• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Tracking the Trump scandals on rightwing news sites. Here’s how they covered it

Eidan

This is pretty disappointing. I used to live in the DMV and the local Fox affiliate always seemed on the up and up. I usually watched WJLA, but Fox 5 was usually fine.
Fox 5 usually is fine. Which makes them running with this bullshit Seth Rich story all the more puzzling.

BadWolf

Metal Gear Solid 2 was right on the money:

Colonel: You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.

Rose: Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.

Colonel: The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.

Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."

Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

wildfire

Banned
The only way to really recover is doing something that a lot of people are going to be comfortable with, from either the left or the right: Make stern laws about fake news and propaganda

Well that's the only ethical way. There are less ethical ways to handle the manner.

Regardless I don't think there is any law ruling that can effect what Fox News is doing. Breitbart is divorced from reality but Fox News presentation of News is way more deft at framing news that is truthful but misleading by not including certain facts.

Breitbart and everyone else on the right fringe aren't that smart and actually say things that are the opposite of facts.

Laws will have a much harder time surviving with the way Fox News reports news.

Linkup

Very interesting. Makes we wonder what will happen in the next election. I can't imagine these people or news organization will stop and the US doesn't really have laws to deal with this kind of thing. Even if it's clear bots are being used nothing is done about it until it doesn't matter so why don't Twitter, Facebook, Youtube etc has systems in place to stop this?

It really seems like the only way to counter it is to take a very questioning approach asking for sources and holding people to their word. Maybe new news organizations brought in from the world news sources thought I bet many on here wouldn't want that either.

One good article I read remarked that it's no longer America, it's two separate countries called Leftland and Rightland. And each country reads and watches different news, and are effectively different Nations.

I don't know how a country recovers from that to be honest.

No. If there's a "Leftland" in the US that's the left-slanted mirror of "Rightland", it's a small unheard minority. The two part of America are Reality and Rightland.

Buckle

One good article I read remarked that it's no longer America, it's two separate countries called Leftland and Rightland. And each country reads and watches different news, and are effectively different Nations.

I don't know how a country recovers from that to be honest.
Along with poor education, the spread and popularity of right wing propaganda is a big part of the problem.

Its easier to buy into the lie than admit that our leaders, the people that are supposed to protect our democracy are rotten to the core.

Along with poor education, the spread and popularity of right wing propaganda is a big part of the problem.

Its easier to buy into the lie than admit that our leaders, the people that are supposed to protect our democracy are rotten to the core.

That's not it at all. They'd be more than happy to believe our leaders are rotten if they are liberal. They have been psycholoigcally placed in team conservative, and no matter what happens they are dead set on defending that position, since it's based on ignorance in the first place (at least for the vast majority of modern republicans)

Top Bottom