• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

If I like Phoenix Wright 1-3 a lot and want to play more VNs where is a good place to start? Planning on finally playing 999 on my ds and getting VLR on 3ds. Am I on the right track?

Yeah, that's nonsense. They were working on the game before Sekai Project even announced that they licensed it.

If memory serves they were waiting to see if the Xtend Edition would be ported to PC for a couple of years before starting progress on it. They certainly planned to translate RD long before becoming affiliated with SP, so maybe they started work on it too.

If I like Phoenix Wright 1-3 a lot and want to play more VNs where is a good place to start? Planning on finally playing 999 on my ds and getting VLR on 3ds. Am I on the right track?

999's one of the worst places you can start because it'll ruin every other VN bar VLR for you.

VLR is the GOAT and 999 is the runner-up GOAT. Get VLR digitally, it has a rather infamous save bug patched.

999's one of the worst places you can start because it'll ruin every other VN bar VLR for you.

VLR is the GOAT and 999 is the runner-up GOAT. Get VLR digitally, it has a rather infamous save bug patched.

They're that good? What do I play instead? What do you mean get VLR digitally? Any reason why?

Shizuka

Yeah... No. I respect your opinion, but there's nothing that close to being unanimous in the visual novel genre, let alone it being 999 and not several other games.

They're that good? What do I play instead? What do you mean get VLR digitally? Any reason why?

No, that's bad advice. 999 is a good place to start, and it won't ruin anything. It's not even the best work from that particularly writer.

If memory serves they were waiting to see if the Xtend Edition would be ported to PC for a couple of years before starting progress on it. They certainly planned to translate RD long before becoming affiliated with SP, so maybe they started work on it too.
They certainly didn't translate the game in a few months, let alone a few weeks.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

jU9hFGCl.png

As you've never played 999, I wouldn't suggest 999: The Novel. I'd go with Banshee's Last Cry and Fragment Notes.

Thank you. Although Banshee's Last Cry is more my thing than Fragment Notes. I like my VN's to be either serious or kind of a mix of serious implications with comical tone (AA and Ghost Trick).

Fragment Notes doesn't interest me much. I'm a girl and like men...it seems aimed at people attracted to school girls.

Last Days of Spring looks good. Not interested in any date VNs at all but romance isn't inherently a negative. I'd love a romance VN on par with Kare Kano, though!

I finally finished all of the bonus stuff in Kindred Spirits (and there was a lot more of it than I was expecting). The character work in it is really good. I was worried that it'd spread itself a bit thin with so many couples, but it mostly managed to avoid this. And the extra scenes post-ending helped really flesh things out by showing characters interact that they hadn't put together on screen much. It does suffer from the same thing a lot of yuri stories do where it doesn't take place in the real world, but one in which no men exist and (almost) every woman is a lesbian. The game throws a few nods at addressing real world concerns with sexual identity, but never really does much with it. But the quality of the characterizations make it work, I'd definitely recommend the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=197841487

Made a (long overdue) OT for Kindred Spirits. Anything to advance the glorious yuritopian cause.
Nice timing, I'll cross-post this.

Shizuka

Thank you. Although Banshee's Last Cry is more my thing than Fragment Notes. I like my VN's to be either serious or kind of a mix of serious implications with comical tone (AA and Ghost Trick).

Fragment Notes doesn't interest me much. I'm a girl and like men...it seems aimed at people attracted to school girls.

Last Days of Spring looks good. Not interested in any date VNs at all but romance isn't inherently a negative. I'd love a romance VN on par with Kare Kano, though!

Banshee's Last Cry is definitely the top choice for you, then. There are a few otome titles on iOS that are worth your while (you control a girl and date guys), but you'd be better off asking on the otome thread for specific iOS titles since I'm mostly knowledgeable on console and handheld otomes.

Caught a VN fever. Finished eden* (didn't cry as much as I thought I would) and Higurashi chapter 1. Now onto Kindred Spirits on the Roof!

Also I checked my MuvLuv backerkit and I've got the physical PC edition selected. D'oh! I was looking forward to physical Vita but it seems the whole thing is locked down so I'll just deal with it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone read hakuai?

I played through Sakuya's good and bad ends a month or so ago and then got distracted with something else. I read a couple of general spoilers for the rest of the routes and haven't had a lot of motivation to revisit it even though there were a ton of unanswered questions.

All I've heard is that:
Kaede's route best explains the supernatural elements of the plot
Itsuki bad end has cannibalism
Nao's bad end pushes the Cero C rating lol

Tbh all I signed up for when I started was an ichaicha yuri game with yukarin and didn't expect it to turn out like this ▄█▀█● I can kind of guess the nature of the other characters but am still slightly curious about the details
(and also how Asuka recovered from getting her guts stabbed out)
. If I did continue playing I'd probably just run through Kaede and Nao's routes. Is it worth playing those for the plot/revelations if none of the remaining characters interest me from a character relationship standpoint?

Anko

Has anyone read hakuai?

I played through Sakuya's good and bad ends a month or so ago and then got distracted with something else. I read a couple of general spoilers for the rest of the routes and haven't had a lot of motivation to revisit it even though there were a ton of unanswered questions.

All I've heard is that:
Kaede's route best explains the supernatural elements of the plot
Itsuki bad end has cannibalism
Nao's bad end pushes the Cero C rating lol

Tbh all I signed up for when I started was an ichaicha yuri game with yukarin and didn't expect it to turn out like this ▄█▀█● I can kind of guess the nature of the other characters but am still slightly curious about the details
(and also how Asuka recovered from getting her guts stabbed out)
. If I did continue playing I'd probably just run through Kaede and Nao's routes. Is it worth playing those for the plot/revelations if none of the remaining characters interest me from a character relationship standpoint?
Yurige (and every other yuri medium) extraordinaire at your service. Please. Ask away.

Love your reaction. I am guessing you never played ShiroKoi, it's spiritual predecessor? It's actually why I love the series really. There's nothing else like it. If you want pure ichaicha, it looks like the upcoming Lyrical Rainbow Stage should fill that niche? With several notable seiyuu too.

To answer your question, but I am totally biased so take that into account, yes it is. While Sakuya's route answers some questions, you will only get the full picture if you finish Itsuki and Nao's as well. And I dare say your impression of certain characters will probably change after you finish their routes. So, just do it. I found them all very fun and all the characters lovable although my favorite character is Sakuya.

As for your spoilers, the one with regards to Kaede's route is wrong. Her route has
the least to do with the main mystery, and thus the supernatural element. It's the most straightforward relationship drama without those elements, IIRC
. And I personally liked her route least but your mileage may vary.

There's tons of ichaicha going on too, but let's just say the director jokes that this is in the キラ☆ふわ category. I definitely was creeped out by Itsuki's bad end during the slow, eventual reveal.

Edit:
Flowers has gotten another update. This time, many of the major translation errors that I have noticed have been fixed. There's still some typos, but not too many. Merumeru, the new translation checker has an update post on her blog. Now that the whole script will be looked over, it leaves me rather hopeful that Flowers will at the very least receive a script that's not a total disaster.

Shizuka

I must've mentioned several times before, but I pulled the trigger on my iPad Air two weeks after Banshee's Last Cry was released for iOS, since I knew I wouldn't be able to wait for the Android version. I'm glad I did, or else I'd have been waiting until today for that.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yurige (and every other yuri medium) extraordinaire at your service. Please. Ask away.

Love your reaction. I am guessing you never played ShiroKoi, it's spiritual predecessor? It's actually why I love the series really. There's nothing else like it. If you want pure ichaicha, it looks like the upcoming Lyrical Rainbow Stage should fill that niche? With several notable seiyuu too.

To answer your question, but I am totally biased so take that into account, yes it is. While Sakuya's route answers some questions, you will only get the full picture if you finish Itsuki and Nao's as well. And I dare say your impression of certain characters will probably change after you finish their routes. So, just do it. I found them all very fun and all the characters lovable although my favorite character is Sakuya.

As for your spoilers, the one with regards to Kaede's route is wrong. Her route has
the least to do with the main mystery, and thus the supernatural element. It's the most straightforward relationship drama without those elements, IIRC
. And I personally liked her route least but your mileage may vary.

There's tons of ichaicha going on too, but let's just say the director jokes that this is in the キラ☆ふわ category. I definitely was creeped out by Itsuki's bad end during the slow, eventual reveal.

Edit:
Flowers has gotten another update. This time, many of the major translation errors that I have noticed have been fixed. There's still some typos, but not too many. Merumeru, the new translation checker has an update post on her blog. Now that the whole script will be looked over, it leaves me rather hopeful that Flowers will at the very least receive a script that's not a total disaster.
Yeah I considered picking up the psp version of shirokoi since kogado had a sale on psn a few weeks ago but thought I would give hakuai a go first. Still pretty new to yurige, mostly picked it up because the art was nice and I saw this floating around at one point:
(´⊙Д⊙`)

Might run through Itsuki and Nao's route at some point then, currently playing flowers and I've got natsu hen queued up for after ( ´-д-) zzz

Shizuka

JAST USA said on Twitter (for the second time) that the Flowers demo has been fixed, yet again. I wonder if anyone is bothering to play it again and again to see how it's improving.

Jazz573

Didn't work with the 18+ games I tried, people need to do thier research.

I didn't say it would work with 18+ games. I just posted that you can now buy games without a proxy, not any specific type. And it says right on a page whether it can be shipped. It's still useful for console VNs.

Anko

It's only working for console games I believe.

Yup. As far as I can tell, nothing classified under PC can be shipped overseas, and that includes Innocent Grey's fanbooks. I'm still glad we have the option. A game costs 691 yen to ship to me. 811 yen for two items. That's fucking cheap. If this is next day DHL like the rest of Amazon Japan's shipping then they've got me in the bag. KanColle is out of my reach for some reason though.

JAST USA said on Twitter (for the second time) that the Flowers demo has been fixed, yet again. I wonder if anyone is bothering to play it again and again to see how it's improving.
Already did:
Basically, Suoh's grandfather no longer sounds like a creep. Suoh is no longer stupidly suggesting fingerprints only to have Rikka ask if she was serious, before replying that no, they don't have the tech. But most importantly, Mayuri isn't going hmph all over the place when she laughs or giggles anymore. Her lines have been corrected so she doesn't sound like a horrible person anymore.

Yeah I considered picking up the psp version of shirokoi since kogado had a sale on psn a few weeks ago but thought I would give hakuai a go first. Still pretty new to yurige, mostly picked it up because the art was nice and I saw this floating around at one point:

(´⊙Д⊙`)

Might run through Itsuki and Nao's route at some point then, currently playing flowers and I've got natsu hen queued up for after ( ´-д-) zzz
I would love to discuss all of those with you when you're done. As for that pic, it's bittersweet isn't it? If you're thirsting for more afterstory, Kogado has been busy providing short stories as tokuten for their goods. And I've been busy collecting them. Orz

Marche90

So, I got a Vita

Finally playing through DR2. It's been a long time coming.

The only bad thing is that I have no idea which VNs are in the store or upcoming good ones :lol:

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to discuss all of those with you when you're done. As for that pic, it's bittersweet isn't it? If you're thirsting for more afterstory, Kogado has been busy providing short stories as tokuten for their goods. And I've been busy collecting them. Orz
Yeah, it seemed innocent enough even for what it is, but there's so much more going on in that screen with context lol. I was fairly satisfied with Sakuya's conclusion despite its weirdness though.

I'm literally probably about 30 minutes away from finishing Mayuri's route in flowers. I think when I'm done I'm not going to have any motivation to do Rikka's though.
The stunt she pulled in Mayuri's route makes it really hard to like her as a character ( ´_ゝ`)
In terms of "mysteries" and other events, how much does the story even change on her route anyways? Also curious about which route becomes canon for natsu hen
(in my mind it would be Mayuri but I haven't seen her in any promotional material for natsu hen and onwards, which worries me)

Anko

Yeah, it seemed innocent enough even for what it is, but there's so much more going on in that screen with context lol. I was fairly satisfied with Sakuya's conclusion despite its weirdness though.

I'm literally probably about 30 minutes away from finishing Mayuri's route in flowers. I think when I'm done I'm not going to have any motivation to do Rikka's though.
The stunt she pulled in Mayuri's route makes it really hard to like her as a character ( ´_ゝ`)
In terms of "mysteries" and other events, how much does the story even change on her route anyways? Also curious about which route becomes canon for natsu hen
(in my mind it would be Mayuri but I haven't seen her in any promotional material for natsu hen and onwards, which worries me)
Flowers is actually a pretty linear VN. The sub route is not as fleshed out as the main route, and they generally overlap a lot. You don't get different mysteries but you do get other scenes with other characters. Strangely, you spend more time with Rikka in Mayuri's route, more time with Mayuri in Rikka's route. There's also a scene with Nerine in Rikka's route that hints at Autumn so do go through that for those. This is assuming you went pure Mayuri in your Mayuri playthrough, as it could go either way depending on who you're leaning towards at that point. And you should
be giving all the right answers in Mayuri's route (look at the yuri flower indicator)
as it unlocks an extra scene. The
Mayuri route
is the Canon route. If it's any consolation, (Rikka's route ending spoilers)
Rikka gets friend zoned
in her route IIRC, and she's (super mild summer spoiler)
a lot more likeable
in summer.

