• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Top FBI officials could testify against Trump in Mueller probe

How dumb do you think the FBI is? Do you really believe that experienced law enforcement agents don't know this and don't have any other evidence ready to present?

The pessimism is overriding basic logic at this point.

There is nothing I could find the article stating that they have such evidence. The article only mentions meetings and discussions where Comey talks about his conversations with Trump. I don't think the FBI is dumb, but I do think Vox missed an important point in this article. To me it is unclear whether or not anyone has anything to add to Comey's testimony against Trump.

Huh? If there are multiple people repeating a story they were all told and took notes about at the time it absolutely goes to proving the veracity of that story.

If they weren't personally witness to the story then I don't know what they can testify to other than establishing the fact that Comey didn't make this up after the fact.

GodofWine

giphy.gif

lol perfect

There is nothing I could find the article stating that they have such evidence. The article only mentions meetings and discussions where Comey talks about his conversations with Trump. I don't think the FBI is dumb, but I do think Vox missed an important point in this article. To me it is unclear whether or not anyone has anything to add to Comey's testimony against Trump.

Why would you expect a Vox journalist to have access to this information? Why would the FBI reveal that information to a Vox journalist?

This is kind of the entire point of having a special investigation. I'd be more concerned if we knew everything and had leaks coming from all sides of the investigation.

Taramoor

Not if they are based on Comey's word. If they aren't actually witness to anything Trump did or said they aren't proving a matter of fact. They are only proving that Comey said something or wrote something down.

Except these are all conversations that would have taken place prior to Comey's firing.

Notes and memos recorded at the time, by an FBI agent, are given incredible evidentiary weight in court.

These are notes written before anyone could've collaborated or influenced the content. The story can't be changed after the fact to twist the knife or incorporate new evidence.

DonShula

People conflating an investigation that is ongoing with the GOP choosing to do nothing to be as pessimistic as possible. What's funny is the GOP...while not impeaching him...have taken steps to limit what he can do. If the GOP feel like they can get another candidate in office over Trump I have a feeling they'd go that route 100%.

On top of that we actually have some of them squawking now. The turn is slow but it has started. We're on the road to the GOP ramping up their opposition. They do need to save themselves at the end of the day.

KHarvey16

this has been said in every thread and he's still alive like a fucking cockroach,.

It's the middle of the investigation, first of all, and the list of consequences hitting this administration so far is staggering. They're useless at governing because of them.

Sephzilla

this has been said in every thread and he's still alive like a fucking cockroach,.

He hasn't even been in office for 200 days, there's already investigations into him that can very well lead to his impeachment/arrest, and his approval ratings are historically low for this early in a presidency.

That's because this stuff takes time. Christ, it's insane how folks think that just because Trump hasn't actually been arrested yet means that somehow nothing has happened.

Hell, compared to Watergate, this is already going at a considerably faster pace.

Sober6809

Banned
It's the middle of the investigation, first of all, and the list of consequences hitting this administration so far is staggering. They're useless at governing because of them.

He hasn't even been in office for 200 days, there's already investigations into him that can very well lead to his impeachment/arrest, and his approval ratings are historically low for this early in a presidency.

That's because this stuff takes time. Christ, it's insane how folks think that just because Trump hasn't actually been arrested yet means that somehow nothing has happened.

Hell, compared to Watergate, this is already going at a considerably faster pace.

If you expected something by now, you have no concept of how the American political system or justice system works.

It's a bullshit reply.

this is all fake news, bros

/s

And yes, I know these things take time but I want him the fuck out NOW. :(

KHarvey16

If they weren't personally witness to the story then I don't know what they can testify to other than establishing the fact that Comey didn't make this up after the fact.

Comey having contemporaneous notes is a huge boost to the credibility of what he is saying. If he also told a bunch of people the same story at the time and they also took notes saying the same that basically seals the deal. It doesn't matter if they weren't also there, that level of corroboration is incredibly persuasive.

It really is going to be quite ironic when the tv shows/movies around Trump's Investigation by Special Counsel gets better ratings/results than any TV show Trump actually participated in/managed

question for people who understand this: everything we've learned so far is that the FBI chain of witnessing is

1. trump gets fucky with comey
2. comey writes it down
3. come tells other people in FBI what he wrote down

now, i have no doubt a criminal act happened here -- and one in an attempt to cover up a near-treasonous act -- but my question is this: why is 'fbi officials could testify' that big of a deal when they're presumably [only] really just confirming what comey told them?
Because corroboration is important.. if they didn't testify, Donnie and his attorneys could make it boil down to a he said, she said type of situation. Trump could weather it down and deny it all and just paint Comey as nuts and his memos as nothing more than doodles

Comey having his CoS in on one occasion and informing people immediately after it happened strengthens the case that Donnie did obstruct justice.

Except these are all conversations that would have taken place prior to Comey's firing.

Notes and memos recorded at the time, by an FBI agent, are given incredible evidentiary weight in court.

These are notes written before anyone could've collaborated or influenced the content. The story can't be changed after the fact to twist the knife or incorporate new evidence.

You're exactly right. They can establish as a matter of fact that Comey hasn't changed his story.

Plumbob

People conflating an investigation that is ongoing with the GOP choosing to do nothing to be as pessimistic as possible. What's funny is the GOP...while not impeaching him...have taken steps to limit what he can do. If the GOP feel like they can get another candidate in office over Trump I have a feeling they'd go that route 100%.

The GOP is completely complicit; we can't expect them
to do the right thing for the country or their long term self interest.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Article said:
Two senior federal law enforcement officials have told me that the new revelations illustrate why they believe the potential case against Trump is stronger than outsiders have thought.
???

Of course we're not going to have all the evidence public yet and of course Vox, of all places, isn't going to get the bombshells. Just have patience...

Even if his numbers somehow manage to stay where they are there's a damn good chance the Republican Party won't even run him again. They could easily capitalize on "take our party back" separation, especially if midterms go as they usually do and the party in power is hit hard.

My initial comment was tongue in cheek so I really don't want to go too far off into the weeds here, but if you're expecting Republicans to dump Trump, you're crazy. The overwhelming majority of Congressional seals are uncompetitive, which means a Representative has more to fear about a primary challenge than they do losing to a member of the opposite party in the general election. Trump's numbers among polled Republicans are slipping, but they're still plenty strong enough to ward off Congressional Republicans, or the Republican establishment, from doing anything as drastic as starting legitimate impeachment proceedings (should Mueller's report support them) or rallying around a different candidate for 2020.

They chose to own Trump, and now he owns them.

theWB27

My initial comment was tongue in cheek so I really don't want to go too far off into the weeds here, but if you're expecting Republicans to dump Trump, you're crazy. The overwhelming majority of Congressional seals are uncompetitive, which means a Representative has more to fear about a primary challenge than they do losing to a member of the opposite party in the general election. Trump's numbers among polled Republicans are slipping, but they're still plenty strong enough to ward off Congressional Republicans, or the Republican establishment, from doing anything as drastic as starting legitimate impeachment proceedings (should Mueller's report support them) or rallying around a different candidate for 2020.

I knew your post was. There are some others in here I was referring to. You do realize how crazy it is to make this point 6 months into a presidency with a government controlled by his party on both sides? But...sorry...don't wanna go off topic.

KHarvey16

They are NOT strong enough. They are historically low amongst his own party and his "strong" support is collapsing. Midterms will seal it.

question for people who understand this: everything we've learned so far is that the FBI chain of witnessing is

1. trump gets fucky with comey
2. comey writes it down
3. come tells other people in FBI what he wrote down

now, i have no doubt a criminal act happened here -- and one in an attempt to cover up a near-treasonous act -- but my question is this: why is 'fbi officials could testify' that big of a deal when they're presumably [only] really just confirming what comey told them?

The opposing argument will be that Comey wrote his memos after he was fired, as retaliation. Multiple people confirming that he spoke about it while still at the FBI helps deflate that otherwise potentially plausible lie.

No, there is a point where they will abandon ship. They'll do it way too late, but they'll do it if there's no other choice.

It's amazing that this is even a possibility six months in.

Sephzilla

There's absolutely a point where Republicans will turn on Trump. We've already started to hear a few Republicans be more vocal about their dismay with what Trump is doing, they've been putting measures in place to keep Trump in check, and Trump himself has already been cutting ties with the traditional GOP by firing members of his staff and replacing them with more of "his people". If Trump continues to cut off the traditional GOP and Muellers investigation turns up some big things, they'll eat Trump alive out of self preservation.

Trump's hardcore fanbase is way smaller than people think.

Brashnir

This notion people seem to have that senior FBI officials know absolutely nothing about anything other than the few things Comey told them is pretty hilarious.

snap

Banned
I hope Paul Ryan gets caught up in this too. Take him out of the line of succession.

Well, if we go with the assumption that the road to impeachment hinges on the Dems taking the house, he'll be taken out of the line of succession anyways.

Speaking of, if Trump gets impeached, Pence becomes President, but if he resigns, is also impeached, or is otherwise pushed out of the White House, the Speaker becomes president, and if Dems take the house that means we'd get a Democrat in the White House despite Trump winning the election.

That's kind of hilarious (but not going to happen, the GOP will make sure Pence stays in the White House).

If post-midterm the Democrats are in control of the House and it looks likely that Trump and Pence are both in jeopardy they'll have Pence resign, let Trump choose a clean replacement, then Trump will resign / be impeached / whatever. No way the Rs will let the Speaker of the House become President if a Democrat, sadly.

rjinaz

We're not even 200 days in to his first term. Slow it down with the pessimism and focus on midterms.

This. People I know that liked Trump, all of a sudden, not so interested anymore. It's not so much that they have become less horrible in their ways of thinking, it's just that they are fatigued of Trump and, they no longer have Clinton as a rallying point. So they are just all of a sudden, done with politics. They don't talk about it.

My point being, there is still over 3 more years of Trump. everything we have been through for the last 6 months and go through it all over again 7 more times. Trump isn't going to get better. The investigation isn't going away.

People are crazy thinking Trump is going to so easily win again. I don't know how midterms will go but I feel pretty good about Trump being out in 2020.

This. People I know that liked Trump, all of a sudden, not so interested anymore. It's not so much that they have become less horrible in their ways of thinking, it's just that they are fatigued of Trump and, they no longer have Clinton as a rallying point.

My point being, there is still over 3 more years of Trump. everything we have been through for the last 6 months and go through it all over again 7 more times. Trump isn't going to get better. The investigation isn't going away.

People are crazy thinking Trump is going to so easily win again. I don't know how midterms will go but I feel pretty good about Trump being out in 2020.

I could not possibly feel any worse about the idea of him still being in office until 2020.

Think of the damage he has done. I don't just mean with policy and diplomacy. Has he even gotten through half of his appointments? We are bleeding functionality at many level of government.

rjinaz

I could not possibly feel any worse about the idea of him still being in office until 2020.

Think of the damage he has done. I don't just mean with policy and diplomacy. Has he even gotten through half of his appointments? We are bleeding functionality at many level of government.

I've accepted that Trump is very likely going to do a full term. I think if anything comes of this investigation, and I think it will, it will happen either shorty before election and after. Not enough time for it to get him out of office sooner and Republicans won't make move anyway.

We are definitely in for a very rough 3 1/2 more years. All I can hope is that most of what Trump does can be reversed and things that can't like court appointments, that things will look better if we can hold the presidency for 8 years. I'm sure the first 4 years would be just fixing what Trump fucked up and working on repairing relationships with allies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I've accepted that Trump is very likely going to do a full term. I think if anything comes of this investigation, and I think it will, it will happen either shorty before election and after. Not enough time for it to get him out of office sooner and Republicans won't make move anyway.

We are definitely in for a very rough 3 1/2 more years. All I can hope is that most of what Trump does can be reversed and things that can't like court appointments, that things will look better if we can hold the presidency for 8 years. I'm sure the first 4 years would be, just fix what Trump fucked up.

The dude is considering firing sessions and Mueller.

Plus, every week the story and evidence increase and deepen. Things can speed up any second.

Lombax

Banned
This really isn't going to end well for Trump.

This is almost to the point of a punchline. Month after month, thread after thread. My angst / anger at this point comes from the appearance that our current system straight up does not work.

The orange fuck has shown nothing but incompetence, hate, unprofessionalism, lack of interest in the job, and more than likely conspired with another country to win the election. Yet he remains in office and in full control.

KHarvey16

This is almost to the point of a punchline. Month after month, thread after thread. My angst / anger at this point comes from the appearance that our current system straight up does not work.

The orange fuck has shown nothing but incompetence, hate, unprofessionalism, lack of interest in the job, and more than likely conspired with another country to win the election. Yet he remains in office and in full control.

This is all happening incredibly fast relative to other similar situations in the past. People have unrealistic expectations about how long things take.

rjinaz

The dude is considering firing sessions and Mueller.

Plus, every week the story and evidence increase and deepen. Things can speed up any second.

Well that's true, I'm not a seer. And Trump is not a very smart man when it comes to life outside of being able to buy his way out of his problems which is where he is now.

That and maybe somehow Democrats retake some of congress. So there are a lot of factors but my mindset is he's going to do a full term.

and posters here STILL manage to somehow misunderstand a simple black and white article for the sole purpose of sprinkling their projected pessimism on a story that is good news

downright sad

Top Bottom