• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Anko

Thanks for the impressions anko , plenty of exemples too .

I guess i'm in the waiting camp.
And you know what, that actually saddens me because I want the series to reach a wider audience.

Sigh.

At least I have the Japanese Flowers Automne to look forward to in May. Pre-orders open tomorrow at noon. Happy thoughts. Happy blissful yuri thoughts.

I dont see how this can happen though. Mangagamers translation for Kindred Spirits and How we Meet in the West are amazing in comparsion.

Isn't JAST way bigger? How can there translations be so inferior?

I dont see how this can happen though. Mangagamers translation for Kindred Spirits and How we Meet in the West are amazing in comparsion.

Isn't JAST way bigger? How can there translations be so inferior?

JAST isn't bigger in terms of manpower. They are clearly strapped for contractors as their company head is doing translation work for Seinarukana.

Shizuka

Some thoughts on the localisation of the JAST Flowers demo
I won't be giving my thoughts on the content of the story itself because I will be on the Flowers defense brigade more than anything. So you see, totally biased. What I’ll do is highlight some of the things that really bothered me in this demo. I played through the English demo on its own first (ignoring what they say in Japanese) to see if someone without knowledge of Japanese can make sense of it, after which I played through both the original demo and the JAST demo side by side on two screens just to see how good/bad the translations really were.

So obviously, there will be spoilers for the demo.

Firstly, there is an audio bug in the config page at the title screen. However, this is actually a bug that also exists on the original Flowers printemps. Going into the config at the title screen and trying to leave, switching between windowed and full screen, will cause the audio to bug out. This bug doesn’t occur when you visit the config page from anywhere other than the title page. This was fortunately fixed in the subsequent Flowers été, but they never did patch it in printemps.

Regarding the demo on its own...
There are a number of typos here and there. Not capitalising “I” in “so i don’t really”. An occasional typo. That’s understandable. An unnecessary comma (I’m, so sorry)? Well, alright it didn’t bother me that much. There were grammar mistakes here and there too. This, I’m less forgiving of. I did find myself going “uhh wha?” a number of times, a result I found to be of some not so correctly translated lines. Oddly enough, there were also quite a number of awkward lines in English which turns out, are the result of some very literal translations.

Incorrect translation of that first set of lines aside, If so, no, but…!
(Edit: Ha! Now that I look at the grandfather line again, it actually reads like her granddad traumatised her. Rest assured, her grandfather simply taught her that it's a place where a lot of people hide their secrets in general. So it's bad manners to go probing)

And of course, there’s also this:

Maaaybe it’s a typo. But then…

Arghhhh. Pet peeve. They do use “you’re” properly at times so either Rikka has bad English (I kid, Mayuri did it at least once too. Bad Mayuri), or there is someone on the team who does. Shame on the editor/QC for not catching it either.

On its own, I suppose it’s barely serviceable. You would probably be confused by some lines that really don't make sense.

Well no. Suoh just likes messing with you, Rikka. But in truth they actually got the lines mixed up. It's Rikka who suggests fingerprints, not Suoh. Basic Japanese yo.

So how bad is the translation?
Right off the chapter monologue, I could tell that JAST has taken quite a few shortcuts in their translation, choosing to drop some words and choosing to just get the general message across. Your mileage may vary on this but as someone who likes to pick at every single sentence and nuance, it is not something I like. I do admit that I am on the extreme side of things when it comes to this (like manner of speech of each character in Japanese, but it’s likely hard to preserve that in English). The general audience that doesn't know a lick of Japanese probably won't notice how the voiceovers are saying just a teeny bit more than what the subtitles give, but it's a fact that quite a few lines have been lost in translation. This would probably evolve into a liberal vs literal translation debate but I feel even the most liberal of translations could have been done better. And as I mentioned before, their translation do get very literal at times so it isn’t solely about that.

Let’s take a look at the chapter’s opening monologue in the demo.

The general meaning of the original here is about a Princess who doesn't think twice about hurting the feelings of others, sends girls to the gallows on her absolute orders, and slaughters others mentally/emotionally with her behaviour... but looking at all that, Suoh can't help but feel that it is actually the Princess who seems to be anticipating the gallows herself. Tell me, did you get most of that from their translation? Leaving aside whether or not it was a deliberate switch to Queen or an honest mix up of the Kanji 王女 (Princess) vs 女王 (Queen), would you find such a translation acceptable?

