• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulture: Tarantino on Hateful Eight, White Supremacy, Obama and More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the interview. Pretty entertaining.

Why does he have such a hard on for someone as mediocre as David O Russell though? Buddies?

Forreal you think he's spitting some truth and then he drops a turd like saying american hustle will be watched in 30 years. Nobody even cares about it like 1 year out

Toothless

I can't believe he likes O. Russell so much, but doesn't mention the best of his recent films.

Brilliant interview, I laughed a couple of times. Tarantino seems like a funny guy, and his scripts show it.

Akahige

I read the interview a few days ago, considered posting it, really fascinating.
Have you seen True Detective?

I tried to watch the first episode of season one, and I didn’t get into it at all. I thought it was really boring. And season two looks awful. Just the trailer — all these handsome actors trying to not be handsome and walking around looking like the weight of the world is on their shoulders. It’s so serious, and they’re so tortured, trying to look miserable with their mustaches and grungy clothes.

Now, the HBO show I loved was Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom. That was the only show that I literally watched three times. I would watch it at seven o’clock on Sunday, when the new one would come on. Then after it was over, I’d watch it all over again. Then I would usually end up watching it once during the week, just so I could listen to the dialogue one more time.

I think people will be surprised to hear that. The Newsroom’s reviews were all over the place. Sorkin even apologized for some of it.

Who the fuck reads TV reviews? Jesus fucking Christ. TV critics review the pilot. Pilots of shows suck. Why would it be surprising that I like the best dialogue writer in the business?
This cracks me up so much.

Also he can shit on cate Blanchett movies all he wants but I bet carol will be >>> hateful eight. Todd Haynes is great

The latter sounds tight tho, no doubt

Toparaman

Banned
There are so many great quotes in this interview.

The last time that I felt competitive was when I was doing Kill Bill and my competition was The Matrix Reloaded. That was the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads. I saw Matrix Reloaded at the Chinese Theatre the day it opened, and I walked out of the cinema singing that Jay Z song: “S-dot-Carter / Y’all must try harder / Competition is nada.” I was like, Bring it the fuck on. I was worried about that? Ho-ly shit.

Also:
Back in the ’80s, when movies sucked — I saw more movies then than I’d ever seen in my life, and the Hollywood bottom-line product was the worst it had been since the ’50s

I love 80s movies, but he's not wrong. Movie-making became really cheap and budget-conscious in the '80s. It's why Aliens was shot on cheaper film than Alien. Also the escapism factor got turned way up in light of the success of late '70s blockbusters like Jaws, Halloween, and of course Star Wars.

Fantastic interview, always fun reading / seeing Tarantino. Glad to hear he loved The Shield and Justified!!

You’ve been criticized for the same things for your entire career, namely, your use of violence and the N-word. Do you listen to any of that anymore?
Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just fuck off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire.

Hahaha, thats awesome.

Toa TAK

Banned
He's on the money about how hard it is to have a Top 10. This is a great interview, OP, thanks for sharing.

And lol @ He's not Nostradamus.

This was great. <3 that dude. You can tell he's just a fucking film fanatic at heart.

only part i don't like. Folks been talking about it since the 60s, just white people ignore it until it is in their face.

...you know you basically just rephrased what he said, right?

I just want to hear him talk about things. Always had great respect for him, and it's only growing. You go QT! Keep giving us the hits.

I would love to attend a course on film history lectured by him. You know the guy would devote a week just to grindhouse cinema and fill it with all sorts of insider tidbits, I'd eat that shit up. I think he actually said in one interview he considered teaching after retiring from filmmaking, no? Assume it would be for screenwriting though. Actually it might have been just doing a book, not sure.

While some of his taste is questionable nice to see him giving Baumbach a shoutout. While We're Young was alright, not as good as Greenberg or Frances Ha though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
But I learned a big lesson with Grindhouse, and I try not to repeat the mistake. Robert Rodriguez and I had gotten used to going our own way, on these weird roads, and having the audience come along. We’d started thinking they’d go wherever we wanted. With Grindhouse, that proved not to be the case. It was still worth doing, but it would have been better if we weren’t caught so unaware by how uninterested people were.

Yeah, this sounds like the moment where he turned into a way less interesting director to me. I'm sure he got spooked severely by Jackie Brown's reception too, which incidentally was exactly the kind of movie I wanted to see from him.

injurai

Banned
He lost me at...

"But The Fighter or American Hustle — those will be watched in 30 years."

But otherwise a good interview.

Hehehe

I don't think he buys his own hype all that much. I just think he's getting on with his age and realises he can't really be fucked with at this point in his career so he can be blunt and cranky.

