• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

*Update - 11/2/2015, a new official poster released:

OB11vrK.jpg

**Update 5/18/2015 - First photos of Orgrim Doomhammer from Wired:

Filming for Warcraft finished in June of 2014, the film now has a full 20 months of post-production until its release on June 10th, 2016. I figured we could have a place where myself and the three other people on GAF who are genuinely looking forward to this could have a place to discuss it as details slowly trickle out over the coming months.

Directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code, off-spring of David Bowie)

nN1LSnz.jpg

Cast:

bconwcmp004.jpg
bconwcmp005.jpg

bconwcmp006.jpg
bconwcmp007.jpg
bconwcmp012.jpg

bconwcmp009.jpg
bconwcmp008.jpg

bconwcmp011.jpg
bconwcmp010.jpg

Daniel Wu - Gul'dan

uiiDdpG.jpg

Info about the film from a Blizzcon 2013 Q&A Panel with Duncan Jones + Blizzard folk:

- The film will take place during the events of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (the first game in the series), and will detail the first clash between, well, Orcs and Humans.

FAjvImw.jpg

- The human knight Anduin Lothar and the orc chieftan Durotan are the focus of the film:

KK9zBe9.jpg
3Aa2et4.png

- Duncan Jones wanted to tell the origin of how these two races/cultures first encountered each other as opposed to jumping in the middle of a more recent Warcraft storyline.
- Chris Metzen (Blizzard's lead story/lore guy) said they've danced around a few different stories over the years but Duncan really wanted to tell this one.
- The original screenplay (presumably the one from when Sam Raimi was still attached to direct) was apparently very "Alliance-centric". Jones wanted to spread the love out more evenly between the two factions.
- Jones wants the audience to be able to feel empathy for Orc heroes as much as the human ones.
- Orcs will be created through CGI + mo-cap.
- Trying to make the Orcs photo-realstic while also keeping them in that distinct Warcraft style is a challenge
- Orcs won't be monsters, they'll have just as much personality as the humans
- The Orc language is being fully fleshed out for the film, more-so than it ever was in the games
- Blizzard's creatives are heavily involved with the production, but obviously there is a balance between their input and the Hollywood guys
- The film will feature "the biggest swords you'll ever see on a human".
- WoW's style is difficult when approaching it from a practical, real perspective. Small things like shoulder-pad size and unsheathing weapons (when weapons in the Warcraft universe are so huge they don't have scabbards) - are things they've had to figure out how to translate to live-action and not make it silly.
- The film's tone will be "like Gladiator", very "down in the dirt, covered in grime"
- Film is not planned to be the start of a trilogy, Jones gives the indication that the movie will tell it's own story. But of course, if the film is successful, they'd love to keep making them.
- "Why a movie and not a TV series?" - audience question. Metzen says they've been working on the film for so long that these days they could totally see it as a TV series thanks to Game of Thrones, but six or seven years ago, no way. It started as a film, so it'll stay a film.
- Film will likely be PG-13 (no real surprise), because you can get away with a lot in a PG-13 film these days (the games are Rated "T for Teen" by the ESRB, for reference) .

Technical stuff:

- Bill Westenoffer is the VFX supervisor for the film (Recently won an Oscar for The Life of Pi, also worked on effects for The Golden Compass and the Chronicles of Narnia films)
- "Incredible team" at ILM will handle the film's effects
- Simon Duggin is the film's cinematographer (The Great Gatsby, i Robot)
- Paul Hirsch will edit the film (Worked with Jones on all of his previous films as well as The Empire Strikes Back and Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Not specifically film stuff:

- Jones has played every Warcraft game to date, and other MMOs for years, was a clan leader in Ultima Online.
- Bill Westenoffer has been playing WoW since the alpha test. While working on VFX for The Golden Compass, he'd stay up until 2:00am to raid with his guild.

TheXbox

The budget on this movie must be obscene. Are they expecting a huge return on a video game movie? (even if it is Warcraft)

Frog-fu

Banned
I can't help but think this is going to be a terrible movie that's going to lose a lot of money at the box office.

Raptor

Im in just because of Ben Foster.

Don't care to much about the Warcraft IP but sounds really interesting.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What kind of fantasy is Warcraft if you don't mind me asking? Any Tolkien elements? Inspired by Norse sagas? Didactic in nature? Magical elements? Grounded in reality?

Looks interesting.

FeD.nL

I hate the logo, whats wrong with just the normal Warcraft logo?

Though I am interested to see how Jones handles a big budget and bigger scale.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have never played a Warcraft game and very rarely see movies in theaters, but something makes me think I'll be seeing this on opening weekend. Just the fact that it exists is fascinating enough for me to want a look. I've conditioned myself to stop even reading video game movie news because they never seem to materialize, throw a bit of Blizzard in there and this movie being completed is less plausible than Duke Nukem Forever's release.

