• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador

rjinaz

Going from "Leakers are the servants of Satan!" to "Leak more stuff" is interesting in and of itself.

Yeah I suppose so. I took it more like "Stop pussyfooting. Prove it or shut it" but you're right, it's better than just a straight out dismissal.

Monocle

☐ Not rekt

☑ Rekt

☑ Really Rekt

☑ Tyrannosaurus Rekt

☑ Homo Erektus

☑ Brektfast at Tiffany's

☑ I Came in Like a Rekting Ball

Surfinn

Just woke up.

Wait, Trump tweeted that he has the power to pardon (BUT LET'S NOT THINK ABOUT THAT EVEN THOUGH I BROUGHT IT UP COMPLETELY RANDOMLY), then proceeds to imply that his admin will have charges filed against them?

After essentially confirming that Sessions talked about the campaign with Kislyak?

Well.

SeeThree

WHAT THE FUCK.

This @ChuckGrassley guy cancelled Wednesday's Don Jr and Manafort televised testimony.

Instead they will do a live investigation about the people that paid for the Steele dossier.
This was on Maddow last night. They are going to "pin" the Trump Russia story on Democrats and Hillary Clinton.

I don't get it. What is this? I doesn't even make any sense.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show
It starts at 18:26

WHAT THE FUCK.

This @ChuckGrassley guy cancelled Wednesday's Don Jr and Manafort televised testimony.

Instead they will do a live investigation about the people that paid for the Steele dossier.
This was on Maddow last night. They are going to "pin" the Trump Russia story on Democrats and Hillary Clinton.

it was cancelled because the lawyers for trump jr and manafort reached a deal to provide documents and testify in a private hearing earlier than wednesday.

rjinaz

WHAT THE FUCK.

Full steam ahead with "the leaks are the crimes, not the actual crimes".

I really don't think most of America is going to fall for "this is Clinton's fault" anymore. The Trump base will of course, because they are either stupid or just don't care.

Good luck Republicans. You could probably still turn things around, act like you are the party of decency that will do what's right in the end, and most Americans would love you for it and forget about all that has transpired to this point. Your party would remain strong. But you're just going to embrace the lies, corruption, and the stupidity.

Can't say it's a shame.

Full steam ahead with "the leaks are the crimes, not the actual crimes".

I really don't think most of America is going to fall for "this is Clinton's fault" anymore. The Trump base will of course, because they are either stupid or just don't care.

Good luck Republicans. You could probably still turn things around, act like you are the party of decency that will do what's right in the end, and most Americans would love you for it and forget about all that has transpired to this point. Your party would remain strong. But you're just going to embrace the lies, corruption, and the stupidity.

Can't say it's a shame.

It's ok because they are never punished for the fucked up stuff they do.

rokkerkory

WHAT THE FUCK.

Makes perfect sense if GOP wants to deflect still

rjinaz

It's ok because they are never punished for the fucked up stuff they do.

I know it seems that way, because we're in this moment, but I don't think that's what happens. Trump is an embarrassment the likes of which this country has ever known. He is bringing down the party with him and they are not only letting it happen, they are holding firm to Trump as he sinks. The people are fickle. When things don't seem to be changing they look elsewhere. The Trump fatigue of this nation has to already be reaching a breaking point for most, another 3 years and people will be going insane.

I know it seems that way, because we're in this moment, but I don't think that's what happens. Trump is an embarrassment the likes of which this country has ever known. He is bringing down the party with him and they are not only letting it happen, they are holding firm to Trump as he sinks. The people are fickle. When things don't seem to be changing they look elsewhere. The Trump fatigue of this nation has to already be reaching a breaking point for most, another 3 years and people will be going insane.

Sure a Democrat might become president again, but 4-8 years later after a good Democrat president people will forget and elect another piece of shit again.

WHAT THE FUCK.

I actually don't completely agree with Maddow's analysis here. We need to see where the negotiation with Manafort and Jr. ends up going. The fact that they were able to get documents from them is significant and I would assume that even the Democrats on the committee would prefer having time to pour over those documents before a public hearing happened.

The hearings are theatre, useful in their own way, but theatre nonetheless. Documents are what matter here. Using the leverage they have to get documents while still withholding the right to subpoena at a later date isn't a bad thing.

Also, there is a substantive reason to have FusionGPS give testimony. They are a part of this story. Grassley and Feinstein have been working together pretty well. Grassley actually has played hardball to get both Comey and Sessions to appear before the committee. I would hold back on reflexively attacking him here.

how not to use twitter 101. he sounds like an idiot

Go look at his post history. It's all gobbledygook. That one is actually pretty good, grading on his curve.

rjinaz

Is that what makes America great? Chaos?
Because the only ones that seem to be benefiting from it are the media.

I think many Trump supporters feel they are in a position to survive the chaos. Those that aren't are the same kind that want Obamacare repealed despite needing to be on it. Those people just aren't thinkers but are guided by hate. The others though, they think chaos will bring change that will make America more how they want it to be. Usually more privilege for them is the largest motivator.

SeeThree

Also, there is a substantive reason to have FusionGPS give testimony. They are a part of this story.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/21/co-founder-firm-behind-trump-russia-dossier-to-plead-fifth.html

So they are saying Fusion GPS is anti-Trump but pro-Russia and has ties to the Russian lawyer and the Donald Jr. meeting was a sting?

The Foxnews comments are amazing. These people are saying Putin wanted Hillary Clinton to win? Are you fucking kidding me? Hillary was gonna undue the Magnitsky Act for Russia? I didn't even know this stupid theory existed.

Gutek

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/21/co-founder-firm-behind-trump-russia-dossier-to-plead-fifth.html

So they are saying Fusion GPS is anti-Trump but pro-Russia and has ties to the Russian lawyer and the Donald Jr. meeting was a sting?

The Foxnews comments are amazing. These people are saying Putin wanted Hillary Clinton to win? Are you fucking kidding me? Hillary was gonna undue the Magnitsky Act for Russia? I didn't even know this stupid theory existed.

That's why Trump will do 8 years. 60% of Americans are stupid ass motherfuckers.

rjinaz

Sure a Democrat might become president again, but 4-8 years later after a good Democrat president people will forget and elect another piece of shit again.

I don't think the Republican party is going anywhere, it really can't, but I do think as a result of Trump and their decisions, they are going to have to start going back to the center to try and appeal to the majority of voters as opposed to the extremists. We can't forget that despite Trump winning, more people voted for a Democrat president. After Trump I just don't see how the Republicans can win the presidency against the numbers especially if a scandal is proven. But that's on a presidential level. I'm not sure how things pan out for congress. Hopefully we see the same kind of shifts. It's all we can hope for really.

Yeah I suppose so. I took it more like "Stop pussyfooting. Prove it or shut it" but you're right, it's better than just a straight out dismissal.

Grassley is scaring me lately. I wish he'd just come out and put his foot down with veiled threats and dismissals like Burr does.

No but it upsets the libtard cucks and that is all that matters.

^^^

I don't think the Republican party is going anywhere, it really can't, but I do think as a result of Trump and their decisions, they are going to have to start going back to the center to try and appeal to the majority of voters as opposed to the extremists. We can't forget that despite Trump winning, more people voted for a Democrat president. After Trump I just don't see how the Republicans can win the presidency against the numbers especially if a scandal is proven. But that's on a presidential level. I'm not sure how things pan out for congress. Hopefully we see the same kind of shifts. It's all we can hope for really.

America canNOT take a GOP that would not suffer heinously in elections and come to Jesus over this. If this becomes a "wow, that was close, amirite? Who wants to talk shit and obstruct Dem-led congress for still investigating Pres. Pence/Ryan?!?" Then it leaves the door wide-ass open for other weakman demagogues.

The Russian collusion MUST be purged, they MUST stop being the Party of No, they MUST be the party of personal responsibility again, an MUST move to at least the moderate wing's position on issues and drop the ratchet game. Being passive and never learning how to govern is not enough and we'll be right back in a similar shitshow next decade.

Kusagari

I read Grassley's plea as him wanting everything out immediately instead of these drips.

