• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi now has 24% of Ubisoft's capital (was 22%); 21% of their Voting rights

soultron

Banned
soon_1nezhg.jpg
Nirolak, don't do me dirty like this.

Fox Mulder

I will legit cry if Vivendi are successful. Ubisoft are by far the best third party publisher in this industry today. They are a shining light of this industry and if we lose them it will be disastrous. Good luck getting games like Steep greenlighted in the future if the takeover is successful. 7bisoft are the most underappreciated company in this industry and the quality, variety and creativity of their game lineup is pretty much unrivalled by any other third party publisher. I'm praying right now.

Hahaha..

Is this a good thing for the games/employees or not.

Less profitable divisions could well be hacked off -- this will probably mean fewer games like Rayman or Child of Light, and more Far Crys, Creeds, Tom Clancy stuff, etc.

If things keep going like this, Yves is going to climb a tower, and I'm not talking about the video game variety.

The Guillemots will have hundreds of millions so I doubt they'll be too sad.

What % does Vivendi need to take over full control?

I hope they are able to maintain their creative freedom to release a new identically designed open-world game every 10 months.

30% and then legally they have to make a bid to buy the company, as I understand it.

Linkinito

Keep calm. Right now they can't do anything, as the shareholders' general meeting happened one month ago (for the year to come) and Vivendi abstained from voting because they knew they didn't have enough power to overthrow the Guillemot brothers.

However if they reach 30% (either in shares or voting rights) they will be forced to do a takeover bid, which will be considered as hostile.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I will legit cry if Vivendi are successful. Ubisoft are by far the best third party publisher in this industry today. They are a shining light of this industry and if we lose them it will be disastrous. Good luck getting games like Steep greenlighted in the future if the takeover is successful. 7bisoft are the most underappreciated company in this industry and the quality, variety and creativity of their game lineup is pretty much unrivalled by any other third party publisher. I'm praying right now.

New meme born ala "Shot themselves in the foot"

Well, looks like Vivendi is intent on ruining all of French media.
Ubisoft is far from perfect but they deserve better than the slow and inevitable death Vivendi would bring.

Catdaddy

It’s a hostile takeover so odds are Vivendi will not be looking to put the best interests of Ubisoft and its employees first. If they take control, expect a lot of changes at the upper levels of Ubi management, whether it’s forced or voluntary resignations.

Activision-Blizzard bought their way out of Vivendi - IIRC Vivendi’s interest was more in telecommunication than games and had been trying to sell Activision-Blizz before they bought themselves out.

To be perfectly frank that user, even if being sarcastic isn't that far off the mark. They are no doubt more diverse and produce more general higher quality content than Activision and Take-Two. EA are the only one of the big 4 that I would put around Ubi in terms of steadily releasing high quality successful content in many different genres.

NoPiece

Well, I expect a THQ-like situation if Vivendi takes the control.

There is no real reason to think that, Activision/Blizzard survived and are doing well. I guess I can't say the same for Sierra, but that was probably inevitable.

Glix

Well, as is well known, Vivendi is buying the company to shut down all their most profitable businesses.

You joke but if they put new management in there is no telling.

Execs will do anything for a percieved "win"

"We are sunsetting the siege service as we look into how to better synergistically maximize the brand across more platforms, especially mobile, blah blah blah"

Less profitable divisions could well be hacked off -- this will probably mean fewer games like Rayman or Child of Light, and more Far Crys, Creeds, Tom Clancy stuff, etc.

The Guillemots will have hundreds of millions so I doubt they'll be too sad.

30% and then legally they have to make a bid to buy the company, as I understand it.

; _ ;

It's not all about money.

It is

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You joke but if they put new management in there is no telling.

Execs will do anything for a percieved "win"

"We are sunsetting the siege service as we look into how to better synergistically maximize the brand across more platforms, especially mobile, blah blah blah"

And if there's anything businesses like shutting down more than profitable products, it's high margin digital products where people spend tons of money on microtransactions and season passes with relatively low maintenance costs and strong catalog sales.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell, Rayman, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rainbow Six Siege, Grow Home, South Park etc. All high quality titles. All varied. Please name me a single third party publisher with a lineup of games recently as varied or high quality as this. Please name me another third party publisher greenlighting games like Steep or For Honour.

Come up with an actual argument to dispute what I said instead of just laughing. I really don't see how one can deny the quality or variety of Ubisofts lineup compared to other major third party publishers. They really don't get enough credit.

AALLx

Please name me a single third party publisher with a lineup of games recently as varied or high quality as this. Please name me another third party publisher greenlighting games like Steep or For Honour.

Paradox Interactive, Sega. I'd even go as far as say Capcom has (subjectively) better output than Ubisoft.

Paradox Interactive, Sega. I'd even go as far as say Capcom has (subjectively) better output than Ubisoft.

I mean its all subjective I suppose

But in terms of the actual market representing the vast majority of gamers, none of those companies can even come anywhere near approaching Ubisoft

Harmen

Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell, Rayman, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rainbow Six Siege, Grow Home, South Park etc. All high quality titles. All varied. Please name me a single third party publisher with a lineup of games recently as varied or high quality as this. Please name me another third party publisher greenlighting games like Steep or For Honour.

Come up with an actual argument to dispute what I said instead of just laughing. I really don't see how one can deny the quality or variety of Ubisofts lineup compared to other major third party publishers. They really don't get enough credit.

I actually agree with you. And even in their existing series they did some bold moves, see turning AC in a (good) pirate simulator and taking FC to the stone age. In both those cases the change in setting did more to the actual gameplay than any CoD has done in nearly a decade, yet people act like they crap out identical games each year.

Still, a significant part of the shit Ubisoft gets is grounded in legitimate criticism, I feel.

FStop7

Banned
They're banking on the AssCreed movie saving them from Vivendi, aren't they?

Based on the trailers that may have been a bad idea.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't think Sega's output is very good at all any more. They are a shell of their former selves. I was as big a Sega fan as anyone in their day, but now? They'd be lucky if they cracked my top 10. Capcom are a similar story.

AALLx

I mean its all subjective I suppose

But in terms of the actual market representing the vast majority of gamers, none of those companies can even come anywhere near approaching Ubisoft
Yes of course, Ubisoft is one of the largest publishers after all. Though I do feel that they are starting to narrow their efforts towards open-world online design, and less on their more niche offerings.

I don't think Sega's output is very good at all any more. They are a shell of their former selves. I was as big a Sega fan as anyone in their day, but now? They'd be lucky if they cracked my top 10. Capcom are a similar story.
Sega: Warhammer series, Alien Isolation, Yakuza, Valkyria, Football Manager, Project Diva, Sonic, a bunch of jRPGS and fighting games, and a whole lot more, all within the past 2 years. That's pretty diverse, ain't it?

Capcom: SFV, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma > I personally love all of these and would take them over any game published by Ubi (this one's really just my taste though)

But, not to get off-topic, I agree with you that losing Ubisoft will be a huge blow to the industry. They are one of the big publishers that is actually going out of its way to open studios in other parts of the world to open up game development outside of the established norm. I actually applaud them in their efforts and wouldn't want to see those studios shuttered by Vivendi.

kadotsu

Banned
Oh no! Now Ubisoft will only greenlight safe sequels and apply a standard, focus tested template to all of their future games.

LordKano

There is no real reason to think that, Activision/Blizzard survived and are doing well. I guess I can't say the same for Sierra, but that was probably inevitable.

The director of Vivendi has changed. Vincent Bolloré (the actual director) kills everything he touch.

Parsnip

Based on what Bollore's Vivendi has done to date, a lot of "restructuring" is going to take place if and when this whole thing happens.

Mael

It is not good.
Vivendi recent acquisitiion tv channel iTélé is on strike because they forced the news channel to hire a guy who has nothing to do with news (to begin with) for a very high salary AND has a pending criminal investigation for pedophilia (he ran castings for 15-17yo boys and basically used the nebulous occasion to fuck them).

Vivendi has fucked up their acquisition of Canal+ group in the most spectacular way, basically pushing all the team leads out while replacing them with people close to Boloré that know nothing but are loyal.

If Vivendi buys Ubisoft, expect all leads to be fired.
If they fired the guy who handle a small show on their buttfuck channel no one gives a shit about to be replaced by a guy whose such a friend to the new direction Boloré might wear the guy as a glove, no one is really safe at Ubisoft.

I don't know how things were at ATVI but Vivendi is significantly worse these days.

Illucio

Banned

Hhahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
Oh wait your serious...
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

There's only 3 companies I absolutely refuse to buy video games from and that's EA, Ubisoft, and Gearbox. The way Ubisoft treat their developers and how to they handle a lot of their titles is no better then EA.

Mael

Hhahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
Oh wait your serious...
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

There's only 3 companies I absolutely refuse to buy video games from and that's EA, Ubisoft, and Gearbox. The way Ubisoft treat their developers and how to they handle a lot of their titles is no better then EA.

Oh boy, you're going to absolutely LOVE how Vivendi treat their employees like used cleanex after a lonely night in a dorm room!
Seriously the best possible outcome is if all the firings that are going to happen means there's a myriad of small studios opening from ex employees.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Why is every Ubisoft topic filled with drive-by shitposts? I hope that this acquisition doesn't happen. I hope that if it does noone be negatively affected by it.

Oh no! Now Ubisoft will only greenlight safe sequels and apply a standard, focus tested template to all of their future games.

Everyone knows that For Honor, Southpark, Far Cry, Grow Home, Steep, Anno 2205, TrackMania, Just Dance, Beyond Good & Evil, Watch Dogs, Rainbow Six Siege, Rayman, Assassin's Creed and Child of Light are all just 'safe sequels' that just use 'a standard, focus tested template'.

Lots of people complain about Ubisoft and towers, but they'll be darned if they step off theirs.

Why is every Ubisoft topic filled with drive-by shitposts? I hope that this acquisition doesn't happen. I hope that if it does noone be negatively affected by it.

Everyone knows that For Honor, Southpark, Far Cry, Grow Home, Steep, Anno 2205, TrackMania, Just Dance, Beyond Good & Evil, Watch Dogs, Rainbow Six Siege, Rayman, Assassin's Creed and Child of Light are all just 'safe sequels' that just use 'a standard, focus tested template'.

Lots of people complain about Ubisoft and towers, but they'll be darned if they step off theirs.

Yeah, all of these drive by posts really piss me off. It's like people have to show off just how intelligent and discerning they are with what types of games they play when they are ignoring half of the god damn companies game catalogue. When posting about how bad Ubisofts games are, please post some counterexamples of what you think are good games at the very least. It's so damn lazy to just sit there and take weak potshots while not having to defend your gaming tastes.

Top Bottom