• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Just scanned through their store and my mind was blown. It seems completely random how they choose games to translate. You can find absolute gems like Burst Eve Error among twenty fap games and they just don't care. I think if they translate less trash like those softhouse-seal titles and actually put the effort into something worthwhile they can really expand their business. Or maybe they are doing just fine, I dunno.
I really like how they both translate fetishist stuff a la Starless *and* serious stuff like Higurashi or Fata Morgana,and try to do both justice.

Marche90

Just scanned through their store and my mind was blown. It seems completely random how they choose games to translate. You can find absolute gems like Burst Eve Error among twenty fap games and they just don't care. I think if they translate less trash like those softhouse-seal titles and actually put the effort into something worthwhile they can really expand their business. Or maybe they are doing just fine, I dunno.

Those are their biggest bread winners, so they can't drop translating those. Good thing we have Steam now, since their biggest titles can receive the proper visibility without showing the Nukige titles and diminishing the brand. It's the best compromise they can do now.

The blog and the specific title pages do need more visibility imo, tho.

MangaGamer is now going to offer free 18+ patches for all of their Steam games.

Yay! Most likely from here on I'll get most of their games on Steam. Regional pricing is a godsend and helps me to get more games. I hope this move will help them to move more copies in the future. Seriously, they are the freaking best

Yay! Most likely from here on I'll get most of their games on Steam. Regional pricing is a godsend and helps me to get more games. I hope this move will help them to move more copies in the future. Seriously, they are the freaking best

Actually , this is my stance as well . If the steam games get patched , then i can get those on steam rather than bothering with their store.

aravuus

I'm like 30 minutes into Dies Irae and it is hilariously over the top to the extent that it's hard to say whether or not some of this stuff was purposefully written more tongue-in-cheek rather than trying to seriously be ~cool~.

So in other words, it's been pretty much what I hoped it'd be! Not sure if the animeness (forgive me for using anime as an adjective, but it just fits) of it can carry it till the end for me since it's supposedly very long, but for now, I'm definitely reading this for the rest of the night.

Almost feel like grabbing a coffee and staying up till 3am, reading this.

Knurek

I'm like 30 minutes into Dies Irae and it is hilariously over the top to the extent that it's hard to say whether or not some of this stuff was purposefully written more tongue-in-cheek rather than trying to seriously be ~cool~.

So in other words, it's been pretty much what I hoped it'd be! Not sure if the animeness (forgive me for using anime as an adjective, but it just fits) of it can carry it till the end for me since it's supposedly very long, but for now, I'm definitely reading this for the rest of the night.

The fact that I've seen the game compared to Bakemonogatari of all things says that I will clearly enjoy it.

Just... final Steins;Zero route to go. God, the pacing issues this series has... Umineko is like a never-ending rollercoaster compared to Steins;Gate games...
Also pathos. So much unnecessary pathos...

I think it's pretty awesome, myself. I was leery at first because...er, the prominent art has people in SS uniforms, but this is fantastic beyond measure. I've never read a book this engaging, that's for sure.

That prologue monologue was amazing. They start off talking about determinism and eternal recurrence with a metaphor and then they DON'T FUCKING STOP. Like, 20 lines all saying the same exact thing. I kept expecting the monologue to end after every other line.

This game is also in dire need of an Umineko-style character page, since apparently everybody has a name, a title, a nickname and a preferred manner of address. I thought the priest and the blonde nazi were the same person for like the first hour. Hell, all VNs with more than a dozen major character do.

Kinda dislike Kasumi though, maybe it's just my vitriol for the character archetype speaking. Is her route skippable? Everything I've heard seems to suggest the routes are FSN-esque and all contribute to the overall setting and story.

Kinda dislike Kasumi though, maybe it's just my vitriol for the character archetype speaking. Is her route skippable? Everything I've heard seems to suggest the routes are FSN-esque and all contribute to the overall setting and story.

My understanding is that nothing is skippable and that the game really should have the routes locked and an enforced playing order because not doing them in sequence will ruin things.

If there's one route that you could skip, it would probably be Kasumi's. But no, I wouldn't recommend doing that. Each route gives a sense of progression and Kasumi's is like the very bottom of that progression so skipping it would kind of throw off that balance.

Despite being heroine routes it's not like the meat of the game is based around the heroine anyway so not liking Kasumi shouldn't be that detrimental.

On chapter six (which I think is near the end of the common route), and I'm eager to see what happens. It's actually surprisingly not super battle heavy, the fights that occur have impact and don't drag themselves out for too long. The characterization is really good, the MC comes off as his own character instead of harem protagonist stock character, although there's still shades of it. There's some good chemistry with the heroines and I don't hate Kasumi anymore. The drama is hardly subtle or nuanced but the interesting characters makes it work.

Besides the obligatory level one boss the villains all feel threatening and all have their own agendas, so it feels much more like a battle Royale than a straight tournament arc. It's still kinda distasteful that
the main villain is depicted as some kind of god when he's based on an actual war criminal. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with all the various Hitler depictions in other Jpn media, and I can applaud the author for not using Hitler himself.

All in all this is really good for a thriller type story. The plot and concept are silly but it has a likeable cast that makes you want to know what happens next.

It just really needs a Shirou route.

aravuus

That prologue monologue was amazing. They start off talking about determinism and eternal recurrence with a metaphor and then they DON'T FUCKING STOP. Like, 20 lines all saying the same exact thing. I kept expecting the monologue to end after every other line.

Hahah yeah, I've gotten used to some repetition in Japanese games and VNs, but that one was on another level completely.

Unfortunately didn't have any time to actually play more after I made that post or during the rest of the weekend, but maybe I'll have some time later today when I get home from work.

JulianImp

I've barely started chapter 2 of Dies Irae, so I guess I'll keep from posting my impressions of it until introductions are taken care of and things actually start happening. So far it looks like it's going to be tackling some deep themes, but how well it manages to do so is still up for grabs...

I also finished all routes of Hate Plus over a month ago, and I'd say it was a pretty compelling story, but I kind of wished there were sections like those where you'd spend time operating the console or showing the AIs stuff, since this time around it felt like the AI interactions were really limited and short, and browsing documents in any order you wanted dilluted the feeling of progression compared to Analog.

The whole story of what had happened aboard the colony ship before year zero was really interesting, and you could kind of understand the diverse assortment of circumstances that came together to result in such a big change in the ship's political and social structure. Still, I'd say it felt more dissconected from myself, as I was merely picking files to extract, and in the end it looked like the order I extracted them in didn't matter at all, which was pretty underwhelming.

jonjonaug

Finished the first few chapters of Dies Irae. The game doesn't really go much of anywhere until around halfway through chapter 2 then just starts ramping up like nuts. I'd say right now it's about on the level of the better chapters from the first half of Demonbane.

Aters

One of the first lines of Dies irae:
"Justice, revenge, love, peace, oppression, liberty, equality - the slogan one chose to attach to the horror made little difference."

WWII is EXACTLY about justice against injustice, liberty against oppression. I'm so tired of Japanese games, movies and other products trying to blur the moral value of WWII. No, it's not a "grey" war, the black and white are pretty damn clear in that war. And no, there's a big fucking difference between defending one's homeland and genocide. God damn it Japan, when can you stop making the axis look like victim of "war". "War" is not a vague concept, it's something you started!

Ok this does look like a rant over nothing, but evading the responsibility of WWII is definitely a thing in Japanese media and I think I've had so much of it that something as small as a line in a stupid VN about nazi zombies can trigger me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Actually... if someone wants to sell for like $5, I only really want the 3 Nekoparas, Japan School Life, and Fault 2. 5 for 5, makes up a good chunk of the full cost.

I'm likely to nab the whole thing, but I know little of this brand of VN.

Can anyone list the Top Picks from this bundle?

I know Root Double is supposed to be awesome, I'm just trying to figure out where I'd go from there.

Any other Don't Miss titles on that list?

Root Double is cream of the crop. World End Economica and Fault Milestone One are both good. Narcissu and Ame no Marginal are sad stories that are solid. I don't think much of the rest are worthwhile. The Sunrider sequel and Memory's Dogma are outright bad.

Aaron D.

Root Double is cream of the crop. World End Economica and Fault Milestone One are both good. Narcissu and Ame no Marginal are sad stories that are solid. I don't think much of the rest are worthwhile. The Sunrider sequel and Memory's Dogma are outright bad.

Cool.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Wichu

On the plus side, World End Economica has been on my radar for a while. On the minus side, it involves buying Nekopara.

I wish Memory's Dogma hadn't just gone completely off the rails in a bad way. The production values and initial setup were really good, but then it introduced
superpowers
and the rest of it was a bit shit.

I really hope that Code:02 (assuming it happens) takes the reception of Code:01 into account and doesn't go the same way. I'd love to play a mystery VN with those production values and that kind of sci-fi setting. If you replaced most of the cast, it wouldn't even be that difficult - a lot of the characters had a decent conclusion anyway.

Fault is decent, but definitely on the short side. I'd definitely buy it for $1. Not sure about $10 for 1 and 2 - at that point, might as well pay $12 and get everything.

Lain

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927445.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ame no Marginal Rain Marginal -- MB-FBBAB75EB2732455 - Taken by gaiadyne

Memory's Dogma CODE 01 -- MB-D98B28680D9F3C05 - Taken by Chairmanchuck

NEKOPARA Vol. 0-1 -- MB-48FF8162192806B7 - Taken by R_thanatos

Narcissu 10th Anniversary Anthology Project -- MB-F3CF03BB9D984F8B - Taken by InfiniteNine

Root Double -- MB-F05A39319A220042 - Taken by Yomidi

Sunrider Liberation Day Captain's Edition -- MB-E1F4FD19E6E6F95E - Taken by AtomskEater

WORLD END ECONOMiCA complete -- MB-3A04C4FDCC762845 - Taken by Aishin

fault milestone one & two -- MB-8FFE060020587C50 - Taken by longlivegaming

Nekopara, fault and WEE are multiple keys. I put them together because, if you start reading, you might as well continue and finish (no Nekopara 2 because I didn't have it!).

JulianImp

Amnesia
So, my desktop PC's wi-fi dongle that plugged directly to the motherboard decided to act up and stop working, and it seems like Dies Irae decided to not boot up from Steam's offline mode, so I decided to give this game that I had from an early VN bundle a try.

I went in blind into the clover route, managed to avoid save-scumming through multiple-choice questions except for one time and upon reaching the end I checked the "extras" menu and realized I had gotten Ken's good ending... and that there were nine bad ends I probably could've met had I played differently. I mostly stuck to role-playing, but I'd say Kent's route was fairly simple in that, while I was indeed expecting something bad to happen with that one weird guy, Kent himself was a fairly easy to read character that was also calm enough to support the MC and avoid doing rash things. Even when I chose to go haver her go look for Kent's documents
and most likely got pushed in front of an approaching car by the MC's stalker, things still ended up working out for both of them
. I guess I'll eventually try the other choice at that point, but the last time I had saved was quite far off so I didn't really want to backtrack and autoskip through quite a bit of dialog all over again right now.

Also, I'd say it's kind of interesting how much of a difference there is in the way an otoge handles character development and the plot itself. The whole story was a lot about the MC bonding with Kent and them opening up to one another, including both their strong and weak sides. It also felt like the two characters were supporting each other in a very different way than, say, Ren in Dies Irae, who so far has been incredibly stuck-up about wanting to do manly things because he's a manly man or something, and was fine with becoming a martyr for the people he cared about regardless of how they might not want him to try and do everything by himself (and succeeding, most likely).

I don't think I'll be trying a different route in Amnesia anytime soon since therer're lots of other games I still want to try, but I'd say it was a pretty decent experience, even though my (mostly) uneventful playthough was a bit weird with how insistent the game was about how you had to really think things through in order to avoid harsh and unforeseen consequences.

Li Kao

Please excuse me if the question seems redundant as the game seems to have been discussed earlier, but I have had an awful day and can't really find the will to read a ton of unrelated posts. Really, I'm gonna ask and surely rest a little.
So what's the verdict on Dies Irae ? I know it is a cult classic for some bloggers and it really interests me, but is the release good ? And what's up with the strange monetization model ?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
*quick plug*
Since this bundle has Narcissu included, I have the Steam code for the soundtrack available for $4, if anyone is interested...
*end plug*

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
And what's up with the strange monetization model ?

The "strange monetization model" is you get the first few hours as a free demo and if you want to read the rest you can buy it as DLC (so unlike a normal demo you don't have to download the first part again).

JulianImp

The "strange monetization model" is you get the first few hours as a free demo and if you want to read the rest you can buy it as DLC (so unlike a normal demo you don't have to download the first part again).

And back in the Doom 1 days we called it freeware.

IMO, it's a pretty nice move since I probably would've taken a lot longer to get jumo in if I had to pay it for the whole VN at once, and if it's interesting enough then I might end up getting at least one of the two episode packs somewhat soon. It might not be that good of a business model for other game genres, but I'd say it's a pretty good move for VNs with a common route than then branches off into episodes that can be offered as DLC.

Actually from what I recall the common route is a pretty meaty chunk and probably more than a few hours so you get a decent bit for free.

Of course it's not going to give you a satisfying conclusion though(duh)

jonjonaug

Dies Irae so far: It's really great once you get past the first hour or two that sets things up. It's an insane over the top story with compelling characters, clever writing, and really good action scenes. Think along the lines of Demonbane if you've ever read that before in terms of the genre and style.

As for the DLC structure: Both of the DLC packs offer two of the heroine routes each. The first one contains Kasumi and Marie's routes while the second contains Kei and Rea's routes. However, literally everyone I've talked to who has ever played the game in Japanese has said that the proper way to play is Kasumi->Kei->Marie->Rea in terms of route order and that deviating from this is a very bad idea. So I would recommend playing the common route to the end, pick up the Kasumi/Marie DLC, finish Kasumi's route, then pick up the other DLC if you want to see the rest of the routes.

I'm getting close to the end of the Kasumi route and it's really great so far. I'd highly recommend it.

jonjonaug

A hot blooded super robot story full of cosmic horror rape?

I was thinking more in terms of "ever-escalating over the top crazy action with magic and lots of cool enemies and an incredibly ridiculously overpowered main villain with a god-tier voice".

EDIT: Started on Kei's route and wow we wasted zero time escalating things past anywhere in Kasumi's route.

JulianImp

Fault: Milestone One
It was nice, but I'm still kind of wondering whether the one dialog choice I was given throughout the whole story had any meaning at all, and I'd probably be soured to hell by the absurd cliffhanger that awaited me at the end of the first game if only I didn't have the next one ready thanks to the bundle...

The characters and worldbuilding have been good (if a bit formulaic) so far, but I'll ultimately reserve my judgement of the series as a whole until I'm further into its story. The drawings were nice and I did like how the image would zoom and pan at times, but the lack of voiceovers was a bit underwhelming after having played some Dies Irae and Amnesia.

Fault: Milestone Two
I've only read through the first ten or so minutes of the game, but I just had to come her and say that it did something really interesting that I wasn't expecting at all. My only issue with it is that I kind of feel like it happened a bit too early in the episode, tough, since it had enough of an impact that it could've worked better a bit closer to the finale rather than as an early hopeless boss fight taken up to eleven.

jonjonaug

Cleared Kei's route (second route in The Proper And Right Order) in Dies Irae.

Holy shit. The last six hours or so has been non stop utter badass-ery of a height that I haven't read in years. The
Beatrice vs Eleanor
fight in particular is a real standout.

Cleared Kei's route (second route in The Proper And Right Order) in Dies Irae.

Holy shit. The last six hours or so has been non stop utter badass-ery of a height that I haven't read in years. The
Beatrice vs Eleanor
fight in particular is a real standout.

I just finished Marie's route and it went off the r ails before the common route was over after locking it in.

The entire thing is crazy, absolutely nuts.

Only about 20 minutes into Dies Irae, and am already sold on the batshit insane nature of the beast.

Just popping in to remind everyone with a Vita/PS4 that Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is REALLY damn good.

Still not quite done yet myself, but goddamn am I in love with this game.

Josephl64

Picked up some new eroge, it's no secret I like Alicesoft. I'm excited for Ixseal too which is coming soon.

20170526_025910.jpg

20170526_025919.jpg

20170526_025942.jpg

20170526_030515.jpg

Might pick up the deluxe offering from Mangagamer for 5D/6 even though I'll probably get the JP versions of those too.

Korigama

Finally finished Steins;Gate a few nights ago, having gotten the Platinum for it. At the risk of sounding blasphemous...I didn't really like the true ending, and decisions relating to it have soured me on the experience in spite of having enjoyed the story up until that point. Feeling rather disillusioned, really.

Shizuka

Finally finished Steins;Gate a few nights ago, having gotten the Platinum for it. At the risk of sounding blasphemous...I didn't really like the true ending, and decisions relating to it have soured me on the experience in spite of having enjoyed the story up until that point. Feeling rather disillusioned, really.

If you didn't like the true ending, you should try Steins;Gate 0. I know it's weird, but it's a good game for people that didn't enjoy that particular ending.

Top Bottom