• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jusy have to say yep. Taking out grains and gmo from your diet and replacing them with more fruits veggies is a great idea. Then eat some higher quality meat.

I dont understand why fruits and veggies can't be "gmo." Or why that would necessarily be bad. Meat could also be genetically modified.

A better question would be along the lines of "how can I make vegetables taste better?!" :p

Slather them in spice.

Well fat around the belly is a good indicator for males. Also insulin resistance can be reversed, called increasing your insulin sensitivity with exercise and diet. Insulin resistance is also a scale and not binary.

I've been significantly underweight for like 12 years. :/

itxaka

Defeatist
How can you cut sugar ingestion when everything in the usa is made with freaking syrup and high fructose syrup.

Seriously, one of the bigger shcok of my life in my travel to usa was seeing how way too many things have syrup as a component, if no the main one.

Also, portions are huge. wtf is up with that, no wonder people get fat if they are used to those portions, my god.

Dash27

I'm not a big veg eater, what can i replace it with?

I would try enhance rather than replace. Remember that according to Taubes (and many others) fat is fine, in fact good. So add butter. Wrap asparagus in bacon. I like to drizze olive oil on my broccoli and bake it so it's kind of crispy.

entremet

Just plain false. And the amazing thing is people believe calories don't matter. It's the only thing that matters. Not hormones.

Totally incorrect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/m...been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

I dont understand why fruits and veggies can't be "gmo." Or why that would necessarily be bad. Meat could also be genetically modified.

Slather them in spice.

I've been significantly underweight for like 12 years. :/

You're probably very insulin sensitive. Lucky you ;)

If you want to gain weight in a healthy manner increase your protein intake and do resistance exercise. It will take time, though.

I would try enhance rather than replace. Remember that according to Taubes (and many others) fat is fine, in fact good. So add butter. Wrap asparagus in bacon. I like to drizze olive oil on my broccoli and bake it so it's kind of crispy.

This. I grow my own Rosemary and Thyme and add them to my vegetables in a pan with butter and a bit of Cayenne pepper. So good!

Mook1e

Fuck, but I love rice, pasta, bread and chocolate D:.
My belief is that people don't understand that the cycle can be broken and then you basically get a clean slate. You can become healthy and fit enough through a combination of exercise and proper eating habits that your body becomes a calorie burning machine to the point you can eat carbs without suffering catastrophic effects.
Or maybe I'm just a calorie burning machine. I was moving towards sloth status for a few years and turned it around rather quickly with Body-for-life initially followed by an addiction to exercise.
I'm now to the point I eat whatever the hell I want and I look like a gd super hero at almost 40 years old.

Mook1e

Olive oil and sea salt baked brussel sprouts are amazing. My kids only eat them that way.

RedCoyote

I haven't read it yet, but I've been recommended a book called The China Study, which I was told is about case studies over the years observing long-term health effects with varying diets. The professor who recommended it pointed out that diets high in protein (specifically meat) are heavily promoting heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

I'm going by memory here, haven't read it yet, but I think it'll be worth investigating. Do understand that not all fats/calories/proteins/carbohydrates are the same (there there's only 1 cholesterol, just in different densities, low density being the bad one).

Zaptruder

Banned
Calories totally matter.

But other factors in your body can affect the percentage of food calories digested and converted into energy for your body...

And can also affect how much of that energy can turn into fat if it goes unused.

Dash27

Just plain false. And the amazing thing is people believe calories don't matter. It's the only thing that matters. Not hormones.

You should read his book. You dont have to believe it, but it's very compelling. Another article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html

What was done by Dr. Ludwig’s team has never been done before. First they took obese subjects and effectively semi-starved them until they’d lost 10 to 15 percent of their weight. Such weight-reduced subjects are particularly susceptible to gaining the weight back.

Dr. Ludwig’s team then measured how many calories these weight-reduced subjects expended daily, and that’s how many they fed them. But now the subjects were rotated through three very different diets, one month for each. They ate the same amount of calories on all three, equal to what they were expending after their weight loss, but the nutrient composition of the diets was very different.

One diet was low-fat and thus high in carbohydrates. This was the diet we’re all advised to eat: whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean sources of protein. One diet had a low glycemic index: fewer carbohydrates in total, and those that were included were slow to be digested — from beans, non-starchy vegetables and other minimally processed sources. The third diet was Atkins, which is very low in carbohydrates and high in fat and protein.

