• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need a new Macbook of some variety, stat. Which to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Update for clarity:

Just wait until October as new MBPs are coming then.

Can't wait till then. We need it ASAP. She has to take tests on it during classes and with slowdown and browser freezing it may affect her ability to take the test.

--

Original post:

We're currently using a 2011 MacBook Air 13.3" purchased January 2012. The computer is really starting to show some wear and tear. Modern browsers are slow as fuck and it just seems like it's time.

This is the current computer I'm typig this on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWHZP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We want something we can order from Amazon today that gets here tomorrow, ideally. Since her schoolwork progress is being slowed down by computer slowness. Ideally we want to spend <$1500. We have decided to stick with Mac, because we've had good expeirences with their laptops in the past. Lightweight is ideal, we need to stick with more than 13" and the easiest display on my wife's eyes would also be ideal.

I don't care about gaming on the laptop. If it can game more than our current setup, cool, but it's by no means a priority of any kind. But we do watch a lot of streaming TV and movies on our device, usually with it Thunderbolt minidisplayport corded to the TV.

Here is an Amazon link to 13"+ Prime delivery Macbooks, I think it shoud cover all of them:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...acbook&ie=UTF8&qid=1473427418&rnid=2242797011

Thank you all a ton for your help.

Here are my wife's grad program's min requirements:

LAPTOP COMPUTERS

&#65279;All students are required to have a laptop computer for class. Most exams will be taken on the computer. Please review the minimum computer requirements below:

Hardware

Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (or equivalent AMD processor)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard Disk: 500 GB SATA or 256 GB solid state drive (SSD)
Removable Storage: Not necessary (DVD recordable, USB flash drive or external hard drive for backups recommended)
Display: 1024x768 minimum (1280x800, 13&#8221; display or larger would be better)
Networking: WiFi 802.11g (802.11n better, 802.11ac best)
Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 home premium or higher, Mac OS 10.8 or higher (Windows 7 starter or Home basic editions not recommended)

Software

Modern Browser: Internet Explorer 10 or newer, Firefox (latest version), Chrome (latest version)
Microsoft Office 2010 Professional (or 2011 for Mac) (MS Office Free to Emory Students)
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (Free to Emory Students)
Respondus Lockdown Browser (Free to Emory Students)
Additional software may be required.

Futureman

there's only one option if you "need to stick with more than 13"

though I think you misspoke there?

It's gotta be either 13" MBP or 15" MBP if you need an i5 or i7 and want the "easiest display" for the eyes (the Air display is low resolution/crummy).

Jarmel

Banned
Just wait until October as new MBPs are coming then. I would try and just suffer through the next month.

maxcriden

there's only one option if you "need to stick with more than 13"

though I think you misspoke there?

It's gotta be either 13" MBP or 15" MBP if you need an i5 or i7.

Thanks.

I thought the Macbook or Air had the same i5 or 7? We want 13"+ because we're used to this 13.3" one.

Just wait until October as new MBPs are coming then.

Can't wait till then. We need it ASAP. She has to take tests on it during classes and with slowdown and browser freezing it may affect her ability to take the test.

literally the worst time ever to buy a macbook.. but if you can't wait..
13 inch air is good value, but screen is shitty. prolly 13inch MBP then.

you want to stick with mac because you've had good experience in the past yet the computer you're looking to replace sounds like a piece of shit?

Futureman

you want to stick with mac because you've had good experience in the past yet the computer you're looking to replace sounds like a piece of shit?

5 year old computer is starting to slow down and become inefficient for modern day tasks. How does that translate to shit for you?

Futureman

5 year old computers can handle modern browsers just fine.

I'm sure some do. And others don't. And it's largely based on how you use and treat your computer.

My 2013 MBP runs better than when I bought it. If you're trying to advance some argument that Macs are bad computers then not sure what to say.

Zoc

I have that same computer, 2011 MB Air, and it still runs as well as the day I bought it. I always use the latest version of Firefox.

Have you reinstalled the OS or tried any other kinds of fixes to the current computer?

any chance you could just see how much free space in on the HDD? If its full, it might be causing your issues. Back up the HDD and do a clean OS X install and just put the files you need (so much clutter buildsup over a few years, particularly something like FCP X or video editors. A clean install could work wonders if there's no hardware issue.

You can also try a HDD upgrade.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Solid-State+Drive+Replacement/6317

if you're going to buy now, maybe go for a refurb off the Apple store.

Most logical solution that nobody here has presented, is the buy the damn thing then return it within the 2 week window after doing a time-machine backup. Rinse and repeat until the new ones are out.

Fliesen

any chance you could just see how much free space in on the HDD? If its full, it might be causing your issues. Back up the HDD and do a clean OS X install and just put the files you need (so much clutter buildsup over a few years, particularly something like FCP X or video editors. A clean install could work wonders if there's no hardware issue.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Solid-State+Drive+Replacement/6317

doesn't every Air come with an SSD - which shouldn't really perform worse with age.

but yeah, i'd at least try a clean re-install over a panic buy so close to an inevitable refresh of the macbook line.

maxcriden

Thanks all for your replies.

I edited my post. If you want the best screen you should avoid the Air.

the MacBook uses a Core M processor.

Ok, gotcha, thanks. So it sounds like the 13" MBP is the way to go.

I'm sure some do. And others don't. And it's largely based on how you use and treat your computer.

My 2013 MBP runs better than when I bought it. If you're trying to advance some argument that Macs are bad computers then not sure what to say.

We've treated the computer well I think but really neither of us are super tech savvy beyond the basics.

I have that same computer, 2011 MB Air, and it still runs as well as the day I bought it. I always use the latest version of Firefox.

Have you reinstalled the OS or tried any other kinds of fixes to the current computer?

These are good ideas, but the current computer still wouldn't meet the minimum system requirements for the program. :/

Plus, to clarify, the browser works well when just doing basic stuff or works decently when only playing one video, sometimes a bit of OS slowdown. But it tends to have a lot of problems when on the websites used in my wife's school program, especially the video intensive ones. My experience with the computer is that it usually runs pretty well still, but I'm not doing the same stuff on it.

Can't do a refurb because we need the computer sooner.

doesn't every Air come with an SSD - which shouldn't really perform worse with age.

but yeah, i'd at least try a clean re-install over a panic buy so close to an inevitable refresh of the macbook line.

Can I do that without losing my data if I don't have everything backed up? It seems this is the way?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Under reinstall for other reasons.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

I have a mid-2011 13" MB Air that I've been carrying in a backpack and using daily since October 2011 and it's still pretty great, battery wear aside. Never had a notebook as durable as this (my first Mac).

I've been wanting to upgrade but it's mostly because I've been itching for a better screen.

maxcriden

And if we do get the MBP w/ Retina, is it worth the $120 for 256 GB vs. 128? (Edit - or are those sys requirements in my OP saying I need the 256?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom