• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need to talk about the online radicalisation of young, white men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Why are people avoiding this question? I havent seen many posters address it at length since Iron Man. As much as I thought sexuality was one of the key issues at play, the more i read posts and think about the larger situation at hand, the more i feel like these incidents are a uniquely caucasian phenomenon. I now feel like lack of sex or sexual frustration is actually just a tertiary condition.

I mean as others have said, young black males aren't out committing these heinous acts. Young asian and latino men aren't lashing out in these ways. They're frustrated sure, but not violently or even maliciously so. We have to start addressing the roots of unbounded white supremacy in American culture that have led to these young men feeling that killing marginalized groups, like they did in the olden times, is the solution.

Fringe ideas by groups like red pill and such are culturally dangerous, but that alone isn't what's fosturing these attacks. This is unwatched, uncurated white society feeling forgotten and forging violent bonds with terrorism. We have to do better in acknowledging that. I originally let the OP article dissuade me from considering it too heavily.
I think sexual frustration is just part of the whole issue. It leads to them joining more radical groups and getting in an echo chamber of hate against society. And then that jumps towards white supremacy also and blaming the "other" for their own failings.

In that regards it is not that different from extremists joining a terrorist organisation, or people joining a gang and then committing crimes.

It's not an excuse, since these people should know better and need to be condemned for their actions and mindset, but it is part of what brings them to that point.

As for white society feeling forgotten, I think it has a lot to do with changing society. Whites are not being forgotten at all of course, but people that are experiencing their own problems now see a world where being white is no longer the default in all cases, and then they blame these changes for their own problems, while they are totally unrelated. It's the easy way out so you don't have to take responsibility. While being talked to by white supremacists and echo chambers, so they really begin to believe it after a while.

You did solicit that response by saying "girls don't get virgin shamed", which is itself a generalization.

That's just the plane the conversation has operated on for a bit now. And then when that gets followed through in replies but applied to men, you raise the alarm.

Think about that.

I can't say I've ever heard of women having to deal with that.

I flat out admitted that I've never encountered a woman dealing with virgin shaming. It's a statement on my personal experience. That isn't the same as definitively stating that no women deal with virgin shaming. I've already detailed why I responded the way I did (which was hardly "raising the alarm").

I mean as others have said, young black males aren't out committing these heinous acts. Young asian and latino men aren't lashing out in these ways. They're frustrated sure, but not violently or even maliciously so. We have to start addressing the roots of unbounded white supremacy in American culture that have led to these young men feeling that killing marginalized groups, like they did in the olden times, is the solution.

There have been several mass shootings/attacks that were perpetrated by non whites.

V Tech for example.

Dude resented rich kids that he felt bullied him, if I remember correctly.

Maybe if people feel they have normal outlets for their aggression they don't feel like they have to save it all up for one big spree. Most of this resentment and anger builds up when someone is actually trying very hard to conform to the standards set by society. They see others flagrantly flouting all the rules but perceive that instead of being put in place they are given excuses or treated like their behaviour makes them more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom