• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasn't the Truman Show a perfect analogy of what it would be like to be trapped in a video game?

pramod

Banned
I mean people say the movie is about reality TV, but I think it's actually more like a real-life video game.

Everyone is an NPC that don't go anywhere and are just stuck in a loop.

Everyone seems to know your name without you telling them.

You're trapped in a specific place and can't seem to go beyond its limits due to some artificial barrier or "restriction".

You try to have free will and do what you like but you find that you are forced to live out your life in a premeditated storyline.

People say Free Guy also does this, but I say The Truman Show did this much better and with more subtlety 20 years ago.

dr_octagon

Banned
It's a commentary on how society will watch and enjoy something questionable, unethical or immoral. The casual approach to being bored after viewing a person regain their life and breaking out of a physical and mental cage.

The corporation owning a human and the control they can and will exercise. From day to day work, advertisement, holidays, relationships etc. The prospect of death or the sanity of Truman is secondary because of ratings and money.

The individual who realizes he is a free man, despite his life decisions being made or influenced by actors and a company. The helpless and complicit people who enable, support or fight for Truman on a human level.

And more importantly, this gif.

Jim Carrey What GIF

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The Truman Show follows someone within a system they don't fully understand but are expected to adhere to. That could apply to:

1) Being in a video game/The Matrix
2) Being a corporate wage slave (like Dr Oct said above)
3) Trying to order food while drunk at a Taco Bell

In short, I think the movie resonates because it's about what it's like being a HUMAN living in a SOCIETY.

Albert Camus Literature GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

It's a commentary on how society will watch and enjoy something questionable, unethical or immoral. The casual approach to being bored after viewing a person regain their life and breaking out of a physical and mental cage.

The corporation owning a human and the control they can and will exercise. From day to day work, advertisement, holidays, relationships etc. The prospect of death or the sanity of Truman is secondary because of ratings and money.

The individual who realizes he is a free man, despite his life decisions being made or influenced by actors and a company. The helpless and complicit people who enable, support or fight for Truman on a human level.

And more importantly, this gif.

Jim Carrey What GIF
I see you've watched Moon's video. Just be careful not to take his word as religion/law, his schtick is blaming everything on Blackrock and other countries. He'd trip and fall then blame Blackrock for it.

Is he alt-right?
Did they name the pie after him?

I have many questions.
Conspiracy theorist youtuber. Think of it like a version of Dawson(another popular conspiracy guy) who blames one company and other countries for everything wrong with the entertainment industry. I'll leave it at that.

Trunx81

I always thought that it’s a great representation of life itself. The daily nonsense. Longing to be different. Having people tell you what you can’t do, not what you can do.

Top Bottom