• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking Dead S3: A New Frontier Ep 1/2 SPOILER THREAD

sammex

Yeah I tried to play as if I didn't know who Clementine was and choose options that Javier would but after the flashback in ep1 that went straight out the window and chose to side with Clem every time. Really enjoyed both episodes though.

Melchior

Just to preface my thoughts on season 3 so far I absolutely loved season 1 easily in my top 5 games. The ending was perfect. Then when I got around to season 2 and unfortunately I hated every single character they introduced/brought back. Edit: I should also add that while this put me in a bad mood the entire playthrough the choices I did make were pretty tough because there would be situations where I would say "fuck this guy" but then have to save someone because I felt that it was the best choice to keep clem safe. Also I really liked the ending choices.

Now playing Season 3 I'm getting flashbacks of season 2. I really do not care about any of these characters on an emotional level. I'm interested with the episode 2 ending tease but the choices aren't as impactful if Clem isn't involved. And I find myself thinking "when will I be playing as clem?"

I'm trying to keep an open mind and look for a hook or something to keep me on Javi and Tripp but I mean I just cannot connect at all. Hopefully episode 3-5 get me but for now I'll be playing only for clem. Also I really hope they don't try to push gabe and clem together. I tilted out of existence when they joked about it. I made choices for Clem to be as independent as possible and it would be shitty if they just tossed that out for romance.

Those Conrad percentages. Like 90%+ shot him.

People like Clem, Telltale. You could have a "Shoot Clementine or we will erase the game from your hard drive permanently THIS IS NOT A JOKE NO REFUNDS" and I still wouldn't bet against Clementine.

I wonder if they are going to kill her off. Those episode thumbnails give me a bad feeling and nobody is prepared for it. It would hit folks right in the gut.

zeemumu

I hope we get to see Lee.

She's gonna die defending Javi from a bunch of New Frontier soldiers and then Clem will tell Javi that he's her legacy and die while the angel of Lee takes her away and she asks "would you say that I kept my hair short?"

CrazyDude

She's gonna die defending Javi from a bunch of New Frontier soldiers and then Clem will tell Javi that he's her legacy and die while the angel of Lee takes her away and she asks "would you say that I kept my hair short?"

I am betting Javi becomes the leader of The New Frontier and Clem at the end either leaves or stays depending on your relationship with her.

zeemumu

I don't know how I would feel about Lee and Clem being in the show. Also, I don't want to watch Lee die again. I rather see Clem in the comic.

I think we'd only see Lee in a flashback if anything. Clem in the show would likely be older Clementine since the time period of the outbreak is important to her story.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Stop making me make hard decisions and making me cry Telltale. Holy fuck.... ಥ_ಥ

Crossing Eden

Finished it?
Yep. Was literally trying to hold back my tears at the end of the first episode and lost it at the beginning of the second. What the actual fuck. Telltale has killed children before but that was fucking brutal.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yep. Was literally trying to hold back my tears at the end of the first episode and lost it at the beginning of the second. What the actual fuck. Telltale has killed children before but that was fucking brutal.
Yeah, they really had me going at that ending and I should've known better. That switch from "feel good" to "adult horror" was masterful.

Hoping episode 3 comes out this month.

TheYanger

Should've seen it coming tbh. But I didn't. The absolute most likeable member of that family who hasn't seemed to do anything wrong? Yeah she's fucking gone. I was still quite bummed out. I think it was more the sudden nature of it, and she didn't have a shitload of random exposition like in the show when they want to kill a C tier character for effect. "Hey this person is having a high point in their life and suspiciously walking and turning their back OH AN ARROW IN THEIR EYE" - This was a lot more random and brutal in the way of like Kat in Reach, where it ACTUALLY doesn't seem like the scene is built for that purpose, which is a lot harder. I think that's a tough but subtle difference that is hard to get write. The point of the scene is still to pull the rug out, but it's making that the only purpose of the scene (which makes it feel disjointed and makes you feel something is amiss) vs making it the main purpose while also giving the scene the feeling that it belongs even if that event didn't occur (which is how they get you to put your guard down before yanking that rug).