Salvadora

I'm quite looking forward to this despite not having played WoW for a couple of years now.

I trust Jones, Moon was terrific.

strafer

Edmond Dantès;125986391 said:
What kind of fantasy is Warcraft if you don't mind me asking? Any Tolkien elements? Inspired by Norse sagas? Didactic in nature? Magical elements? Grounded in reality?

Looks interesting.

High Fantasy.

Orcs. Humans. Elves. Magic. Warriors.

Pretty much everything is in there. :p

Sketchbag

Banned
The reason Sam Raimi and other directors didn't want it was because Blizzard wanted to control a lot of the story. With the way their current story telling is going I don't have much hope for this movie other than it will be pretty.

Looks interesting.

Think Warhammer, only almost identical to Warhammer.

It's really a Warhammer movie.

Tacitus_

- The film will feature "the biggest swords you'll ever see on a human".
- WoW's style is difficult when approaching it from a practical, real perspective. Small things like shoulder-pad size and unsheathing weapons (when weapons in the Warcraft universe are so huge they don't have scabbards) - are things they've had to figure out how to translate to live-action and not make it silly.

Allright, I'm interested. (well more interested)

Looks interesting.

Other than the Warhammer quote above, it's Orcs high on demon blood intent on conquering the kingdoms of men. Big muscles, big swords, big pauldrons. The elves are Tolkien-esque, dwarfs are blacksmith/miners and there be dragons. And steampunk gnomes.

Ceebs

Looks interesting.

At this point is a bit of everything. World of Warcraft for instance is pretty much a "Best of" fantasy compilation. They have done everything from demons and other realms, to Norse inspired, to Chinese fantasy.

I would expect the movie to dial everything back to more of a basic D&D type fantasy setting though.

Loxley

Looks interesting.

It's a bit hard to pin down, Warcraft has become a grab-bag of fantasy inspirations over the years (which you tend to end up with when you have teams of people creating the universe). Its even got a notable chunk of sci-fi thrown in on top of it all.

But at it's foundation, Warcraft it takes a lot of inspiration from Warhammer.

I would expect the movie to dial everything back to more of a basic D&D type fantasy setting though.

Very likely. I have doubts well see any gnomish motorcycles or gyrocopters.

Loxley

I'm surprised they've been so quiet about who is playing which character. The only reason we know that Ben Foster is playing Medivh is because he said so in an interview. Part of me wants to think Clancy Brown will play Lothar since he looks like the character, but his voice is so great that he could also be Durotan.

potam

Banned
Not to get too off topic, but have there been any truly successful (both critically and commercially) video game movies? I know there's a shit ton of RE movies, but those are just shitty movies made to sell.

Could this be the first video game movie that actually pushes its way into mainstream?

Pickman

Very talented director, so I'm glad they gave him a really big property to sink his teeth into. I've seen him do incredible stuff with relatively crap budgets, so as long as they have a great production staff in place I think this could really be a fantastic movie.

Rob Kazinsky is a self-confessed HUGE WoW nerd and Warcraft player so I'm looking forward to seeing how he does getting to live out what has to be a dream role.

Amagon

I can't believe a movie is being made from this game. I wonder Blizzard would do fuck all for a Diablo movie since they sued(?) the makers of A Man Apart to change their movie name when it was originally called Diablo.

Acorn

It's weird they went ahead with it now. It isn't really in the "public" consciousness now compared to when they were first gonna do it.

Abounder

Banned
Video game movies could be the next trend if Sony's films, Warcraft, and Adam Sandler's comedy takes off.

I think this movie will be a huge hit considering WoW's subscriber count and its impact on pop culture. Blizzard fans are a supportive bunch.

Quality wise I hope it's better than the Thor movies, and I like that they are keeping the noble savage Orc personalities. Not sure about the origin story approach but I like the cast and crew so far

Doesn't seem like it will have much competition that weekend, in fact nothing else is scheduled yet. Got Prometheus 2 the week before and Batman v Superman a couple weeks after.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm interested in seeing how it ends up being. I think it's be great if we had some sort of long standing fantasy movie series that keeps getting movies made for it

What's the studio behind the game CG cutscenes? Are they involved in this movie alongside ILM?

Blizzard has an in house team. They probably won't be touching it since they've got their hands full already with the games

It's weird they went ahead with it now. It isn't really in the "public" consciousness now compared to when they were first gonna do it.

That will change once Blizzard drops the trailer for Titan... which is WoW 2... even though they said it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom