• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"If you’re black, you’ll never win anyone’s heart"

This is bullshit.

you know, people growing up and living in a different culture and country surrounded primarily by people of their own ethnicity can have a different way of thinking than we do in America.

I'm not justifying the commercial, but to dismiss their way of thinking by trying to use the way you think to put it in a box that works for you (which is obviously flawed) is ignorance as well.

Litan

you know, people growing up and living in a different culture and country surrounded primarily by people of their own ethnicity can have a different way of thinking than we do in America.

I'm not justifying the commercial, but to dismiss their way of thinking by trying to use the way you think to put it in a box that works for you (which is obviously flawed) is ignorance as well.
You are on some serious bullshit.

Nydius

Maybe South Sudanese model Naykim Gatwech's Uber driver was also responsible for this ad?

The Uber driver part is way down the article so here's the relevant part:

Earlier this year she took to Instagram to share her experience as a victim of colourism. She talked about her conversation with an Uber driver who asked the model if she would ever consider bleaching her skin.

“I was (asked by) my Uber driver the other day…’Don’t take this offensive but if you were given 10 thousand dollars would you bleach your skin for that amount?’ I couldn’t even respond I started laughing so hard. Then he said so that a no and I was like hell to the f****** yeah that a no, why on earth would I ever bleach this beautiful melanin, God bless me with”, she wrote on Instagram.

Litan

Ok, explain.
You attempts at saying this is classism, not racism. 'Things are different in Asia guys. Stop looking at it from an American perspective. ' The same shit you see in practically every race thread about something that happened outside of America.

Im sure any Asian who holds these kinds of ugly views about dark skin would be A-okay with black people if they immigrated to someplace like the US.

Does anyone know where the Watson Brand originates from?

I've only ever seen Watson pharmacies in Thailand and Hong Kong. none in korea, japan or taiwan, so, I'm assuming it maybe a European or Chinese brand?

You attempts at saying this is classism, not racism. 'Things are different in Asia guys. Stop looking at it from an American perspective. ' The same shit you see in practically every race thread about something that happened outside of America.

Im sure any Asian who holds these kinds of ugly views about dark skin would be A-okay with black people if they immigrated to someplace like the US.

I also said Asian racism stems from Classism which is true. To act like someone growing up in a different culture and society surrounded primarily by people that look like them will have a very different way of thinking as not factual is ignorance. then to expect our own values and thoughts against theres as if they should be aware of our values, thoughts and concepts, is just as ignorant as their lack of knowledge and understanding of where we are coming from.

any asian that holds those views wont neccessarily have the same view on black folks and to assume so is just as ignorant because you are only looking at it from your way of thinking. I mean, I know from first hand experience with tons of foreign asian chicks who believe the lighter their skin the better but A-okay with black guys.

Litan

Does anyone know where the Watson Brand originates from?

I've only ever seen Watson pharmacies in Thailand and Hong Kong. none in korea, japan or taiwan, so, I'm assuming it maybe a European or Chinese brand?

I also said Asian racism stems from Classism which is true. To act like someone growing up in a different culture and society surrounded primarily by people that look like them will have a very different way of thinking as not factual is ignorance. then to expect our own values and thoughts against theres as if they should be aware of our values, thoughts and concepts, is just as ignorant as their lack of knowledge and understanding of where we are coming from.
Good to know it's ignorant to expect people in homogenous societies to not look at brown and black people as ugly subhuman thrash IN 20-FUCKING-17.
any asian that holds those views wont neccessarily have the same view on black folks and to assume so is just as ignorant because you are only looking at it from your way of thinking. I mean, I know from first hand experience with tons of foreign asian chicks who believe the lighter their skin the better but A-okay with black guys.

That doesn't mean a damn thing. Plenty ra ist white women are okay with fucking black guys.
And forgive me if I take your claim of knowing "tons of asian chick" with those views with a grain of salt.
That's another thing you get a lot in these threads also. "I've got plenty of anecdotal evidence to support what I'm saying."

Good to know it's ignorant to expect people in homogenous societies to not look at brown and black people as ugly subhuman thrash IN 20-FUCKING-17.

its ignorant to act like they should have understood our version of racism and Americas idea of it.

If you live in an area that get foreign students that study/work in like the summer, you would experience it first hand. Asian people who prefer lighter skin and use these products but friendly and even dating black people.

also you saying what you said in your qoute is YOU saying that. I didnt say anything in your qoute. You are the one putting in the subhuman, etc.

That doesn't mean a damn thing. Plenty ra ist white women are okay with fucking black guys.
And forgive me if I take your claim of knowing "tons of asian chick" with those views with a grain of salt.
That's another thing you get a lot in these threads also. "I've got plenty of anecdotal evidence to support what I'm saying."

yea but now you're contradicting yourself because you said

so either they are A-okay with black people or they aren't.

