• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB accuses The Rock of leaking false Black Adam financial data to the media

feynoob

Good
spiderman-japanese.gif

Rock

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Him and his wife supposedly do all kinds of bizarre stuff like this behind the scenes. I believe she is his manager, and Henry Cavill has the same manager.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What a shitshow. Can't believe he convinced WB to spend almost 300 million into this.
I wanted this movie to succeed and be good, but the more you see and the more boring it is. Too bad as this is a big missed opportunity.

Now watch Shazam 2 be very profitable. The Rock is gonna melt.

jakinov

Read the original article or even this article. WB did not accuse the rock of leaking misleading data. They think the rock of leaked the data which a guy outside of WB thinks is basically too optimistic. But he thinks the movie will eventually profit anyways. His contention is that he thinks the article shouldn’t have been written because its nothing to brag about and the numbers in his opinion are too high.

Some of the numbers are obviously estimates/projections. Some of these numbers are likely already set in stone like streaming licensing and retail. Digital isn’t inventory based and linear TV deals likely haven’t happened yet except maybe a HBO deal.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Phew, hopefully that cemented a DC future without him. I enjoy his films, but he doesnt need to be in any more DC ones.

SJRB

Gold Member
This guy is fucking done. He had his little movie, it didn't do what they hoped it would, it's over.

You can't have a loose canon like this running around.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Johnson refuted these claims, however, comparing Black Adam's earnings to those of Marvel Studios' Captain America: The First Avenger, which pulled $370 million. "Waited to confirm with financiers before I shared this excellent #BlackAdam news - our film will PROFIT between $52M-$72M. Fact," Johnson tweeted. "At almost $400M worldwide we are building our new franchise step by step (first Captain America did $370M) for the DC future."
I never knew movie scripts also had pages of forecasted profitability spreadsheets.

The Rock knows everything in life. Including how to be the same Rock character in every movie and wrestling match he's in.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The movie was garbage personified and seeing it floundering and flopping about gives me hope for humanity.

Urban

I heard he had a clause which said that he can’t loose a fight?
Plus he didn’t want a Shazam cameo ?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I posted in the BA thread this week because we just watched it. As far as Super Hero movies go it's ok. It's too long, full of the same stuff that you've seen a hundred times before (like all super hero movies), etc.
But I'm not sure why it's getting so much hate.

The Rock's reaction is pretty interesting though, I didn't realise his production company had been involved in so many of his movies for so long. I wonder if this is his ego taking a bruising or him worrying about reputational damage to his production company, who presumably were very much a part of setting the budget.

Alternatively, I can imagine a situation where he's not all that involved or interested in any of it and is just repeating something that was said to him.

Interestingly The Rock's production company's first feature (as far as I've looked), Baywatch, was considered a poor performer, but only because the budget was set too high.

Perhaps this is a recurring theme with them and this is something The Rock feels he's got to publicly defend.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
It's not a smart move to openly criticize the (only?) person who firmly believe in this project to the very beginning, or even earlier (because of his interest, WB started the project) , and put every effort to promote the movie, WB wouldn't have had the same impact with another actor. You can think The Rock is a bad actor, but I mean, he's The Rock, one of the most paid actor of this era, every movie he's in is a blockbuster.

Maybe Dwayne Johnson don't want to be associated to a fiasco for his career, that's the reason why he was quick to reply to those who said the movie was a flop.

People need to realize that we got extremely lucky with bautista.

Bautista isn't a bad actor, IMHO I think he's very good.
At least, he always try different roles, see Dune, GotG, Knives Out, the latest Shyamalan's movie, etc.

The Rock basically plays himself in every movie.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Aw nice, fantastic. I've seen 402 movies this year, and Black Adam was absolutely the worst one. Such an unforgivably dogshit movie. Here's a taste of the horrid CGI.
DqCQLfn.png
200.gif

But seriously I don’t want to see this movie. You have convinced me not to.

GymWolf

It's not a smart move to openly criticize the (only?) person who firmly believe in this project to the very beginning, or even earlier (because of his interest, WB started the project) , and put every effort to promote the movie, WB wouldn't have had the same impact with another actor. You can think The Rock is a bad actor, but I mean, he's The Rock, one of the most paid actor of this era, every movie he's in is a blockbuster.

Maybe Dwayne Johnson don't want to be associated to a fiasco for his career, that's the reason why he was quick to reply to those who said the movie was a flop.

Bautista isn't a bad actor, IMHO I think he's very good.
At least, he always try different roles, see Dune, GotG, Knives Out, the latest Shyamalan's movie, etc.

The Rock basically plays himself in every movie.
This is why i said that we were lucky with him.

FunkMiller

What’s not a smart move is to bankroll a superhero movie about a character nobody gives a shit about, purely to feed one man’s ego.

I hope to christ Gunn and Safran really are sweeping the decks clean of all this stupidity, and starting again from scratch.

Mistake

Dwayne johnson can only play dwayne johnson. If they hired anyone else for the lead role, I might have cared. The kid in the movie was also bad. Having him do the intro was a mistake

Top Bottom