My other issue with JAST’s translation is their choice of wording. This one is minor but using “Whoa” instead of “Oh my” or “Oh dear” when Suoh says “ara”. This is probably more of my personal view of Suoh but she doesn’t strike me as the type to say “Whoa”. There are a number of other words which I would gladly change to make it sound better but this would probably come down to translator preference. The only kind of wording, or mistake, I cannot look past is the type that affects how you would view a character’s personality.

So you deserve it? I knew you wouldn't get it? Did JAST just turn my dear Mayuri into a major bitch? because that is definitely not what she said.

Often times, and this is a rather common problem in translations, they mix up the person doing the action, or the person the text is referring to. The Japanese language can be a little ambiguous at times, and as the reader, you have to use linguistic cues or the context as a whole to clue yourself in to who/what they are referring to. But for translations, you often find the translator interpreting it for you. Unfortunately, that also means that the translator may offer the wrong interpretation, be it due to the lack of skill in identifying said cues or because they do not get the full context of the text being translated. While the latter was sometimes the reason cited for video game localisation (out of order text, etc), I highly doubt that such a text heavy and dependent genre is translated in that manner.

Which brings us back to the purely incorrect sentence I mentioned before…

So... like I said, Suoh didn’t yell. It would really be quite out of character for her to imo. She was remarking upon how terrifyingly angry this person, which you will know is Rikka in a bit, sounds even though she wasn’t shouting. JAST’s translation also sorta misses its mark in terms of conveying Rikka’s anger at what she assumes to be Ichigo accusing her of stealing the books. “What does this mean” sounds more like she was confused and wasn’t sure what was going on. That Rikka thinks Ichigo is accusing her is something they explicitly confirm several lines after.

They also fumble some of the lines in that scene with stuff like:

Ah.. uhm. It’s unnatural to refer to “you” (Rikka) and then “class president’s bed” (also Rikka) in the same sentence. Literal translation at play again. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought that she was suddenly talking to Suoh instead! How rude! I suspect that there’s also a mixup of subject though. Ichigo didn’t specifically mention who it was who found the books in Japanese, but we all know that it was Suoh and Ichigo based on the scene prior to this, or perhaps it could be the school in general looking for the books. Using “we” instead of “you” here would make a lot more sense (We found the missing books on your bed this morning. Aren’t you glad we found them?), especially since Rikka then points out “wouldn’t that imply that it was I who stole the books?” (Ichigo is a little dense and comes to the realization that oh yeah, it would imply that). So that's why she was so angry before... HMMMMmmmm.

I know it’s not a joke but I laughed at this one. You can't be serious. 冗談じゃないわ

Overall, I would have to say that this occasionally feels like a rather lazy translation, where the translator occasionally skips entire words when they feel like it. Some of the words skipped don’t really matter that much (Ichigo didn’t just touch Suoh’s hips and belly, but her breasts too!), but some of them do (the princess who wants to be on the gallows herself; Ichigo helping Suoh up after she caused her to fall on her ass. She’s not that big a bitch). Imagine reading a book that carefully describes to you details that help you form a mental image. Every cough and every twitch the character feels (not to the point where it is overdone, mind you). Then imagine if JAST removes the majority of that so that you don’t get to see as much as you were supposed to. I understand that not everything can be captured in a translation but not to this extent… Odd lines here and there are left out every now and then, for reasons I cannot comprehend. It’s not difficult to incorporate some of those words into the sentence.

And did I mention how bad some of the lines sound?

Reading that gave me a headache. A quick and dirty edit would be…
Unable to control my emotions, my hands shook. Needless to say, my cheeks and even my neck reddened (It’s past tense in the original).

There really is a lot more that I could mention but that would make this post a lot longer than it already is. And to be honest, I got tired comparing them side by side and mostly stopped somewhere in the library (aside from those two Mayuri SSs, which grabbed my eye on my first play through of the English one). I'm sure there were a lot more horrendous text after that but I figure anything more would just be me kicking a dead horse.

