• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Marche90

Personally I'm hoping for a release windows for some PC titles. Of course, I want to be surprised as well with new licenses. Bring em on!

*Says the guy who hasn't been able to finish the last two VNs he has started.
In my defense, one has an atrocious translation, and the other one I got spoiled and read how the last two remaining routes are not something I would exactly enjoy.

Shizuka

cj_iwakura

Ehhhh, I know I'm likely in the minority, but now I'm concerned.

Makes it sound like the translation will be fairly liberal, which I'm never a fan of. Sure, the resultant Western releases of the Phoenix Wright games were excellent in their own right, but this being live-action fare, the whole idea of adopting that approach irks me immensely.
The game is clearly set in Shibuya. No hamburger localization, honest. I approve of that approach. Silver Case was done the same way and was fantastic.

Shoyz

Anybody know why Banshee's Last Cry has disappeared from the App Store? I can't download it from my purchase list, and there's no IPA (of the free to download demo) anywhere I can find. I hadn't finished it yet..

takoyaki

Anybody know why Banshee's Last Cry has disappeared from the App Store? I can't download it from my purchase list, and there's no IPA (of the free to download demo) anywhere I can find. I hadn't finished it yet..

Just checked, it's gone for me as well.

Could be because it never got a 64-bit update and won't run on iOS11. Apple started blocking all 32-bit apps from showing up in early June.

That DS game that just came out on mangagamer. Any idea if it's any good? It's by Circus and I loved Da Capo III so I'm curious

Heard its good for a moege. I bought it but havent started it since I am in the middle of reading Koiken Otome.
I will prob like it since I like moege ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How long is this denpasoft sale supposed to last? I kinda didn't think Grisaia would be discounted so heavily, and now I need to buy it.

LayLa

How long is this denpasoft sale supposed to last? I kinda didn't think Grisaia would be discounted so heavily, and now I need to buy it.

end of July 5th according to their twitter. I bought the uncut Labyrinth for $15 (same price as Steam version). enjoyed my time with Fruit so was a no brainer for me.

Marche90

That DS game that just came out on mangagamer. Any idea if it's any good? It's by Circus and I loved Da Capo III so I'm curious

Have no idea. Will probably buy it before the release discount expires but I dunno when that'll be. Trails Of Cold Steel takes precedence this month regarding gaming expenses OTL

Koiken Otome is a bad, even for a moege.

Eh, it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum, but if you like moege it's inoffensive. Just don't hope to get your socks get blown off.

Btw, does anyone here have a time table for all the presentations?

Teppic

I'm looking for a great VN from the Steam sale. I've played and enjoyed Danganronpa series, 999 series, The House in Fata Morgana, Root Double, Steins;Gate.

Something similar to those titles. Mystery, suspense, plot twists.

Shizuka

I'm looking for a great VN from the Steam sale. I've played and enjoyed Danganronpa series, 999 series, The House in Fata Morgana, Root Double, Steins;Gate.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Li Kao

G-senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String is pretty well regarded mystery-wise. Worth noting that the steam version is evidently not the adult one but there is also an image ratio issue if memory serves.

JulianImp

Read through a bit more of Root Before, and am beginning to get bored with all the "choices" that really aren't. Like, the moment Mashiro lashes out at Natsuhiko, all you can do is change whether he speaks like a self-centered monkey (which makes her run off), or be a tiny bit more tactful for dat sweet Ma+1... and then the scene plays out the same anyway.

Like, what's the point of "branching" paths if there's mostly a single branch where things don't entirely go to hell, and the rest of them only branch off from it to end prematurely as bad, and thus incorrect, ends? The game's already forcing me to play the extremely unlikely scenario of making my MC have blind trust in anyone no matter how seedy they might seem, because doing that always pays off in this game's narrative...

Also, having a bunch of yellow choices where not trusting others gets you killed one or two scenes later doesn't really feel like much of a choice at all, since one of them ends up with you dying (and the game ending, because who cares about what happens to the rest of the characters anyway, right?) and the other moves the plot forward. Then, most blue choices are merely a way to accrue trust so that the game doesn't automatically branch off into a bad ending, and siding with particular characters looks like it's mostly meant as a way to unlock a couple short scenes where you bond more with them and maybe make up for not getting their favor high enough in previous choices you made...

Marche90

Sorry, moege?

Oh, whoops. Should have explained that, seeing how you're relatively new to the genre. Pretty much any VN with a focus on the building of the romantic relationships between the MC and the heroines and the slice-of-life story resulting of this. Cute drawings abound in these titles, like super-deformed scenes, and the drawing style is, for the lack of a better term, easily identified (if you see the covers of the DC franchise and compare to other titles like Shuffle, Princess Evangile and the like you will understand lol). Romance is pretty much the focus in these

Having finished Dies irae, my biggest takeaway from the whole thing was how well it crafted compelling characters. I ended up like the whole cast except Schreiber, Spinne, and Kasumi. The VN didn't blow my mind, but I enjoyed it a lot for being a well executed take on its premise.

Koiken Otome is a bad, even for a moege.

Have no idea. Will probably buy it before the release discount expires but I dunno when that'll be. Trails Of Cold Steel takes precedence this month regarding gaming expenses OTL

Eh, it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum, but if you like moege it's inoffensive. Just don't hope to get your socks get blown off.

Btw, does anyone here have a time table for all the presentations?
For sure it's pretty generic. I recently started getting into VN and saw it was translated so yeah.

DDhmhTQW0AU-7Gw.jpg:large
this is what i saw in some VN discord channels.

Wichu

Read through a bit more of Root Before, and am beginning to get bored with all the "choices" that really aren't. Like, the moment Mashiro lashes out at Natsuhiko, all you can do is change whether he speaks like a self-centered monkey (which makes her run off), or be a tiny bit more tactful for dat sweet Ma+1... and then the scene plays out the same anyway.

Like, what's the point of "branching" paths if there's mostly a single branch where things don't entirely go to hell, and the rest of them only branch off from it to end prematurely as bad, and thus incorrect, ends? The game's already forcing me to play the extremely unlikely scenario of making my MC have blind trust in anyone no matter how seedy they might seem, because doing that always pays off in this game's narrative...

Also, having a bunch of yellow choices where not trusting others gets you killed one or two scenes later doesn't really feel like much of a choice at all, since one of them ends up with you dying (and the game ending, because who cares about what happens to the rest of the characters anyway, right?) and the other moves the plot forward. Then, most blue choices are merely a way to accrue trust so that the game doesn't automatically branch off into a bad ending, and siding with particular characters looks like it's mostly meant as a way to unlock a couple short scenes where you bond more with them and maybe make up for not getting their favor high enough in previous choices you made...

Yeah, the choice system and slowness of Root B are the worst parts of Root Double. The alternate endings are interesting, but the bad ends are only there to give a sense of danger and are otherwise a bit pointless. The majority of the game is a straight path, with the alternate endings diverging from a decision made right at the end. It could have been a kinetic novel without losing out on much.

There is an explanation for the weird choice system later, but it's more of a "oh, that's neat" thing rather than anything.super important.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
DDhmhTQW0AU-7Gw.jpg:large
this is what i saw in some VN discord channels.

I hope tonight we get that awesome Vita Fata Morgana announcement :x Also, I really really really hope that Sekai will talk about the status on some of their old, pending Kickstarters >_> I'm patient, but I would like some news.

bomblord1

Banned
Oh, whoops. Should have explained that, seeing how you're relatively new to the genre. Pretty much any VN with a focus on the building of the romantic relationships between the MC and the heroines and the slice-of-life story resulting of this. Cute drawings abound in these titles, like super-deformed scenes, and the drawing style is, for the lack of a better term, easily identified (if you see the covers of the DC franchise and compare to other titles like Shuffle, Princess Evangile and the like you will understand lol). Romance is pretty much the focus in these

Thanks for the explanation. I usually like at least a bit more going on than straight moe romance (definitely like it though) or at least a bit of gameplay behind it. Hmm not sure if I want to play it then.

I hope tonight we get that awesome Vita Fata Morgana announcement :x Also, I really really really hope that Sekai will talk about the status on some of their old, pending Kickstarters >_> I'm patient, but I would like some news.

Oh man. 4:30am for me. Could someone Pm me if anything is announced by Novectacle (including any localization info)?

Ekid

I'm eyeing Umineko on Steam but it seems only the first half is out for now. Hope we get some news on that.

Also Fata Morgana is tempting but since there is a chance for the Vita's version to be localized...

JulianImp

Yeah, the choice system and slowness of Root B are the worst parts of Root Double. The alternate endings are interesting, but the bad ends are only there to give a sense of danger and are otherwise a bit pointless. The majority of the game is a straight path, with the alternate endings diverging from a decision made right at the end. It could have been a kinetic novel without losing out on much.

There is an explanation for the weird choice system later, but it's more of a "oh, that's neat" thing rather than anything.super important.

I got to that explanation Ena made about the 9-pointed star diagram and how it ties to BC, so I'm guessing the whole shtick will boil down to
opening up dem kokoros so Natsuhiko can help save the day or something. I know he somehow gains the ability to use both long-range telepathy and empathy during the events of After because of how he interacts with the MC of that route, but it's still pretty weird.

It's just that yeah, I don't like it when games use paper-thin illusions of choice and insist on pretending that I'm actually doing anything but playing along with the simple set of rules the game has laid out for me (ie: always max trust on individual choices, always lower your own trust when choices are you + someone else, always max a single person's trust and lower the rest's when two or more other characters are involved). What seemed like an interesting system for roleplaying has apparently ended up becoming a way for the author to force the point that you've got to trust others regardless of circumstances down my throat, which I don't find appealing at all.

Wichu

I got to that explanation Ena made about the 9-pointed star diagram and how it ties to BC

That's not actually what I was thinking of - there's more later on. There's a valid reason the developers chose to use the Senses Sympathy System for decisions rather than plain old choices from a menu. I don't think it's worth it just for that one thing though - it's just too opaque for the majority of the game.

takoyaki

Crossing my fingers for some good news at the MangaGamer panel as well.

So only panels labeled "Live Programming 1" will be live streamed by AX, right? Will there be a MangaGamer stream? If not, what's a good twitter feed or live-blog to follow the news from the panel?

edit: oprainfall@AX2017 on Twitter

Jazz573

Crossing my fingers for some good news at the MangaGamer panel as well.

So only panels labeled "Live Programming 1" will be live streamed by AX, right? Will there be a MangaGamer stream? If not, what’s a good twitter feed or live-blog to follow the news from the panel?

You could probably just watch each localization company's own twitter page.

takoyaki

You could probably just watch each localization company's own twitter page.

thanks, good idea! Just wanted to make sure there's no live-stream.

Looked around a bit more, oprainfall@AX2017 was pretty quick during the Aksys panel. I'll just stick to their feed, Gematsu and Manga Gamer directly.

Top Bottom