• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want more Street Fighter on Switch? Ono says to bug Nintendo

Bullet Club

Want more Street Fighter on Switch? Ono says to bug Nintendo

What a trickster

Yoshinori Ono attended EGX recently and had a few things to say about his Street Fighter series during the Q&A portion of his panel (roughly 38:00 in).

In case you forgot (how could you, he carries a Blanka figurine with him wherever he goes!), Ono is a huge Blanka fan, so naturally he was asked about Blanka in Smash by a fan. Ono replied that Sakurai either doesn't know who Blanka is or he hates him, so that's why he hasn't been considered yet. Obviously Ono is saying this in jest, but in all likelihood Street Fighter's representation in Smash Ultimate is probably done.

More importantly, what about Street Fighter representation on Switch at all? Well after being asked about Street Fighter IV/V ports on Switch, Ono stated: "can you go over to the Nintendo booth and maybe just shout that at the VIPs backstage...because they're the ones you need to talk to, not me. Even our previous Nintendo title (Ultra Street Fighter II), Nintendo came to us to and said we want to do something with Street Fighter II, because it's been 25 years since we did something with Nintendo consoles, so mob that booth."

I appreciate Ono's enthusiasm, but hopefully whoever the hell is responsible for bringing more Street Fighter to Switch (both parties) can get it together at some point. A $40 remix of SFII and a collection aren't enough. His next idea for a crossover game though? I can get behind DC versus Capcom. I'd love to see some older school character models for DC characters inline with Marvel Vs. Capcom 1/2/3.

EGX 2019 [Twitch]

Source: Destructoid

Whitesnake

Banned
But we already got every good mainline Street Fighter game with the 30th Anniversary Collection and Ultra II.

Maybe ports of the Street Fighter EX games?

zenspider

Read this and it drove me nuts.
I've already bought Street Fighters on Switch...

Fandom is not free labor. I'm not your "street team". You want Nintendo to moneyhat your efforts? Make a fucking phone call and set up a meeting.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
This is Ono playing his quirky oddball character that carries street fighter toys around. Remember he did that cringy bullshit where he took a picture of everyone at some con holding up a dollar to try and prove to capcok people wanted a new darkstalkers...

Last edited:

Hudo

Is Ono still in charge of Street Fighter? I thought he'd been reassigned after the SFV fiasco.

cireza

I don't see why Nintendo has to be asked anything. Looks like another third party developer that doesn't want to put money on a game for a Nintendo console, and tries to get some money from Nintendo one way or another.

A.Romero

It's another way of saying: "Our game won't cover porting costs so we need a some extra money. Talk to Nintendo!"

How did SFIV and SFII Ultra did?

Probably not so hot (or at least not hot enough).

Caffeine

It's another way of saying: "Our game won't cover porting costs so we need a some extra money. Talk to Nintendo!"

they sitting on a cash pile since console gen started a port is really low cost most of the time they hire some studio to throw some roms in a open source emulator.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If Capcom don't think there's enough demand to make a port/game then how is it at all possible people can generate enough demand for Nintendo to wish to pay Capcom for such a thing? This just says they really don't wanna deal with it at all so they invent an unnecessary middle man for people to pester instead, lol.

Last edited:

A.Romero

they sitting on a cash pile since console gen started a port is really low cost most of the time they hire some studio to throw some roms in a open source emulator.

Well, if it's so cheap and they still expect not to be enough it means that they expect it won't sell at all.

SFIV isn't on Switch, and Ultra SFII was a "smash hit" according to Capcom

Vawn

Banned
Why do they need to pester Nintendo?

Is Nintendo, who is allowing 17 shovelware games onto the Nintendo eShop every week, going to say, "nah, Capcom, we just don't have the room to allow you to bring Street Fighter V to our platform. It may make it harder for our fans to find 'My Mom Hid My Game 3' or 'Sexy Asian Chick Virtual Jigsaw Puzzle'"?

kingbean

SSF4 on 3ds sold really well iirc.

I'd love a version of sf4 on switch.

But we got 3rd strike already so that's fun.

Last edited:

A.Romero

SFIV isn't on Switch, and Ultra SFII was a "smash hit" according to Capcom

I meant SFIV for 3DS...

I don't get why Capcom wouldn't want to port if they did well...

Naw, we got all the best Street Fighter games in one package on the Switch already.

Street-Fighter-30th-Anniversary-Collection

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
I don't necessarily want "more." I want "good" Street Fighter.

If the next SF game is like 4 and 5 and looks like B tier trash that would run on a tablet, I'm writing them off completely.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Can you just port Ultra IV? I'd love to play a portable Street Fighter without cardboard people in the background.

KiteGr

Naw, we got all the best Street Fighter games in one package on the Switch already.

Street-Fighter-30th-Anniversary-Collection
Most of them are missing their latests updates.
SF2 doesn't have the the HD remix, nor the Hyper Fighting Edition where you can mix&match the various editions and updates of each character.
SFZ3/SFA3 doesn't have have the MAX edition from the PSP... or most other versions for that mater.
The only one that seems to have the final edition is SF3 that didn't release any significant updates for 3rd strike after it's release, and vanila SF that didn't have any updates at all!

lyan

In addition to Ono it is not just about covering the costs, he has to consider whether such resource could generate more profit to the company if used elsewhere.

yurinka

Just give me SF 4 complete the one we got on ps4 👌🤠👌
Can you just port Ultra IV? I'd love to play a portable Street Fighter without cardboard people in the background.
They should get the last edition of SF4 instead.
Ultra SF 4 is also PS4 console exclusive for this gen, can't be released on Switch.

The deal that made SFV and all its updates (including future possible Arcade Edition, Super, etc.) full (not timed) console exclusive for Sony also stated that USFIV would be PS4 console exclusive this gen, too. In exchange for that, Sony would pay part of SFV development (Capcom wasn't able to release it back then without that because their finantials were in bad shape back then), also would put $500K for SFV eSports prize pools and also would fund, port and publish the PS4 version of USFIV.

I hate it when companies do this. Just put out games or don’t.
It has been a mistake of EB Games, when SFV was announced Capcom very clearly that SFV and all its updates were going to be PlayStation full console exclusive (not timed).

EB Games said that was coming to Switch, and Capcom denied it. EB Games rectified saying that it was their mistake, that they wanted to say that SFV Champion Edition is coming to PS4 but accidentally said Switch instead.

Please Nintendo, don't port Street Fighter 5!
It's a freemium game!
Street Fighter V is not a freemium game, it's a paid game. It has a ton of DLC, most of which you can unlock for free just playing the game, without paying. In addition to this, in this game you get for free all its new game modes, gameplay updtes and mechanics, something that in previous games were locked behind the paywall of a full game payment. I unlocked enough in-game money to buy all the characters of 3 of existing 4 seasons and I'm a pretty bad player that focused more in single player stuff than in online multi, the dedicated and skilled players who tend to play (and win more frequently than me, I won ~45% of the matches) online will likely have collected more in-game money.

And the advertised version to be released next month, Street Fighter V Champion Edition, it's some sort of a "complete edition" that includes like 99% of the DLC published until next month (and seems they won't add more but they didn't confirm it): all DLC characters, stages, colors, musics, player profile icons and themes, over 200 costumes... only the Redbull promotional costumes, the Capcom Pro Tour DLC (its revenue goes to fund SFV eSports prize pools) and a few costumes that are only unlocked in a game mode and can't be bought with real money.

SFVCE will cost $30 as a full game, but for existing players who already have SFV or SFV Arcade Edition there is already available a $25 SFVCE upgrade kit that includes all that DLC content worth hundreds of dollars. That content even includes Seth, a character that will be released next month with SFVCE. Players who don't want to buy that upgrade kit will be also able to buy or unlock Seth as they did with previous characters.

They are also working on an ambitious Tournament Mode for the game, that like any other previous game modes released post launch it will be released for free to all players from all 3 editions.

Here you have the list of Capcom games that sold over a million copies:

Ultra Street Fighter II had good sales for what it was and considering it was released on the early stage of a console, but didn't manage to sell a million copies.

SFIV sold 9.1M if we combine all its SKUs and all its versions: SFIV vanilla 3.4M copies, Super SFIV 1.9M, Super SFIV 3D 1.3M, Super SFIV Arcade Edition 1.1M, Ultra SFIV 1.4M.

SF 30th Anniversary Collection (released multi, everywhere) sold 1M copies.

Released in 2016, as of the end of September Street Fighter V sold 3.9M copies, 800K+ of them in the period that goes from March to November of 2019 (and also sold a ton of DLC). In a week or so Capcom should publish their last quarter number and SFV would go beyond 4.1 becoming the 2nd best selling Street Fighter SKU ever and becoming one of the top 10 best selling Capcom games ever.

But a SFV vs SFIV comparision isn't fair because SFIV has been almost 11 years in the market and in many platforms, while SFV has been almost 4 years in the market for only 2 platforms and still is selling (and well, instead of requiring you to buy an updated version they release the new stuff as dlc, some free, some paid and some paid or unlockable, releasing later updated versions of the game that literally are the base game bundled with existing DLC).

SFV had somewhat weak sales at the start but has legs and is selling very well considering it's a 4 years old game. It's because it launched with several important issues and lacked content, but over time they solved all these issues and added a ton of post launch content frequently covering all these missing things and keeping the game fresh all these days. The only remaining important issue is a netcode synchronization issue, that a PC modder partly solved recently, but Capcom is now their own fix that would cover also the PS4 version.

Last edited:

fatty

yurinka yurinka , nice write up. Appreciate the time you put into that, I found it to be very informative and deserved more than just a 'like' on my end.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Lol this has been the typical response from Capcom this whole Switch gen.

"Ask Nintendo for something it should be on us"

I don't see why they should fund Capcom's old ports, and frankly i don't like the attitude.

Capcom has lost me as a consumer on Switch from the day they started with the "if this boring re-release sells well on Switch, we'll do more" crap. We'll see you once you have actual plans for new releases.

Alexios

I thought I wanted it on the switch, but that joycon dpad is straight garbage. brap brap is correct when he said switch is a special Boi.
All standard console (and PC) controllers are garbage for SF, a little more or a little less makes no difference when it's still garbage (sure, you can learn to play with garbage, same on Switch, or with a dance pad like some, lol).

Thankfully they all have both suitable 6 face button gamepads like Hori's Fighting Commander or 8bitdo's M30 and actual arcade sticks, low end budget friendly like Hori's Mini or high end like their more expensive Hayabusa.

Last edited:

yurinka

I thought I wanted it on the switch, but that joycon dpad is straight garbage. brap brap is correct when he said switch is a special Boi.
I use a modded arcade stick for fighting games, I put a Brook UFB board in a PS3 Madcatz I had and now it's universal: works in all current and past gen consoles (including Switch) and PC, and has the lowest input lag in the market.

In PS4 sometimes I use DS4, but normally I use that stick everywhere.

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

Tbh. Not having SF4 on that street fighter collection game even tho every other platform had it but still asking for the same price or even more because of cart-fee is nothing I have to ask Nintendo about.

It's not like Nintendo needs to greenlight a Streetfighter game on it's system. Dafuq is he saying. idiot...

Also scammer for the missing SF4 game. While having the engine already running in that SF2 Game as a first person mode....

Alexios

Huh? Why would a SFII collection include SF4, on any system? Edit: oh you mean the SF 30th Anniversary collection that came later on all systems. I don't see SFIV included on any of the versions' store pages? It was a preorder bonus copy of the game on platforms with a port of the game and not integrated in the collection.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Street Fighter V is not a freemium game, it's a paid game. It has a ton of DLC, most of which you can unlock for free just playing the game, without paying. In addition to this, in this game you get for free all its new game modes, gameplay updtes and mechanics, something that in previous games were locked behind the paywall of a full game payment. I unlocked enough in-game money to buy all the characters of 3 of existing 4 seasons and I'm a pretty bad player that focused more in single player stuff than in online multi, the dedicated and skilled players who tend to play (and win more frequently than me, I won ~45% of the matches) online will likely have collected more in-game money.
I've bought it near launch and sold it within a week.

It's worse than freemium. It's a game you paid full price to buy, and found freemium practices in it. From excessive grind to get the fake currency, to the paywalls. Only pros and no-lifers can win the fake currency on a amount to get constently the new characters, and these are often the same pros that do the YouTube videos and have no issues with the system. They give you at first ton of fake currency as one time rewards for doing very easy stuff, like beating the character stories, that progressively becomes harder and harder and once that depletes, you've entered the grind-or-pay zone. Ad in-game advertising and you have the freemium model.

I prefer to playing casually in couch matches on the same skill level as my friends. If I bust my ass online to unlock 75% of the content, we wouldn't be on the same level, would we.

Regardless, my buyers remorse is through the roof on that game because of the censorship before, during and after it's release. I don't know why, but the tiniest change I notice that makes a game more mild make me unable to buy it. And don't play fighting games on PC, so can't get it there to decensore it later ether. Shame, cause that champion edition looked like a solid deal.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I use a modded arcade stick for fighting games, I put a Brook UFB board in a PS3 Madcatz I had and now it's universal: works in all current and past gen consoles (including Switch) and PC, and has the lowest input lag in the market.

In PS4 sometimes I use DS4, but normally I use that stick everywhere.
Weird flex, but ok.

yurinka

Huh? Why would a SFII collection include SF4, on any system? Edit: oh you mean the SF 30th Anniversary collection that came later on all systems. I don't see SFIV included on any of the versions' store pages? It was a preorder bonus copy of the game on platforms with a port of the game and not integrated in the collection.
Yep, SF 30th Anniversary Collection included many games, some of them SFII games, but others like SFI, SFIII games or SF Alpha games. As you mention, as bonus (but not in Switch) it also included USFIV, but as separate game not included inside the collection SKU itself.

Basically the games included in that collection are the main SF 2D arcade games, those who were also able to be released in all modern consoles considering licensing (SF Movie games) or current console exclusivity (USFIV, SFV).

VertigoOA

Banned
SFv a freemium game? Lol. Clueless gamers.

Let’s go back to full priced yearly versions please. These dumbasses don’t know how good we have it now.

Top Bottom