• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some games that have a similar feel to the Prince of Persia franchise (other than Assassin's Creed)

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm really in a mood for a game like this, ideally one that I've never played before.

Key elements that I would look for are:
- melee action & combo based combat (if it has acrobatics then even better)
- mix of exploration and puzzle-solving, fun and sometimes challenging climbing mechanics too
- fairly linear story campaign, although I don't mind if it has a bit of a metroidvania feel to it
- fantasy/fairy tale sort of setting that feels like you're watching a Disney film like Aladdin or just a simple but engaging fairy tale with lots of fantastical elements and fun story with endearing characters; if it's not overly dark, violent and edgy then that's preferable but in case of a lack of better examples, I guess I can take something with more grit to it as well

Also, before any of them will be name-dropped, I already played the following games/franchises to death so I'm definitely looking for something other than these:
God of War series
Darksiders series
Shadow of The Colossus

Also, I know, "why don't you just google it?" And under most circumstances it would be a fair question but if you're thinking about it after opening this thread then come on, I wouldn't be posting this if I wasn't interested in GAF's opinion in particular.
LeftLeafyAustraliankestrel-size_restricted.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm really in a mood for a game like this, ideally one that I've never played before.

- mix of exploration and puzzle-solving, fun and sometimes challenging climbing mechanics too
- fairly linear story campaign, although I don't mind if it has a bit of a metroidvania feel to it
- fantasy/fairy tale sort of setting that feels like you're watching a Disney film like Aladdin or just a simple but engaging fairy tale with lots of fantastical elements and fun story with endearing characters; if it's not overly dark, violent and edgy then that's preferable but in case of a lack of better examples, I guess I can take something with more grit to it as well

I Don’t think I can fully help you out, but here’s a couple suggestions for you to look into…

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They don't really exist unless I'm forgetting some. Prince of Persia, 1st Assassins Creed trilogy, Tomb Raider reboot trilogy, Uncharted series.

Psychonauts 2 is a recent 3D platformer.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I Don’t think I can fully help you out, but here’s a couple suggestions for you to look into…

Kena and Asterigos are really good recomendations.

Let me add Trine series, Immortals fenyx rising, Overlord 1&2.
Is lords of shadows edgier than two thrones?
The pathless doesnt only meet the characters and melee requirements.
I would have said Jedi fallen order if it wasnt for that fantasy requirement, You cant be more Disney-like than Disney itself. That game is a shameless prince of persia rip-off.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For 2D PoP then pretty much every "cinematic platformer" game like Another World, Abe's series, Flashback, Blackthorne, Heart of Darkness among relatively few others.

For 3D, well, nothing, sadly, unless you go by the more combat focused titles in the series and so liken it to the likes of Rygar PS2/Wii or even God of War (ugh).

The Wii PoP game was surprisingly decent alongside some of the various PoP versions and remakes on other systems throughout several generations.

I guess old school Tomb Raider works if you're gonna be vague about the elements being platforming, action, exploration, immersion, etc.

Last edited:

intbal

El Shaddai

I wouldn't say it "feels" anything at all like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed. But it does meet some of your other requirements.

Fbh

Not really what you are looking for since it's first person, cyberpunk, dark and edgy.

But Ghostrunner gave me slight POP vibes with it's focus on skills based platforming which gets integrated into combat. It even has some time manipulation mechanics

GR_PAX_GIF__3.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not really what you are looking for since it's first person, cyberpunk, dark and edgy.

But Ghostrunner gave me slight POP vibes with it's focus on skills based platforming which gets integrated into combat. It even has some time manipulation mechanics

GR_PAX_GIF__3.gif
The first boss of this game almost made me break my controller in half, lol. It's so ridiculously hard it's not even fun anymore. Which makes it even more ridiculous that it's the first boss of the game because compared to that battle, the rest of the game is a literal breeze and I had not issues with the rest of it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Valentino

Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Tomb Raider Underworld. Simple, easy to mildly challenging games, great stories and a great, fun, acrobatic Lara.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If you're on Xbox or pc, you could play the amazing cel shaded Prince of Persia game that I feel like everyone ignored when it came out.
Yeah, I remember that it got kinda bashed back in the day but I liked that game a lot. It was far easier than other PoP games but that didn't matter, it was just super enjoyable.

I guess I'll throw Majin & the forsaken Kingdom into mix, mega under rated game, wish it got a remaster/remake.
Never heard of this one, now that's a proper obscure recommendation, lol.

I also just realized that I never actually played through any of the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver games.
e40af0fd-51a9-48b1-8442-3b9a356fd4cd.jpeg

I vaguely remember seeing one of these on my friend's original Play Station way back in the day and it looked pretty cool but since I didn't have the console at the time, I just kinda forgot about it and never bothered to check it out as an adult. I think I'm gonna give these a shot since they look like exactly what I'm looking for.

anthony2690

Banned
Yeah, I remember that it got kinda bashed back in the day but I liked that game a lot. It was far easier than other PoP games but that didn't matter, it was just super enjoyable.

Never heard of this one, now that's a proper obscure recommendation, lol.

I also just realized that I never actually played through any of the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver games.
e40af0fd-51a9-48b1-8442-3b9a356fd4cd.jpeg

I vaguely remember seeing one of these on my friend's original Play Station way back in the day and it looked pretty cool but since I didn't have the console at the time, I just kinda forgot about it and never bothered to check it out as an adult. I think I'm gonna give these a shot since they look like exactly what I'm looking for.
Majin & the forsaken Kingdom is an absolute gem, I'm absolutely gutted it isn't backwards compat, I love the game :)

If you have a console that can play the game, I highly recommend it :)

I think the cel shaded PoP is super under rated.

I wonder how the Soup Reaver games have aged, my dad absolutely loved them, I use to watch him play them on Psone & Dreamcast.

It is a shame the reboot got cancelled.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Also, before any of them will be name-dropped, I already played the following games/franchises to death so I'm definitely looking for something other than these:
God of War series
Darksiders series
Shadow of The Colossus

Also, I know, "why don't you just google it?" And under most circumstances it would be a fair question but if you're thinking about it after opening this thread then come on, I wouldn't be posting this if I wasn't interested in GAF's opinion in particular.
LeftLeafyAustraliankestrel-size_restricted.gif
Zelda. most of the 3d games are just a Nintendo-styled Prince of persia. OOT, MM, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess... they're all there and while they're not as good, they fit what you're looking for down to a T.

As ridiculous as you might find it... Kingdom Hearts, KH1 specifically. That game's got hack and slash combat, puzzles, quite a bit of exploration if you do the 101 Dalmatians side quest, and It's the ONLY KH game with a really good story, plus RPG mechanics. KH3 apparently has open worlds as well, but i haven't played that

The Batman games don't fit the fantasy, disney style as much but they're perfect in terms of gameplay, with a bit of stealth on the side
I am stretching here but come on, these types of action adventure games that focus on platforming puzzles and melee are rare, most games hyperfocus on one thing :/

Last edited:

Banned
there aren't any really. the combination of parcour, puzzles and melee combat is basically only found in PoP.
which is why it's so sad that Ubisoft killed the franchise in favor of Assassin's Creed

the closest I can think of is maybe Beyond Good & Evil. but not much wallrunning in that one lol

Last edited:

Banned
Enslaved might fit the bill.

yeah, but only if you like a bad framerate and input lag that'll give you Killzone 2 ptsd 😆

also that's one of those games with fake platforming, as in every jump is basically pre-scripted and you only jump from one glowing spot to the other glowing spot when the game signals you you can press jump now

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
yeah, but only if you like a bad framerate and input lag that'll give you Killzone 2 ptsd 😆

also that's one of those games with fake platforming, as in every jump is basically pre-scripted and you only jump from one glowing spot to the other glowing spot when the game signals you you can press jump now
I think I played that a long time ago. If that's the game I'm thinking of then the visuals were nice and I liked the vibrant post-apocalyptic setting that you don't see too often in post-apocalyptic fiction, but I can't remember anything about it besides that.

Oh well, maybe the PC version is better and doesn't have FPS problems. It seems to be reviewed pretty well on Steam.

EDIT: just watched some videos and yeah, this gives me some major PoP vibes, with the plot involving a dude and a female sidekick that can be used during combat and to solve puzzles, melee combat, platforming, puzzle solving, colourful and fantastical setting. It kinda ticks off all of the right boxes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom