• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

jonjonaug

Oh, I remember it, but I still haven't gotten Collar x Malice yet...
I have it but I've been too busy trying to clear Horizon before Yakuza Kiwami comes out to really play it. Then I'll be busy trying to clear Yakuza before Utawarerumono comes out. Then I'll be busy trying to clear that before Metroid comes out.

Then it's Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome, Danganronpa, Lady Layton, Etrian V, Nights of Azure 2, Mario, and Wolfenstein all within about 4-6 weeks with Chaos;Child probably somewhere in there too. By the time I'm done with all that Xenoblade 2 will probably be out.

I'm almost done with Horizon so hopefully I'll have the time to lay into CxM over the weekend. Because I don't see myself having the free time for it anywhere between this coming Tuesday and late December.

Marche90

I have it but I've been too busy trying to clear Horizon before Yakuza Kiwami comes out to really play it. Then I'll be busy trying to clear Yakuza before Utawarerumono comes out. Then I'll be busy trying to clear that before Metroid comes out.

Then it's Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome, Danganronpa, Lady Layton, Etrian V, Nights of Azure 2, Mario, and Wolfenstein all within about 4-6 weeks with Chaos;Child probably somewhere in there too. By the time I'm done with all that Xenoblade 2 will probably be out.

I'm almost done with Horizon so hopefully I'll have the time to lay into CxM over the weekend. Because I don't see myself having the free time for it anywhere between this coming Tuesday and late December.

(Disclaimer: I'm only listing those I'm planning on getting short-term)
Holy cow, these months are ridiculously packed. I just barely finished Wagamama and Princess Evangile, dropped Dal Segno and Libra midway through and we're nearing the release of Saku Saku, Subahibi, Bocchi Musume and DRV3. I forgot about Dies Iraes, too, so I'm probably picking that one up next month. On the "normal" videogames' front we still have some heavy hitters, even disregarding that I can't list switch titles yet because I still haven't bought one (Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu Ex, Metroid Samus Returns) AND those visual novels that still don't have a release date but will probably be released very soon (SukiSuki, Ley Line). Good thing Chaos;Child is only on consoles for now... will play it if/whenever we get an English PC version. Only reason I'll be able to manage is thanks to Steam's regional pricing.

Uh. Well, there goes my free time (and any remaining hopes that I would be able to watch anime at a decent pace)

jonjonaug

(Disclaimer: I'm only listing those I'm planning on getting short-term)
Holy cow, these months are ridiculously packed. I just barely finished Wagamama and Princess Evangile, dropped Dal Segno and Libra midway through and we're nearing the release of Saku Saku, Subahibi, Bocchi Musume and DRV3. I forgot about Dies Iraes, too, so I'm probably picking that one up next month. On the "normal" videogames' front we still have some heavy hitters, even disregarding that I can't list switch titles yet because I still haven't bought one (Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu Ex, Metroid Samus Returns) AND those visual novels that still don't have a release date but will probably be released very soon (SukiSuki, Ley Line). Good thing Chaos;Child is only on consoles for now... will play it if/whenever we get an English PC version. Only reason I'll be able to manage is thanks to Steam's regional pricing.

Uh. Well, there goes my free time (and any remaining hopes that I would be able to watch anime at a decent pace)

lmao I completely forgot about Subahibi and Ys 8. Throw those in there too.

Very responsive, IIRC.

Thanks! Wanted to make sure before going with the Vita version.

I'm actually finishing up ZTD right now, starting the final (currently visible) chunk of timeline. The game didn't grab me at first and I put it down between the launch month and just a few days ago, but I picked it up again after finishing Steins;Gate a little while back. It's my least favorite of the three, but once it got into the meat of it about 10-12 hours in, I started to really enjoy it. We'll see how the ending goes...

(wow, lol. this is... very dumb)

Knurek

I just noticed that WEE Ep 2's GUI shows you how far along you are in the novel - those dots in the right bottom corner get filled up as you progress through the game.
Did not notice that in the WEE Ep 1, might have been unimplemented when they ported the game to Ren'Py.

Nifty feature, more games should have something like this (preferably two counters, one for the total progress, other for chapter progress).

I'm playing through MLA again (just finished the
coup
arc) and the new translation really improves it. Even all the navel-gazing comes off much better now that it's not muddled behind awkward and vague phrasing.

The VN really holds up well visually too, though that's not too shocking considering how high production values in it always were.

JulianImp

Looks like using other people's statements as makeshift truth bullets has been changed to turning one into a lie, but I think the game is likely to end up using this mechanic in overly telegraphed ways just like the previous gimmick was used in DR2.

Also, what's with the DR team's insistence on spacing class court segments with absurd and boring mini-games? At least it looks like the Hangman's Gambit got blended with the Logic Dive now, which thankfully means no Improved Improved Hangman's Gambit. Oh well, guess I'll just set Logic difficulty to high and Puzzles to low like I did for my DR2 playthrough...

Regarding the characters, I can't say I actually liked any of them because of how little screentime they got, but miss curse-a-lot certainly felt like the worst aspects of Hiyoko, Teruteru and Mikan combined. Then again, several other characters felt like rethreads of ones we have already seen in previous games (astronaut = Leo/Mondo, entomologist = Sakura, anthropologist = Nagito, artist = Hiyoko), but hopefully the writing will make them stand out more in the full game.

Jimrpg

For the few people in here that haven't played Steins;Gate 0 yet and for people who have and want to read another opinion, I offer my review here. Thought it would be more relevant here than the Vita thread where I usually post.

There are some minor spoilers for 0, so don't read it if you want to go in completely fresh. There are also MAJOR spoilers for the original Steins;Gate obviously.

Rating :
6 / 10

I'm playing Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception on the Vita now and I'm loving it. Hopefully I can finish it before Mask of Truth arrives in the mail.

For the few people in here that haven't played Steins;Gate 0 yet and for people who have and want to read another opinion, I offer my review here. Thought it would be more relevant here than the Vita thread where I usually post.

There are some minor spoilers for 0, so don't read it if you want to go in completely fresh. There are also MAJOR spoilers for the original Steins;Gate obviously.

Rating :
6 / 10

I'm playing Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception on the Vita now and I'm loving it. Hopefully I can finish it before Mask of Truth arrives in the mail.

Just finished and got all routes for S;G, already picked up S;G:0 when it went on sale on PSN a few weeks back, I heard people had the same complaints you had but I'll probably still play even if I know it doesn't live up to the original, I think the anime is in production now too?

Old news, but apparently someone on r/vita asked Sekai Project about World End Economica on Vita and got this response:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/6vj8o5/an_update_on_world_end_economica/

World End Economica is still shooting for a release on Vita/PS4 by the end of 2017. The developers working on the ports were side-tracked by another project, but it seems like they're focused on the Vita/PS4 versions now.

Remember when Fault Milestone 1 and this were spring? Good times huh?

deadfolk

What's the deal with Occultic Nine?

Is it one of those cases where you should play the game first or should one watch the anime in preparation?

What's the deal with Occultic Nine?

Is it one of those cases where you should play the game first or should one watch the anime in preparation?

drbp1tW.png

Jimrpg

Just finished and got all routes for S;G, already picked up S;G:0 when it went on sale on PSN a few weeks back, I heard people had the same complaints you had but I'll probably still play even if I know it doesn't live up to the original, I think the anime is in production now too?

Yes, I think they're doing the anime now.

I don't see how anyone who is a fan of S;G doesn't play this, most fans will want to know what happens even if its not as good.

Also the score might seem a little harsh, but I like to use the entire 10 scale.

The House In Fata Morgana is 30% off.

Everyone needs to try it.

Great time to get it with Halloween around the corner. It's not 'scary' by any means, but the gothic style, 'haunted mansion' aspects and tension of the story make it suitable.

Yes, I think they're doing the anime now.

I don't see how anyone who is a fan of S;G doesn't play this, most fans will want to know what happens even if its not as good.

Also the score might seem a little harsh, but I like to use the entire 10 scale.

I'm still playing through Steins;Gate 0, 4 months after starting it. The highs are very high
returning to the Alpha worldline for that one scene was beautiful
but the lows are so much lower and it's honestly a bit of a drag to get it finished.

Not sure what score I'm gonna end up giving it when I review it.

deadfolk

I was originally quite disappointed with S;G 0 because (real spoilers - you have been warned):

Okarin is a broken man and a shadow of his former self. It's just not as fun to read when everyone is miserable.
Also, it seemed to end on a cliffhanger. We thought Kurisu was saved in the original, but now it seemed she wasn't any more.

But when something clicked with me, I like it a lot more.

The next part of the story is actually the end of the original, and it's not a cliffhanger at all. Kurisu is still saved. I'm just an idiot because it was long enough since I played the original that I didn't connect the dots.

But the first part of my original complaint still stands.

Shizuka

I was originally quite disappointed with S;G 0 because (real spoilers - you have been warned):

Okarin is a broken man and a shadow of his former self. It's just not as fun to read when everyone is miserable.
Also, it seemed to end on a cliffhanger. We thought Kurisu was saved in the original, but now it seemed she wasn't any more.

But when something clicked with me, I like it a lot more.

The next part of the story is actually the end of the original, and it's not a cliffhanger at all. Kurisu is still saved. I'm just an idiot because it was long enough since I played the original that I didn't connect the dots.

But the first part of my original complaint still stands.

The issue with S;G0 is that it's related to one of the best visual novels of all times. You can't not compare it to Steins;Gate and in comparison, it's weak as shit.

I'd actually say that's the game's biggest strength - the exploration of his new emotions is really, really strong and unlike anything else I'd really seen in games.

Everything else about it seems quite weak though. The
Kagari
stuff just drags and drags and drags over multiple endings.

deadfolk

I'd actually say that's the game's biggest strength - the exploration of his new emotions is really, really strong and unlike anything else I'd really seen in games.

Everything else about it seems quite weak though. The
Kagari
stuff just drags and drags and drags over multiple endings.

The problem I have with it is that one of the great things (imo) about the original is the humour and the contrast between Okarin's mad scientist persona and how dark it gets. This one has none of the humour - it's just depressing.

The problem I have with it is that one of the great things (imo) about the original is the humour and the contrast between Okarin's mad scientist persona and how dark it gets. This one has none of the humour - it's just depressing.

I can understand that, completely. I feel like it's necessary though
to show what a massive effect it has on him. Plus it makes the reveal of the return of Hououin Kyoma that much more impactful

deadfolk

I can understand that, completely. I feel like it's necessary though
to show what a massive effect it has on him. Plus it makes the reveal of the return of Hououin Kyoma that much more impactful

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that
the tone of the whole thing becomes more dour because of it. I also don't think there was enough of it (the return). But I think I'm in the minority in that I really like all the Kyouma stuff

Top Bottom