• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Shuts Down 15 Year Old Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum Fan Film After New Movie Reveal

ManaByte

Gold Member

After announcing Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum as a Peter Jackson-produced movie set for 2026, Warner Bros. has filed a copyright strike against a fan film of the same name despite it being live on YouTube for 15 years.

The Hunt for Gollum was announced yesterday, May 9, 2024, as a new Lord of the Rings film starring and directed by original Gollum actor Andy Serkis. But the name itself was familiar to longtime fans of the franchise who had watched Independent Online Cinema's 2009 fan film, which had accrued 13.6 million views on YouTube before it was hauled offline.

Visiting the film's page now comes up with the "video unavailable" screen, however. "This video contains content from Warner Bros. Entertainment, who has blocked it on copyright grounds," the page reads.

The fan film follows the exact same plot about Aragorn from the Appendices and Unfinished Tales that the movie will, so try to act surprised.

Trilobit

Copyright owners have the authority to do so, but it doesn't mean that killing fanart is always the right choice.

Nintendo:

171.jpg

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Can't blame them, they're probably afraid it's better than the dumpster fire they're gonna make
Having seen The Hunt for Gollum, it's really not good. Neither was 2009's other big LOTR fan film, Born of Hope.

Bojji

"Hunt for Gollum" WTF (I'm talking about announced movie).

What's with this obsession of Gollum? No one cares about this character and recent game showed exactly that. When I watched the movies and read the books I was always annoyed when this character appeared.

These motherfuckers are so out of touch with fanbase (and probably casuals too, who cares about this little ugly goblin?).

Lunarorbit

Gollum is dead. Why do they insist on rehashing characters like this?

Too scared after the horrible lotr show to use lesser known characters?

Have to have the big name on the card so it gets greenlit by the studio?

Lunarorbit

It's set before he dies and based on something Tolkien actually wrote.
I understand that. What I meant is why the appeal to bring a dead character back to the screen like this. Everyone is so high on Rogue One but I kinda don't give a shit cause he blows up at the end of the movie.

I get there's stories to tell and background info to give but knowing a characters end fate and knowing how story starved hollywoid is movies like this feel hollow to me

ManaByte

Gold Member
I understand that. What I meant is why the appeal to bring a dead character back to the screen like this. Everyone is so high on Rogue One but I kinda don't give a shit cause he blows up at the end of the movie.

I get there's stories to tell and background info to give but knowing a characters end fate and knowing how story starved hollywoid is movies like this feel hollow to me

Because it's an Aragorn movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom