• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Zelda Wind Waker (the original) Nintendos pinnacle in terms of graphical prowness?

SantaC

It was released in 2002 (JPN) at a time when most games looked muddy with brown and grey.

Booting up the original and it still looks good 18 years later. What a technical marvel this was from Nintendo. Sadly, it was all downhill from here and Nintendo was never the console graphics king again.

Original Wind Waker shots from 2002 era.

42603-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-outset.jpg

42609-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-inside.jpg

42612-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-swing.jpg

716451-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-on.png

Too bad gamers had to complain about Celda bring teh kiddie so we got this instead:

199690-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-screenshot-exploring.png

🤮

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I remember StarFox Adventures and F-Zero looking really well on the cube.

But yeah, WW is the most pretty of the bunch, and it ages nicely too.

TWW was the top-dog for Nintendo's art style until BotW came out.

BotW is the first Zelda I've wanted to play (since and before TWW) where the art alone made me want to play it.

the fact that there is only 2 years separating majora’s mask and wind waker is proof to me that the jump from 5th gen to the 6th gen is probably the largest graphical leap we’ll ever see between gens honesty

I get pushback but I'll always say that the PS1->PS2 and N64->GameCube leap was the biggest one we'll ever see.

Just an absolute massive gap between the horrid polygons of first-gen 3D and the 2nd gen smooth textures and designs.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Wind Waker is not only a graphical marvel, it's an artistic marvel. That's why it remains good looking to this day.

And I wouldn't say it necessarily has to do with the cel-shading technique, because other games from even previous generations still look amazing to this day.

Demon's Crest, Super Metroid, Banjo-Kazooie, Grandia, Resident Evil 2... they all aged gracefully -- with the obvious limitations, of course -- but nonetheless, still great looking games.

They were all cutting-edge in tech and in artistic value.

johntown

Banned
I think it was very clever. Nintendo always manages to make their games look good for what they are running on and working with. Not sure if I would call it the pinnacle but it is good.

They have some of the best talent in the industry for sure.

the fact that there is only 2 years separating majora’s mask and wind waker is proof to me that the jump from 5th gen to the 6th gen is probably the largest graphical leap we’ll ever see between gens honesty

Yeah, look at Resident Evil on PS1 and REmake on GameCube. It's crazy they're only 5-6 years apart.

Dr.brain64

Yes, specially since every zelda after it used the ww engine (also because nintendo is so cheap).

Last edited:
No, absolutely not. It has a lot going on under the surface, but it's far from the best they've ever produced technically. And artistically it's garish with its character proportions. Still, the HD release had me stopping in awe a few times. When it works, it works really well.

Jeeves

Maybe so. It was certainly the most meaningful step into cel-shading and we're still seeing the ripples from it today. Plus the game still holds up visually and probably will forever.

You could also make arguments for historical impact with the graphics of any of their consoles prior to Gamecube, but WW is probably the most relevant example of that today.

Too bad gamers had to complain about Celda bring teh kiddie so we got this instead:

199690-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-screenshot-exploring.png

🤮
Right, because it definitely looks like that when properly displayed.

I have recently played Twilight princess for the gamecube on my crt, and it is absolutely stunning. The lighting and atmosphere just pops, and nothing looks like silly funko figures. Twilight princess is an immeasurably better Zelda than WW.

Rat Rage

It was a step in the right direction (cell-shading, more colorful), but the character design looked a little wack.

Saber

Gold Member
Frankly no. The game is very square in terms of models. I wasn't impressed at time, it looks lamish in terms of visuals and design as well. Although I'm pretty much a fan of Cel shading, I think its the reason people keep drooling for this game.

GametimeUK

I remember Sony fanboys laughing and dogpiling a reply I made on a Sony forum when I said Wind Waker had better visuals than Killzone 2. Obviously it depends what metric you're using, but I'd still say it looked better at the time and now time has passed it would be an easier game to go back to in terms of visuals.

Hunnybun

If you mean is it technically the best graphics they've produced, then obviously not. Mario Odyssey and BOTW beat it hands down, and probably some others too.

If you mean was it the most impressive for its time? Again, no. Mario 64 wasn't just Nintendo's best in that sense, but one of the very best ever. It's hard to name anything better, tbh.

Best art direction? It's subjective, clearly. Personally BOTW is a nicer looking game, for me, in terms of its art.

Huggers

I remember Sony fanboys laughing and dogpiling a reply I made on a Sony forum when I said Wind Waker had better visuals than Killzone 2. Obviously it depends what metric you're using, but I'd still say it looked better at the time and now time has passed it would be an easier game to go back to in terms of visuals.

KZ2 was pretty special in terms of lighting and effects but that frame rate would be damaging today when compared with WW. Sony really should remaster those games.

REDRZA MWS

Cartoonish game on an underpowered console? Nahhh........ pretty standard Nintendo. Loved the game though, one of the best 3D Zelda’s.

DonMigs85

Rebel Strike and Star Fox Adventures are probably still the most technically impressive Cube titles, if not artistic. Metroid Prime looks great too but a little low-poly and with some low-rez textures. Prime 2 improved on that but then you get more stutter.

carlosrox

Banned
So it's just like most games they make then?

Most of their games are visually pleasing and looked good on weaker hardware. N64 and GC are basically the only times that wasn't necessarily the case. But most of Nintendo's games usually hold up visually, even back to the NES they had good looking stuff.

Wii U and Switch have absolutely gorgeous looking games and aside from some slowdown/aliasing issues in some games, they'll always look at least good - especially when you consider the hardware they're using.

Getting Smash, DOOM, Ori, etc on something that small, running and looking as good as they do is pretty amazing.

Wii was probably their worst hardware for its time and IQ was bad but I still wouldn't say they had ugly games.

I think most of Nintendo's games hold up visually and probably always will. They know how to make a good art style with whatever hardware they're using.

Last edited:
So it's just like most games they make then?

Most of their games are visually pleasing and looked good on weaker hardware. N64 and GC are basically the only times that wasn't necessarily the case. But most of Nintendo's games usually hold up visually, even back to the NES they had good looking stuff.

Wii U and Switch have absolutely gorgeous looking games and aside from some slowdown/aliasing issues in some games, they'll always look at least good - especially when you consider the hardware they're using.

Getting Smash, DOOM, Ori, etc on something that small, running and looking as good as they do is pretty amazing.

Wii was probably their worst hardware for its time and IQ was bad but I still wouldn't say they had ugly games.

I think most of Nintendo's games hold up visually and probably always will. They know how to make a good art style with whatever hardware they're using.
Wii games honestly look very nice most of the time, if we are talking exclusives. Of course people probably played them with composite cables on their flat screen that had terrible upscaling lol

Don’t wanna sound like a broken record, but god damn stuff like Mario galaxy or prime 3 on a good crt? Nice.

Codes 208

I agree with the artstyle but I don’t agree with the graphics. RE4, star fox assualt/adventure, metroid prime 1 and 2 and even the attention to detail in Luigi’s mansion surpassed it imo.
Cartoonish game on an underpowered console? Nahhh........ pretty standard Nintendo. Loved the game though, one of the best 3D Zelda’s.
The gamecube wasn’t underpowered at all, it was quite a bit faster than the PS2 and just edged out by the OG xbox. This was back in the days when Nintendo actually cared about graphical parity.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It is one of their best, would love to have seen it with all the originally planned dungeons. The game is.also beautiful. Probably my favorite iteration of Zelda too.

Meesh

Ah, Wind Waker... sigh... it was the perfect trifecta of animated expressiveness in the art, the game play which enhanced that, and story.... where the final blow to Ganon is witnessed.

REDRZA MWS

I agree with the artstyle but I don’t agree with the graphics. RE4, star fox assualt/adventure, metroid prime 1 and 2 and even the attention to detail in Luigi’s mansion surpassed it imo.

The gamecube wasn’t underpowered at all, it was quite a bit faster than the PS2 and just edged out by the OG xbox. This was back in the days when Nintendo actually cared about graphical parity.

True about the Gamecube, it was faster than PS2. Not sure how much they cared about graphical fidelity though. It’s was a cel shaded cartoonish game. I like the looks of Twighlight Princess much more.

Top Bottom