¶ The results were remarkable. Put most simply, the fewer carbohydrates consumed, the more energy these weight-reduced people expended. On the very low-carbohydrate Atkins diet, there was virtually no metabolic adaptation to the weight loss. These subjects expended, on average, only 100 fewer calories a day than they did at their full weights. Eight of the 21 subjects expended more than they did at their full weights — the opposite of the predicted metabolic compensation.

¶ On the very low-carbohydrate diet, Dr. Ludwig’s subjects expended 300 more calories a day than they did on the low-fat diet and 150 calories more than on the low-glycemic-index diet. As Dr. Ludwig explained, when the subjects were eating low-fat diets, they’d have to add an hour of moderate-intensity physical activity each day to expend as much energy as they would effortlessly on the very-low-carb diet. And this while consuming the same amount of calories. If the physical activity made them hungrier — a likely assumption — maintaining weight on the low-fat, high-carb diet would be even harder.

DBT85

My problem is that in the psace of 2 minutes I can go take some bread and some fillings and make a sandwich that fills me up and tastes nice.

What do you low carby people have in your fridge/cupboards than you can nom with little prep.

EG, I work 7-7 so I eat breakfast at work. I have no time or facilities at work to prepare anything and my equipment list is a toaster and a microwave and some dangerously blunt knives.

Dinners are less of an issue, we've been bulking up on the chicken/turkey/meat and not bothering with the pasta/rice for the most part for a while.

I don't have a weakness, I love all bad food equally. Crisps, sweets, biscuits, cookies fat Coke etc etc. I have on occasion sat here at work on a quiet day and shoved back upto 7000 calories. I felt like shit, but I kept doing it day after day. Then I'd feel bad and stop for a week, maybe 4 days and then I had to go back to the shop for something else and it started again.

Fortunately at 6'1" I only went up to 108.5KG (239lb) despite doing this for years.

Something happened a few weeks back that disgusted myself and since then I've been 98% behaved outside of the bread/rice/pasta stuff. I've dropped 5kg (11lb) so far but clearly have a long way to go. Every day is a struggle, every shopping trip is painful but I'm doing my best.

I'd love to go low carb, I know that it's the way to go, but I loves me some bread and porridge and pasta and rice.

Now that I get Grade A chicken breasts at £3.50 a KG it's also a bit cheaper than it was before!

Dash27

I'm gonna eat 1000g of carbs today to make up for all you low carbers.

Pfft sissy carbs I bet. I'll be eating steak and bacon!

Actually, and ironically, I think we're having spaghetti tonight lol. But I'll mostly eat meatballs and the hunks of steak cooked into the sauce. God that's good.

What's the difference between grains and refined grains? In easy to understand terms.

Besides sugars, what's good to avoid for weight loss? I don't understand carbs well or what has a lot of carbs which I think is probably what's keeping me from avoiding them. Everyone tells me to but I literally would be need a list of the foods with the most carbs...also, what do they do to the body that leads to so much weight gain? I'm sure my super slow metabolism also doesn't help.

gcubed

My problem is that in the psace of 2 minutes I can go take some bread and some fillings and make a sandwich that fills me up and tastes nice.

What do you low carby people have in your fridge/cupboards than you can nom with little prep.

EG, I work 7-7 so I eat breakfast at work. I have no time or facilities at work to prepare anything and my equipment list is a toaster and a microwave and some dangerously blunt knives.

Dinners are less of an issue, we've been bulking up on the chicken/turkey/meat and not bothering with the pasta/rice for the most part for a while.

I don't have a weakness, I love all bad food equally. Crisps, sweets, biscuits, cookies fat Coke etc etc. I have on occasion sat here at work on a quiet day and shoved back upto 7000 calories. I felt like shit, but I kept doing it day after day. Then I'd feel bad and stop for a week, maybe 4 days and then I had to go back to the shop for something else and it started again.

Fortunately at 6'1" I only went up to 108.5KG (239lb) despite doing this for years.

Something happened a few weeks back that disgusted myself and since then I've been 98% behaved outside of the bread/rice/pasta stuff. I've dropped 5kg (11lb) so far but clearly have a long way to go. Every day is a struggle, every shopping trip is painful but I'm doing my best.

I'd love to go low carb, I know that it's the way to go, but I loves me some bread and porridge and pasta and rice.

Now that I get Grade A chicken breasts at £3.50 a KG it's also a bit cheaper than it was before!

category-1.jpg

you can do a ton with this with just hot water.

when i was working out every day and lost a decent amount of weight i also cut out dairy, which made me feel so much better (and skin too)

Iph

Banned
So then is the main problem carbs, or high amounts of processed sugar? If someone were to cut out processed sugar but still eat noodles/rice/breads should they expect to lose weight?

Out of curiosity, why is dairy considered cheating?

Lactose is milk sugar basically. It is also a bit acidic. And not a natural part of a "hunter-gatherer" diet.

Dash27

This is a hugely important point, IMO. Eating bad food is cheaper and much more convenient. Eating the way I want to requires cooking, time and effort, and costs more. Especially if you start getting really food snobbish and only want free range chicken eggs an organic no hormone grass fed beef and all that shit.

I dont have any really good answers other than to say you're right it does take more effort. Convenience is one of the reasons our foods are processed and filled with preservatives and sweeteners.

Personally I'm trying to take more of an interest in cooking. Making more time to go food shopping too.

xenist

What happened to just eating less of everything and exercising a bit? Worked for me. I lost 40 pounds just by walking each day and eating smaller portions. I didn't give up anything either. I eat pasta, I take my coffee with sugar, I drink alcohol, I eat dairy products, I eat fried foods. I'm not going to the gym or following any sort of rigid exercise regimen. Zero sacrifices. Just a tiny bit of discipline and common sense.

According to all these advocates for weird diets I'm doing the wrong thing. Yet I'm still losing weight and my health is the best it's been since I was a teenager.

I was a super skinny child but once puberty kicked in I exploded. I spent my teens, my twenties and the early part of my thirties being miserable, out of shape and overweight. I kept looking into and trying all sorts of stuff. For a long while I even retreated to the "It's hormonal it's not my fault, it's my metabolism!" Bullshit. Once I realized that I was running out of breath while tying by boots it just clicked. Losing weight was so easy I'm actrually pissed at myself for being such a lazy asshole.

upandaway

Oh man, first I ever hear of this stuff.

Anyway to understand this right from the last page, the carb intake is generally.. irrelevant? It's the sugar that matters?

So the "solution" would be low carb+low sugar -> only low sugar after a while? Not sure I get this.

Also question, for this kinda setup, how much danger is there for "one-offs"? Like uh, for example.. say.. eating a lot of pizza once in a long while. In some diets I hear it's a lot more catastrophic than others.

V_Arnold

What happened to just eating less of everything and exercising a bit? Worked for me. I lost 40 pounds just by walking each day and eating smaller portions. I didn't give up anything either. I eat pasta, I take my coffee with sugar, I drink alcohol, I eat dairy products, I eat fried foods. I'm not going to the gym or following any sort of rigid exercise regimen. Zero sacrifices. Just a tiny bit of discipline and common sense.

According to all these advocates for weird diets I'm doing the wrong thing. Yet I'm still losing weight and my health is the best it's been since I was a teenager.

It is important to recognize that while all these books and studies can be free to contradict each other in various different ways, what works for you works for you.

If it works for you, good for you. I lost 12+kg by NOT losing sugar as part of my diet but simply starting to work out regularly, and eating less.

Then, I did not drop more than 2-3kg but gained a lot of muscle by dropping meat and white bread completely and eating various beans, nuts, seeds and fruits/vegetables every day. And I still manage to sneak in chocolate into this (which is less than optimal, but I also train every day.). The second part of my dietary change was not needed, as I already felt great after getting into better shape, yet I do not regret doing so.

People have different metabolisms. For some, "heating up the engine" is way more important at first than any changes in diet. Then, for some, their digestion is so messed up that a complete change is necessery to move forward. Etc.

Seguin

Banned
Also question, for this kinda setup, how much danger is there for "one-offs"? Like uh, for example.. say.. eating a lot of pizza once in a long while. In some diets I hear it's a lot more catastrophic than others.

do you think you would lose weight if you had a shitty diet all the time but had one healthy meal a week?

alejob

The bullet points:

- We dont get fat because we eat more. We eat more because we get fat.

- Calories in and out is largely irrelevant.

You know, some people tend to over analyze some things. I'll probably will grilled for this but simple laws of physics tell me this is wrong!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I pretty much eat carbs all day but I burn so many calories that it doesn't really make a difference. Yay for high metabolisms. My favorite meal is white rice with sugar piled on top of it.

nilbog21

Banned
It's not that simple. Even Taubes mentions.

The issue is insulin resistance. Asian cultures do eat a lot of rice, but they don't develop insulin resistance as much as Western populations because traditionally there is little refined sugar in their diet. Fruit is probably the only source; I'm not taking about modern Asian diets, as they are getting bigger as well as they adopt Western eating preferences.

Westerners developed insulin resistance at a much higher rate because sugar is in virtually everything, even ''healthy'' foods such as granola, yogurt, etc.

It matters, but humans aren't bomb calorimeters. There are hormonal issues at play and Taubes delves into this. This person ate more calories and improved body composition, along with exercise, she removed refined grains and sugars.

155-lbs-before-and-after.jpg

Is this a joke picture lol

Dash27

What's the difference between grains and refined grains? In easy to understand terms.

Besides sugars, what's good to avoid for weight loss? I don't understand carbs well or what has a lot of carbs which I think is probably what's keeping me from avoiding them. Everyone tells me to but I literally would be need a list of the foods with the most carbs...also, what do they do to the body that leads to so much weight gain? I'm sure my super slow metabolism also doesn't help.

Steel cut oats, quinoa, amaranth, long grain brown rice ... all grains.

A bagel, loaf of whole grain bread, cereal, pasta, flour ... all refined grains.

You're probably a little better off with the former, but they all signal insulin production, and we know insulin is linked to fat storage.

Another guy who I enjoy reading is Michael Pollan he simplifies it down to "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/

The catch there is the definition of food. He says dont eat anything your grandmother wouldnt recognize as food. What he essentially means is it should look like it's natural form. A chicken breast. A carrot or tomato. Bunch of broccoli. A steak. If it comes ready to eat packaged in a brightly colored box it's probably heavily processed and full of sweeteners, preservatives, additives and you're likely better off without it.

entremet

You know, some people tend to over analyze some things. I'll probably will grilled for this but simple laws of physics tell me this is wrong!

We're not bomb calorimeters. Hormonal response matters. What do you think about ketosis? There are some people who intake 4000 calories on ketogenic diets and lose weight without exercise.

b3b0p

I can't believe this thread exists.

If you honestly believe calories don't matter and it's only carbs and "correct" foods, whatever that is. I challenge someone(s) to correctly measure out 2-3x their actual caloric requirements and start pounding down the food. It essentially sounds like people in this thread believe carbs caused them to gain weight and removing them is magical.

Yeah, You lose weight when you remove carbs, water weight at first and if you have a caloric deficit, you will lose fat over time.

And last I checked, cheese has negligible carbs. Bacon and eggs probably have more carbs then cheese. Bacon is cured in sugar or similar 99.9% of time, look at the ingredients.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/02/low-carb-talibans.html

People tend to believe what they want to hear.

Xeke

Banned
Steel cut oats, quinoa, amaranth, long grain brown rice ... all grains.

A bagel, loaf of whole grain bread, cereal, pasta, flour ... all refined grains.

You're probably a little better off with the former, but they all signal insulin production, and we know insulin is linked to fat storage.

Another guy who I enjoy reading is Michael Pollan he simplifies it down to "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/

The catch there is the definition of food. He says dont eat anything your grandmother wouldnt recognize as food. What he essentially means is it should look like it's natural form. A chicken breast. A carrot or tomato. Bunch of broccoli. A steak. If it comes ready to eat packaged in a brightly colored box it's probably heavily processed and full of sweeteners, preservatives, additives and you're likely better off without it.

But my grandmother used to bake fresh bread...

Dash27

I was a super skinny child but once puberty kicked in I exploded. I spent my teens, my twenties and the early part of my thirties being miserable, out of shape and overweight. I kept looking into and trying all sorts of stuff. For a long while I even retreated to the "It's hormonal it's not my fault, it's my metabolism!" Bullshit. Once I realized that I was running out of breath while tying by boots it just clicked. Losing weight was so easy I'm actrually pissed at myself for being such a lazy asshole.

Losing 40 pounds is great, so congrats on that!

So what did you weigh and what do you weigh now? Would you say you are lean? If not how much less would you have to eat to get lean and would you have to maintain that level of intake to keep the weight off?

These are the tougher questions. Many people lose it and gain it back quickly, much faster than simple calories in/out would suggest is possible.

I've lost weight from calorie restriction and exercise too. I firmly believe that if a person is starting from being overweight and completely sedentary, any activity and diet attention will have an effect. Would restricting sugar and carbs have an even greater effect? I would say it certainly seems that way to me.

Dash27

But my grandmother used to bake fresh bread...

Hah yes. I should mention Pollan isnt one of the no grains/carbs guys. He's more in the "natural foods" camp. I think he's not crazy about meat either, but I still like to read his stuff.

IceCold

But isn't bacon bad for you? Saturated fat and all.

xenist

Losing 40 pounds is great, so congrats on that!

So what did you weigh and what do you weigh now? Would you say you are lean? If not how much less would you have to eat to get lean and would you have to maintain that level of intake to keep the weight off?

These are the tougher questions. Many people lose it and gain it back quickly, much faster than simple calories in/out would suggest is possible.

I've lost weight from calorie restriction and exercise too. I firmly believe that if a person is starting from being overweight and completely sedentary, any activity and diet attention will have an effect. Would restricting sugar and carbs have an even greater effect? I would say it certainly seems that way to me.

From 142 to 102. I'm 6.1 and was 37 when I started. It is a long term thing though. Over a year and change rather than months. But I'm still losing weight. It's a lifestyle adjustment rather than a diet. Would I accelerate my weight loss with more effort? Surely. But between losing a little weight each month with practically zero effort and losing more weight but with extra effort, I'll take the zero effort solution.

Dash27

I can't believe this thread exists.

If you honestly believe calories don't matter and it's only carbs and "correct" foods, whatever that is. I challenge someone(s) to correctly measure out 2-3x their actual caloric requirements and start pounding down the food. It essentially sounds like people in this thread believe carbs caused them to gain weight and removing them is magical.

Yeah, You lose weight when you remove carbs, water weight at first and if you have a caloric deficit, you will lose fat over time.

And last I checked, cheese has negligible carbs. Bacon and eggs probably have more carbs then cheese. Bacon is cured in sugar or similar 99.9% of time, look at the ingredients.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/02/low-carb-talibans.html

People tend to believe what they want to hear.

I read leangains from time to time. You'll note he links approvingly to Lyle McDonald's Ketogentic diet, who I've also read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet

Very low-carbohydrate (aka ketogenic) diets such as The Atkins Diet, Protein Power and The South Beach Diet have come and gone repeatedly over the years and there is currently great research and real-world interest in their effects. Unfortunately, altogether too much misinformation exists regarding them.

Folks who are pro-low-carbohydrate diets tend to present them as the quick and easy solution to everything including obesity. Easy weight loss without hunger or calorie counting is promised but never seems to pan out as well as we might hope.

At the other extreme are the anti-low-carbohydrate folks who tend to present low-carbohydrate diets as nothing short of a nutritional disaster being perpetrated by a bunch of con men.

The truth, of course lies somewhere in the middle. While low-carbohydrate diets aren’t for everyone and have their pros and cons, the research is clear: they have major benefits under certain circumstances and can be as healthy (and sometimes healthier) than ‘standard’ carbohydrate based dieting.

- Calories in and out is largely irrelevant.

No.

It's physically impossible to gain (total) weight if your body burns more energy than you take in over a longer period of time.

I don't know enough about whatever hormone dysfunction of the body fat storing etc. so I won't say this is universally true. On the other hand, it should still be true just that those people starve to death while gaining fat but not total weight :p
Also not counting water weight.

"We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little"

Uh . . . yes we are. Yes, certainly the type of foot you eat makes a difference. But if you run a marathon every day you can eat pretty much what ever you want. Or if you eat a very small amount of food, it doesn't matter what it is.

And if you eat a 50 pounds a day of whatever magic food diet X recommends, you are going to get fat.

Yes, what you eat matters . . . but so do quantity of food and exercise. To deny that is ridiculous.

From 142 to 102. I'm 6.1 and was 37 when I started. It is a long term thing though. Over a year and change rather than months. But I'm still losing weight. It's a lifestyle adjustment rather than a diet. Would I accelerate my weight loss with more effort? Surely. But between losing a little weight each month with practically zero effort and losing more weight but with extra effort, I'll take the zero effort solution.
Let me get this straight. You are 6 foot 1 and weigh 102 pounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom