• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to see Tokyo Xanadu localized? Tell XSEED we can Xanadu.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
sörine;176901431 said:
Given known sales, the most advantageous port for Xseed would be PC.

Most likely, but this would require Falcom to invest in building their PC team back up to build the port in house, or farm it out to another firm as the Chinese editions of their games were doing some years ago. Since XSEED doesn't have the manpower to port, they'd either need to invest money they very likely don't have building a team which could port games to other platforms, or hope Falcom gets the message.

And I really hope Falcom gets that message.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is the highest profile Vita game coming out anytime soon. PLEASE LOCALIZE THIS XSEED!

I am worried cause i thought it was a lock, but apparently not!?

I would not mind a PS4 port, but i dont even know if that's possible any time soon if ever

Shizuka

PehglBE.gif

sörine

Banned
Most likely, but this would require Falcom to invest in building their PC team back up to build the port in house, or farm it out to another firm as the Chinese editions of their games were doing some years ago. Since XSEED doesn't have the manpower to port, they'd either need to invest money they very likely don't have building a team which could port games to other platforms, or hope Falcom gets the message.

And I really hope Falcom gets that message.
I totally agree, but given the Steam performances I have to wonder if it also doesn't behoove Xseed to start investigating funding PC conversions directly. I guess it might depend on their arrangements and level of commitment to Falcom properties going forward. Their PC well will run dry pretty soon.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
sörine;176904581 said:
I totally agree, but given the Steam performances I have to wonder if it also doesn't behoove Xseed to start investigating funding PC conversions directly. I guess it might depend on their arrangements and level of commitment to Falcom properties going forward. Their PC well will run dry pretty soon.

Indeed! I wish to see progress made on that front sooner rather than later - I'd even thrown out the idea of XSEED beefing up their port staff in-house earlier this month after they announced the delay of Trails SC. But of course, it's all much easier said than done. I just wish that we knew that Falcom/XSEED would be able to (or willing to) invest in the PC space more than they can at the moment. The longer it takes to get rolling, the further they'll both fall behind.

Falcom's rolling in money, but setting up an ad-hoc or stable PC porting team requires personnel, and they're not a McLargeHuge company (though Falcom's expanded lately). It's gonna take a while before they can feel comfortable doing PC conversions for a demanding overseas audience, all while juggling their other projects. And XSEED employees have commented before that keeping their crew small and organized matters more than bloating up for short-term gain.

Yeah, their PC sales have been abysmal this year. I would blame the timing of the releases for that though, too close to summer sales.

Yeah, their PC sales have been abysmal this year. I would blame the timing of the releases for that though, too close to summer sales.

For a game even more niche than their Falcom games, Akiba's Trip is probably about where it should be around now. Ys on the other hand is likely still because of when it released (right in the middle of a huge Star Wars sale, which pushed any new releases off the face of the earth) and they just haven't been able to grab peoples attention since then.

For a game even more niche than their Falcom games, Akiba's Trip is probably about where it should be around now. Ys on the other hand is likely still because of when it released (right in the middle of a huge Star Wars sale, which pushed any new releases off the face of the earth) and they just haven't been able to grab peoples attention since then.

True, even being 50% off during the recent Humble anime sale didn't boost sales significantly. :(

Akiba's Trip is also a bad game. Those aren't really abysmal sales for its 30th release. And I doubt it did all that much better on other platforms.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Falcom's rolling in money, but setting up an ad-hoc or stable PC porting team requires personnel, and they're not a McLargeHuge company (though Falcom's expanded lately). It's gonna take a while before they can feel comfortable doing PC conversions for a demanding overseas audience, all while juggling their other projects. And XSEED employees have commented before that keeping their crew small and organized matters more than bloating up for short-term gain.

Well, it could be long-term gain. PC as a platform isn't going anywhere, unlike the PSP or other starved/dying platforms they've supported over the years out of passion for just seeing a game get localized. By having staff on-hand to take care of that highly demanding audience, they could release more frequently and pull from their roster of series' that have yet to touch the PC platform.

Second Chapter has run into so many bugs that it might qualify as one of the plagues. Corpse Party's PC cadaver has been quietly stuffed into a window seat so Sara can re-write the entire game from scratch. Projects are getting pushed way back because they are just that understaffed on the PC. The rest of their departments are doing fine - just look at the absolutely massive roster of titles they have released this year and are still on track to release! But if the company wants to continue a relationship with PC gamers, relying on Chinese port jobs or hoping every JP company they do business with is going to do the port themselves might not benefit them in the long run.

Quality of the games themselves aside, Idea Factory Int. has taken to the PC with admirable support. This year alone, they've released 4 titles for the platform with at least one more known in the pipeline. Each release has had open invites for the public to beta test the software and most game breaking issues were taken care of rather quickly. On the flip side, XSEED has put out two games this year, with a third possibly getting pushed into 2016.

Someone at IF got the ball rolling on making PC a priority platform, and it appears it was the western branch which decided to go for it. Falcom deals with the Japanese market, where PC ports aren't in high demand. XSEED, however, is the western publisher, and that's where the PC demand is. There are business realities I'm unaware of no doubt, the kind that would obviously put the red tape around such an expansion. But XSEED's been producing for the PC since 2012 and I'd like to think that by now they'd be putting some serious thought into expanding to better handle the platform.

Akiba's Trip is also a bad game. Those aren't really abysmal sales for its 30th release. And I doubt it did all that much better on other platforms.

If Siliconera's numbers are anything to go by, Akiba's Trip sold 87,182 copies at launch week between the Vita and PS3 versions in Japan. 20,000 of those came from the PS3 version, putting the PC version ahead by 3,000 sales. And that's keeping in mind that people were holding out on buying it because it launched so close to a Steam sale. The PS4 version only managed to sell a paltry 3,600 copies at launch.

The numbers won't tell us the whole story, but the game performed on par with the other target platforms, and will probably do better once future sale discounts come along.

Shizuka

This topic is about XSEED bringing Tokyo Xanadu for the West on Vita, still you guys are talking about PC? Other way around, I doubt we'd be allowed to have this conversation.

Yasumi

Banned
I'd say it's pretty well on topic, since it's about half of the topic's conversation.

Don't worry, if it comes to PC, it won't take your Vita version away.
Continuing to derail a topic that had previously been dragged into off-topic port begging doesn't make it on-topic.

Sometimes you need to buy a system to play its exclusives.

mejin

Falcom games would sell on PS4. Other developers already announced jrpgs for the platform, so it's clear there is a plan for the genre on the platform. I just hope they are not too late to understand this. YS is taking too long and they could already made all games PS4/Vita like other developers.

Prelude.

I'd say it's pretty well on topic, since it's about half of the topic's conversation.
Just because you derailed the thread it doesn't mean it became on topic. There's a reason why portbegging isn't allowed, you know? I'm pretty sure this thread isn't about gamefaqs-level armchair analysis of where they should port their games because they don't know any better. If you want to play this, buy a Vita or wait until it actually gets announced for another platform.

Falcom games would sell on PS4. Other developers already announced jrpgs for the platform, so it's clear there is a plan for the genre on the platform. I just hope they are not too late to understand this. YS is taking too long and they could already made all games PS4/Vita like other developers.
"Vita games don't sell so they should port them on my platform of choice."
Publisher: "Uh, no, our games are actually selling well on Vita."
"B-b-but it'll sell more on my platform of choice because reasons!!"

Marow

Not really.
9q3gN8H.jpg

2015 seems like a bad year for most indies and small publishers.
I'd say it's understandable for those numbers so far.

- Akiba's Trip is niche
- A lot of negative impressions when port details came about
- The port has issues
- The whole GTX970 debacle

I'd argue it's done well considering the price it hasn't dropped and it hasn't even been six months.

- Ys VI released at a terrible time
- It also released with little to no fanfare
- Hasn't dropped a lot in price yet
- When Ys was featured in, say, the Steam Summer Sale it wasn't VI on the front page - it was one of the other titles

I'd partly blame poor marketing.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Yeah, I'm surprised that it's up in the air. Maybe this game isn't perverted enough for XSEED.

Gosh, maybe that's it! Maybe that's why I tweeted that, even though that's totally not what I wrote in the post that already explained that the tweets means nothing at all. Because STORY OF SEASONS, Earth Dafense Force 2, Earth Defense Force 4.1, Brandish, Ys VI, Corpse Party, Return to PopoloCrois, Lord of Magna, Trails in the Sky SC, Trails of Cold Steel, and Trails of Cold Steel II just weren't perverted enough for our company. That's all we do, you see. There's a certain bar of depravity that needs to be reached or it just isn't good enough to localize in our books.

Man, you do one series that sells and it's like none of the other games in your lineup for the year even matter. Yes, we have the parody game Akiba's Trip, and Onechanbara is more of the over-the-top sex, blood, and gore variety, but we all know which one everyone likes to point out the most. For all the people on here love to gripe about SENRAN KAGURA's existence, though, they sure can't seem to get it off their brains enough to think about the vast majority of what we bring over.

And no, this isn't pointed at you directly, but it is unbelievably annoying to see these kinds of posts constantly when we bring over a pretty damn healthy assortment of games. And no, this isn't about sparking an argument about the content of SK or anything else--it's purely pointing out that this idea that we only do fanservice games is stupid, and it can easily be proven just by our lineup from this year alone.

Gosh, maybe that's it! Maybe that's why I tweeted that, even though that's totally not what I wrote in the post that already explained that the tweets means nothing at all. Because STORY OF SEASONS, Earth Dafense Force 2, Earth Defense Force 4.1, Brandish, Ys VI, Corpse Party, Return to PopoloCrois, Lord of Magna, Trails in the Sky SC, Trails of Cold Steel, and Trails of Cold Steel II just weren't perverted enough for our company. That's all we do, you see. There's a certain bar of depravity that needs to be reached or it just isn't good enough to localize in our books.

Man, you do one series that sells and it's like none of the other games in your lineup for the year even matter. Yes, we have the parody game Akiba's Trip, and Onechanbara is more of the over-the-top sex, blood, and gore variety, but we all know which one everyone likes to point out the most. For all the people on here love to gripe about SENRAN KAGURA's existence, though, they sure can't seem to get it off their brains enough to think about the vast majority of what we bring over.

And no, this isn't pointed at you directly, but it is unbelievably annoying to see these kinds of posts constantly when we bring over a pretty damn healthy assortment of games. And no, this isn't about sparking an argument about the content of SK or anything else--it's purely pointing out that this idea that we only do fanservice games is stupid, and it can easily be proven just by our lineup from this year alone.

Don't let it get to you. People just have shit taste and much of the rest don't put money where their mouths are.

As for me, I know that yall are in that situation and sympathize given the situation (as much as I eye-rolled at TX's banal idol stuff in that other thread given its of the same situation and all) .

Napishtim was cool (I think people slag on it due to playing Oath and Origins, but it ain't far off).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My interest in this game has risen signficantly after playing Cold Steel. It looks like it borrows a lot from that game (Blade included!)

8MZjWgj.jpg

Edit: Woops, meant to post this in the import OT... although this works too I suppose?

Cqef

My interest in this game has risen signficantly after playing Cold Steel. It looks like it borrows a lot from that game (Blade included!)

8MZjWgj.jpg

Edit: Woops, meant to post this in the import OT... although this works too I suppose?

Blade goes back way farther actually. The first game which had a Blade minigame was the original Brandish (1991), and since then it came back in some of their other games like the Brandish sequels for instance, but no game had it between Brandish 4 (1998) and the Brandish remake on the PSP (2009) if I'm not mistaken. I don't think any Sora no Kiseki had Blade (FC and SC didn't at least but maybe the 3rd?), but pretty sure it came back regularly with/since Zero no Kiseki.

I like Blade a lot, if Falcom made it a standalone game on mobile or something with multiplayer and stuff, it would be soooo sick :V

Top Bottom