• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehawk

Banned
Typo? You can see where the number was typed from:

numpad.jpg
Nope. They wouldn't be touting "30fps, only on the PS4". I doubt the Xbone version is running at 15fps or something.

derFeef

http://www.golem.de/news/watch-dogs...laystation-4-sind-zu-wenig-1405-106406-3.html

A german IT news site had a chance to play Watch Dogs for one and a half hour on the PS4 last week in Berlin.
They are reporting that Ubisoft talked about 1080p and 60Fps.
The reviewer couldnt notice any frame drops. I think thats some good news.

e//
In addition they said they would prefer 30Fps with a better render quality...well thats bad news :D

They also say ssao is missing...

Lacix

Yeah they say ubi just flatout said (without any doubt) 1080p 60fps on PS4. They also say they personally would have chosen for 30fps and a better image quality... But that might have made the gap between the XboxOne version too big (if i'm reading between the lines).
So, let's assume it IS 60 fps for a moment. Will people prefer this over a cleaner and more impressive look at 30fps?
Cause they willl get shit thrown at them no matter what i think.
Is the Microsoft's parity clause still in effect?

Quick question - How do people actually find out (besides devs telling them obviously) what the resolution / FPS of a game is once it is released on consoles?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Quick question - How do people actually find out (besides devs telling them obviously) what the resolution / FPS of a game is once it is released on consoles?
It's very obvious to my eyes. It's not something I need to investigate. In the case of oddball resolutions you can count pixels but it's always obvious when resolution is lower than the native panel resolution.

It's very obvious to my eyes. It's not something I need to investigate. In the case of oddball resolutions you can count pixels but it's always obvious when resolution is lower than the native panel resolution.

Well I run things on a 1080p 55 inch TV and unless it is 480p content, I don't notice much of a difference. Perhaps my eyes aren't on your level, or my TV just handles things well.

How exactly would one go about counting pixels?

Skyr

Well.. if you show me a game on a tv with a proper size >46inch i am definitely able to tell you if its 720p/900p or 1080p. Also if its closer to 30fps or 60 fps. It is very obvious in my eyes.

What's sad is telling other people that their priorities are wrong just because they differ from your own.

Priorities? What priorities?

If the game isn't going to run at the rate that you want it to, then where are your priorities then? You not going to buy it?

Orayn

Priorities? What priorities?

If the game isn't going to run at the rate that you want it to, then where are your priorities then? You not going to buy it?

Priorities, as in things that matter to people. I actually envy the fact that you're not bothered by framerate, but it does have an effect on some people's enjoyment, so just accept that and stop acting like everyone who cares is necessarily elitist or crazy.

As for your question, it depends on the specific game and far short of expectations it falls. Very few of the people who care about framerate are the "NOT 1080p AND A CONSTANT 60 FPS AT ALL TIMES? FUKKEN DROPPED, PREORDER CANCELED!" strawmen you want them to be.

whitehawk

Banned
Well I run things on a 1080p 55 inch TV and unless it is 480p content, I don't notice much of a difference. Perhaps my eyes aren't on your level, or my TV just handles things well.

How exactly would one go about counting pixels?
You probably sit farther away than most people. If you tried to play a 720p game on a PC you would notice right away.

Jtrizzy

1080p60 is worth the sacrifice in graphics. I'd rather play a pc port with great art like Bioshock Infinite or Elder Scrolls Online at 1080p60 than any of the best looking PS4 games like Infamous or Killzone.

orochi91

Also, I'm not sure why this is surprising when the devs themselves have said this is to be at a smooth 30fps.

I can obviously tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Resolution between 900p and 1080p, no. I really honestly don't believe that others can, but what do I know.

If you jump back and forth between games from different gens, identifying resolutions
becomes easier.

For instance, I jump between PS2 - PS3 - PC games quite often enough where my
eyes can now pretty much distinguish between 1080p, 720p and under.

60 fps is pleasant.

Skyr

Also, I'm not sure why this is surprising when the devs themselves have said this is to be at a smooth 30fps.

I can obviously tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Resolution between 900p and 1080p, no. I really honestly don't believe that others can, but what do I know.

yes some people can. For instance AssCreed 4 was patched from 900p to 1080p on ps4.
Show it to me and i tell you right away if its post or pre patch. Maybe it also depends on the TV and used settings but yes it is possible.

Jtrizzy

You can tell that BF4 isn't native res on PS4. It still looks great, and I'd be fine with games dropping to that in order to reach the 55-60 range.

Priorities, as in things that matter to people. I actually envy the fact that you're not bothered by framerate, but it does have an effect on some people's enjoyment, so just accept that and stop acting like everyone who cares is necessarily elitist or crazy.

You don't have control over it. You need to accept what you're given, chill the fuck out and just enjoy it. You're still going to buy the game regardless, but the difference between you and I, is that on the day we play it you'll be pissing and moaning about such trivial things, and I'll be loving it. In the way the developers want us to.

As for your question, it depends on the specific game and far short of expectations it falls. Very few of the people who care about framerate are the "NOT 1080p AND A CONSTANT 60 FPS AT ALL TIMES? FUKKEN DROPPED, PREORDER CANCELED!" strawmen you want them to be.

Hyperbowl much. Where did I say such a thing? I said that unless it's at THE rate (60fps/1080p) then people wont enjoy it. And you just proved my point :

I actually envy the fact that you're not bothered by framerate, but it does have an effect on some people's enjoyment,

Don't buy it then I guess?

MJLord

If the framerate can hold a solid 30 and not fly around all over the place then I'm happy. Likewise if it's 60. I'd rather it holds true on one of those numbers then flying around all over the place. That's when I start to notice it.

yes some people can. For instance AssCreed 4 was patched from 900p to 1080p on ps4.
Show it to me and i tell you right away if its post or pre patch. Maybe it also depends on the TV and used settings but yes it is possible.

when I first played asscreed 4 on my ps4 I thought the game was already patched and was pretty disappointed with the iq, then noticed the update going the next time I started the game and it was obvious I was now playing it in 1080p, its a huge difference in my opinion.

ekim

So we are back at 60 FPS on PS4? That's one weird story. Sony/Ubi - just issue an official statement. Thank you!

Jtrizzy

I should just get this on PC probably. Just looking at ebay there are tons of codes for $30. It seems like my 580 and a 2600k with hyperthreading (hopefully this helps with that crazy 8 core recommendation) should beat the PS4 version, but it will be close.

mike4001_

Then I am interested in the Xbox One situation

PS4 with 1080 and a steady 60

There is no way xbox one is only 900 / 30 => Would just be to much of a performance difference between the two systems which is not there.

It had to be 900 / 60 or 1080 / 30 for xbox one then.

geordiemp

Because none of you can enjoy the game unless it at that resolution and framerate.

It's sad.
Sad and salty.

When I play Black ops 2 on 360 at 60 fps vs a 30 fps shooter (BF), it feels more responsive and smooth.

I cant tell much of a difference by looking at vids on a web site, but I definitely notice when playing.

You think others don't ? COD sells 20 million copies, yes its a 'bro' shooter but its success is its a good console 60 fps twitch shooter.

So no, you are wrong, 60 fps will increase my enjoyment of the game, especially the driving bits.

I like 1080, it looks sweet on a 50 inch nice TV, I don't care that much for some of the fancy effects....which I notice less than resolution and frame rate.

JimiNutz

Banned
If the framerate can hold a solid 30 and not fly around all over the place then I'm happy. Likewise if it's 60. I'd rather it holds true on one of those numbers then flying around all over the place. That's when I start to notice it.

Thats the thing for me too. I notice drops in framerate far more than I notice the difference between 30 and 60.
I'll take a rock solid locked 30 over a variable 60 (even if its 60 for the majority of the time).

Autofokus

Why do you think that people can't see the difference in nearly 50% resolution reduction? If you include scaling vs. native display resolution, you get another substantial image quality hit.

And another thing what people often confuse in such discussions: non-native resolution doesn't mean the game looks instantly like shit, just worse. The game can still looks fine.

R_Deckard

So we are back at 60 FPS on PS4? That's one weird story. Sony/Ubi - just issue an official statement. Thank you!

Sony jumped the gun so they CANNOT issues a statement unless Ubisoft say they can.

Ubisoft are never going to crap on the WD brand and sales by decrying the X1 version,maybe the X1 version has hit 1080/30 so this becomes alot less of a marketing issue for both if there 1080 (with lower rez shadows etc hard to spot) and TV ads and Youtube will not show the FPS..makes perfect sense to me!

ekim

Sony jumped the gun so they CANNOT issues a statement unless Ubisoft say they can.

Ubisoft are never going to crap on the WD brand and sales by decrying the X1 version,maybe the X1 version has hit 1080/30 so this becomes alot less of a marketing issue for both if they 1080 and TV ads and Youtube will not show the FPS..makes perfect sense to me!

For me personally (after reading the golem.de article), they should have been shooting for better IQ and AO@30FPS. No AO in an open world game can look really rough.

For me personally (after reading the golem.de article), they should have been shooting for better IQ and AO@30FPS. No AO in an open world game can look really rough.

There is definitely AO. It's clearly visible in the trailers they have released so far. It's highly unlikely that it has been removed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wouldn't put too much money on a report from a website when even Eurogamer has reported about MK8 being 1080p. And we have wrong reports about framerate quite often. And even the Ubisoft rep might not know exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom