• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game And Service Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new gaming hero

Shuehei Yoshida is officially the coolest one

Agreed! Seems so basic, but so important. Also cool reply to someone questioning him:

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp
@KaraszKun if you are in the industry, you would try new hw and services, right? what's wrong with you!

Also retweets Firmware 2.01 is coming soon, fixing the save game upload for Playstation Plus. Good.

kerrak

Same. I was bored of FPS and, to a lesser degree TPS, but the dual sticks on the Vita have got me hungry to play some. I'm probably going to crack and buy Resistance or CoD if nothing is announced soon.

I played tons of COD4MW and a bit less of CODW@W. I got tired of the formula.

As a long time Resistance fan, i bought RBS. And despite some flaws, i had some great moments in multiplayer.

This year i told to myself, hey, why not play a good old COD game? It's been a few years since i last played it, it will feel fresh.

Against all common sense, i decided to pick CODBOD instead of CODBO2, portable comfort being the main reason.

I'm happy with my decision. I've already clocked 30 hours in multiplayer. It's your old frantic, twitchy, arcadey cod experience. If you're into this style of gameplay 4v4 is absolutely no limitation, because maps are small. But not small enough to imply a lack of different spots and/or approaches when playing. Practically all the criticisms on the game are valid, but the controls and mp funfactor experienced on MW or W@W (craziest maps) is intact for me.

KAL2006

Banned
Really surprised Sony didn't bother making a solid shooter for Vita after taunting the dual analogs. Both Resistance and COD are rush jobs. Unit 13 while a solid game is not really that meaty. So the only good shooter is Uncharted and that's not a pure shooter (it would have helped if it had multiplayer modes, which hopefully the sequel has). Sony should have made sure COD was a decent game, as well as releasing quality shooters from their own IP's. Hopefully Killzone is the start of this and Bends next game (Uncharted with multiplayer please).

bradigor

Decided to pick up NFS: Most Wanted instead today as it was only £25 in GAME. Will get PASBR for Christmas instead.

Also picked up Skylanders for the 360, but it made me think. Why isn't this on Vita yet? It is the ideal Cross-Play title. Start a game on the PS3, then use the codes that come with the characters to play them on the go too.

Decided to pick up NFS: Most Wanted instead today as it was only £25 in GAME. Will get PASBR for Christmas instead.

Also picked up Skylanders for the 360, but it made me think. Why isn't this on Vita yet? It is the ideal Cross-Play title. Start a game on the PS3, then use the codes that come with the characters to play them on the go too.

The game (and their profit margins) is based around the figurines. I don't think they want to move away from that in any sense. Even the 3DS version came with a portal (LOL).

bradigor

The game (and their profit margins) is based around the figurines. I don't think they want to move away from that in any sense. Even the 3DS version came with a portal (LOL).

You'd still need the figurines though, as they themselves come with the codes to use them in other versions (such as iOS).
If I remember correctly, I could use the code for the figures on the PC web version, then that would update the characters on the portal later for the 360 version.

I know it'd never happen though, for the reason you state, would be nice though.

I'm still hoping for an Invizimals sequel too. The boy loved that.

Heesh, is it cool to rip on Bend for trying to get used to the touch controls on the Vita? People just seem to love ripping into them. They did a damn fine job with what they had to work with.

Oh, that's a criticism of the company making the game. Compile Heart is a ... well, don't look up their games on Google.

Well, to be fair to Madoumonogatari, the Saturn version (and maybe some of the others I don't know anything about) is somewhat of a cult favorite. This is what it looked like:

http://t.co/KIUrVmRN

And yes, the new version is Compile Heart (and not Compile, who made the original version), but the 7th Dragon 2020 character designer is doing the character designs for this, with one of the guest designers being the PuyoPuyo/original Madoumonogatari artist.

We'll see how hard Compile Heart... well, Compile Hearts it. But hopefully it's faithful to the series, at least enough.

staticshade

Neo Member
I've been trying to beat that gravity throw one for an hour. And the slow loading in between retrying challenges just makes me rage.

There needed to be a restart option from the pause menu for challenges, instead we have to wait till you run out of time. How they missed that in QA is beyond me. The game loads quicker when you start a challenge while the retry option takes longer to load

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There needed to be a restart option from the pause menu for challenges, instead we have to wait till you run out of time. How they missed that in QA is beyond me. The game loads quicker when you start a challenge while the retry option takes longer to load
They still havent fixed that? :/
They talked about looking into it after release. Too bad.

Skyzard

Banned
Hate, HATE long retries. Even Lumines had it (not a big deal for their main mode but going for the other side-mode challenges was a pain - no restart option :/

VanWinkle

Well turns out you can't view the patch release notes for games now with plus automatically downloading patches :-(

Feels like one step forward and two steps back. It downloaded a patch for When Vikings Attack and I have no idea what it does. Can somebody with the game and without Plus check?

marrec

Banned
Welcome to the club.

I can't wait to join that club.

Or, moreover, I can wait. Which is what I'm doing. I just don't want to HAVE to wait because of the stupid pricing. At least Sony has positioned Vita to where I'm actually considering paying $2.80 a GB.

Salaadin

Yay, save auto-upload works! Nice that we can set cart saves to auto-upload too.
I saw theres a youtube update too but havent tried it out yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well turns out you can't view the patch release notes for games now with plus automatically downloading patches :-(

Feels like one step forward and two steps back. It downloaded a patch for When Vikings Attack and I have no idea what it does. Can somebody with the game and without Plus check?
Patches aren't that big usually, I will probably turn the auto update off for that very reason.

On another note: Football Manager Handheld is reportedly being on the store now.

mauaus

It says: 1.01:
This patch fixes some minor issues with matchmaking and lobbies, particularly when maching against two users who are behind the same router.

On another note, im receiving my white vita today, how do i go about changind my stuff to it just a simple memory card swap and deactivation?

It says: 1.01:
This patch fixes some minor issues with matchmaking and lobbies, particularly when maching against two users who are behind the same router.

On another note, im receiving my white vita today, how do i go about changind my stuff to it just a simple memory card swap and deactivation?

Yup, it's that easy. Don't forget to set up near again.

bradigor

I can't believe there is still a 'Vita has no games' feel from some people. I have come to a point where I now feel I have over bought and have too many things on the go.

Gravity Rush (main game I am playing - Chapter per day)
Mutant Blobs (as and when, usually a bus journey or quick go)
NFS: MW
Rayman Origins
Wipeout 2048 + HD
Lumines (Want for a quick go, but end up spending 2+ hours a time with it)
Little Big Planet (barely even had a chance to start)
Everybodies Golf (as and when)
Hustle Kings
Super Stardust Delta
TOM Blitz
Modnation Racers
Motorstorm RC
Chronovolt (Not started yet, probably try when everything else is done)
Super Stardust Portable (after seeing it was free for PS+, not advertised, but tucked away in PSP section)

Then a bunch of Minis and PSOne titles from previous PS+ Subscription.

That is hours upon hours of gaming already and I still plan on adding the following

Virtua Tennis
VLR
P4G
Wipeout Pulse - DLC
Assassins Creed III
Escape Plan
Jet Set Radio
MLB 12 The Show (if it gets discounted)
New Little Kings Story
Pinball Arcade
Pure Chess
Sine Mora
Sound Shapes
Super Monkey Ball
Katamari (had it on rental, but sent back as just going to buy it)
Unit 13
When Vikings Attack
Zen Pinball 2

Even if I decided to only play one of those per week exclusively, that is nearly a years worth of gaming. However, it will take me more than a week to play most of those games and some such as Everybody's Golf, Lumines, Chess, Pinball, etc aren't games with an end point as such, therefore will last me well beyond everything else.

Then adding in unreleased and unannounced games (no way Sony put in PS+ without new content coming) I don't think I have seen a console with a better catalogue from an opening year. Everything is covered here, despite wanting to see some more stuff ported properly from iOS, at iOS prices.

The only real let down for me, is the lack of official Netflix for UK.

