• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: GOP congressman Rohrabacher plans Russia trip to ‘work with the Duma’

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), an ally of President-elect Donald Trump and longtime enthusiast of Russian president Vladimir Putin, said Wednesday that he is planning to lead a congressional delegation to Russia next month and expects to meet with Russian officials to discuss “how we can work with the Duma.”

“We’re going to look at certain goals we can set with our Congress and the Duma,” the Russian legislature, Rohrabacher said in an interview. “What could we actually set in the legislature of Russia and in Congress? Could we work together, for example, and cooperate on space activities?”

Rohrabacher went on to list the rise of the Islamic State and President Obama’s latest round of sanctions against Russia as additional agenda items that he expects to come up during the talks in Moscow.

Rohrabacher, a former White House speechwriter for Ronald Reagan who represents Orange County, said Russian leaders are eager to meet with U.S. lawmakers to talk directly about the sanctions and many other lingering political tensions.

“We’ll go within a month of the inaugural,” the lawmaker said of the timing. “It’s going to be an official trip of my subcommittee.”

Rohrabacher, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia and Emerging Threats, was coy when asked whether his group would meet with Putin.

“I really can’t say that,” he said after a pause and a half-smile. “It’s possible.”
“We’ll see who can come,” he said. “I’ll bring some people with me who seem antagonistic toward having better relations. We’ll put them together, sit down with some people in Russia who can talk to them, person to person, and start to have a real dialogue instead of screaming epithets at each other.”

Rohrabacher said he was not working with Trump’s transition team on the trip but acknowledged that he is close to many Trump advisers — and said that he was under consideration for several positions in the administration, including at the State Department. He said he does not expect Trump to oppose “the CODEL [congressional trip] I’m putting together.”

Rohrabacher’s trip, however, could hit a snag if Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.), the Foreign Affairs Committee chairman, does not approve the subcommittee’s travel arrangements.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sman-plans-russia-trip-to-work-with-the-duma/

studyguy

Oh good, in my state. Time to make some fucking calls.
I'd encourage anyone in the state to do the same.

101 Main Street, Suite 380
Huntington Beach, CA 92648.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Phone: (714) 960-6483

Kurdel

Banned
Rohrabacher, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia and Emerging Threats, was coy when asked whether his group would meet with Putin.

“I really can’t say that,” he said after a pause and a half-smile. “It’s possible

Dude can barely hide how wet he is and can't wait to hop on that dick

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
200w.gif

So y'all have always been friends with Russia? I could have sworn that wasn't the case, but you know what, let me check my history books. Hmm...nope it's says here "we have always been on good terms with Russia." I must have forgotten or something, huh.

FStop7

Banned
WTF? Congress has no treaty power. When Nancy Pelosi went to the middle east during the Bush years the GOP lost its fucking mind.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I can imagine that the Republicans that do want more sanctions are pretty much seething with rage at this, because this shit is gonna come back to them eventually. Maybe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
200w.gif

So y'all have always been friends with Russia? I could have sworn that wasn't the case, but you know what, let me check my history books. Hmm...nope it's says here "we have always been on good terms with Russia." I must have forgotten or something, huh.

This dude would literally suck Putin's dick, on camera, if asked. Dude would volunteer.

200w.gif

Russia has always been greatest ally, comrade.

I don't think they ran a strong candidate against him this election.

I could totally see the tables flipping next round on Rohrabacher.

Horns

Oh good, in my state. Time to make some fucking calls.
I'd encourage anyone in the state to do the same.

101 Main Street, Suite 380
Huntington Beach, CA 92648.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Phone: (714) 960-6483

Already called to file a complaint. Others should join in. Surprisingly a person answers the phone.

mo60

I don't think they ran a strong candidate against him this election.

I could totally see the tables flipping next round on Rohrabacher.

Yep. Since the county that got him elected is going to stay blue on the presidential level for a few decades probably.

bionic77

Everything I learned from 80s movies is coming true (i.e. Red Dawn, Running Man, etc).

I hope this shit is as fun to live through as it was to watch in the movie theater...

LakeEarth

This dude would literally suck Putin's dick, on camera, if asked. Dude would volunteer.

It's like the first episode of Black Mirror, just instead of a pig it's Putin, and instead of trying to avoid it, he pushes the press conference up to 9:30am.

Strike

This isn't the popcorn guy?

/s

I remember this nut. He occasionally appears on Bill Maher. That episode he was on with Lisa Kennedy Montgomery is still probably the worst one I've ever watched.

Amalthea

Banned
Everything I learned from 80s movies is coming true (i.e. Red Dawn, Running Man, etc).
It's fascinating to see how little flag waving patriotism is employed by the Pubes nowadays compared to the past. Maybe a hollow slogan like MAGA wich is/was mainly a Trump thing only. It's like they completely sold out just to get power and fuck things up. I mean even more than they already did.
"Work with the Duma" should correctly be "Recieving orders from the Duma". lol

Calling is okay, but reasoning with Rohrabacher is less possible than reasoning with The Joker.

Hillary won his district so try to help the candidate that runs against him in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom