• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 93 - 12/30/2011

The latest episode of weekend confirmed is is not even worth a thread. Fucking terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. Its like they got these guys from the marketing department of the game they were promoting. They make games but you get the feeling they don't play many games.

Early on one of the guys calls himself a genius, and you would think this is set up for joke or something but he was dead serious. And then there is 360 controller moment which was reminiscent of the giant enemy crab moment from E3 where the guy thought real time weapon switching was new to the world. I would have rather 3 Xavs hosting and Delrio rapping.

They do (tabletop games! that's the gamiest games that ever gamed!). That's what makes it interesting.

Reading through this thread I was saddened to find out I'm not the only one who has given up on this podcast. I wish I could point to a single reason, but it's just lacking in quality which is a damn shame since I enjoy Garnett, Xav and Jeff a great deal. I guess that just means it is the 4th Chair, or whoever they have on as a guest.

Andrea is the obvious offender. I don't want to pick on her, but for me at least, she hasn't brought anything interesting to the podcast in several appearances. Initially I was very happy to have a regular female voice on a podcast so typically steeped in Garnett's... humor. I specifically remember seeking her out on Twitter after her 2nd or 3rd appearance because I so much enjoyed her voice on the show.

But since then... it's been pretty downhill. Not sure if its because the alcohol seems to be flowing when she is around, or what. Which is another thing - I don't want to begrudge the guys the liquor - because it made for some epic podcasts back in the 1UP Yours days - but they've not played out to be very entertaining recently. In fact, the last time I listened, before turning it off in disgust - was one of the holiday episodes with Andrea. As the show went on the speech became more slurred and Andrea's defense of some inane topic went on I just had to stop it. It was that bad that I'd rather listen to the radio than some of my favorite gaming people talk about games. That's a damn shame.

Really wish Garnett and Co can figure something out. It feels weird seeing him post on Twitter that a new episode is out and not having that desire to get it downloaded for the drive home. I don't know what I'd do differently in his shoes as I get why the show is how it is right now - but I don't think it's worked out the way it was planned is all.

I don't think it's Andrea at all. I think it's got more to do with content. Maybe switching up the format a bit will help. I agree, I like the team but the podcast itself comes out sloppy sometimes. It's a good cast with a bad script.

Karish

The latest episode of weekend confirmed is is not even worth a thread. Fucking terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. Its like they got these guys from the marketing department of the game they were promoting. They make games but you get the feeling they don't play many games.

Early on one of the guys calls himself a genius, and you would think this is set up for joke or something but he was dead serious. And then there is 360 controller moment which was reminiscent of the giant enemy crab moment from E3 where the guy thought real time weapon switching was new to the world. I would have rather 3 Xavs hosting and Delrio rapping.
That part was so f'ing bizarre. Terrible episode. Curious to see of they acknowledge this fact next week.

angelfly

That part was so f'ing bizarre. Terrible episode. Curious to see of they acknowledge this fact next week.

They should have just did it like GB and release a normal show and have the Amalur guys on a separate one. I already listened to them on GB so I didn't bother with it.

LiK

lol, so no one bothered making a thread for last week's show? i have to admit i thought the show was only okay. there were some funny stories and a few good discussions but when people go into "game pimp" mode i zoned out fast. they seriously needed Jeff there.

to be fair, i didn't bother listening to GB's Reckoning episode cuz it's prolly more game pimping as well. i really do not like those types of podcasts.

Chocoboko

Reading through this thread I was saddened to find out I'm not the only one who has given up on this podcast. I wish I could point to a single reason, but it's just lacking in quality which is a damn shame since I enjoy Garnett, Xav and Jeff a great deal. I guess that just means it is the 4th Chair, or whoever they have on as a guest.

Andrea is the obvious offender. I don't want to pick on her, but for me at least, she hasn't brought anything interesting to the podcast in several appearances. Initially I was very happy to have a regular female voice on a podcast so typically steeped in Garnett's... humor. I specifically remember seeking her out on Twitter after her 2nd or 3rd appearance because I so much enjoyed her voice on the show.

But since then... it's been pretty downhill. Not sure if its because the alcohol seems to be flowing when she is around, or what. Which is another thing - I don't want to begrudge the guys the liquor - because it made for some epic podcasts back in the 1UP Yours days - but they've not played out to be very entertaining recently. In fact, the last time I listened, before turning it off in disgust - was one of the holiday episodes with Andrea. As the show went on the speech became more slurred and Andrea's defense of some inane topic went on I just had to stop it. It was that bad that I'd rather listen to the radio than some of my favorite gaming people talk about games. That's a damn shame.

Really wish Garnett and Co can figure something out. It feels weird seeing him post on Twitter that a new episode is out and not having that desire to get it downloaded for the drive home. I don't know what I'd do differently in his shoes as I get why the show is how it is right now - but I don't think it's worked out the way it was planned is all.

Wow, your thoughts mimic mine perfectly. I really have been having a hard time getting excited to listen to this show for many months now. I thought it was just me but reading through this thread it sounds like a lot of people are having the same issues I am. I cannot pinpoint what feels off about it but it just doesn't feel like it used to. I have been a huge fan of Garnett's since back in the 1up yours days. I love everything he does and that is why my feelings towards the current state of the podcast upsets me so much.

I hate to say it but I also kind of agree with all the Andrea frustrations. I don't know what it is about her but the more shows she is on the less I like listening to her. I really dislike it when females who play games try to just act like the guys in how they talk about games and the games they actually play ( lots of FPSs ). If that is how they want to be then so be it but I just feel like it has become a stereotype almost for female gamers and that is starting to really bug me. Maybe I am just missing having a nerdy RPG podcast in my life with Kat's podcast gone, lol.

This most recent episode was the very first episode of Weekend Confirmed that I didn't actually finish. I made it about 30min in and just shut it off in frustration. What has happened to this podcast?

I just kinda feel like they need to re think what they want this podcast to be. Figure out who they want to be on every single week and just stick with that group of people. Maybe the reason I have been having such a hard time getting into the show recently is because the only constant cast member is Garnett himself.

I really hope they can figure something out because it pains me to not want to listen to Garnett's podcast.

Nizz

If that was sarcasm, tell him it does not translate well over a podcast. I dunno he just came off as anomaly on the show. For a moment Garnette even tried to get deep and eloquent. That tells you something is wrong.
I honestly felt the same way. All I kept thinking was "is this guy for real?" :0 He kept saying how he was this genius and I kept waiting for the punch line and it never came, lol

He is an anomaly! He's not your average caucasian 30-something dork like 99% of the game development community. He's an eccentric old academic who only recently (relatively) begun experimenting with video games.
Thanks for the little background info on him. :) Honestly though, like LQX said I myself couldn't pick up on the sarcasm. :/ This last show felt a bit too heavy on the Reckoning discussion. I don't mind devs on the show at all, but this one just felt like a dedicated Reckoning podcast extra instead of the usual Weekend Confirmed show. I do want to try Reckoning, I'm going to go download the demo off PSN tomorrow.

I'm also cool with the megathread idea. If we won't have a weekly WC thread we could at least bump an ongoing thread when a new show's up and talk about it there.

@GarnettLee said:
Headed to the studio for a morning taping of @WeekendConfirmd with @davidscottjaffe @MikeMcWhertor @Xav show a little late today
Ah shit here we go.

Also Ken Rolston was awesome. Yeah he's goofy but that's just the way he rolls. I enjoyed the WC show with him more than that one Bombcast. I think Garnett was very good about getting practical information about the game out of him.

DaBuddaDa

I like the megathread idea and think we should use one, but, I have no confidence in my ability to create a decent enough OP for it.

I like the megathread idea and think we should use one, but, I have no confidence in my ability to create a decent enough OP for it.

I can make one once the Shacknews GOTY comes out later today since I figure we could use it for shacknews and trs stuff too. I got my link to Jeff having his mind blown on the totally rad show by the sony headset all ready

Of course, it won't be as nice as the Bombcast OT this week :/
Man, I can't compete with that!

I can make one once the Shacknews GOTY comes out later today since I figure we could use it for shacknews and trs stuff too. I got my link to Jeff having his mind blown on the totally rad show by the sony headset all ready

Sounds good, thanks. It'll save me a lot of hassle trying to track down the latest WC thread.

LiK

Do a megathread AFTER Jaffe ep imo. Jaffe can get a lot of posts, imo. just a suggestion.

Nizz

This would be pretty great. :)

Ken Rolston was a pretty interesting guy to have on. I always enjoy interviews with that guy who is like your crazy uncle. But there was one thing, ooooonnnnnneeeeee thing that was driving me bonkers. When Mr. Rolston gets excited and really on a roll his voice starts honking. The man honks.

Gomu Gomu

Heh, guess I wasn't the only one who gave up on the show months ago. Also, I agree with not knowing exactly what it is that makes me not care or want to listen to it anymore.

Jaffe, on the other hand, is always a treat to listen to.

I have a hard time finishing up the podcast recently. When I am hoping for insight or anecdotes, we get superficial summaries/complaints. The last couple guests don't add that much or don't play that many games. Honestly the last guest that was memorable was the dentist that asked "So, what do you guys actually do?"

I miss Leahy. He explains, in detail, why he doesn't like specific game mechanics in a game. No one plays the indie games Xav assigns (I think he just gave up on giving homework), Jeff stopped doing cheap retro game recommendations (at least he does break down when he is hating on something) and Garnett is lacking the contentious co-host like Man-God or Davison.
I hope now that Garnett got a PC he will talk more about PC games, maybe even PC racing games. I think the dudes in InsideSimRacing are based in LA.

I will listen for Jaffe though.

Ken Rolston is now on my podcast blacklist, in the very limited company of Scott bromley and some other people from his IGN podcast. I said this in the gb thread, but the man is just painful to listen to.

Looking forward to Jaffe today, first weekend confirmed ice actually looked forward to in a long time

codhand

Witcher 2 listed as Shack's GOTY, excellent choice, and so far the only outlet I know of to give it the honor, very cool.

Top Bottom