• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watsons Malaysia under fire for 'blackface' Hari Raya ad

Saya

watsons-blackface.jpg

SINGAPORE: Watsons Malaysia has come under fire for using a "blackface" model in its Hari Raya commercial, Legenda Cun Raya, which featured Malaysian celebrities like Kamal Adli, Ruhainies and Uqasha Senrose.

The 15-minute video, which has since been pulled, tells the story of "princesses and beauties" trying to win the heart of a rich merchant. The merchant falls in love with one of the women after hearing her sing.

He is shocked when it turns out that the woman has dark skin, but all is well again after she "washes off" her face. The ad ends with the quote: "Only at Watson's you'll be beautiful."
In addition to labelling the ad racist and insensitive, people took to social media to slam it as “sexist” and “tasteless”.

Pulling the ad shortly after it went viral on Wednesday, Watsons Malaysia apologised for the video saying it was not their intention to offend. The company said the ad was about the legend of Dayang Senandong, which is a Malay folklore about a lady “cursed with black skin but blessed with a beautiful voice”.

Its statement added: “We stand firm on the belief that unity and fairness plays an important role, and we respect people from all nationalities. The video was shot to highlight the Legend and its moral values of inner beauty and that true love exists.”

Link

In the meantime, Watsons Malaysia has apologized twice:

First apology:

Watsons Malaysia is aware of the post that has been made viral on social media.

A post on 7th June 2017 regarding a video by Watsons talks about the legend of Dayang Senandong. The Legend of Dayang Senandong is a Malay folklore about a lady who was born cursed with black skin but blessed with a beautiful voice. The legend depicts that the king fell in love with Dayang Senandong because of her voice and inner beauty. The curse was lifted after Dayang Senandong gave birth to the king’s child.

We stand firm on the belief that unity and fairness plays an important role, and we respect people from all nationalities. The video was shot to highlight the Legend and its moral values of inner beauty and that true love exists. We are sorry that some of our fans feel offended by the video which was not our intention. We take feedback from our fans seriously.

Your continued support will be greatly appreciated and any feedbacks from you will help in improving our services.

Maaf Zahir dan Batin.

Thank you.

Second apology after people called them out on their non-apology:

18953000_10156179954349409_4144643981100520049_n.jpg

Volimar

He is shocked when it turns out that the woman has dark skin, but all is well again after she "washes off" her face. The ad ends with the quote: "Only at Watson's you'll be beautiful."

Holy shit what a bad decision. I mean....come on.

Dead Man

A post on 7th June 2017 regarding a video by Watsons talks about the legend of Dayang Senandong. The Legend of Dayang Senandong is a Malay folklore about a lady who was born cursed with black skin but blessed with a beautiful voice. The legend depicts that the king fell in love with Dayang Senandong because of her voice and inner beauty. The curse was lifted after Dayang Senandong gave birth to the king’s child.

That seems like a bad thing to include in an ad these days.

I always find it amazing how no one with any authority or say actually says anything about the ad in it's entire development process.

From conception to pitching it to development to post to release. No one thought "Huh, maybe we shouldn't run this?"

Apt101

So the little girl was meant to be an actual black person, like African? I'm confused because I don't know about that legend.

ItIsOkBro

Go to 9:30 in the video and be amazed that it is actually worse then it sounds. It even has scary monster reveal music.

Chuckie

So the little girl was meant to be an actual black person, like African? I'm confused because I don't know about that legend.

No I don't think so. But that is not really the problem here. The problem is the idea (that is unfortunately very common in countries like Malaysia and Indonesia) that a dark/black skin is uglier than a lighter/white skin. It has been that way for centuries (hence that legend) but that is not an excuse to perpetuate the idea in this day.

They should start making commercials over there that celebrate the diversity in skin color instead of that shit for whitener creams for instance.

jph139

Obviously not intended to be blackface or anything, but the optics are bad for sure.

How is dark skin "a curse"? The entire premise of that folklore is racist.

I mean, you look at a ton of cultures out there and blackness is associated with darkness and evil. The night is black, the night is scary, so black is scary. That sort of thing developed in cultures that were monoethnic so it's tough to call them racist.

Unfortunately that's trickled down into cultures favoring lighter skin over darker (even in societies we'd consider "black").

That seems like a bad thing to include in an ad these days.
Yes there are many things wrong with this. The biggest part being that in the commercial she washes the black away and then is declared beautiful. Not only does the commercial feature a racist legend, but the commercial completely fucks up the one possible redeeming quality of it, inner beauty.

Apt101

No I don't think so. But that is not really the problem here. The problem is the idea (that is unfortunately very common in countries like Malaysia and Indonesia) that a dark/black skin is uglier than a lighter/white skin. It has been that way for centuries (hence that legend) but that is not an excuse to perpetuate the idea in this day.

They should start making commercials over there that celebrate the diversity in skin color instead of that shit for whitener creams for instance.

Oh I agree with you, and point out that blackface is still a hurtful problem even in Europe (is it the Danes who dress up in blackface for some Christmas-related charatcer?). I was just asking about this particular character. Because if it was supposed to be a black person, I was like, why not just hire a black person and avoid an obvious PR nightmare.

Renekton

It really is shocking that a small Southeast Asian country would have racist tendencies.
Like you wouldn't believe.

Our ruling party's entire political platform is racism - ensuring the economy and political superiority of a specific ethnic group.

Dead Man

Yes there are many things wrong with this. The biggest part being that in the commercial she washes the black away and then is declared beautiful. Not only does the commercial feature a racist legend, but the commercial completely fucks up the one possible redeeming quality of it, inner beauty.
Yeah. Just really poor on every level.

Chuckie

Oh I agree with you, and point out that blackface is still a hurtful problem even in Europe (is it the Danes who dress up in blackface for some Christmas-related charatcer?). I was just asking about this particular character. Because if it was supposed to be a black person, I was like, why not just hire a black person and avoid an obvious PR nightmare.

No it is us...the Dutch. :/

Also I understand what you mean, but I don't think it would have made this a lot better. So you hire a black person, and then everybody in the commercial is scared and disgusted how ugly that person is and then you transform them to a lighter person (another actor?)

No matter how you play this. It is racist af.

Not intended to offend? Would love to know what they actually intended if that's the case.

The average Malaysian has no conception of blackface. While Malaysia is a pretty overtly racist country, I can buy the idea they genuinely didn't realise this would be offensive

Does Malaysia in general favor light skin tone over darker skin tone?

Women with fairer skin tones are generally considered more beautiful. Men with darker skin however tend not to have as much of an issue.

That said, racism in Malaysia manifests a bit differently. Racism is outright legislated, with the two major minority groups, the Chinese and Indians, having fewer rights than the Malay majority. Given how Chinese and Indians are generally fairer and darker than Malays respectively, racism is more based on your ethnic group than on your skin tone

Colorism is ubiquitous across most/all cultures and it fucking sucks.
This has been my experience as well. Among Cubans there's a huge range, depending on your background, from dark skinned with tightly curled hair to blonde with straight hair and blue eyes. And even though we are more in the middle of that spectrum, she thinks blonde blue eyed kids are the absolute prettiest...

Top Bottom