• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: State Dept: Saudis may have provoked crisis with Qatar on false pretenses

The State Department issued an unusual public warning to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday over a diplomatic rift with fellow U.S. ally Qatar, and suggested that the Saudis may have provoked a crisis and drawn in the United States on false pretenses.

“The more that time goes by, the more doubt is raised about the actions taken by Saudi Arabia and the UAE,” Nauert said.

“At this point, we are left with one simple question: Were the actions really about their concerns about Qatar’s alleged support for terrorism, or were they about the long-simmering grievances between and among the GCC countries?”

Tillerson has had more than 20 calls and meetings devoted to helping resolve the crisis, Nauert said, but now sees little further room for U.S. mediation.

But, she said, he wants “results,” and is now saying: “Let’s finish this. Let’s get this going.”

On June 9, Tillerson asked reporters to the State Department to read a prepared statement calling for the blockade to be eased, saying it was causing humanitarian and business hardships, and hindering U.S. military actions against the Islamic State.

The same day, Trump, speaking at a Rose Garden news conference, called the blockade “hard but necessary” and appeared to reinforce his backing for the Saudi view of Qatari culpability.

Last week, Mattis hosted Qatar’s defense minister here to finalize a $12 billion sale of 36 F-16 fighter jets. Two U.S. naval vessels made a port visit to Doha, the Qatari capital, and participated in an unscheduled military exercise with Qatar.

Nauert referred to “alleged” Qatari support for terrorism but would not go into detail at the State Department briefing about whether Trump or Tillerson have changed their minds about the veracity of the Saudi claims.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...294a58-55e9-11e7-a204-ad706461fa4f_story.html

Wasn't this known almost immediately? I thought I remember posters citing news when this first broke that suggested some of the issues other ME states were bitching about weren't actually true.

Steel

Banned
Wasn't this known almost immediately? I thought I remember posters citing news when this first broke that suggested some of the issues other ME states were bitching about weren't actually true.

The IC knew. The state department are now confirming. Takes awhile for facts to trickle into the Trump admin.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Let me fix that for you State Dept.

"...And suggested that the Saudis may have provoked a crisis and drawn in a clueless President on false pretenses."

Countdown until Trump tweets something completely ignoring this, contradicts the State Department/Tillerson once again and tosses some more praise KSA's way?

Codeblue

Countdown until Trump completely ignores this, contradicts the State Department/Tillerson once gain and tosses some more praise KSA's way?

If he ever notices, the Saudis can just dangle a gaudy festival in his face again and he'll forget all about it. Trump can look past literally anything for a compliment.

Whatever gave you that idea? ....

"stop broadcasting Al Jazeera!"
It was pretty damn obvious what the actual target was.

Also, it's kind of what happens when people can tell weakness in others. They immediately take advantage of it, especially in (geo-)politics. This happening right after Trump's visit should not be considered coincidental. It might be, but the timing is suspect.

Everyone but the White House knew this within hours. Even after it was apparent Trump still went with what the Saudis told him over his own State Department.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
and suggested that the Saudis may have provoked a crisis and drawn in the United States on false pretenses.

you know the impulse control experiment where they offer the kids one cookie now or a box of cookies later and basically the kids that take the one cookie now because they have no impulse control end up growing up to be shitty human beings?

we have one of those kids as president and that's why this worked

Gattsu25

Banned
We knew this from day one, I thought.

I remember when Trump spoke out against Qatar it was already known that the entire issue was based on false pretenses.

no-puppet-1476927982-compressed.jpg

No puppet!

"Look guys, we know the president is a fucking moron but could you please stop taking advantage of him?"

Cue Trump attacking the state dept in a tweet.

Fury451

Banned
It's almost like the Saudis exploited a man prone to impulsive idiotic reaction's for their own devious political purposes.

I just can't believe that something like that would happen though

Z3K

This whole situation is much more nuanced and complicated than any of us will ever know.

The royal families of the gulf have been intermarrying for very long time now and the issues between them are much more about allegiances and respect than it is about terrorism.

boingball

Lol, of course. The Saudi's want some of that sweet natural gas under Qatar. I mean they have to pay Trump and the weapons but they don't have the money for it.

Also for strategic reason they see that this is their last chance for hegemony in the region. With Trump they can go full on conflict with Iran but with a more America First President in office once Trump is gone this might not be possible anymore.

Top Bottom