• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making black people in character creators can be hard most of the time.

ItIsOkBro

What I want to know is even when there's some kind of skin tone selector going on, why 'black' almost always tops out at like medium brown.

Sunset overdrive, while having very limited options, is one of the few that do black women justice.

Saints row 3/4 can make somewhat decent black faces too.

Ive yet to make a black person in souls that didnt at best look somalian.

Afrocious

What I want to know is even when there's some kind of skin tone selector going on, why 'black' almost always tops out at like medium brown.

I know right? Another one is how the hell does it make sense to have darker skin with splotches of green and purple in the face?

Fallout 3 and New Vegas why

As for that comment about making a default character and throwing a helmet on her/him, I could do that but fashion souls is the only souls

I think, outside of the hairstyles, Bloodborne does a decent job of letting you create black characters. Dark Souls... not as much. Mass Effect also does a better job than most games. Probably one of the better examples out there.

But yeah, hairstyles for black people in most games that let you create characters are severely lacking. It's annoying.

tumblr_o6eo9fYAGx1qep3h6o5_1280.jpg

Someone's character from Tumblr. Dark Souls 3

Toxi

Banned
I've just started a new playthrough of Dark Souls 3. I've made a black woman and a black man, with the man being my second character. I'll say it's easier to make black characters in Dark Souls 3 than Bloodborne, specifically black women.
LOL, I had the opposite experience, though part of it might be that Dark Souls 3's defaults are so fucking wretched you have to go through a lot just to get them looking human.

(I also spent a lot less time creating a character in Dark Souls 3 just because it's my first playthrough and I wanted to get into the game)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I definitely feel you. Usually you end up with a character in blackface.

One series I could always make amazing black people in, was Mass Effect. Heck, actually Bioware games in general I have had good success.

My FemShep that I took through the trilogy:

Dragon Age Inquisition I also thought the CC was great.

My dude:

Walpurgis

Banned
I was watching my brother make a character on NBA 2k14 and it was crazy. I had never seen anything like it. There were just so many options for black characters. Unfortunately the graphics were hot shite but wow. If devs are struggling with ideas or something, there is a ton of material to copy.

Wow. I think I would actually pay this person to make characters for me.

Audioboxer

As a white person this is something that didn't even occur to me until I read that Narcisse article a while ago and I feel like it really opened my eyes. Like its bad enough that there aren't many black protags but even when you can customise one they're half assed.

Yup.

Customisation is utterly dreadful in some games and it really is quite unacceptable.

Especially some of the hair options for black characters.

Walpurgis

Banned
This just tells me that every single person on that dev team is white. I find it hard to believe that it is on our purpose because it's so bizarre so it has to be ignorance. It's sad that the publishers let it through and console manufacturers certify this BS.

Drain You

It's super impressive that you pulled that off as well as you did. He looks like a badass and I'd roll with him any day.

Thats one of the best looking black characters I've seen. Actually doesn't look like you made it in a character creator.

I have a hard time making anyone in these things. I usually fiddle for like 20 minutes, end up frustrated, decide I don't care, and just go with the default female character. Otherwise I always nitpick every little detail.

Audioboxer

This just tells me that every single person on that dev team is white. I find it hard to believe that it is on our purpose because it's so bizarre so it has to be ignorance. It's sad that the publishers let it through and console manufacturers certify this BS.

Yeah I've noticed that in some games. I find it incredibly strange as a white guy. Devs really should get asked more about this.

I like to create avatars slightly like myself so I feel the pain of those black gamers trying to do the same. Not going to lie it would probably put me off some games. As sad as some may say I am I like to take a lot of time in character creators.

DedValve

Banned

Why are there no face codes?

Ever since ME2 I feel like face codes should be a standard in every game with CC.

I enjoy dicking around in the CC as much as the next guy but when it comes down to it I really don't want to spend the time it takes to make a decent character.

I did do it for Bloodborne. I really liked the way she came out. Lemme see if I can post it here.

Walpurgis

Banned
Did you know not all black people have large lips and large noses depending on which African country their family is from?

That may make it easier. Also that 2nd image looks offensive.
As one of those people that you are referring to, let me just say that we still have issues with character creators. Sometimes we're too dark for the character creator and often times the hair selection for men is severely limited. Like 90% of the men from the horn of Africa keep their hair short so only one shaved/bald hairstyle for us all to share isn't going to cut it, not even close. Also, sometimes the character creator has strange colours for the hands/feet of people with dark skin. There are also lots of other problems that affect us as detailed in this thread. All together, it is more than enough to make me feel unwelcome.

While it is true that we don't suffer the same issues, that's really just a coincidence (since we are not well known at all). Consider this:

1. Most of these games are made in the U.S.
2. The U.S. is at least 12% black.
3. In the U.S., black just means West African descent.

Therefore, an insult to West Africans is an insult to blacks is an insult to me. So if you ever get unbanned, please study this topic, stop trying to divide us and please don't crap on someone pushing for something that would benefit us all.

Top Bottom