Translations aside...
They have also skimped on presentation of the chapter monologue text. In the original, the text appears in narrative caption boxes on the screen, appearing all over the screen, flowing from right to left. JAST leaves all of that out and uses simple subtitles. I kind of recall Sugina Miki tweeting about the effort they put into the presentation there years ago so it's sad that it didn't survive localisation. Thankfully, the other speech bubbles do remain.

On a more positive note, I give them props for bothering to find the right quote from “The Public Enemy” instead of translating from the Japanese version of it, which could have potentially lead to a quote that wouldn’t match the original word for word in English.

Music is as glorious as I remember at least. Thank MANYO. That's one thing localisation can't screw up.
I actually really do wish that JAST operates on JAST time. Delay it dammit. It's not ready for March 2016.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much is the current localization unacceptable?

And you know what, that actually saddens me because I want the series to reach a wider audience.

Sigh.

At least I have the Japanese Flowers Automne to look forward to in May. Pre-orders open tomorrow at noon. Happy thoughts. Happy blissful yuri thoughts.

This sadden me too .. as i REALLY like yuri VNs

Anko

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much is the current localization unacceptable?
I would say 11 for making my Mayuri sound like a huge jerk.

In all seriousness, 8.
You will get the basic gist of the story. There will be certain parts you don't get due to mistranslations. The characters you will come to know are going to be different from the ones I know. And you will have a headache reading some of those lines because the sentences can get verrrrry awkward.

flowers tl is so bad it's kinda amazing for a "pro" release
Not even these tweets managed to capture all the mistakes in the demo.

Venom Awakens...was expecting more salt.

https://twitter.com/jastusa

"Thanks to some who have pointed out issues with the Flowers demo. All issues will be fixed in the final release."

Yeah. I'm sure the issues in the demo will highlight the issues in the script as a whole for them to fix. Srsly? They hired an incompetent translator. They need to re-do the damn script.

https://twitter.com/OmisoshiruNet/status/703021761252569089
Let's see if they can get it fixed, because I am this close to tweeting InnoGrey about it.

CrovaxPSO

The issues with Flowers are a real bummer. I hope they're able to clean it up for release. Excited to get an order in for the autumn volume though (and the soundtrack). Waiting on the summer fan book to go up as well.

Anko

The issues with Flowers are a real bummer. I hope they're able to clean it up for release. Excited to get an order in for the autumn volume though (and the soundtrack). Waiting on the summer fan book to go up as well.

It is supposed to be up I think. Amazon has it (them classifying everything under software, read: no international, annoys me to no end). It is also up on the InnoGrey site. Amiami... doesn't have any of the 3 listed yet.

Having their games released on a Friday gives me grief too. It never gets to me before the weekend is over. Fedex could but gets software stuck in customs due to their insistence on declaring all software. EMS has a 50-50 chance it can deliver next day. DHL, is not an option on most sites. It is on Amazon but Amazon doesn't ship software internationally ಠ_ಠ #rant

New Flowers Aki-hen teasers:
Yuzuriha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oPW14hhx78
Nerine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub9P9KBVPRY

I really need that soundtrack

Jazz573

It is supposed to be up I think. Amazon has it (them classifying everything under software, read: no international, annoys me to no end). It is also up on the InnoGrey site. Amiami... doesn't have any of the 3 listed yet.

Having their games released on a Friday gives me grief too. It never gets to me before the weekend is over. Fedex could but gets software stuck in customs due to their insistence on declaring all software. EMS has a 50-50 chance it can deliver next day. DHL, is not an option on most sites. It is on Amazon but Amazon doesn't ship software internationally ಠ_ಠ #rant

Yuzuriha:
Nerine:

That's why I use a proxy. Tenso.com is good and actually quite cheap.

Anko

That's why I use a proxy. Tenso.com is good and actually quite cheap.
Yeah, I do use them among others but deputy can never be fast enough for me. Direct through AmiAmi would be faster than anything that involves a deputy. I can hardly contain my excitement after a bunch of short teasers filled with mostly text. I have a renewed love for Mizusawa Kei.

On the flowers localisation front, it seems it has blown up quite a bit. Hopefully this forces them to do something about it. Reading about the translator for kindred spirits wanting to translate flowers before it was snagged by JAST makes me sad.

Anko

Did someone give Flowers demo another go after this supposed "fix"?
Just finished it. It's better but it's not much of a fix if you ask me. It's obvious that they contacted that someone on twitter who posted a bunch of errors and fixed it according to his list. But of course, this one person didn't spot everything so there are still a number of glaring mistakes. It... makes it worse for them in a way. Where's their not-so-alpha script now?

Welp. They say that it's still an alpha script and that they're still trying to fix things. And the guy on twitter says they've only fixed 25% of the problems he listed.

Apparently they are setting up a new team for Flowers?

@jastusa Some issues were fixed and it's a little more understandable overall. But, I still think some more work ought to be done.

@AmberTeahouse I agree, that's why we're setting up a team to work on it, new demo patch will follow soon-ish.

Though I'm not sure how much they can really do if they are just editing it and aren't changing the release date.

cj_iwakura

I would say 11 for making my Mayuri sound like a huge jerk.

In all seriousness, 8.
You will get the basic gist of the story. There will be certain parts you don't get due to mistranslations. The characters you will come to know are going to be different from the ones I know. And you will have a headache reading some of those lines because the sentences can get verrrrry awkward.

Not even these tweets managed to capture all the mistakes in the demo.

Yeah. I'm sure the issues in the demo will highlight the issues in the script as a whole for them to fix. Srsly? They hired an incompetent translator. They need to re-do the damn script.

https://twitter.com/OmisoshiruNet/status/703021761252569089
Let's see if they can get it fixed, because I am this close to tweeting InnoGrey about it.

If nothing else, shouldn't be too hard to get a patch or a retranslation to fix their crap. Hell, I'll help if someone wants.

CrovaxPSO

Yuzuriha:
Nerine:

Yeah I definitely want to order from Amiami. Still isn't up that I can see so maybe they won't have it listed until Monday.

Jesus, has Jast ever gotten such a huge internet backlash? And from a game, that caters to the already niche Yuri crowd to boot. Never piss off Yuri fans...

Anko

Jesus, has Jast ever gotten such a huge internet backlash? And from a game, that caters to the already niche Yuri crowd to boot. Never piss off Yuri fans...
Kindred spirits releasing shortly before with a capable localisation probably didn't help.

Flowers just happens to be dear to a number of us and Aki-hen, which is about to be released, is making me very hyped, which is perhaps why I feel so strongly about it getting the release it deserves. If they screwed up SonoHana (sorry, I know you're a fan and I mean no offense) I probably wouldn't care since that's a nukige anyway. This, to me, is like if someone localised Akai Ito, made Kei (RIP Matsuki-san) an annoying idiot with some unfortunate word choices and removed all the play on words the original had. I would be livid. It's old but it's a series dear to many.

And I'm really passionate about my yuri *whimper*

Edit: I'll add that like Akaiito, Flowers is a game that is rather particular about its use of words. I mean. The language of flowers even forms the basis of this vn..

If nothing else, shouldn't be too hard to get a patch or a retranslation to fix their crap. Hell, I'll help if someone wants.
I really hope it doesn't come down to that.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Welp...

To Our Backers,

Due to ongoing legal issues and noncompliance by the circle, SRL, we regret to inform everyone that we must cancel this campaign. While due diligence was made to make sure that all aspects of the Kickstarter campaign were fulfilled, in the end the great financial loss and damage to our reputation was too much.

Refunds will be offered for undelivered physical copies of the game. Please email support@sekaiproject.com with the subject "WAS Backer - Physical Refund" and in the body of the text please include your paypal address.

Whatever physical products that were made will still be shipped to backers. More details will be made available once fulfillment begins.

Regarding the shikishi, unfortunately, requests to SRL to make sure that there were enough shikishi for the backers was unfulfilled.Thus we will be also offering refunds for the shikishi as well.

Circumstances beyond our control prevented us from better informing everyone of what was going on as it serves no one any good to speak negatively about the developer. Nevertheless, we at Sekai Project want to extend a sincere apology to everyone affected.

