• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

Eusis

The problem isn't just a lack of competition for Intel. It's just that there is nothing performance wise the main stream market needs. Word processing, excel, email and web browsing doesn't take much power at all. Hell phones are likely powerful enough to replace most desktop machines outside of niche markets.

I can't think of anything that would drive a resurgence for mass consumers outside of maybe gaming. Perhaps an attempt to bring Jarvis to every home.
That was kind of my point though, that the minority that want amazing gaming CPUs will help push this forward again now that 8 core CPUs will be the standard in consoles. And that's one of the only things that can do it since as we both noted most other consumer applications don't really NEED heavy power.

VillageBC

That was kind of my point though, that the minority that want amazing gaming CPUs will help push this forward again now that 8 core CPUs will be the standard in consoles. And that's one of the only things that can do it since as we both noted most other consumer applications don't really NEED heavy power.

Yes, I was just agreeing with you. =) I was trying to think of something outside of gaming that general people would want that required heavy power, and I can't think of anything. Outside of Jarvis, and that is probably easier for Google to bring us then everyone have a mainframe at home.

In an absolutely ideal instruction mix for Jaguar (which is not realistically possible), the theoretical FP performance is equal.

In an absolutely ideal instruction mix for both Jaguar and Piledriver, they can issue 8 flops per core. Piledriver and Jaguar both have a max theoretical throughput of 8 flops per core, according to AMD.

If you compare a Jaguar core to a Piledriver core (Trinity), Jaguar doesn't look that bad really.

Based on information from these sources:
- http://semiaccurate.com/2012/08/28/amd-let-the-new-cat-out-of-the-bag-with-the-jaguar-core/
- http://www.anandtech.com/show/6201/a...architecture/2
- Agner Fog's microarchitecture.pdf

We can gather following comparison results:
- Both are modern x86/x64 out of order cores (with register renaming, efficient store forwarding, etc goodies)
- Both support newest instruction sets (BMI, AVX, FC16, etc).
- Both can execute 2 integer (ALU) operations per cycle.
- Both have throughput of 8 (vector) flops per cycle per core (Jaguar = 128b add + 128b mul, Piledriver = 128b mad, assuming of course that the other core uses half of the shared FPU resources).

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1667582&postcount=43

So it's not really clear to me what you are saying. If you mean that with FMA support Piledriver has a higher FP throughput than Jaguar, then you are wrong. This is how the Piledriver FPU works.

The FPU can do 4 individual 128 bit operations per clock of which two can be a multiply-accumulate operation (D=A*B+C). As each 128 bit operation can do up to 4 x 32 bit float operations or 2 x 64 bit float the FPU can do peak 4 x 2 (FMA units) x 2 (one multiply+one add) = 16 single precision FLOPS per clock.

http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3230805&cid=41879729

A single shared FPU can do 16 flops per clock and therefore 8 flops per core, which is exactly the same throughput of Jaguar. This is with FMA.

So this:makes no sense, and is what I was objecting to.

As I said, it makes sense in the context of FP heavy code. In fact, this is why the 8 core Piledriver does not scale well in Cinebench, while an 8 core Jaguar should scale much better. Now, obviously an 8 core Piledriver is a lot more powerful than an 8 core Jaguar, but I was just talking about how the performance scales with more cores.

Gumbie

smh at some of the responses about cpus in here.

622-1223164587.gif

Wonko_C

Direct X11 minimum? There goes my hope of playing it at Xbox 360 quality settings at least. .. Welp, back to completing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow at glorious 60fps then!

i5-3570k (3.40Ghz)
560 Ti
8GB RAM

I don't.... know. Not confident with these specs. Doesn't the PS4 have more GPU power than this? This would.. what - make it between current & next-gen? And dat 8-core? Seriously, I bought this CPU as future proofing 2 years back.

Eusis

i5-3570k (3.40Ghz)
560 Ti
8GB RAM

I don't.... know. Not confident with these specs. Doesn't the PS4 have more GPU power than this? This would.. what - make it between current & next-gen?
Going by the benchmarks I saw earlier: between XB1 and PS4 actually, heh.

But since most 560 Tis were 1 GB cards (At least when I got mine) I personally would go next-gen if you can, though I guess it'd probably still beat out 360/PS3.

Quasar

This whole thing raises a question, just where are the 8 core processors? Intel ones are at best hyper threaded quad core, and amd ones have core pairs that share resources. Are there any true 8 core x86 parts?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
i5-3570k (3.40Ghz)
560 Ti
8GB RAM

I don't.... know. Not confident with these specs. Doesn't the PS4 have more GPU power than this? This would.. what - make it between current & next-gen? And dat 8-core? Seriously, I bought this CPU as future proofing 2 years back.

why is that k processor stock!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Going by the benchmarks I saw earlier: before XB1 and PS4 actually, heh.

But since most 560 Tis were 1 GB cards (At least when I got mine) I personally would go next-gen if you can, though I guess it'd probably still beat out 360/PS3.

OC that CPU.

None of the 560's variants are meant for next gen so you will need something beefier especially if you want higher settings.

Lol...I have a i3 2100 + 7970, so I'm out. I knew this day would come eventually...but over Watch Dogs? Just...really?

And I think someone inquired about BF3's performance on a dual core. I get 50+ FPS on Ultra. No performance complaints whatsoever.

antitrop

how will a 770 w/ 2 gigs of ram, a core I5 4570, and 8 gigs of general purpose stack up? Them recommending eight core CPUs have me nervous

It'll run like butter, wtf, that's like brand new hardware. You spent too much money to be nervous, stop. 1080p, 60fps, maxed settings, probably even get to run some of that TXAA and Tessellation they're putting in there if you want.

BlazinAm

Intel hasn't released a consumer eight core processor right?

So I'd assume 8 threaded CPU is what they are looking for unless WatchDogs runs better on AMD cores or something.

Lulubop

Lol...I have a i3 2100 + 7970, so I'm out. I knew this day would come eventually...but over Watch Dogs? Just...really?

And I think someone inquired about BF3's performance on a dual core. I get 50+ FPS on Ultra. No performance complaints whatsoever.

I can't with some of these replies.

Mulgrok

Why are people so surprised that games made primarily for the new consoles that have 8 core CPUs will require PCs to have 8 cores to get the most out of them. This isn't rocket science.

Requirements for AAA games are not going to decrease as the generation evolves... so get used to it.

antitrop

Why are people so surprised that games made primarily for the new consoles that have 8 core CPUs will require PCs to have 8 cores to get the most out of them. This isn't rocket science.

Requirements for AAA games are not going to decrease as the generation evolves... so get used to it.
This post right here.

This is what happens when a console warrior wanders into a PC thread.

Kurdel

Banned
Any conspiracies theories yet about how PC requirements being too high to scare people onto staying on consoles?

Zeth

Wow - good point. Think I might just go console-only after all!

dr_rus

All Intel's modern quad cores will do just fine.

Number of cores doesn't mean anything. Any modern PC quad core CPU is much faster than 8-cores CPUs in the new consoles. There is no requirement on the number of cores, only on the processing speed.

Pandemic

Anyone know if these specs will be able to run the game on recommended/ultra?

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard

Much appreciated.

hoserx

Anyone know if these specs will be able to run the game on recommended/ultra?

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard

Much appreciated.

Can you not read the specs in the OP?

LCGeek

formerly sane

Considering the topic at hand you should read up a little. People wanted more clarification from ubisoft about the 8 cores considering it's pretty generic. Not that it's surprise and considering it's being based on weak ass amd cores if it's to be believed some intel users should stop tripping balls considering what they already do in most benchmarks

I can get use to better graphics than the obvious hints that the requirements show your side won't be getting the ultra settings. Enjoy knowing during the generation as more of us upgrade games like this will only perform and look better. Keep those downgrades we have already seen in the game while some of us will probably be downsampling this game and making it our bitch in less than 3 years.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
That doesn't seem balanced at all. As if a 8-core 800 MHz processor is more efficient that a 3 GHz dual core :(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
And yet it can run on PS3, 360, and wii u hardware. I am confused on why they are restricting to the higher end side instead of accommodating it for all hardware.

Courage

I've been heavily analyzing all of your guys' builds and only 3 of you can run this game at 720fps 30p.

Sorry guys.

It will be interesting to see the benchmarks once this game comes out. Then we will see if an 8 core runs faster than the 4 in this game.

Because the 8 cores in question are far less powerful than modern intel 4 core devices. Actually the specs seem to be implying that it wants 8 threads, not cores, since it's putting quad core multithreaded intel CPUs in the same category as oct core AMD cpus.

Top Bottom