And don't you want to know how that Sakuya thing goes in Hakuai? The aftermath. It gets even weirder when
Sakuya regains her memories and they all compete for her affection
. We get the in between too, as the two of them getting
married was never an easy thing given how uhh ..stabby their relationship is.

So LOL, the Highway Blossoms devs made some unflattering comments towards Kindred Spirits, and they were ripped apart on /U/ and apparently twitter.

Fanbase seems rather vicious (I love the game, but man...)
/u/ seems pretty calm to me, calling the person who brought it up overreacting. The majority seem to think he's allowed to have an opinion.

So LOL, the Highway Blossoms devs made some unflattering comments towards Kindred Spirits, and they were ripped apart on /U/ and apparently twitter.

Fanbase seems rather vicious (I love the game, but man...)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Flowers is actually a pretty linear VN. The sub route is not as fleshed out as the main route, and they generally overlap a lot. You don't get different mysteries but you do get other scenes with other characters. Strangely, you spend more time with Rikka in Mayuri's route, more time with Mayuri in Rikka's route. There's also a scene with Nerine in Rikka's route that hints at Autumn so do go through that for those. This is assuming you went pure Mayuri in your Mayuri playthrough, as it could go either way depending on who you're leaning towards at that point. And you should
be giving all the right answers in Mayuri's route (look at the yuri flower indicator)
as it unlocks an extra scene. The
Mayuri route
is the Canon route. If it's any consolation, (Rikka's route ending spoilers)
Rikka gets friend zoned
in her route IIRC, and she's (super mild summer spoiler)
a lot more likeable
in summer.

And don't you want to know how that Sakuya thing goes in Hakuai? The aftermath. It gets even weirder when
Sakuya regains her memories and they all compete for her affection
. We get the in between too, as the two of them getting
married was never an easy thing given how uhh ..stabby their relationship is.
WHAT THE HELL AT THAT ENDING (`゚A゚´)

I'm pretty sure I went full Mayuri on all choices so I'm assuming the extra scene/true end is the one with Mayuri getting kicked out and Dalia/Rikka coming to Suou at the gazebo. Not sure if I want to bother seeing more Mayuri scenes after knowing how it ends up.

Does Mayuri get acknowledged at all in natsu hen, or does Suou take a backseat for that? Yaegaki is likeable enough for me to try part 2, but if it ends on a similar tone I'm not sure I'm up for part 3 even though Yuzuriha is my favorite so far. Aaaaaah, bittersweet (mostly bitter) endings like this are so unsatisfying for me.

I am fuming lol (ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

As for hakuai, do you mean from the bonus material/short stories, or does post-Sakuya route continue in the other routes somehow?

Anko

WHAT THE HELL AT THAT ENDING (`゚A゚´)

I'm pretty sure I went full Mayuri on all choices so I'm assuming the extra scene/true end is the one with Mayuri getting kicked out and Dalia/Rikka coming to Suou at the gazebo. Not sure if I want to bother seeing more Mayuri scenes after knowing how it ends up.

Does Mayuri get acknowledged at all in natsu hen, or does Suou take a backseat for that? Yaegaki is likeable enough for me to try part 2, but if it ends on a similar tone I'm not sure I'm up for part 3 even though Yuzuriha is my favorite so far. Aaaaaah, bittersweet (mostly bitter) endings like this are so unsatisfying for me.

I am fuming lol (ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

As for hakuai, do you mean from the bonus material/short stories, or does post-Sakuya route continue in the other routes somehow?
That reaction. Yes. We all went through that. Lol.
But no, that's not the extra scene I'm talking about. Suoh and
Mayuri make a promise to do something under the gazebo
. It's a short but really cute scene that adds so much
heartache because of the origin of the aiaigasa

Do play 2. I promise you won't regret it. While Yaegaki takes over, do remember that
she cares about Suoh, even if she's all tsun about it. They won't leave it hanging. Suoh's story will span the entire 4 arcs, something InnoGrey had to assure fans on Twitter of shortly after release because of everyone's reaction. Mayuri's departure is a mystery that Suoh will want to unravel as much as we do
. I'm very hyped for 3 at the moment. All the longing and forbidden/unrequited/possibly tragic feel of the teasers are driving me insane. It's a return to the roots of yuri.

The hakuai post sakuya scenes are unfortunately only in short story form. You do get a bit more background on
their past
in other routes though.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
That reaction. Yes. We all went through that. Lol.
But no, that's not the extra scene I'm talking about. Suoh and
Mayuri make a promise to do something under the gazebo
. It's a short but really cute scene that adds so much
heartache because of the origin of the aiaigasa

Do play 2. I promise you won't regret it. While Yaegaki takes over, do remember that
she cares about Suoh, even if she's all tsun about it. They won't leave it hanging. Suoh's story will span the entire 4 arcs, something InnoGrey had to assure fans on Twitter of shortly after release because of everyone's reaction. Mayuri's departure is a mystery that Suoh will want to unravel as much as we do
. I'm very hyped for 3 at the moment. All the longing and forbidden/unrequited/possibly tragic feel of the teasers are driving me insane. It's a return to the roots of yuri.

The hakuai post sakuya scenes are unfortunately only in short story form. You do get a bit more background on
their past
in other routes though.
I hope that ends up the case because I've never been this mad at a VN (while cautiously anticipating the rest).
I wonder if they ended it this way so that players wanting a happier conclusion would stick with the series (keep buying the games) until the end to see it.

At this rate winter will be 2017 right? Been playing the vita version and a bit worried that the next 2 entries won't get ports considering the poor sales numbers (1.7k first week) for the first two. Afaik they've only announced the PC version of autumn at this point.

Might take a break with some other gaming before starting on summer ( ´-д-) zzz

Anko

I hope that ends up the case because I've never been this mad at a VN (while cautiously anticipating the rest).
I wonder if they ended it this way so that players wanting a happier conclusion would stick with the series (keep buying the games) until the end to see it.

At this rate winter will be 2017 right? Been playing the vita version and a bit worried that the next 2 entries won't get ports considering the poor sales numbers (1.7k first week) for the first two. Afaik they've only announced the PC version of autumn at this point.

Might take a break with some other gaming before starting on summer ( ´-д-) zzz

Yup. It'll be 2017 if they keep up the pace. While it's not a certainty that Autumn will get a port, the PSV ports always gets announced some time after the PC version has been released, never together.

In reply to your spoiler: I actually think
they risk losing customers because not everyone can take it. I reckon I'll be back to ease everyone's rage when JAST releases spring

Anko

OMG Anko.

SOMEONE PICKED UP AKAIITO! Last update to the patch was March 2nd! We might actually get a fully translated, patched Akaiito. I

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v8f8gzT-wCgbmKmhTvqoMTAux965OpR3Er7_e8u502Y/mobilebasic
Well.. In that time since Zohar stopped, I've picked up Japanese :x, and my PS2 and PS3 have long retired.

The only news Akaiito news I'll get excited for will be a pc port or another sequel, but I'm really happy for you and the other fans. Sakuya's route is one of my favourite alongside Yumei's.

I'm also not ready to return to Kei yet...
It's through Kei that I became a Matsuki fan after all.

Well.. In that time since Zohar stopped, I've picked up Japanese :x, and my PS2 and PS3 have long retired.

The only news Akaiito news I'll get excited for will be a pc port or another sequel, but I'm really happy for you and the other fans. Sakuya's route is one of my favourite alongside Yumei's.

I'm also not ready to return to Kei yet...
It's through Kei that I became a Matsuki fan after all.
While I truly appreciate Zohar's work, It was really annoying reading the translation beside the game on my PS3.

Originally the patch only had Yumei's route, but now it includes fully translated Yumei , Uzuki (lol the best ones), and Nozomi's.

There's an alpha for partially translated Tzundara (my least favorite route), and Sakyua, so it seems the actual (and quite frankly most important thing) is almost done. Thank god.

Was waiting for a patch forever...well better late then never.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it's getting a PC version so it'd happen officially or not I don't really take it as teasing but I imagine Steiner would like to jump on more Science series stuff either way.

Top Bottom