And why does he want everything out immediately? Because he's well aware that what happens with these drips is Trump and company saying one thing and then more drips completely contradicting them.

He wants the whole thing out immediately because that's better than Trump and his cohorts bumbling through more lies.

I actually don't completely agree with Maddow's analysis here. We need to see where the negotiation with Manafort and Jr. ends up going. The fact that they were able to get documents from them is significant and I would assume that even the Democrats on the committee would prefer having time to pour over those documents before a public hearing happened.

The hearings are theatre, useful in their own way, but theatre nonetheless. Documents are what matter here. Using the leverage they have to get documents while still withholding the right to subpoena at a later date isn't a bad thing.

Also, there is a substantive reason to have FusionGPS give testimony. They are a part of this story. Grassley and Feinstein have been working together pretty well. Grassley actually has played hardball to get both Comey and Sessions to appear before the committee. I would hold back on reflexively attacking him here.

Go look at his post history. It's all gobbledygook. That one is actually pretty good, grading on his curve.

On what planet will Don Jr. Or manafort turn over anything meaningful? There is basically a 0% chance

It was better for their testimony to be public because then it's easier for leaks to come out to contradict it and prove they lied. Not having it public makes it easier for them to lie. They won't be under oath anyway though.

On what planet will Don Jr. Or manafort turn over anything meaningful? There is basically a 0% chance

We are talking about the same Don Jr. who willingly tweeted out an unbelievably damning email chain, right? Jr. did that because the NYT had leverage over him and forced his hand. The Committee has similar leverage over them now. They are holding the threat of a public hearing over their heads to get results. Grassley and Feinstein are playing good cop/bad cop here.

So yeah, I would put the odds that useful documents are produced somewhere north of your 0%.

rjinaz

Grassley is scaring me lately. I wish he'd just come out and put his foot down with veiled threats and dismissals like Burr does.

^^^

America canNOT take a GOP that would not suffer heinously in elections and come to Jesus over this. If this becomes a "wow, that was close, amirite? Who wants to talk shit and obstruct Dem-led congress for still investigating Pres. Pence/Ryan?!?" Then it leaves the door wide-ass open for other weakman demagogues.

The Russian collusion MUST be purged, they MUST stop being the Party of No, they MUST be the party of personal responsibility again, an MUST move to at least the moderate wing's position on issues and drop the ratchet game. Being passive and never learning how to govern is not enough and we'll be right back in a similar shitshow next decade.

I think if more actual Republicans felt this way, and not what Democrats or Independents want them to be like, well it would speak well for the party and its future and frankly America. I don't know if you are a Republican, but I know there are some on this board that feel that way and there are some more prominent people like McMullin and even Schwarzenegger that are taking the stance of "we have to do better folks".

I read Grassley's plea as him wanting everything out immediately instead of these drips.

And why does he want everything out immediately? Because he's well aware that what happens with these drips is Trump and company saying one thing and then more drips completely contradicting them.

He wants the whole thing out immediately because that's better than Trump and his cohorts bumbling through more lies.

I dunno. He doesn't know as much as the Gang of 8 and the Intel committees know, but that's not exactly the way to ask for it (like he did in Feb). That's what scares me; it's reckless and can be taken many ways, some very bad.

I think if more actual Republicans felt this way, and not what Democrats or Independents want them to be like, well it would speak well for the party and its future and frankly America. I don't know if you are a Republican, but I know there are some on this board that feel that way and there are some more prominent people like McMullin and even Schwarzenegger that are taking the stance of "we have to do better folks".

Was. Left the party after it became the Party of No in 2013. I was always a Rockefeller Republican pretty much and I've only leaned leftward and the party gotten worse since. There's been multiple times they've had soul searching and dove rightward every time into identity politics (to put it at its mildest form), anti-intellectualism, and amorality.

Thing is, we need a right-leaning counterbalance for this country in my view, or at least a "this Dem is an idiot get them out of here" *votes for a GOP contender* for a threat. Having everyone on the right side of the American political spectrum be in danger of supporting demagogues, morons, and russian agents is not a good place even in a D/D/D, 30+ states controlled government in the near-future.

Top Bottom