• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Talked About Harvey Birdman, Let's Talk about Perfect Hair Forever

The Historical Context
I remember a vague announcement episode where they had Early Cuyler from Squidbillies being interviewed, I remember that was basically an announcement for the show. Eventually I remember seeing something about a pilot air date.

Well, I looked it up and someone caught the distinctive "bumps" that went up before the Pilot of what everyone thought would be Squidbillies, it actually turns out to be a new show entirely called Perfect Hair Forever.

The Bump before airing.

What followed, was something utterly confusing.

This was around 2004 or so, the show aired 7 episodes with the final ones airing sometime in 2007, with a couple more in 2014 on the same day the seventh one aired.

Wiki has even more context beyond my personal views of "I was there, I saw it, it was so fucking weird that I can't or don't have an opinion on it,"
The Premise

From Wiki:

The series concerns a young boy named Gerald who is on a quest to find the perfect hair to remedy his premature baldness. He is joined on his wanderings by an array of strange companions. Gerald is opposed by the evil Coiffio and his minions for reasons which are never stated in the series.

This show felt like it was in the tradition of things like 12 ounce mouse, Squidbillies, Home movies, and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law if that show somehow became an acid trip fever dream reflection of anime nerd culture, anime tropes, and some good old Adult Swim crazy.

The voice cast was weird, wild and even had hip-hop mix master, mic master, and overall supervillain of Hip-Hop, who came to destroy rap, the legendary, greatest of all time, MF DOOM aka Daniel Dumile to voice a...Giraffe. Named Sherman. Yep.

Rod The Anime God.
rod-the-anime-god-perfect-hair-forever-5.82.jpg

Yep. These are characters.

EDIT:

The Production

Perfect Hair Forever employs an ongoing serial format, a style that had been uncommon to previous Williams Street projects, due to their lack of emphasis on continuity. Each episode of the series featured different opening sequence music and visuals. The style and music of the end credits also varied from episode to episode.

Following the first six episodes, members of the Perfect Hair Forever creative team posted on the official Adult Swim message board that they weren't interested in continuing the show to a second season, and at the Adult Swim panel at Comic-Con 2006, the cancellation of the series was announced.

Space Ghost appears in every episode, either as a character with an actual role, or in the background.

In October 2006, Adultswim.com confirmed that Perfect Hair Forever was back in production with 16 episodes to be aired on its online streaming network "The Fix." However, this was apparently incorrect, since after episode seven aired, the series was never continued.

Episode 7 was aired April 1, 2007, as part of Adult Swim's annual April Fool's Day joke. It is also available on Adult Swim's "The Fix" website. In 2007 the Japanese noise rock band Melt-Banana recorded the song "Hair-Cat (Cause the Wolf Is a Cat!)" for Perfect Hair Forever.

that's one annoying hotdog

Wa-wa-wait we can eat that.

Sherman always made me laugh mostly because every single time all I heard was MF DOOM talking. I also loved when he sampled it for a song on Occult Hymn and The Mouse and The Mask.

The other thing that got me with this is how Space Ghost is used. Blows me away and reminds me a lot of the background gag stuff in Harvey Birdman.

Fat4all

Banned
you're a boy
who was a man
who is a tree

perfect hair forever~

in life
there are some times,
consequences to the actions
a hero must face

to the end of the universe~

watch out for bears
to them, you are spaghetti dinner

perfect hair forever~

Zubz

Banned
I remember watching this show, & have, like, no memory of it. I remember there was a bald kid, a hot dog, 2 old dudes (Copy/Pasted, one was the villain), & a fan-servicey character. I couldn't tell you a single other word about this series, but I think I enjoyed it? I know I was upset when I missed the surprise new episodes on 2014 since I pulled an all-nighter/watched the Space Ghost marathon that night, but tuned in too late for Perfect Hair.

Let's not, that show was trash and should not be in the same conversation as Harvey Birdman. It belongs in the dumpster along with 12oz mouse and assy McGee

Let's not, that show was trash and should not be in the same conversation as Harvey Birdman. It belongs in the dumpster along with 12oz mouse and assy McGee

Oh I'm not even saying it is anywhere near the greatness of Harvey Birdman, I merely want to talk about it since several people kept bringing it up and I remember the show.

It is fucking bizarro trash, to the point where I don't know if it is GOOD trash or BAD trash.

Honestly, it feels so subversive with the weird anime fanservice girl character because the show spends the entire time making fun of that trope in anime.

I honestly enjoyed The Brak Show more.

DarkKyo

The one thing that always sticks out in my head from that show to me is Astronomic Cat. It's just something about the name that's instantly memorable.

Top Bottom