• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

Damian.

Banned
Except this chart is pretty much a joke. The minimum fps is barely any lower than the average fps, which doesn't correspond with pretty much anyone's beta experience.

They're definitely showing a best case scenario thing with that chart. Do we know what kind of map setup they are using? Surely it's not a 64-player server. When I turn off HT on my 2600k I get nowhere near the performance they are showing in that chart in a large match. Maybe a 16, possibly 32 player match.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
8800GT

Bless that card.

-SD-

Banned
I'm pretty sure Intel will bring an 8PC CPU to market in 2014, at the latest. Otherwise gamers will think Intel's got a poor showing, feature-wise. Well, at least that's what I'm thinking right now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm pretty sure Intel will bring an 8PC CPU to market in 2014, at the latest. Otherwise gamers will think Intel's got a poor showing, feature-wise. Well, at least that's what I'm thinking right now.

If we get 8 cores that match up with the per core performance of their current cream of the crop AND we get engines that scale properly across cores the way this specs list seems to point to, there is no reason not to be hyped for it right?

smbu2000

Well they do have 8 core CPUs just not in their consumer line. Their consumer line tops out at 6 core/12 threads. Sandy Bridge Xeons top out at 8 core/16 threads. Ivy Bridge Xeons will have 10 core/20 threads and 12 core/24 threads variants as well. Consumer line still tops out at 6/12 though.

I have an 8 core/16 thread SB Xeon E5 in my rig.

KKRT00

If we get 8 cores that match up with the per core performance of their current cream of the crop AND we get engines that scale properly across cores the way this specs list seems to point to, there is no reason not to be hyped for it right?

That new 8 core Haswell-E will definitely be as good in terms IPC as current Haswell processor.

Frostbite 3 will scale to 8 cores by default and Crytek said that they can make game in CryEngine 3.5 that easily scale up to 16 cores or more. UE 4 i think also scales up to at least 6 cores by default.
Good times ahead.

Durante

Held back is an interesting way to look at things. The fact that many games were created for consoles also allowed for much higher levels of image quality and performance. Games that really pushed PC hardware to its limits would ultimately force PC gamers to give up high framerates and great image quality. Is that what people want?
I absolutely do want to be forced to upgrade. The past few years were terribly boring in the CPU space.

Haswell-E will probably be more than good enough for everything for 6 years again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It would have been nice if devs threw in future proof settings like how many samples motion blur/ambient occlusion use or resolution scaling options (internal rendering resolutions like Durante's fix for Dark Souls).
Definitely true. I really enjoy revisiting older PC games with much more powerful hardware down the line and this would definitely improve that end of it.

KKRT00

I don't rememeber DICE talking about PS4 OS reservation. Please provide a link.

It's not obvious at all, especially when an actual PS4 developer said that all the evidence indicated less than 1 core reserved. So if you really want to talk about something real, let's wait until we have official info.
I'm not going to waste my time to search through all DICE quotes to find info about 6 cores utilization.

And official info is from KZ:SF presentation and it states 1.6ghz and 6 cores.

lt519

Hey at least I meet the minimum. Back to my PC being an indie machine. Need a new graphics card and power supply to get where it needs to be.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That new 8 core Haswell-E will definitely be as good in terms IPC as current Haswell processor.

Frostbite 3 will scale to 8 cores by default and Crytek said that they can make game in CryEngine 3.5 that easily scale up to 16 cores or more. UE 4 i think also scales up to at least 6 cores by default.
Good times ahead.

And Frostbite is being used pretty much across the board by EA so that covers their entire slate of PC releases. Most excellent.

Carlisle

Wow, my GPU can take it but that'll melt my dual core CPU through the floor. But upgrading to a quad (or probably 8-core to future proof it a bit if quads are the MINIMUM now), will require a mobo, case, and PSU upgrade as well :(

Guess I'm getting this one on Wii U.

Nocturno999

People are in full panic mode, wth?
Edit: Most of the rigs that people are listing will run the game fine.
I doubt even the most hardcore of builds will max the game at 60 FPS 100% of the time

Naminator

Banned
I absolutely do want to be forced to upgrade. The past few years were terribly boring in the CPU space.

Haswell-E will probably be more than good enough for everything for 6 years again.

I completely agree with this.

I had a i7 930 and not a while a go upgraded to 3930k, and I really regret it LOL, 3930k is a beast to doubt, but with nearly all games that I tested with the exception of Far Cry 3 were barely taking advantage of 4 threads, most were only using 3 threads and most barely ever passed 60% usage. I should have waited and upgraded to an 8 Core Ivy E.

:(

RulkezX

I doubt even the most hardcore of builds will max the game at 60 FPS 100% of the time

Its like frame rates below 60 or IQ settings below ultra don't exist.

vg260

My last PC build was an i5-3570K. I guess i'm being remiss by not overclocking it?

It was my first jump to Intel, and just deciding what to buy was enough work at the time.

You'll just lose out on some free performance gains, that's all. You'd need a decent aftermarket cooler, though - the reference coolers aren't meant for OC.

I actually have a cooler master 212 on it. So I guess I have no reason not to if this game struggles with it. Hope there's a demo or some way to benchmark this.

pixlexic

Banned

They think for some reason that one console core == 1 i7 hyper threaded core.

I plan to upgrade my Phenom II x4 965 / 6870 rig to a FX-8350 / 7970 next June. The only game coming out in the next year+ that I want to play on my PC is Dragon Age Inquisition. Everything else I am getting for the PS4.

GHG

This is where I finally say don't listen to PC-GAF.

They told us 2GB of VRam will get through next gen fine - BF4 reccomends 3GB

They told us AMD Octocore CPU's were shit and that more than 4 cores wont be needed for next gen - Watch Dogs reccomends 8 core CPUs.

And this is only the start of next-gen and these are just console ports.

The writing was on the wall though as soon as the PS4 specs were released.

People are surprised their rigs are mid range or low now. Peeps got used to destroying the recommended specs for many years that some have forgotten what it was like to just make it.

KKRT00

So what that it recommends 3GB? It recommends for settings higher than next-gen consoles.
No one said that 2GB VRAM will be enough for highest settings.

---
They told us AMD Octocore CPU's were shit and that more than 4 cores wont be needed for next gen - Watch Dogs reccomends 8 core CPUs.
Also, no one sober said this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

And this is only the start of next-gen and these are just console ports.

The writing was on the wall though as soon as the PS4 specs were released.

Yep. I'm not sure 3Gb GPU is going to be big enough. My next GPU will have 4Gb.

64bit only?
welcome to 2003
raised min specs are a good thing
would have loved even higher base spec for next gen if only the consoles packed more juice

Waiting until 2014 to upgrade PC anyways plus I'll have this game on Wii U.

But will snag BF4 and likely other stuff in 2014.

I was considering a Haswell i5, but this talk of 8-core and i7 makes me think I need to focus on an i7 build.

Well, still have ~4 months to see prices drop first.

"Heh, Watch_Dogs will never run or look like that on PS4 because it was demo'ed on a PC, heh console peasants
d50NZ.gif
"

"Why won't it run on my PC
xSM17.gif
O4Bsd.gif
"

byropoint

I'm still using an i7 920 overclocked to 3.8Ghz as well. It has been very disconcerting that CPU requirements and utilization in games hasn't seen a significant improvement over the course of several years now. It appears that we're finally seeing significant changes, at the very least games will be fully optimized to take advantage of up to 8 threads. Even so, I expect our CPU to continue to stay moderately-strong for the immediate future. Perhaps Haswell-E or another followed micro-architecture (Broadwell?) will have the significant performance improvements to merit a full upgrade.

I've also got an i7 920 running at 4.2ghz and I feel they're going to start getting old now, up to this moment I wasn't even thinking about getting a new platform and a cpu anytime soon since this one eats up everything you throw at it even today, it's been 5 years now with that cpu, what a great investment, really happy with it!

Really considering an upgrade to an FX-6300 from my Athlon II X4 640.. Will probably double my CPU performance.. But do I even need that with my Radeon 7770?.. Naah, I'll just slug along at Mid-settings and 900p resolution until hardware becomes cheaper come 2014 summer.

Durante

If Haswell-E is like the other E chips, won't the 8 core cost $700+?
The difference is that with Haswell-E there will be an 8 core and 6 core variants for the desktop, while with current E chips there are 6 and 4 core variants. As such, the 6 core variant should slot in lower than it does currently in terms of pricing. At least that's my hope.

And 6 Haswell-E cores OCed at say 4.5 GHz will obliterate the consoles by such a massive degree that it will be more than fine for the entire generation.

I'm not going to waste my time to search through all DICE quotes to find info about 6 cores utilization.

You made that claim, not me. So you are supposed to provide a source.

And official info is from KZ:SF presentation and its states 1.6ghz and 6 cores.

That's not official info. It's just an assumption made on the presentation of the demo. That demo was running on alpha dev kits. Alpha kits didn't even have the Jaguar CPU. Assuming things like final clock speed and OS reservation from that presentation is not official info.

KKRT00

You made that claim, not me. So you are supposed to provide a source.

That's not official info. It's just an assumption made on the presentation of the demo. That demo was running on alpha dev kits. Alpha kits didn't even have the Jaguar CPU. Assuming things like final clock speed and OS reservation from that presentation is not official info.

So what is Your official info? And how those dev kits didnt have Jaguar CPUs?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Indeed, but what I suggested goes beyond upgrading. There was a time in PC gaming where high-end games were SO high-end that the most powerful PCs on the planet could not operate them at high levels of performance.

I suppose that's kind of interesting. Crysis was really the last time we've experience something like that and, even then, top rigs could still do it justice. If something were to push the limits to the point that even a 290x would be unable to handle it at a high framerate. Would be amazing to see even if nobody could really run it properly right now.

Top Bottom