Same reason the Carly (never doug) scene was effective in season 1.

AudioEppa

Should've seen it coming tbh. But I didn't. The absolute most likeable member of that family who hasn't seemed to do anything wrong? Yeah she's fucking gone. I was still quite bummed out. I think it was more the sudden nature of it, and she didn't have a shitload of random exposition like in the show when they want to kill a C tier character for effect. "Hey this person is having a high point in their life and suspiciously walking and turning their back OH AN ARROW IN THEIR EYE" - This was a lot more random and brutal in the way of like Kat in Reach, where it ACTUALLY doesn't seem like the scene is built for that purpose, which is a lot harder. I think that's a tough but subtle difference that is hard to get write. The point of the scene is still to pull the rug out, but it's making that the only purpose of the scene (which makes it feel disjointed and makes you feel something is amiss) vs making it the main purpose while also giving the scene the feeling that it belongs even if that event didn't occur (which is how they get you to put your guard down before yanking that rug).

Same reason the Carly (never doug) scene was effective in season 1.

I got slightly spoiled on her death, but not how it would happen. But even if I wasn't, that moment of happiness when she turns around I would expected a walker was going to bite her.. Didn't see it being a gun shot to the doma. Telltale don't give a fuck lol

Crayons

Banned
I just played through it. The episodes felt short, which was disappointing, but I like Javi as a character.
There's something that irks me about Jane's death in that flashback. Why was suicide the first choice?

This bothered me too. Did no one in the TWD world hear about coat hanger abortions?

robotrock

Banned

The way they did the death feels really gross to me. I'm all for doing whatever you have to do to tell your story, but the way they did this death felt undeserved, at least in this point in the story. It was excessively violent.

TheYanger

The way they did the death feels really gross to me. I'm all for doing whatever you have to do to tell your story, but the way they did this death felt undeserved, at least in this point in the story. It was excessively violent.

As opposed to?

A gunshot to the head is pretty fucking violent, you are correct. But so is every other death in these games short of her taking some pills and overdosing or something.

Not su8re what you mean by unearned either, the whole point of having a 'shocking' death is that you don't think the character deserved it, and if you mean unearned like you didn't care about her...agree to disagree? clearly a lot of us managed to get attached enough to her.

robotrock

Banned
As opposed to?

A gunshot to the head is pretty fucking violent, you are correct. But so is every other death in these games short of her taking some pills and overdosing or something.

Not su8re what you mean by unearned either, the whole point of having a 'shocking' death is that you don't think the character deserved it, and if you mean unearned like you didn't care about her...agree to disagree? clearly a lot of us managed to get attached enough to her.

I felt pretty horrible after her death, but I think I would have felt pretty bad anyways, even if I didn't see a direct shot of her head getting blasted.

I can't remember if the other seasons of TWD were this bad in regards to the death of children, but I remember Duck's death seeming like it was way more tasteful? This felt exploitative to me.

SURGEdude

I just played through it. The episodes felt short, which was disappointing, but I like Javi as a character.

This bothered me too. Did no one in the TWD world hear about coat hanger abortions?

They felt crazy short when compared to the ones from season 1 I revisited back to back with season 3. Like half as long. Wish I had thought to time them.

And granted some of that has to do with season one's more point and clickiness, but still these feel content light so far. I don't feel like much has happened considering a fair chunk of the whole season we've seen.

Crossing Eden

I mean, getting shot in the back of the head will do that. And the real fucked up part is the relief you feel after the realization that she can't come back because she was shot in the head. :(

Boem

I think they will. But apparently she is gonna be in the tv show so who knows.

*Record scratch*

Wait what?

I hope we get to see Lee.

What, really?

I don't know how I would feel about Lee and Clem being in the show. Also, I don't want to watch Lee die again. I rather see Clem in the comic.