Litan

its ignorant to act like they should have understood our version of racism and Americas idea of it.

If you live in an area that get foreign students that study/work in like the summer, you would experience it first hand. Asian people who prefer lighter skin and use these products but friendly and even dating black people.

also you saying what you said in your qoute is YOU saying that. I didnt say anything in your qoute. You are the one putting in the subhuman, etc.
Oh, so you didn't just say it's ignorant to expect people from Asia to not hold the kind of views expressed in the ad? Because they dont live in America? Okay.
You keep prefacing your posts with "I'm not trying to justify the ad" while justifying the ad.

I live in Bad Newz Va, about 20 minutes from Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. Busch gardens, since I was a child, had international students come to work for them every year. Students from thailand, korea, Poland, russia, etc.

Ive worked there all my teen years. Kings Mill right next to it does the samething and I worked there for a ton of years. So Im constantly interacting and getting to know and sometimes dating these chicks along with my friends and co-workers over the course if many years.

furthermore I've been to Thailand 5 times (first time was for 2 months and each other time was for a few weeks), S. korea 3 times, Hong kong and Macau twice, taipei and tokyo once.

thats why I say a ton of experience. I know that shit sounds cliche on this forum, I agree its anecdotal, but its also real world experience and I dont disagree its anecdotal.

Oh, so you didn't just say it's ignorant to expect people from Asia to not hold the kind of views expressed in the ad? Because they dont live in America? Okay.
You keep prefacing your posts with "I'm not trying to justify the ad" while justifying the ad.

I said its ignorant to act like they should know because of reasons. I said that line of thinking is flawed. But if they dont think the way I think, I cant act like they should have in the first place.

roknin

...bruh.

I mean well damn.

What, did they not want to add some watermelon and chicken to the ad too? I mean go all the way if you're gonna go that far.

Sweet Jesus.

You understand dating someone doesn't generally stop you from being racist. Fetishizing a group of people you are bigoted towards is extremely common.

of course. But he was saying they wouldnt be A-okay with black folks. I was just responding to that comment in particular.

So, if you hold racist views about black people but are okay with fucking them, you're A-Okay with them?

listen Ive seen first hand them being A-okay with someone of color and not fucking them, just being friends.

did I delve into their soul and know for sure? No. of course not. But it didnt come off as bullshit. But I also understand the concept of someone being brought up in another culture and ideals and seeing things a certain way and how they could be ignorant to how I may see things due to lack of knowledge and personal experience.

You the one acting like Im saying it aint racist. It's obviously racist. But from their point of view, its classism. and their racism stems from it.

which is why i said the racism stems from classism. Its why this exists in countries like Jamaica.

...bruh.

I mean well damn.

What, did they not want to add some watermelon and chicken to the ad too? I mean go all the way if you're gonna go that far.

Sweet Jesus.

I highly doubt they even are aware of that stereotype

Litan

listen Ive seen first hand them being A-okay with someone of color and not fucking them, just being friends.

did I delve into their soul and know for sure? No. of course not. But it didnt come off as bullshit. But I also understand the concept of someone being brought up in another culture and ideals and seeing things a certain way and how they could be ignorant to how I may see things due to lack of knowledge and personal experience.

You the one acting like Im saying it aint racist. It's obviously racist. But from their point of view, its classism. and their racism stems from it.

which is why i said the racism stems from classism. Its why this exists in countries like Jamaica.

So you know a bunch of people who think like this:
Looks of disgust. Women covering their faces. A king eyeing his black suitor with displeasure. He then exclaims ‘Oh my Gosh!’ as he looks on in disbelief.
It shows a woman, ‘cursed’ with having dark skin, who aspires to win over the king and be chosen from a retinue of white women. The king initially rejects her, as her black skin is unacceptable in the palace.
‘I’m not black, in fact I am flawless,’ the girl tells him.
But who are all friendly and shit with black people? Okay.

They're damn well aware. Dont make me post examples.

So you know a bunch of people who think like this:

But who are all friendly and shit with black people? Okay.

They're damn well aware. Dont make me post examples.

so you just took an example which was a commercial made out of ignorance and are now saying it applies to all of their people. whos being racist and ignorant?

people might prefer their skin to be lighter but they might not think the way this commercial portrays it.

is it racism? yes. but is it stemming from classism? yes.

secondly again, cultural differences are a thing. I dont know how much more I can explain that. If you dont believe it, then I cant change your mind. Goto another country and experience it for yourself. Goto a country where they don't speak your language. Your values, ideals, and beliefs become just that. Yours only for the most part.

please post examples. from my experience a ton of people from other countries dont get american stereotypes until someone from america explains it to them.

This is racist as hell. GROSS.

I'm saying that as an asian girl who knows the brand (watson is big in HK).

Sure, it's classism but it is also racist in all of its definitions. ALL OF IT.

Just because asians live in more 'homogenous' society within multitudes of mostly only other fellow asians, doesnt make this not racist.

I've got a few cousins who's all like "Bet all black people would love to be white if they can magically do so!"

Trust me, in their heads, they think of black people as 'regretful' or 'pitiful' and 'ugly' and they think stuff like 'who would like being born that way' and all other OBVIOUSLY gross and racist thoughts.

(I do not talk to some of my cousins anymore)

Verelios

Man, I just feel like I'm surrounded and caged in by racists and assholes these days.

Was there really no one in production who took a moment and said 'hey, this is pretty messed up'?

I just ignore people that make excuses for this bullshit. They like you got to understand where they come from. I find that funny when nobody wants to understand blacks. So I don't give a fuck if you dont like black people fuck you too. What I find funny they hate black so much yet their hair fucking black. lol

no one said you GOT to understand. but fighting ignorance with ignorance doesnt work. We see that in effect in America all the time. No one ever said they don't need to understand where blacks are coming from. I even pointed out their own ignorance.

Mister Wolf

You can trace these same caste system ways wherever European colonization took place. It always the same story no different than America. I type in Malaysia read the history and see British Empire and it all makes sense.

Litan

so you just took an example which was a commercial made out of ignorance and are now saying it applies to all of their people. whos being racist and ignorant?

people might prefer their skin to be lighter but they might not think the way this commercial portrays it.

secondly again, cultural differences are a thing. I dont know how much more I can explain that. If you dont believe it, then I cant change your mind.

please post examples. from my experience a ton of people from other countries dont get american stereotypes until someone from america explains it to them.
What are you talking about? When did I say all Asians are racist?

And look for examples yourself. I can't be bothered to do all that shit on mobile right now.
Apparently you think people in Asian are oblivious to negative black stereogypes.

What are you talking about? When did I say all Asians are racist?

imgres

imgres

imgres

that was one thing in reference to watermelon. I doubt the majority of them know about the chicken and watermelon stereotype.

the others I've seen. And honestly, the former (with the washing machine) to me is more offensive than what's in the OP.

Verelios

no one said you GOT to understand. but fighting ignorance with ignorance doesnt work. We see that in effect in America all the time. No one ever said they don't need to understand where blacks are coming from. I even pointed out their own ignorance.
Pretty sure we've been trying to educate racists and conservatives since the civil war in America with little to no success. So, fighting ignorance with education isn't working out.

No it's like changing a Trump supporter mind it's not going to work. They believe what they see on tv and think all blacks like that. Why should we go out our way to explain.

So you are saying Asians are like Trump supporters? You can't even compare the two.

Pretty sure, you can change their mind through personal experience. i've experienced this first hand. Giving someone exposure to something they might not know about goes a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jBtXJsKKz4

Even Lord Jamar understands that cultural differences are a thing.

Jimrpg

I know this is hard to imagine - but people are literally years behind in development. To give you an example, where I live at the moment out in eastern part of Malaysia peninsula, they may be 30-40 years behind in something as simple as housing development. Like their houses are straight up not as good as the houses in Australia where I used to live.

I just went to one of my staff's family home for lunch, she still lives in an old village house, not even a modern brick house. It had a tin roof with holes and gaps between the walls, the floor boards bend when you walk over them. The house is on stilts. They have a huge 50" LCD TV, with beautiful crockery and cutlery for lunch, but some things are still old.

Socially they are probably behind too. There are three main races, Malays, Chinese, Indians. There are no black people here, but if you are really dark, then people assume you work out in the sun earning a low wage, if you're really fair like the royal family, then you work inside and you're rich and prosperous. The Watson's ad takes it way too far and is stupid and racist. That they say they don't know, is that they probably though it was diet racism (except its not) and was expecting some social media controversy and clicks and views.

If there are Malaysians here I don't mean to offend. As someone who has lived in Australia and Malaysia, I just want people to understand countries are different. With the internet, people assume that other people from other countries are very much alike, but in all honesty when you spend long enough in both countries they really aren't. Even race relations in Australia compared to the US are very different. There is still some very awkward treatment of Aboriginies in Australia still.

And I'm not in any way an apologist for that shit Watson's ad. That shit is a stain on society. But people in the US shouldn't expect that other countries are at the same level of development societal or otherwise. Heck some of our malay staff here put on whitening face cream on for makeup.

Still not going out my way to explain. Blacks been doing it to white people for decades now Asians nope. It's not my job nor do I care if they understand me. Black people are the most hated race in the world at the end of the day.

So in your mind, asians are racist to blacks when they goto their country (which they aren't to the extent you may seem to think they are).

but you ARE aware that blacks AND whites are racist to asians who come to this country?

ignorance vs ignorance is stupid.

Some context:

- Malaysia is not homogeneous; it's a multi racial country consisting of three primary races; Malays, Chinese and Indians, as well as indigenous peoples, who are commonly grouped under the umbrella of Malay

- Malaysia is a deeply racist country, and is one of the few countries on Earth with clear, legislated racism

- That said, racism is primarily manifest through tensions between the three races. Malays are the majority race, and hold most political power. The Chinese are the second largest race but are also the favourite scapegoats of Malay nationalists. Indians are the third largest race, but whose power and representation has been dwindling slowly due to their smaller numbers. If you want to look at this through a spectrum of skin tones, Malays are brownish, Chinese are fair and Indians are dark skinned.

- When Malaysians think of racism, it's through the context of the three races in Malaysia, as well as racist laws and political ideas, such as Ketuanan Melayu (Malay Supremacy).

- That said, most Malaysians racists views about Westerners due to the kind of exposure they get. Most Malaysians will never see a white person outside of Hollywood movies, and potentially highly paid expats at global companies. There is thus a perception of white people are superior because literally the only white people most Malaysians see are action movie stars or really rich dudes.

- Similarly, most black people Malaysians encounter are through popular media, which basically filters down to rappers and villains of the week in cop shows.

Welp ... That's some shit

This is racist as hell. GROSS.

I'm saying that as an asian girl who knows the brand (watson is big in HK).

Sure, it's classism but it is also racist in all of its definitions. ALL OF IT.

Just because asians live in more 'homogenous' society within multitudes of mostly only other fellow asians, doesnt make this not racist.

I've got a few cousins who's all like "Bet all black people would love to be white if they can magically do so!"

Trust me, in their heads, they think of black people as 'regretful' or 'pitiful' and 'ugly' and they think stuff like 'who would like being born that way' and all other OBVIOUSLY gross and racist thoughts.

(I do not talk to some of my cousins anymore)

This needs to be read. We should stop trying to look over racism in Asian lands by acting like they're children and "don't know any better and didn't really mean it!".

C4Lukins

And people call Americans racists...

They made that female blacker then the blackest human ever. And the response from the king or whatever, the general fear....

We have a long way to go as humans.

Noctix

Imagine living here.

I lived in pakistan. You might think this ad is a joke but it happens so much in subcontental regions where if the girl is darker skin color its harder for her to get married. (dating wasn't a concept back then).

Holy god damn. The level of racism in that add is kinda hard to believe. Like its not even subtle about it, its just out there and blatant.

I'm going through 5 pages, and I don't see anyone mentioning it, so I'll bring it up.

There's a reason people are saying classism playing a part in this. In China, at least, lighter skin is more desirable due to it being a sign of being wealthy. Wealthy people don't have to toil under the sun, and can afford to stay in doors. Peasants have darker skin because they work long hours under the sun.

This goes back thousands of years as I recall. Way before colonialism.

I'm not saying the ad isn't racist, but there's definitely more context to this. It's also possible for one Chinese to look down on another Chinese due to them being darker skinned. My own cousin (girl) always kept saying how pale my skin looks. What she doesn't realize is I live in cold temperatures, so my body is heavily covered in clothing 50% of the year. She lives in a city that's hot 80% of the time, so of course her skin is slightly darker than mine. She's silly and ignorant, but she's not being racist, at least not towards me.

Though classism and racism aren't mutually exclusive.

Jimrpg

Welp ... That's some shit

This needs to be read. We should stop trying to look over racism in Asian lands by acting like they're children and "don't know any better and didn't really mean it!".

I don't think anyone is overlooking the issue here, but by all means please come over to Asia and help with the racism issue.

When people say they don't know any better, that's exactly what it means. I'll give you some more examples.

- People here don't wear seatbelts. Over 92% don't. Yet in Australia 96% of people wear seatbelts.

- Many people don't wear helmets on Motorbikes, lots of families carry babies and kids on motorbikes and scooters.

When people don't know, they really don't know and when its an entire population, I don't have a solution anymore. Whether its road safety or racism or whatever, people need to be educated but I don't think it starts with "Oh its 2017 these people should know better."

Skux

You think racism is bad in the west, it's a clusterfuck over in Asia. People are literally bleaching their skin over there.

Top Bottom