• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

So, Debo no Su Seisakusho's Dungeon Crawler/VN hybrid, Kagura Douchuuki, is now on Steam. It unlocks in about 14 hours.

Well, this is now out. It's about $16 US. Not buying this. I can't support a shoddy translation and no promise of an 18+ English version.

Edit: PV for Harmonia released. Comes to Greenlight on October 23, so tomorrow or today if you live in a part of the world where it's already the 23rd.

Edit 2: According to a Steam thread, apparently Kagura Douchuuki requires Japanese locale.

Romeo's a busy man these days. Rewrite anime and both the Shoujo-tachi anime and game.
I doubt he's that involved with the Rewrite anime. Kouya getting an adaptation before the game even releases is odd though. I suppose it'll just be a glorified ad for the game like many VN adaptations.

Edit 2: According to a Steam thread, apparently Kagura Douchuuki requires Japanese locale.
What a joke.

WAT
Tactical_Facepalm.jpg

jonjonaug

What does that mean by requiring "Japanese locale"?
It means the system setting for how the operating system will interpret and display non-unicode text. In Japanese locale this means that programs will be able to read/write characters that wouldn't be standard in English correctly. Fan translations don't usually go the extra mile to edit the game's executables and scripts to have the game work properly in English locale, but you almost never see that with official releases.

JulianImp

I've configured my desktop PC that way since it was required to install and run Umineko and then apply the translation patch, but I'd agree that such a requirement makes absolutely no sense for a commercial VN release.

I've finished eden* and honestly while first half was amazing then the second part
after they escape from base
was extremely slow and boring. I felt like it will never end.

I've finished eden* and honestly while first half was amazing then the second part
after they escape from base
was extremely slow and boring. I felt like it will never end.

The first half really was the strongest part of it. The ending felt especially anticlimatic.

Just finished both NEKOPARAs (which two japanese devs gifted me, lol) and good god, dem production values. Oh, and that infamous bounciness slider!

Anyway, yes, production in general is top notch and all (voice acting, quality CGs, music, etc.), I had quite some fun (even if I played the censored Vol. 1 and then the harmless all-ages Vol. 0) but I had a massive feeling of "been there, done that" but with nekogirls. It almost felt like an anime at times, for the better or the worst. And they were way too short...

Hmmm, at the end of the day, however, I kind of had more fun with Higurashi despite being a "sound novel", the photo filtered backrounds and such. It didn't matter. Guess I'm sucker for that kind of intrigue tales. (Also reflected in my playtime: almost 15 hours for Higurashi vs. 5 hours for the two Volumes).

I guess that may mean I'll enjoy Umineko a lot too?

Meanwhile, crossposting another dev update from the GAFDev section. Finall got the first of many event CGs.

You'ré reminding me that I need to finish nekopara

Well, it shouldn't take you too long! A lot of the dialogue is also very, very clichéd so unless you are planning to sit and listen to the voice acting (trying to listen how many "nyans" they cram per sentence) you could probably skip a fair bit. (A lot of Chocola talking about herself in third person, "Master is master", you'll read so much of that you'll start skipping it.)

Pretty much. Lemnisca confirmed that Root Double will get a KS, don't think that will change.

They have three confirmed Kickstarters coming. Naricissu, Root Double, and Tokyo School Life. And I actually feel like I'm leaving something else out too.
edit: It seems that Watanagashi will have outlived half the regulars of the thread by the time it releases.
It'll be out soon.

Shizuka

I'm surprised they didn't make a KS for The Devil on G-String. Also, there is one called Chrono Drive, right? Isn't that one also getting a KS?

I'm surprised they didn't make a KS for The Devil on G-String. Also, there is one called Chrono Drive, right? Isn't that one also getting a KS?

Sekai Project has actually said that they would have done more Kickstarters but not every Japanese partner wants to do them. Chrono Clock hasn't been mentioned as a future Kickstarter as far as I'm aware of.

Shizuka

Sekai Project has actually said that they would have done more Kickstarters but not every Japanese partner wants to do them. Chrono Clock hasn't been mentioned as a future Kickstarter as far as I'm aware of.

Fuck Sekai Project, everything would have a KS if it was up to them. Be a company and don't rely on your fanbase money for projects. The fans are paying for all
Or most
costs beforehand and every extra dollar goes directly into their pockets.

Fuck Sekai Project, everything would have a KS if it was up to them. Be a company and don't rely on your fanbase money for projects. The fans are paying for all
Or most
costs beforehand and every extra dollar goes directly into their pockets.

I just hope they didn't kill the 12Riven and Killer Queen sequel translations with the Lemnisca acquisition.

Jazz573

Well, it shouldn't take you too long! A lot of the dialogue is also very, very clichéd so unless you are planning to sit and listen to the voice acting (trying to listen how many "nyans" they cram per sentence) you could probably skip a fair bit. (A lot of Chocola talking about herself in third person, "Master is master", you'll read so much of that you'll start skipping it.)

I don't know. I loved it, and I didn't skip a single line. :p The only thing I skipped was one H scene. And yep, I did listen to the voice acting for every line until it finished. I always listen to the full line in every VN I've ever played. :p

I don't know. I loved it, and I didn't skip a single line. :p The only thing I skipped was one H scene. And yep, I did listen to the voice acting for every line until it finished. I always listen to the full line in every VN I've ever played. :p

Oh, don't get me wrong, my Steam feed right now is basically Nekopara screenshots. It's just that, compared to when I tried Higurashi, the latter had more staying power. (Due to the theories, all the docs and additional info that is provided along with the main storyline.)

I did sit to listen to every line of dialogue too :p I like to learn, although a lot of the dialog is full of vices or things that you wouldn't really say in public, heh. Plus, all that lewdness. "Shigure best imouto" was my last quote.

Anyway, I just had the same japanese gusy spam me with tweets about Episode 2 being almost ready for Winter Comiket. I guess I will have to pick it up when I get there...

This year has been my introduction to visual novels and I have had a great time with the few I've played. I played both Danganronpa's, 999, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Steins;Gate. I started off with the Danganronpa series and the Zero Escape series because they are closer to point and click adventure games which is my favorite genre, but after playing Steins;Gate, the story and setting was so interesting I didn't miss the lack of gameplay.

Now I am ready to move on to try something new. I am definitely looking forward to Zero Escape 3 and Steins;Gate 0, but I'm not sure if the latter has been confirmed to be coming to NA yet. I liked playing on a handheld, since it feels like reading a book, so I'm not really looking for anything on PC, since I have plenty of adventure games to play on my computer. I don't think there is much else available on handhelds is there? I know there are some other upcoming games on the Vita, but I couldn't keep track of what was coming.

What I liked most about the Zero Escape series and Steins;Gate was all the philosophical and intellectual discussions. I was especially impressed with how the concept of time travel worked in Steins;Gate. I also really liked the thought experiment discussions in Zero Escape and the reference to real world concepts.

One that seems promising is the current Muv-Luv kickstarter since the third game in the series is rated very highly. I don't know anything about the series other than that, but based on my last paragraph would you recommend it?

upandaway

This year has been my introduction to visual novels and I have had a great time with the few I've played. I played both Danganronpa's, 999, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Steins;Gate. I started off with the Danganronpa series and the Zero Escape series because they are closer to point and click adventure games which is my favorite genre, but after playing Steins;Gate, the story and setting was so interesting I didn't miss the lack of gameplay.

Now I am ready to move on to try something new. I am definitely looking forward to Zero Escape 3 and Steins;Gate 0, but I'm not sure if the latter has been confirmed to be coming to NA yet. I liked playing on a handheld, since it feels like reading a book, so I'm not really looking for anything on PC, since I have plenty of adventure games to play on my computer. I don't think there is much else available on handhelds is there? I know there are some other upcoming games on the Vita, but I couldn't keep track of what was coming.

What I liked most about the Zero Escape series and Steins;Gate was all the philosophical and intellectual discussions. I was especially impressed with how the concept of time travel worked in Steins;Gate. I also really liked the thought experiment discussions in Zero Escape and the reference to real world concepts.

One that seems promising is the current Muv-Luv kickstarter since the third game in the series is rated very highly. I don't know anything about the series other than that, but based on my last paragraph would you recommend it?
I was just about to say Muv Luv based on the rest of the post, yeah definitely.

I was just about to say Muv Luv based on the rest of the post, yeah definitely.

Awesome, I will definitely consider pledging to this kickstarter. I know that kickstarters usually underestimate delivery times (often by a few years) but how realistic is it to get a copy of the game by November 2016 (for VITA physical)? Sometime in 2017 seems more realistic to me.

Shizuka

Awesome, I will definitely consider pledging to this kickstarter. I know that kickstarters usually underestimate delivery times (often by a few years) but how realistic is it to get a copy of the game by November 2016 (for VITA physical)? Sometime in 2017 seems more realistic to me.

I'm optimistic with the Muv Luv KS, since the original developer is working closely with Degica regarding everything (porting, publishing, additional content). I think the physical Vita copies will take a long while to be shipped, but with the $80 tier, you also get digital codes, which means you can play the game while waiting for the copies.

XMSHO

I just hope they didn't kill the 12Riven and Killer Queen sequel translations with the Lemnisca acquisition.
"We at Lemnisca are proud to announce that we are collaborating with Regista, Yeti, and Sekai Project to officially release Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition in English!"
"As part of our agreement to partner with Regista and Yeti on this project..." &
I don't think "acquisition" is the right word, still there future is indeed shrouded with mystery... All we can do is wait for BW or GA to confirm things.

Edit: Narcissu 10th Anniversary KS is up.

Shizuka

Huh, they lowered their initial goal from what the prefundia said. It's 75k instead of 150k. Maybe they realized how much they were overreaching.

Maybe they realized some money is better than no money.

$200,000: Other platforms. (We're researching what's feasible now)

Fucking amateur. If you don't know what is feasible, why include such stretch goal?

$500,000: A 30 minute ~ 1 hour long OVA.

Well, is it half an hour or one hour? There is a big difference there.

I like their explanation:
But why is that different from our $75k goal? Because we knew before this project started that it would take a big effort to get off the ground. That is why we've spent the $60,000 and found an additional funding source before turning to Kickstarter.
So they spent their own money on it like they should have, but they're doing us a favor not making their backers recoup that.

The fact that they can cut their costs in half like that really just shows how much they were manipulating the numbers from the start.

XMSHO

I like their explanation:
So they spent their own money on it like they should have, but they're doing us a favor not making their backers recoup that.
The fact that they can cut their costs in half like that really just shows how much they were manipulating the numbers from the start.
"We've already spent ~$60k ... we'd have to scrape together another 150k just to ship the games." &
+
But why is that different from our $75k goal? Because we knew before this project started that it would take a big effort to get off the ground. That is why we've spent the $60,000 and found an additional funding source before turning to Kickstarter.
'Apparently', they spent $60k, need $75k from the KS, and some magical "additional funding source" will provide the remaining which is also $60k.
Just... WOW.

gaiages

Banned
"We've already spent ~$60k ... we'd have to scrape together another 150k just to ship the games." &
+

'Apparently', they spent $60k, need $75k from the KS, and some magical "additional funding source" will provide the remaining which is also $60k.
Just... WOW.

Yikes, what a clusterfuck. I love Narcissus and all that, but the cost of remaking it can't possibly cost over $195k, can it? Granted I haven't been paying attention to Sekai Project's glut of Kickstarters and what they need to succeed, but it seems a little excessive.

Aku-Audi

I work for SP (Lead on their handheld/console developments, European business stuff) and I'll try to answer some questions here. I'm not the lead on Narcissu so some questions I might be a bit off on until I've asked the team during our next meeting.

The budget for this game was very closely negotiated between Stage-nana and what they could offer, our own warchest spending on not just development but all pre-production costs and other expenses that is attached to game development, and so on. Our goal from prefundia was lowered 'cause a partner of Stage-nana is also involved and these sorts of business things.

I can definitely understand the issue of launching way too many Kickstarters and the stigma that comes with that. I think everyone on the team is very aware of that but we are still a very young company and Kickstarter money goes right into production, and sales are very heavily divided between different parties, not just directly to us. Not asking for you to just flatly accept this, but my point is just that game development and publishing is expensive stuff, and its not as easy as us just spending our money on all our new titles. Company needs to stay afloat and we got bills to pay and people to feed.

Fucking amateur. If you don't know what is feasible, why include such stretch goal?

Thank you, I been working on game publishing on handhelds for a while now before SP even but it's always good to be reminded that I'm still just Jenny from the block. To be fair to you though, that stretch goal is actually probably ill-worded, but because this is an entirely new game that we are developing, the possibility of porting to other devices is greater, but also comes with more additional licensing and costs. Basically, what it should probably say is handheld for sure, but consoles a good possibility. I was hired to speed up and sort out their handheld/console development actually.

Well, is it half an hour or one hour? There is a big difference there.

I'm guessing it'll in between at like 45 minutes or something. I'm not privy to the details around this goal but I think that's something that Stage-Nana is ironing out if it climbs closer to this goal.

Again I'll gladly try to help with any questions, but I'm not too closely involved with the development with this particular project as others so please sharpen the pitchforks cause I could be wrong on some details.

Top Bottom