The Hourglass of Lepidoptera will be removed from Steam as soon as possible. However, those of you who already have a Steam key will still be able to keep your copy of the game.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

This sucks :/ I know I heard it was meh but ugh! I was happy cause they said they were printing the artbook and manga. I guess those will be done at least but geeze, I wonder what happened?? Time to get a refund then...

EDIT: Didn't read the whole thing but whoa, it's being removed from Steam too?! Guess I should redeem my code then! Was planning on selling it with the physical copy coming in, but now I'll need to use it!

Lain

Welp...

This sucks :/ I know I heard it was meh but ugh! I was happy cause they said they were printing the artbook and manga. I guess those will be done at least but geeze, I wonder what happened?? Time to get a refund then...

EDIT: Didn't read the whole thing but whoa, it's being removed from Steam too?! Guess I should redeem my code then! Was planning on selling it with the physical copy coming in, but now I'll need to use it!

17,99€ Is a bit too high for me to try and grab it before ti disappears (it was on my wishlist but I was waiting on a good sale).
Though, on Steam it shows the publisher to be SRL, not Sekai. Why would it need to be taken down?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
17,99€ Is a bit too high for me to try and grab it before ti disappears (it was on my wishlist but I was waiting on a good sale).
Though, on Steam it shows the publisher to be SRL, not Sekai. Why would it need to be taken down?

Who knows... wish I knew what was going on with SRL. Looks like they didn't like... something.

I'm a WAS backer and ..i pledged for physical !

WHAT THE HECK ... i'm NOT HAPPY by this turn of events.

It's one of the few Vn kickstarter i've asked for a Real copy ( i usually are happy with digital ).

It's seriously not good.

graywolf323

apparently the publisher changed from Sekai Project to SRL

apparently the publisher changed from Sekai Project to SRL

I really wonder if that is legally possible. I mean if they had a contract with SP and SP wants to remove it from Steam, can they just change the publisher? Then the question is who has the copyright for the translation? If its SP, SLR couldnt just leave it on Steam.

Seems like a mess honestly...

Shizuka

I really wonder if that is legally possible. I mean if they had a contract with SP and SP wants to remove it from Steam, can they just change the publisher? Then the question is who has the copyright for the translation? If its SP, SLR couldnt just leave it on Steam.

Seems like a mess honestly...

Didn't this happen between Agatsuma and Degica regarding the Umihara Sakura Kawase title?

Didn't this happen between Agatsuma and Degica regarding the Umihara Sakura Kawase title?

But Agatsuma went under and it seems there was no "bad blood" between them.

From reading SP statement, it seems like there was issues with the collabeoration beside those two, so I wonder what will happen.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
But Agatsuma went under and it seems there was no "bad blood" between them.

From reading SP statement, it seems like there was issues with the collabeoration beside those two, so I wonder what will happen.

Reading the KS page, SRL is made up of a bunch of people around Japan, almost not even like a really combined group. They might've worled fine doing the game, but sounds like it might have been a nightmare to deal with as another party.

Lain

I guess the IP belongs to SRL. Who holds the rights over the translation is the more apt question. But with the change in publisher from Sekai to SRL, I guess the game will still stay up for a while.

WAS has long been an utter disaster, so I'm not shocked here.
The game is really bad anyway, you don't want to spend money on it.

And there's also this that wasn't in the email:
It was also discovered that SRL engaged in stealth marketing tactics using paid reviews which violates Steam's Terms of Service. At that point, we had no choice but to terminate our relationship with SRL.

Jazz573

So wait, refunds won't be offered to people who didn't back through Paypal?

Edit: Oh, they want your Paypal address so they can refund the money to it. Fortunately, I do have one, but I guess people who don't, are screwed? That sucks. ;(

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, refunds won't be offered to people who didn't back through Paypal?

Edit: Oh, they want your Paypal address so they can refund the money to it. Fortunately, I do have one, but I guess people who don't, are screwed? That sucks. ;(

...I emailed for a refund last night when I was half awake. Just realized from this post that I paid with card. For some reason I thought it was a Paypal payment, but no. Huh... yeah I wonder what will happen with that, then. They emailed me back asking for my Kickstarter email, since it is different from my Paypal one, but I guess I'll wait and see :/

Top Bottom