I think we'd only see Lee in a flashback if anything. Clem in the show would likely be older Clementine since the time period of the outbreak is important to her story.

I don't think this is true. I tried googling and nothing comes up except this thread. What's your source?

jryeje29

Just finished playing through both, omfg when Mari was shot I just couldn't believe it, I dropped my controller put my hands on my head and had the Denzel Washington tear fall from my eye. The ending of episode 2 I couldn't believe either, I assumed he was gone day 1. I do miss playing as clementine but I do also really like Javi so far. I can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I love this series from telltale.

I guess this is gunna be used for the Ep 3 thread? Theres no thread, nothing, not even an OT for S3 either.

Ep 3 was better at least.

Episode 3 is the weakest so far to me but still a pretty decent ride I enjoyed it. Also nice to see we got our very first double determinant character good on them!

N7.Angel

Glad most of us bashed Badgers skull in. Fuck that guy.

Yup, fuck him up ^^ David is a pretty good guy it seems, Clem is pretty dumb and selfish there, I hope AJ is dead, don't want to take care of a baby in next episodes.

I admit I wanted to leave without him, David looks ok and reliable but Kate is pretty hot so I'll choose her instead, boys are terrible decision maker...

zeemumu

So I killed both Conrad in Ep 2 and Max in this one. What happens if you let them live?

I assumed Max was going to betray you if you spared him

If you let him live and back him up when you confront Joan he backs up your story but the rest still turn on you and David.

I think the break in between episodes altered the decisions that I would've made. Any emotions that I was feeling during episode 2 were kinda dampened by now so I was finding it kind of difficult to remember who I had the most loyalty to outside of Kate because I remembered that she and Javi were a thing and Clementine because I'm essentially the ghost of her adopted dad possessing Javi, and as a result I'm extremely unlikely to let her and Gabe end up together like the game wants because I hate Gabe. I didn't think the Badger kill was gonna be as brutal as it was, and I'm kinda sad that I upset Paul/Jesus, but at the same time I know that he's got his own canon comic plot going on like Glenn did so it doesn't really matter.

I'm starting to understand the symbolism of Joan's cake vs. the spinach as taking what you want vs. taking what you need, unless that arcade cabinet was necessary.

Manu

It was a good episode, story wise. Definitely felt like a transition episode though. But...

I think I'm done with Telltale/TWD after this season. Each new episode has less interaction than the last. Also, ten minutes into Ep 3 my PS4 crashed, and it never, ever crashes. The previous time it did the same thing was with Ep 2.

zeemumu

Alright, I wasn't expecting to have to talk to Clementine about her first period. That was...awkward. And I picked the choice about Clem saying that she used to have Lee, and she mentioned how she felt like Lee was always with her, guiding her actions, and how it still seems like he's with her. I don't know if that was supposed to lean on the fourth wall as hard as it did. The Jane flashback felt a little weird considering how it's supposed to end. Kinda takes the weight off of the "Jane will remember this" when you know she'll be dead in about a week.

Gabe continues to be the Ben of this season. I mean really, Gabe? You get me stabbed and I let it slide, then I shoot down your crappy plan and you have to go and shit on me for saving you from Conrad? We don't have time for damn rebellious phase, Gabe.

Kate deserved better as well. They just took that entire plot and blew it up. Now the only person in this group who I care survives is Clementine (and maybe Ava but she and David are close so that's gonna be a problem).

Gabe keeps putting everyone in danger

Tripp's just kinda there. He seems like a character that they wanted to make into Kenny but he never does anything horrible (at least not in my playthrough) so I was okay with him up until he got shot.

David screwed it all up and is basically just a bomb waiting to go off on the rest of the group.

Eleanor was apparently ready to sell me out to Joan until Tripp came out as a hostage

Ava's cool but she's probably gonna be a little pissed about me choosing Tripp, and because I'll inevitably have to kill David.

Top Bottom