• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR: My Morpheus and Oculus Impressions. Fairly Detailed

Parch

I don't doubt it's cool as hell and deeply immersive, but I'm just not a big fan of playing games in first person.

A fine option for those who want it, but I probably wouldn't have much interest on jumping on the VR bandwagon.

Freeman

Banned
I don't doubt it's cool as hell and deeply immersive, but I'm just not a big fan of playing games in first person.

A fine option for those who want it, but I probably wouldn't have much interest on jumping on the VR bandwagon.

The gameplay doesn't need to be in first person. Are you a fan of living your life in first person?

Mindlog

How much do you think it will cost, and why?
I'm not prognosticating the fine details.

It's just sudden to see the conversation of VR from the past where $300 for the headset seemed like a common reasonable figure can now hit $200 with a camera and controller. A while back we had several discussions on what panels these headsets would use. Some were adamant that Japan Display would be able to create the best screen at the best price and Rift CV1 would be using that screen. If Sony manages to source a panel and parts at $200 I imagine other companies would be willing to create the clone device that's proven to be of little interest to Oculus.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
In conclusion, I really feel that VR is the most impressive tech we’ve gotten since the internet.

You sound like me...because I say from time to time to folks around me the internet is the greatest invention in our modern times.

Feels like it’s gonna have even more impact on the world than smartphones. Just my hunch. But the sheer amount of potential is just mind shattering staggering.

On another note, and I hope I don’t come off as a fanboy when saying this, but it kinda saddens me that it isn’t Mario ushering in all this amazing VR goodness. We desperately need some Rez, OutRun 2, and some MGS VR Missions.

In any case, I’m very excited for the future. Thanks for reading.

I mentioned this before....but seeing how Nintendo tested the waters with Virtual Boy....I am absolutely shocked VR isnt on their agenda right now. And shocked Sony beat them to the punch with VR. Even MS and Kinect basically one upping Wii motion controls.

VR could have been Nintendo's next thing to grab attention. They may have missed the boat unless they have some nice twist to add to it.

Your post and others about their experiences with VR has me really excited.

Mikhailov elaborated on that particular element of the demo, saying that its inclusion and the resulting discomfort was intentional. The Morpheus team is using these E3 demos as a sort of real-world lab and the press and general public attendees as guinea pigs. Mikhailov's aware that this kind of visceral experience could diminish over repeated playtime, especially as gamers become acclimated to VR. But what he's most interested in is whether or not gamers want that nervous sensation to stick around with each playthrough. Does VR become less real when we can no longer physically feel it? That's the question Mikhailov is seeking to answer with Street Luge -- the question of standards. It's something Sony plans to address not only as a cooperative effort with other VR firms, but also for its own Morpheus gaming platform.

The Morpheus of today likely won't resemble the Morpheus that launches at retail. Marks said Sony's consumer electronics division is working to refine its design and form factor for better ergonomics and weight. It'll even ship with "very short headphones" packed in the box, although Sony wants gamers to have the option to use the headset of their choice. But one thing that's sure to remain consistent from now until the release of the first consumer model is its wired connection. "Wireless is challenging," Marks said. "There's a lot of data. All of the visual data that's being transmitted to the displays -- sending that wirelessly is challenging. It's something we're looking at, but it's a very tricky engineering problem."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/11/the-future-of-sony-virtual-reality-e3-morpheus/

Zaptruder

Banned
Eh... As someone who's about to drop a thousand dollars on a PC for VR I'm telling you you're wrong. A 1000 bucks is a lot of money to Most people even for something as awesome as s VR.

I'm hyped as one can be about VR and I've been following the Oculus Rift since the start. But if Morpheus was coming out this year I wouldn't bother building a PC. But seeing how Dev kit 2 is the only way to get some VR goodness, I can't wait any longer. VR's only chance of going main stream, is for the box running it be $500 bucks of less. That's why I'm glad Sony is getting into the VR game in a real way. More people will be exposed to quality VR even if it's not quite as good as what you can get on the PC side with a monster rig.

Maybe not as common as buying a smartphone... but as common as buying a high end laptop.

i.e. something that many in the non-gaming crowd will discuss as though it was the next logical evolution of computing use.

You sound like me...because I say from time to time to folks around me the internet is the greatest invention in our modern times.

I mentioned this before....but seeing how Nintendo tested the waters with Virtual Boy....I am absolutely shocked VR isnt on their agenda right now. And shocked Sony beat them to the punch with VR. Even MS and Kinect basically one upping Wii motion controls.

VR could have been Nintendo's next thing to grab attention. They may have missed the boat unless they have some nice twist to add to it.

Your post and others about their experiences with VR has me really excited.

If Nintendo is doing VR, than likely they'll design the product around it. They aren't going to throw away the Wii U quite yet though. See it through and then launch whatever they have in the pipe after.

But it is a shame that they missed the mark on this one, though maybe it's been their failure with the virtual boy that has left them wary of jumping into that market. There have been recent comments from them still, like in regards to Twitch integration, that show how distant they are.

All of this is incredibly exciting though. I remember heading to the airport in all the pre-moving chaos and overhearing a few people chattering about Oculus Rift (this was around January). It may be a bit of a tough sell through inclusion, but I still think it can be a marketing madhouse when that tech hits retail.

Goldrush

Even if Nintendo is crazy about VR, it would be years before a capable machine and visor bundle reaches the Nintendo price point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If Move is what we get for a VR controller I am going to be pretty disappointed. Would like something with sticks on each hand and more buttons.

Something like the the Razer Hydra would be much more suited...

This easily has the most potential of any controller I've seen. (based on two Moves and two Move navigational controllers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hykjEBYzCnE
That treadmill stuff is just silly.
Racing cockpit setups just got a lot more attractive, though.

bj00rn_

Banned
DK2 already has a tracking camera. Morpheus has full 360 degree tracking, which is an advantage, but Oculus have confirmed that they've already improved on the camera system and I would be surprised not to see 360 tracking on it as well. Its hardly difficult to achieve.

You are right, we are just talking about attaching a couple of extra ir-reflectors at the back and adjusting the drivers. (I assume) the reason that's not done on the dev kits is because the CV design isn't ready/released yet. There's basically no reward for adding these on the devkits right now for narrow use because it adds extra cost.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Haha really? ?

They pretty much have to. I guarantee that Facebook is going to make their own version. Sony is probably glad they did that legwork now.

border

Really? Aren't the main components just cellphone display and lenses? Oculus is already down to $350.

And Nintendo is currently charging $300 for a console based around 2007 technologies. As a company they are way too risk-averse to get into VR. Not to mention that they are often focused on local multiplayer experiences, and VR is not really about local multiplaer.

And Nintendo is currently charging $300 for a console based around 2007 technologies. As a company they are way too risk-averse to get into VR. Not to mention that they are often focused on local multiplayer experiences, and VR is not really about local multiplaer.
Touché.

I hope for their sake, or for the sake of the dream of playing a proper VR Mario and Zelda, that they get their shit together and figure something out, if they haven't already.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Sigh. Um... no. TheSonicRetard appears to have no idea what he's talking about. Well, actually he seems to know just enough to be dangerous. He got some stuff kinda halfway sorta right.

Here's a short version of what is actually happening, and why:

The Oculus and Morpheus both use an inertial measurement unit (IMU) to detect rotation. This is primarily done via three gyroscopes in the IMU. Since gyros are subject to drift, they are backed up by three magnetometers (think, compasses), and three accelerometers. The magnetometers can (slowly) detect "north", and the accelerometers can (slowly) detect "down", so they can be used to test if the (fast) data coming from gyros is starting to drift. Think of it as a constant re-calibration of the gyros. A sanity check, if you will. The IMU in your phone can do all of this stuff.

Positional tracking works in a similar way, but with different sensors. As I said, the IMU contains accelerometers. They measure acceleration, which can be used to (roughly) calculate velocity, with can in-turn be used to (roughly) calculate position. However, any errors made in measuring acceleration will turn into giant errors after you've integrated them twice to get position. The IMU will (within seconds) think you are shooting off at a high velocity, even if you are standing still. In short, consumer-grade IMUs are useless for measuring location, and that has precisely nothing to do with gravity, nor the frequency of the sensor updates in the IMU.

So, to accurately measure the movement and position of something for more than a fraction of a second, you need something else. Usually, the "something else" is a camera. The Move, the Morpheus, the Kinect, the Rift DK2, the TrackIR, and the Wiimote all use a camera to measure the position of stuff. The Kinect uses some fairly fancy tech to do it, but all the others essentially just look for points that are a known distance apart, and then use trig to decide where those points must be in relation to the camera. Motion to the left, right, up and down can be detected pretty easily. If the points appear to be getting smaller or closer together, the camera can deduce that the points are getting further away from the camera, and vice versa. That's all you need to measure position: A camera, and some points in a known configuration to "look at".

Ah, but there's a rub. Cameras are slow compared to IMUs. And once you've got a picture, you still need to do some clever math to figure out what the picture means. That leads to latency, and in VR, puking. So, developers do something called "sensor fusion" to look at both the camera and the IMU when they they try to calculate position. To oversimplify, they use the IMU to sense the very beginning of a motion, and then use the camera to verify that the motion is actually happening, and isn't just some crazy IMU drift. In a sense, the camera is doing a continuous re-calibration of the fast and sensitive (but very error prone) IMU.

It's even groovier and more complicated than that, because every one of those sensors helps to make every one of the other sensors work better. (E.g. rotation data from the gyros helps the camera better (more quickly and unambiguously) understand what the points it is tracking are actually doing.) Every sensor is providing valuable hints to the other sensors, with reduces their errors. Synergy!

very informative post.
thank you

Seanspeed

Banned
To be fair, I'm just looking at their costs. I think they can build the headset alone for <$100. Whether they sell them that cheaply is another question, but Shu indicated they're looking at Morpheus as a platform rather than an accessory, which implies near-cost pricing. Maybe they'll launch it at $149 before dropping it to $99. /shrug

FWIW, I think Move is going to be a lot more important than you give it credit for, whether via the DS4, the wands and/or pickle, or some kind of be-joysticked wand. Watch this video. I think pointing with the lightbar on the DS4 is going to become the de facto control method for shooters and the like in VR.
Well I define Move as the wands. The camera system of course is necessary and the implications of it with the DS4 are far more 'useably' exciting than the wands, cuz you're not severely limited by lack of analog sticks.

Zaptruder

Banned
Sigh. Um... no. TheSonicRetard appears to have no idea what he's talking about. Well, actually he seems to know just enough to be dangerous. He got some stuff kinda halfway sorta right.

Here's a short version of what is actually happening, and why:

The Oculus and Morpheus both use an inertial measurement unit (IMU) to detect rotation. This is primarily done via three gyroscopes in the IMU. Since gyros are subject to drift, they are backed up by three magnetometers (think, compasses), and three accelerometers. The magnetometers can (slowly) detect "north", and the accelerometers can (slowly) detect "down", so they can be used to test if the (fast) data coming from gyros is starting to drift. Think of it as a constant re-calibration of the gyros. A sanity check, if you will. The IMU in your phone can do all of this stuff.

Positional tracking works in a similar way, but with different sensors. As I said, the IMU contains accelerometers. They measure acceleration, which can be used to (roughly) calculate velocity, with can in-turn be used to (roughly) calculate position. However, any errors made in measuring acceleration will turn into giant errors after you've integrated them twice to get position. The IMU will (within seconds) think you are shooting off at a high velocity, even if you are standing still. In short, consumer-grade IMUs are useless for measuring location, and that has precisely nothing to do with gravity, nor the frequency of the sensor updates in the IMU.

So, to accurately measure the movement and position of something for more than a fraction of a second, you need something else. Usually, the "something else" is a camera. The Move, the Morpheus, the Kinect, the Rift DK2, the TrackIR, and the Wiimote all use a camera to measure the position of stuff. The Kinect uses some fairly fancy tech to do it, but all the others essentially just look for points that are a known distance apart, and then use trig to decide where those points must be in relation to the camera. Motion to the left, right, up and down can be detected pretty easily. If the points appear to be getting smaller or closer together, the camera can deduce that the points are getting further away from the camera, and vice versa. That's all you need to measure position: A camera, and some points in a known configuration to "look at".

Ah, but there's a rub. Cameras are slow compared to IMUs. And once you've got a picture, you still need to do some clever math to figure out what the picture means. That leads to latency, and in VR, puking. So, developers do something called "sensor fusion" to look at both the camera and the IMU when they they try to calculate position. To oversimplify, they use the IMU to sense the very beginning of a motion, and then use the camera to verify that the motion is actually happening, and isn't just some crazy IMU drift. In a sense, the camera is doing a continuous re-calibration of the fast and sensitive (but very error prone) IMU.

It's even groovier and more complicated than that, because every one of those sensors helps to make every one of the other sensors work better. (E.g. rotation data from the gyros helps the camera better (more quickly and unambiguously) understand what the points it is tracking are actually doing.) Every sensor is providing valuable hints to the other sensors, with reduces their errors. Synergy!

That's what TheSonicRetard said (in less technical detail)... it's just a semantic disagreement on your part :p

But still, great post.

And indeed, our brains use sensor fusion for figuring out our place in reality as well. The defeat of any sensor doesn't knock us out completely; but together, they build a very low latency and accurate understanding of how we've located ourselves in space.

Ding II

Thanks for this. I've often wondered exactly how the systems were wedded. This is basically what I imagined, but I've never seen any real confirmation of it. Can I ask how you know this stuff? I'd be interested in any other input you have on the subject as well, whether for head tracking specifically, or motion controls in general. Do you have any direct experience working with Move/Morpheus and/or DK2?
I don't have any particular inside knowledge; VR is just a subject that interests me, so I tend to read up on whatever I can. I think there've been some blog posts about sensor fusion posted on the Oculus website, but it's not at all a new concept. (Although it's only semi-recently that the sensors have gotten cheap enough to be used in stuff like video games.)

I own a DK1, but I'm going to skip the DK2 and wait for the CV1, or maybe even wait for the CV2, since it sounds like that's when things will really start getting interesting. (Plus, the software should have matured a bunch by then. Buying a "launch headset" will be much like buying a console at launch: There won't be that much to do with it for the first 18 months or so.) If I had more discretionary income, I'd buy then all, but I don't, so I have to be a bit pickier! I haven't seen anything newer than the DK1 "in the flesh".

I know Nintendo had the Virtual boy, but realistically, how noteworthy was their approach? I never used it personally, but I know it was basically table mounted, and nightmare inducing black and red.

How was the FOV? I mean obviously head tracking, resolution and such were no where close to good enough, but still curious.

I know Nintendo had the Virtual boy, but realistically, how noteworthy was their approach? I never used it personally, but I know it was basically table mounted, and nightmare inducing black and red.

How was the FOV? I mean obviously head tracking, resolution and such were no where close to good enough, but still curious.
There was no headtracking. It wasn't virtual reality at all.. Basically imagine the stereo 3D you get with the 3DS, but with way worse graphics, only red on black for color, and instead of holding it in your hands you had to put it on a table and pull your face right into it and use a really weird controller.

Ignore the image you may see on Google search of the guy with it mounted to his head, that's not practical and wouldn't do anything for you. This is more accurate:

11913.jpg

Example of the graphics:

Mario_Clash_-_Nintendo_Virtual_Boy_screen_shot.png

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a good job summarizing the system and its games: http://cinemassacre.com/2008/02/19/virtual-boy/

To be fair, I'm just looking at their costs. I think they can build the headset alone for <$100. Whether they sell them that cheaply is another question, but Shu indicated they're looking at Morpheus as a platform rather than an accessory, which implies near-cost pricing. Maybe they'll launch it at $149 before dropping it to $99. /shrug

FWIW, I think Move is going to be a lot more important than you give it credit for, whether via the DS4, the wands and/or pickle, or some kind of be-joysticked wand. Watch this video. I think pointing with the lightbar on the DS4 is going to become the de facto control method for shooters and the like in VR.

And retailers will just carry that for free?

There was no headtracking. It wasn't virtual reality at all.. Basically imagine the stereo 3D you get with the 3DS, but with way worse graphics, only red on black for color, and instead of holding it in your hands you had to put it on a table and pull your face right into it and use a really weird controller.

Ignore the image you may see on Google search of the guy with it mounted to his head, that's not practical and wouldn't do anything for you. This is more accurate:

11913.jpg

Example of the graphics:

Mario_Clash_-_Nintendo_Virtual_Boy_screen_shot.png

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a good job summarizing the system and its games: http://cinemassacre.com/2008/02/19/virtual-boy/

LOL awesome, I had figured as much, but had no experience to back it up. Thank you kindly.

I wake up every morning feeling like I'm stuck in the past. I've experienced the future and feel like I'm gonna be in the past til I get VR again.

I wanna buy a Dev Kit 2 today. I'm just wondering if I should put that money towards a PS4 instead, since I feel Sony is gonna have a more practical solution, that'll likely come in at under $700 for the entire setup.

I also don't have that great of a computer to run Oculus. I'd have to use my friends rigs for sure.

I really don't wanna wait though, its driving me nuts.

Thoughts?

Eusis

It's kinda hard to believe that this is his first try. They couldn't be that ignorant of a new technology, could they? Even if they think it has not much potential, they should try it, shouldn't they?
Well, that might be an assumption on people's parts, but supposing it isn't? We're talking a device that only has "development kits" for sale and is awhile away from the consumer mass market model coming out. Seems reasonable to not have tried it right away, and failing that he may have only tried the first version then tried the second for the first time at E3.

I'm not prognosticating the fine details.

It's just sudden to see the conversation of VR from the past where $300 for the headset seemed like a common reasonable figure can now hit $200 with a camera and controller. A while back we had several discussions on what panels these headsets would use. Some were adamant that Japan Display would be able to create the best screen at the best price and Rift CV1 would be using that screen. If Sony manages to source a panel and parts at $200 I imagine other companies would be willing to create the clone device that's proven to be of little interest to Oculus.
So, you have nothing to add to the conversation, but just stopped by to tell me I'm wrong because reasons? :p

Oculus have been saying $300 including the camera, and that was back when they only had the buying power of a Kickstarter and planned on using the spendiest panels they could find
, which it sounds like they still intend to do
. I've explained why I think Sony can build the headset for under $100. Do you actually have a rebuttal beyond, "Nuh uh"?

Well I define Move as the wands. The camera system of course is necessary and the implications of it with the DS4 are far more 'useably' exciting than the wands, cuz you're not severely limited by lack of analog sticks.
Fair enough. I look at it as the motion tracking tech itself, so it's present in the wands, the DS4, Morpheus, and CC/DK2. I was basically wondering whether you thought motion tracking — beyond head tracking, natch — was unnecessary for VR in general, or if you were expecting a better solution than "Move" to come along before these things launch.

Personally, I think motion controls are going to be important in VR for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, the first thing most people do after donning a headset is to look at their own hands and/or start reaching for stuff. That's just human nature, and not being able to do so immediately breaks presence, so the more natural the man-machine interface, the stronger the sense of presence. The other issue is being able to separate looking and aiming. You can do your aiming with your head, but trust me, that gets really tedious without pupil tracking. Having your controller double as a virtual laser pointer is much more intuitive and easier on your muscles.

That said though, it sounds like your main issue with the wands is the lack of the analog stick. So if the wands had that, you think we'd be all good? What do you think of the DS4, and using as shown in the video I linked? Is that a workable solution?

I don't have any particular inside knowledge; VR is just a subject that interests me, so I tend to read up on whatever I can. I think there've been some blog posts about sensor fusion posted on the Oculus website, but it's not at all a new concept. (Although it's only semi-recently that the sensors have gotten cheap enough to be used in stuff like video games.)

I own a DK1, but I'm going to skip the DK2 and wait for the CV1, or maybe even wait for the CV2, since it sounds like that's when things will really start getting interesting. (Plus, the software should have matured a bunch by then. Buying a "launch headset" will be much like buying a console at launch: There won't be that much to do with it for the first 18 months or so.) If I had more discretionary income, I'd buy then all, but I don't, so I have to be a bit pickier! I haven't seen anything newer than the DK1 "in the flesh".
Ah, right on. Thanks again for your insight.

And retailers will just carry that for free?
They already carry the consoles themselves "for free," right?

Hale-XF11

I wake up every morning feeling like I'm stuck in the past. I've experienced the future and feel like I'm gonna be in the past til I get VR again.

I wanna buy a Dev Kit 2 today. I'm just wondering if I should put that money towards a PS4 instead, since I feel Sony is gonna have a more practical solution, that'll likely come in at under $700 for the entire setup.

I also don't have that great of a computer to run Oculus. I'd have to use my friends rigs for sure.

Thoughts?
I pre-ordered DK2 with the logic that it's a fairly low-risk purchase. If for any reason I decide not to keep it, I can likely sell it for what I paid for it. So at the very least, I'll get to try out the latest VR tech "now" instead of much later.

Mindlog

So, you have nothing to add to the conversation, but just stopped by to tell me I'm wrong because reasons? :p
Why wouldn't I? It worked before ;p

Oculus have been saying $300 including the camera, and that was back when they only had the buying power of a Kickstarter and planned on using the spendiest panels they could find
, which it sounds like they still intend to do
. I've explained why I think Sony can build the headset for under $100. Do you actually have a rebuttal beyond, "Nuh uh"?
I would love to get these devices at those prices. It would save me money. Oculus never ever planned to use the 'spendiest' panel. It was always the best panel available at a certain price range. I've been saying this since that previous thread where I was assured that the best deal for Oculus would be the same custom panel Sony was making for Morpheus.

Why wouldn't I? It worked before ;p
Not really. :p

I would love to get these devices at those prices. It would save me money. Oculus never ever planned to use the 'spendiest' panel. It was always the best panel available at a certain price range. I've been saying this since that previous thread where I was assured that the best deal for Oculus would be the same custom panel Sony was making for Morpheus.
Both Sony and Facebook have indicated they'll be selling their headset near cost. I've shown why I think a 1080p headset can be built for $100. Do you have anything you can share which would show that it will cost more? I mean component costs, BTW. Do the optics cost $100 or something? Exactly what are you basing your disagreement on? You're offering nothing but semantic distractions here.

coldcrush

Neo Member
If VR gaming is your primary goal then these are my thoughts :-

I Love the Morpheus, and think it will end up being a great piece of kit, it will deliver good games, that you can plug in and play,
the Oculus, will possibly be cheaper to buy as a unit, but the peripherals, and cost of pc + upgrades will be more in the long run,,,,
It depends on your gaming preference, but personally I would get a dk2 as you can get it sooner and start playing demos right away (albeit at your buddies house), rather than waiting for consumer release of either oculus or sony's HMD. You will be able to buy a ps4 cheaper in the future also.
As mentioned you can always sell the DK2 down the line when the 2 Consumer versions come out and make more of an informed decision,,,
I think both products will be good in the end and consumers will be in a win win situation

Thoughts?

So are you confirming Oculus and Sony will release 1K headsets using the same (built by SONY) displays in 2014?
Seriously? I was arguing that Oculus didn't have the buying power to get the panels they needed, and pointing out that Sony could get the needed panels made, had a vested interest in doing so, and didn't seem particularly interested in trying to take over Oculus' business or otherwise eat their lunch. So since Oculus needed a partner, Sony seemed like a good choice. After the Facebook acquisition, practically the first words out of Palmer's mouth were, "Now we can get the panels we need!"

Hey, how much do you think it will cost Sony to build their headset? Why do you think that?

Top Bottom