• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

Is there any way to create a BB code or embed an HTML/CSS sheet here for a comparison image slider?

I'd like to link my images as a comparison image slider instead of just filling the page with excessive images when letting people compare the difference in an images in a thread. Do I have to link to a separate page and just link it? What are my options?

Somnid

Is there any way to create a BB code or embed an HTML/CSS sheet here for a comparison image slider?

I'd like to link my images as a comparison image slider instead of just filling the page with excessive images when letting people compare the difference in an images in a thread. Do I have to link to a separate page and just link it? What are my options?

External link. It would be problematic if you could load js on a public forum.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm doing some usability research and I'm looking to get people with dev experience to sign up for a few tests I'm planning on running in the coming weeks.

It'll be online, roughly 20-30 minutes and we'll need to record your screen + mic.
If any of you aren't familiar with usability testing, you'll be using an application and speaking your mind as you interact with it, expressing when things don't work the way you expect or when you hit any roadblocks. If any of you are up to it, please PM me for info or quote to view the form. You'll be compensated for your time (Amazon gift card).

Oh and if you sign up, DON'T try using the app beforehand.

jokkir

Anyone know a good resource to learn Angular 2? A lot of the ones out now seem to be outdated compared to what's ion the final. I'm currently just going through the Angular 2 docs.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone know a good resource to learn Angular 2? A lot of the ones out now seem to be outdated compared to what's ion the final. I'm currently just going through the Angular 2 docs.

I've been just following the official learning path. Building out their sample app, then gonna go page by page through the rest of the doc. They actually changed their whole quickstart in the middle of me using it which was kind of a pain in the ass.

grmlin

I'm sitting here scratching my head what Apple was thinking killing deeplinks into apps with iOS 9.2

A client wants me to build a WhatsApp sharing icon that redirects into the appstore if the app is missing. It simply does not work anymore. All you get is an ugly and uninformative popup dialog telling you it cannot open the page because the address is invalid.

The worst part is, that it was all fine and dandy with iOS 8, where you could use an iframe to open the app or redirect to the appstore, if this did not work.

Too bad web intents died and there is nothing else on the horizon to get us out of this mess. What a shame

Somnid

I'm sitting here scratching my head what Apple was thinking killing deeplinks into apps with iOS 9.2

A client wants me to build a WhatsApp sharing icon that redirects into the appstore if the app is missing. It simply does not work anymore. All you get is an ugly and uninformative popup dialog telling you it cannot open the page because the address is invalid.

The worst part is, that it was all fine and dandy with iOS 8, where you could use an iframe to open the app or redirect to the appstore, if this did not work.

Too bad web intents died and there is nothing else on the horizon to get us out of this mess. What a shame

Web Share, the successor to web-intents just entered origin trials on Chrome: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/10/navigator-share. Of course that doesn't mean anything for iOS since Apple makes a habit of stalling or avoiding certain web features to protect their app store.

Elchele

so I'm trying to turn this into code:

t4ii8Lw.jpg

I'm having an awful time trying to figure how to make the separators work
so far I got this:

https://jsfiddle.net/sikaffy/2ps7djhy/1/

HELP :(

Does anyone here have experience with Typescript? I'm having some issues with importing Javascript modules.I want to use a JS library (SimpleMDE) that has a type definition file on NPM (@types/simplemde). The typings file doesn't have a module like other ones that I've used, so I can't import it like the others (it just does "declare namespace SimpleMDE" and "declare class SimpleMDE") but the compiler finds it as a global variable, so it compiles just fine. When I try to actually open the page though, the browser complains about not finding the SimpleMDE class and I've also checked the built bundle.js file and the JS library is not there.

My setup is Typescript 2.1, Webpack and NPM. Source is here, the relevant file is src/components/Editor.tsx.

Does anyone here have experience with Typescript? I'm having some issues with importing Javascript modules.I want to use a JS library (SimpleMDE) that has a type definition file on NPM (@types/simplemde). The typings file doesn't have a module like other ones that I've used, so I can't import it like the others (it just does "declare namespace SimpleMDE" and "declare class SimpleMDE") but the compiler finds it as a global variable, so it compiles just fine. When I try to actually open the page though, the browser complains about not finding the SimpleMDE class and I've also checked the built bundle.js file and the JS library is not there.

My setup is Typescript 2.1, Webpack and NPM. Source is here, the relevant file is src/components/Editor.tsx.

If you just link the lib in your html file it probably works right? I've only done a hello world in TypeScript so I'm not 100% sure, but can you do `import 'simplemde';` like regular ES2015?

If you just link the lib in your html file it probably works right? I've only done a hello world in TypeScript so I'm not 100% sure, but can you do `import 'simplemde';` like regular ES2015?

I've not tried actually linking the JS file itself. import "simplemde" does work and the JS file is now included in the bundle.js file that Webpack builds, but the browser still complains with the same error. Really weird. I'll look into this some more tomorrow.

8byte

Banned
Does anyone use Adobe Muse here? I know it's pretty laughable to serious web developers, but I just do simple stuff and am having some issues with responsive design on it.

Just in case anyone does use it or is familiar: My responsive elements resize, however, they resize on their center points, leaving tons of space between elements. They're set for responsive width and height. Any ideas?

Can anyone help?

Do you guys think its worth it to pay for host and domain for my portfolio? I have been using the free 000webhost all along but if paying is worth it I am willing to consider it.

8byte

Banned
*Figured it out*

Kinda.

Does anyone have any input on break points? After giving it some thought, I'm going to redesign starting with mobile, and then tablet / desktop. I think it'll help me organize my content better and (hopefully) avoid a lot of issues later on with different mediums.

That said, does most everyone stick to 320 for mobile and 768 for tablet?

Lister

Banned
*Figured it out*

Kinda.

Does anyone have any input on break points? After giving it some thought, I'm going to redesign starting with mobile, and then tablet / desktop. I think it'll help me organize my content better and (hopefully) avoid a lot of issues later on with different mediums.

Id take alook at what the popular frameworks use.

Looks like bootstrap's breakpoints are:

Under 768 for extra small, 768 up to 991 for small, medium after that and 1200+ for large.

grmlin

Apple devices are somewhat a standard regarding mobile breakpoints.
So 768 for tablet portrait and 1024 for tablet horizontal.

In the end it depends on the project and design. I have to use like 6 breakpoints right now for example, as the designer loved to change little things a lot even between the "normal"breakpoints.

Do you guys think its worth it to pay for host and domain for my portfolio? I have been using the free 000webhost all along but if paying is worth it I am willing to consider it.

Domain, sure. Host, it's up to you and you probably don't need one these days with services like Heroku or GitHub Pages. If you're technically inclined you could explore Amazon AWS and pay a few pennies a month to host your stuff and learn about AWS in the meantime.

I personally still have a host for my company website but it could easily be stored on a free service, but sometimes I need a place to stash a new client site for development or something, and so it helps to have that host available. Plus it's a tax write off.

*Figured it out*

Kinda.

I generally stick with bootstraps, 480px -> 768 -> 992 -> 1200

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
*Figured it out*

Kinda.

You just have to decide what makes sense for your project and content. Those are fairly common breakpoints but they might not always make sense.

The BBC for example have numerous style guides and tips about why they do what they do when using a grid system instead of just designing around screen size.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gel/guidelines/how-to-design-for-the-web#what-is-responsive-web-design-

It's worth paying for a domain name and hosting it somewhere free like GitHub Pages.

Domain, sure. Host, it's up to you and you probably don't need one these days with services like Heroku or GitHub Pages. If you're technically inclined you could explore Amazon AWS and pay a few pennies a month to host your stuff and learn about AWS in the meantime.

I personally still have a host for my company website but it could easily be stored on a free service, but sometimes I need a place to stash a new client site for development or something, and so it helps to have that host available. Plus it's a tax write off.

I generally stick with bootstraps, 480px -> 768 -> 992 -> 1200

What makes paying for the domain worth it? Also is the github pages for designers too? As I am more of a designer.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Breakpoints are silly. A responsive site reflows based on the content design, and when a viewport is too small for that specific content. That may be six different points based on how it reflows, and none of them may correspond to random device widths.

grmlin

Breakpoints are silly. A responsive site reflows based on the content design, and when a viewport is too small for that specific content. That may be six different points based on how it reflows, and none of them may correspond to random device widths.

But that's not how designers think, they are more interested in nice screens with a fake iPad as a background... It's possible to get some additional breakpoints between the normal ones, but I did not work on a single project in the last 5 years where we didn't have a phone, tablet and desktop breakpoint...

Kalnos

Banned
What makes paying for the domain worth it? Also is the github pages for designers too? As I am more of a designer.

Domain names are cheap and look more professional if available, i.e. BobRoss.com > BobRoss.geocities.com. If you're looking for WYSIWYG to develop then I'm not sure GitHub Pages is for you, maybe someone here has a better alternative.

Domain names are cheap and look more professional if available, i.e. BobRoss.com > BobRoss.geocities.com. If you're looking for WYSIWYG to develop then I'm not sure GitHub Pages is for you, maybe someone here has a better alternative.

You can host any static site with GitHub Pages, so you can create your website with your WYSIWYG editor of choice.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But that's not how designers think, they are more interested in nice screens with a fake iPad as a background... It's possible to get some additional breakpoints between the normal ones, but I did not work on a single project in the last 5 years where we didn't have a phone, tablet and desktop breakpoint...

You are right. But it's how I try to condition designers at our company to think.

It.. doesn't really work. D:

Maiar_m

You are right. But it's how I try to condition designers at our company to think.

It.. doesn't really work. D:

We ask our freelance designers to work with me when I code their pages. If they can't see an arbitrary design breakpoint isn't the word of law "in real life", then we're not working with them on the next project.

grmlin

At least most designers provide some mobile screens first, when they build a mobile first design...

I remember many projects where they sold a mobile first design to the client and all I got were desktop designs first...

I generally just do a mobile and desktop design, and then when building out make the decisions at what point things best start breaking down in the middle.

this_guy

Domain names are cheap, and you can get free Hosting for a year with Amazon's AWS cloud service if you're technically inclined. With that domain name you can also have professional email addresses.

Maiar_m

I generally just do a mobile and desktop design, and then when building out make the decisions at what point things best start breaking down in the middle.

When you both design and code and have an open minded client, sure. When the client signs off on designs and expects "nothing" in between those two, it gets more complicated in my experience. That "mobile" version may only look as designed in a very small fraction of screens, whereas the made-up tablet-appropriate elements will be likely to appear fairly quickly and often. Device agnosticism is the only real way to design user-centered interfaces.

JesseZao

This year, I've been developing internal web apps for work primarily with ASP.NET MVC / IIS. For the past couple of months, I've been moving towards React front-ends for the Views. I've been making do with ReactJS.Net, but I'm not satisfied with the support and feature state of it so far.

Recently, I've thought about moving to node to serve React-built apps that make calls to a .Net web service/api. The main roadblock is that I need to have node run as an IIS module, and the only solution for that seems to be iisnode. ReactJS.Net already has a small community of developers and iisnode is just that much more niche.

Anyone have experience with either iisnode or ReactJS.Net? Once I can get modules/WebPack working in Visual Studio I could be fine to just forget node for the time being, but I'm still left wondering if having node for React views would just make developement simpler.

Also, I'm still using MVC 5, so maybe my wants of node/npm integration are better fleshed out with ASP.NET Core. I also haven't installed node tools for Visual Studio yet, so maybe that would be satisfactory (I want command line development).

Anybody here good with SEO?

I have a question.

I setup a website for my business with a URL (www.kumarhero.com) using WIX.

Now I have another domain, www.herobikes.in redirecting to my site. Should I submit the other domain in Google Search Console for indexing?

No, it doesn't matter, unless that was an old domain that has existing inbound links to it. Then you'd want to make sure your are redirecting as a 301 to the proper url.

So what's the dealio with angular2 nowadays? Seems everyone hightailed it to react around 1.5 years ago but I am not see a whole lot of react sites out there to be honest. At least with the sites I visit on a regular basis.

Maiar_m

So what's the dealio with angular2 nowadays? Seems everyone hightailed it to react around 1.5 years ago but I am not see a whole lot of react sites out there to be honest. At least with the sites I visit on a regular basis.
You don't see the react as much as you could spot the angular, maybe that's why.

Top Bottom