His whole I have to burn out instead of fade away ethos is him believing in his own hype.

In other interviews he has this strange thing against digital film making. Holding true to that, then he is basically saying that any movie shot on a Red or otherwise doesn't have good cinematography because it isn't photochemical. It is such a strange hipster thing to hold on to. Cinema isn't frames of celluloid going through a projector. Cinema is a format and a shit ton of artistry and decision making behind it.

I don't get this 80s movies sucked narrative. It was explosive for adventure and high concept idea movies. It also created a resurgence in grind house and low budget productions via home video.

FTF

This seems a bit concerning no?

We’re five months from the release of The Hateful Eight. How close to finishing are you?
We’ve got a little bit more than an hour finished right now. I just got back from seeing an hour of the movie cut together.

Are you happy with it?
I’m not committing suicide yet. It is what it is. We’re rushing and trying to get to the end. Then you go through it and try to make it even better. But first, you just get to the end.

Only half finished?

Yeah, this sounds like the moment where he turned into a way less interesting director to me. I'm sure he got spooked severely by Jackie Brown's reception too, which incidentally was exactly the kind of movie I wanted to see from him.

His best, don't know how much we have Elmore Leonard to thank for that. Movie is so damn good.

see5harp

Not a big fan of The Fighter despite some great performances, but American Hustle was a really well put together movie that I enjoyed all of the way through.

big ander

the O'Russell thing I just assumed was a result of them being friends or something, The Fighter was decent but forgettable and the other recent two are awful and forgettable, faint shadows of actually good movies with hollow centers and loud, braindead performances. Jean-Marc Vallee's similarly aligned oscar bait has a better chance of being remembered in 30 years

Ayt

Banned
only part i don't like. Folks been talking about it since the 60s, just white people ignore it until it is in their face.

That was his point.

I'm curious of what you think of Django Unchained in terms of how it portrays race.

The great thing about Tarantino is that he can have some fucking wild opinions and tastes but unlike most people on the internet he can spend 2 paragraphs sincerely backing it up. He's never contrary. He's just Tarantino.

What did American Hustle do to become so hated?

I don't think it's hated but I think we all had a collective hangover a little after seeing it. The glitz and glamour wore off and it really didn't have much to say beyond that (which, I dunno, could be thematically appropriate if looked at the right way). It's a fun ride with no substance.

Fjordson

Tarantino just has weird taste, always has. I remember reading an interview years ago where he talked about Breathless being an all-time great film. I figured it was the Godard film, but he was talking about the '83 remake with Richard Gere :lol

Ayt

Banned
I wonder if he'll do a TV show one day.

It's a pretty big commitment, but would love to see his style in a long format.

I've heard him say several times he'd like to do a miniseries type show if the right opportunity presented itself. I watched an interview with Craig Ferguson recently where he talked about how Inglourious Basterds was essentially written in miniseries format (he was even imagining it in 1 hour chunks while writing it with appropriate transitions from episode to episode, for example) and he had to shave it down to what we ended up with.

I don't think it is difficult to imagine an 8-10 hour version of that film that has many more side stories that increase the length without taking away all that much from the experience of the story. He stated in the interview that he kept thinking of new subplots to add while he was writing it which is why it was originally so long.

A miniseries on HBO coming from him would be pretty sweet. I hope he is able to do it at some point.

Since I mentioned Inglourious Basterds, I thought this interview with Tarantino, Brad Pitt, and and Elvis Mitchell was very interesting. Mitchell asks some very good questions and Pitt and Tarantino are very open. I also thought the point about Pitt's physicality as an actor was really interesting.

https://youtu.be/cS0mr7HqlpY

Frog-fu

Banned
His whole I have to burn out instead of fade away ethos is him believing in his own hype.

In other interviews he has this strange thing against digital film making. Holding true to that, then he is basically saying that any movie shot on a Red or otherwise doesn't have good cinematography because it isn't photochemical. It is such a strange hipster thing to hold on to. Cinema isn't frames of celluloid going through a projector. Cinema is a format and a shit ton of artistry and decision making behind it.

Well of course he buys into it to some degree. He has created some of the most highly regarded films in the history of the art.

I can't speak of the digital film-making because I'm frankly not qualified on the matter. Tarantino is a fantastic director though so I think he has his reasons, andI do believe he isn't the only one that holds him. iirc Nolan has similar beliefs and actively makes the effort to proselytise as many directors as will listen.

Tarantino does this crazy thing where I'll agree wholeheartedly with one thing he says, then his very next statement will have me like "Whaaa?" and look at him like some eclectic narcissist.

Good interview though. He definitely doesn't filter his venom spewing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom