• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Were you laid off from Irrational Games? Look in here and you might find a new home

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This is a really nice thread. I'm sure the folks at Irrational will find new homes. In my fantasies, the crew responsible for System Shock 2 are brought into Visceral to work on the next Dead Space game.

Speaking of, does anyone know what's up with the System Shock IP now?

This is a highly cynical perspective, but everyone is doing this because these are the guys who made bioshock and Infinite. If a lesser known studio had closed down, I dont know if this would've happened. With that being said though, the team at Irrational are very good at what they do. They should be proud that their work is so well received that a lot of the better known studios in the industry is seeking them out

You don't hire employees out of charity, of course you don't. Irrational Games has good employees so that is why companies are interested. They are not pretending to be doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fucking Platinum. They'd have had my resume hours ago if I was single and could contemplate relocating to Osaka.

We'd love to have you here in Osaka! That would be awesome!

Madness

This is a highly cynical perspective, but everyone is doing this because these are the guys who made bioshock and Infinite. If a lesser known studio had closed down, I dont know if this would've happened. With that being said though, the team at Irrational are very good at what they do. They should be proud that their work is so well received that a lot of the better known studios in the industry is seeking them out

Of course. You have one of the best studios in a while be closed down. This means there will be a huge supply of talented individuals ready to be hired. Of course a lesser known studio would not have received the same outpouring of support. That doesn't mean other studios are not actively on the lookout. Modern AAA games development also requires many prospective employees to have years of relevant experience in the industry.

Monocle

If I were an industry person and it were remotely feasible for me to work at Platinum, I would jump at the chance. The opportunity to create anything at all with such an exceptional team would be priceless.

I suppose it helps that a lot of these teams are bulking up for PS4 and Xbone development, and Bioshock Infinite was certainly a game that pushed the last generations of consoles.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Out of interest, does anyone know where Irrational are/were based?

EDIT - found it on Wikipedia. Quincy, Massachusetts. No idea where this is relating to other studios. Most of the ones I know are in California or Texas (Retro).

The Northeast U.S. isn't really a hotspot for game development. Bethesda's close, I guess?

Exile20

Wow, just wow. It might not be real tho

kFYpfVG.png

Damn, was that guy really laid off? Very disrespectful thing to say and a good (and very true) reply from JP. I don't want to believe it though, must be "fake".

Corto

The tweet exists, but it seems to be a person impersonation being from Irrational

He's not from Irrational. His follow up tweets make it seem like he meant to say "If I've been laid from Irrational...". He's just a troll.

FartOfWar

Banned
Damn, was that guy really laid off? Very disrespectful thing to say and a good (and very true) reply from JP. I don't want to believe it though, must be "fake".

He wasn't and it's stupid and disrespectful to everyone. Speaking for colleagues as well as myself we love and admire Platinum's output.

Still scratching my head about this going down, but primarily I just hope that everyone there gets a new gig pronto. They're kind of local, and it's a shitty winter to get laid off.

rezn0r

Still scratching my head about this going down, but primarily I just hope that everyone there gets a new gig pronto. They're kind of local, and it's a shitty winter to get laid off.

Not that it really makes any difference with anything but I hear ya, I live less than a mile from their location. I've always admired everything they've done and I'd find myself going to their site just to look for any new posts or updates. This one is certainly not the kind I was looking for. Hoping it works out for everyone and thanks for everything you made while it lasted.

Iorv3th

Out of interest, does anyone know where Irrational are/were based?

EDIT - found it on Wikipedia. Quincy, Massachusetts. No idea where this is relating to other studios. Most of the ones I know are in California or Texas (Retro).

I think harmonix is out of Boston.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Irrational folk working with Cory Barlog on his super secret epic project would be fantastic. Hope this transpires.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Every single recruiter for any game studio with vacancies will have already pinged the relevant contacts at Irrational/2K, or will have started contacting people directly through shared contacts. I know ours has.

Same with the people saying "props" for the 2K arranged recruitment days - that's utterly normal in this sort of situation. EA does similar things when closing down a studio - the time my small team/group got shuttered down, half of us ended up at various EA locations.

Yep, same thing happened after the LucasArts/ILM/Lucasfilm Animation layoffs - Disney/Lucasfilm HR setup a job fair so a bunch of other companies can meet with the people let go. Irrational Games had a booth there, now that I think back on it.

Unfortunately this is a lot like a great indie band breaking up, where everyone goes off and joins other people's bands.

IIt's great that they still get to create and they're all talented people, but you're never gonna recapture the magic you got from that particular group in that combination.

Though it'd be pretty cool if a lot of the key talent that didn't go with Levine got offered to form their own new studio

Top Bottom