I looked at my Raptr record for the last three weeks and my 360 gaming has dropped a crap load, to around 10 hours for the week. I just can't put down the Vita, it really shouldn't be 'struggling'. I remember when the PS1 came out and we'd talk about the dream of being able to play those games on the move, this surpasses everything we wanted back then.

Where I think Sony could make a killing, is by having all PSP titles on the store for £5 each. (even if that was a PS+ only benefit) Just get the sales in, many people (I believe) would just buy and store those games for later. Similar to the Steam effect.

I have spent the last year gaming out of habit, more than anything. I don't really do TV, so gaming is my only real outlet from family and work life, from an entertainment perspective. Yet the Vita has given me back my passion for it, where I actively look forward to finishing work, or having a break so I can get the Vita out.

Even if Sony were to pull the plug now, I have more than had my value out of the machine.

I agree with most of that and stuff like in uncharted where you had to use touch controls bugged me, and, not coincidently, that was what they cited as one of the biggest flaws in the game when they did their post mortem on gamasutra(more below).

But sometimes touch controls can be intuitive and be used in a way that just isn't possible with buttons. Like LBP, for instance. The idea is to pop out the touch pads with the quickness as you platform through the area. You just can't do that with buttons and I feel like it works well with the game. It also doesn't bother me when games like Unit 13 have you tap a corner of the screen to reload because they don't have enough buttons on the unit.

But if it's something like opening a door or something that can easily just be mapped to a button it drives me nuts if touch screens are forced.

Don't know if I can agree with the bolded as it speaks to developers being greedy piggies. Assuming movement and camera controls are on the analogue nubs, that leaves ten buttons.

TEN buttons. (Eleven if we include select)

If you're designing a game with inputs that exceeds 10 buttons, there's a problem.

marrec

Banned
I'd say there is a much bigger problem if you are putting core actions like reloading on virtual buttons. Gross.

One of the best parts of AC3: Liberation is the quick access to the main map by tapping the Minimap on screen. It's so intuitive and easy. The touch screen needs to be used for things like this, things that make actually playing the game easier.

You can still access the map by pressing select, but it's so much easier just to tap the minimap button.

Don't know if I can agree with the bolded as it speaks to developers being greedy piggies. Assuming movement and camera controls are on the analogue nubs, that leaves ten buttons.

TEN buttons. (Eleven if we include select)

If you're designing a game with inputs that exceeds 10 buttons, there's a problem.

not really because start and select arnt gonna get used for more than the usual pause / menu stuff.

Its really 6 normal buttons and a D-Pad that will only be there as an extra in certain types of games.

Some will want to give you the options of using the d-pad or the left stick. Others need to be things that are OK to press only while giving up control of the left stick and so on.

In all honestly I don't have a problem with touch stuff. Its only when its forced that its irritating such as the UC boss fights. However I also played on my iphone for a few months before getting my vita and happily play games on my nexus 7 as well.

Some touch stuff works and some doesn't. Some people like it and others don't. However what you need to understand is that the younger generation are growing up with this stuff and it WILL be considered the norm (if it hasn't started to already). You might as well at least try and get used to it. I wasn't keen at first and now i'm fine with it after a little practise. I even think some FPS's and TPS's control fine on android / IOS (mainly the mad finger stuff, gamelofts always feel to floaty.)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
They need to use it for Folklore Vita.

*high five*

45 is my favorite number right now.

1 32G Card or 2.5 retail vita games ..... I can survive on my 16 gigor with wifi sync.

games. 16GB is more than enough if you are not going DD only.

Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, anytime something fun or exciting happens, you make it..not..that way. I hate...so much...about the things you choose to be.

I didn't choose to live in a small island or my extreme scoliodentosaurophobia ;_;

..more love and less hate is what we need.

vdlow

In 2 or 3 hours I will be getting my Vita. Can't wait. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout and Jet Set Radio are in my PS3 HDD waiting for the big arrival. And it's the AC Liberation bundle, so one more to the count. My body is ready and full of vitality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom