• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Tennis 4 announced

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PuppetSlave said:
Hope "on rails" movement is optional like in Grand slam.

Same here.

I absolutely loved controlling my guy and using motion control.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Wow, this probably sold me on Move if exclusive.

I came in here to say this. I'll buy a PS3 finally for this game.

The idea of 3D + Move is so interesting to me. Not to sound cliche but, kinda getting closer to what people perceived virtual reality would be like. Kinda. Maybe.
In my head at least.

And yeah the graphics do look a bit... well, it's early to say really.

My guess is the graphics may need to be scaled back in order to maintain 60FPS in 3D mode.

Whatever the reason. AM3 behind the helm = no worries.

Hydrargyrus

it's me or Sony is doing it very well with Move?

Except for family games, the other games where it's implemented attracts me a lot

Shnookums

I'm not sure if I'm excited or not. Virtua Tennis 2 and 3 were major multiplayer (with friends) addictions for me so the idea of a proper number 4 from AM3 excites me, but I fear that full care won't be given to how this plays with a standard controller and I have my doubts about Move controls for this game being preferable. I'm so confused :(

Pooya

first look - gamespot

Our brief hands-on with the title gave us the chance to take to the court in a match between Roger Federer and Andy Murray.

Walking onto the court--which appeared to at least for demo purposes be locked to clay and hardcourt surfaces--we looked around to admire our legions of adoring fans. The game’s 3D implementation looked reasonable with the net protruding from the foreground. Leaping straight into the action we spent our first game on the serving side, lobbing the ball into the air with a single wrist flick and using a quick downstroke to indicate we wanted it to rocket towards our opposition. Nothing in the basic service and returning mechanics should be foreign to anyone who has played Wii Sports previously. Faster wrist snaps from the peak of our arm arc put a bit more force into our serves, while an on-screen speed indicator gave us the chance to track how quickly we were getting it down the other end.

Our game included only the primary Move peripheral, with no Navigation (formerly called the Move Sub controller) attachment present. As a result, we didn’t manually move our character around the screen as we would with an analog stick, but the game did a good job of automatically shifting our character to keep us within striking distance without cramping our style. Returning the ball was as simple as swinging as you would in real life, though we noticed that while late swings were punished by usually missing the ball, early arm extensions were much more forgiving, getting it over the net, but missing the crucial power to make the other player really work for it.

Once we had nailed the timing, matches were slugged out from the baseline with neither player venturing towards the net. You will be able to get closer by simply taking steps towards the PlayStation Eye camera. Like previous games in the Virtua Tennis series, the action is from a third-person perspective, though in this title when you wind up for a shot, or attempt to return service, the game will drop into first-person mode with the racket becoming your only visible element as it hovers in midair.

Ironically, while the title represents a natural extension of the real-world abilities most people are likely to have experienced at some point in their life, the learning curve on returning balls felt a little bit steep. Advanced players will be able to add slice, backspin, and other tennis stroke mainstays simply by aiming in the intended direction and using the wrist movements associated with the shot

All of the gestures we used to play the game felt natural, though we are concerned about the potential to knock over household items around the lounge room or give doubles partners blackeyes with errant flailing. Virtua Tennis 4 is currently slated for a summer 2011 release.

cakefoo

I missed that part about it knowing you're moving forward IRL. I was wondering if it'd be a baseline game, aka modern tennis. ;)

I came here to post a new offscreen clip showing more gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NElbXKfdys

And wanted to make a comment about the camera system. I think it gets too tight as the balls approach. I'd want to be able to see the opponent and the boundaries as I'm winding up.

jlevel13

I don't know... I feel like the way the camera moves and switches from 3rd to 1st person is too distracting & it seems like it would be hard to play with those constant shifts. I wonder if they might put in a traditional view too? Everything about these demo videos and images seem to be saying the game still has a long ways yet to go...

Interesting hands on from thesixthaxis of VT4. I thought the avatar movements was predetermined no? Well in addition to that TSA stated well I'll just post the quote.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/08/19/hands-on-virtua-tennis-4-with-move/

"Due to the high level of accuracy, and use of the PlayStation Eye , the game knows exactly where you are on the court and your on screen avatar matches it perfectly. Want to get in close to the net? Then simply move forward in real life".

The game also sucks you in and involves you without making you aware of it – you just can’t help but move about and take on the gait of an actual tennis player. The more effort you put in, the better this game feels – although I did end up a bit sweaty!

It also comes with a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ANR-c5J9g&feature=player_embedded

CaVaYeRo

how was it? First she-producer ever? Am3 respect <3

And how are you going to Kinect-control it? It'll be interesting to see if Wii version shares view system or anything with PS3, previous one was un-controlable.

Yeah those character models look awful. Its like they have never looked at another sports game or skin shader tech in the last 8 years. The lighting is also awful.

I originally posted that I like the idea of Move and Kinect controls, but I don't know what the fuck I was smoking. Playing Virtua Tennis 3 I remember how this is a precise arcade game. You don't need motion controls you need a control stick. I hope there are non-motion controls as an option.

ACH1LL3US

Arpharmd B said:
I originally posted that I like the idea of Move and Kinect controls, but I don't know what the fuck I was smoking. Playing Virtua Tennis 3 I remember how this is a precise arcade game. You don't need motion controls you need a control stick. I hope there are non-motion controls as an option.

AGREED... I hope we cant play this with the good old controller!

CaVaYeRo

I'm not sure it will on the Wii version. But at this time, I think they should put it as optional.

However, IMO, GST motion controls >>> VT Wii and any other tennis game to date.

Noshino

Warm Machine said:
Yeah those character models look awful. Its like they have never looked at another sports game or skin shader tech in the last 8 years. The lighting is also awful.

First gameplay, then graphics. Not just because it is a sports game (although it should be standard procedure across the industry), but also it needs further tweaking because they want to make use of the motion sensing controllers.

Top Bottom