• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the most difficult games from From Software? You can choose two.

What are the most difficult games from From Software? You can choose two.

• Total voters

Mr Hyde

Probably had the most difficult time with Bloodborne. It was hard to adjust your playstyle after Dark Souls and some of the bosses were pretty brutal the first time I met them (Father Gascoigne, Ebrietas and some of the chalice dungeons bosses).

Never really had a difficult time with Sekiro. I had perfected my parrying from playing Dark Souls and Bloodborne so much that it was never really an issue for me. But Sword saint Isshin was truly the mother of all final bosses. I was stuck on him for days. Absolutely wrecked me.

Last edited:

_Ex_

The real answer:

7097_front.jpg

Edit: My review https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198605-shadow-tower/reviews/164686

Last edited:

Yonyx

I'm quite surprised by the results, especially Bloodborne's second place with such a difference over the third, and Dark Souls II ending up last. Not only that, all 3 Dark Souls games ended up being the last 3:

1- Sekiro. Shadows Die Twice - 130 votes
2- Bloodborne - 47
3- Demon's Souls - 22
4- Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon - 21
5- Elden Ring - 18
6- Dark Souls - 17
6- Dark Souls III - 17

8- Dark Souls II - 16

Last edited:

april6e

I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't have Sekiro on their list. It's the hardest title From has done with no discussion. Bloodborne is the other one because you almost have to learn to parry or you'll have a miserable time and there no good defensive options. The dodge has terrible range/iframes and you can't just equip massive shields and tank gear like in the Souls series.

Last edited:

Yonyx

I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't have Sekiro on their list. It's the hardest title From has done with no discussion. Bloodborne is the other one because you almost have to learn to parry or you'll have a miserable time and there no good defensive options. The dodge has terrible range/iframes and you can't just equip massive shields and tank gear like in the Souls series.
Well, I never did parries in Bloodborne, and I got the platinum trophy without too many issues. I only encountered some problems in the first 3-4 hours of gameplay, with the spider and with some optional bosses. For the rest of the game (and the expansion), my progress was smooth. I experienced more intense spikes of difficulty in any of the Dark Souls games.

I was one of those who didn't vote for Sekiro simply because I only tried it for a couple of hours (I'll complete it someday).

Keep in mind too that when you start Sekiro, you have maybe two charges in your healing flask, a puny-ass health bar and don't know the mechanics yet and they throw the Ogre and Samurai Dude at you.

Both can easily end you within two seconds, some moves even ohko. Then you realize the shitty respawn mechanic puts you on half health and whatever just pushed your shit in is back on top of you within another two seconds.

Game's opening is aggressively punishing. Easy to forget if you've played it a lot. I had put like 300 hours into Bloodborne, 200+ in DS and Sekiro raked me over the coals.

Dark Souls II - because it's a shit game
Sekiro - because you have no real way to power up your attack without killing the bosses. The only one of the bunch that actually requires you to "git gud"

drotahorror

Dark Souls 2 and Sekiro. I struggled with DkS 3 as well.

Some of the DLC in DkS 2 is absurd.

I didn't beat Sekiro but I was close. I just lost interest.

I'm surprised Bloodborne is #2. DLC bosses were pretty rough though.

Last edited:

Yonyx

Where's Echo Night and Kuon?

I didn't feel like putting together a list of nearly 30 games. The votes would have been too scattered. Moreover, far fewer people have played the previous games, and the results would have been even more biased.

I'm pretty shocked how much people are saying sekiro. I thought it was one of, if not the easiest out of all the FROM games. I say this as someone who is completely ass at these games too and has beat all of them outside of ER which is just boring. Maybe because it doesnt really allow for different build types and is just different from the other games? Just did not expect that.

Anyway, it's BB and DS3 for me. BB was by far the hardest for me. One, it was my first souls experience. Two, even without that being the case, I still feel like it would be the hardest as you have no shield fallback. I could also be misremembering since it's been a good bit since I played it, but I feel like the parrying was most difficult on there compared to the other souls games.

I picked DS3 as runner up really just for one reason, the nameless king. By far the hardest boss for me in any souls games. My jaw hit the floor after I beat his first phase and found out he had another. Just his first phase was hard af. DS2 would be close but I only played SoTFS, which was a shitty design just to the hoard of enemies. Without the overwhelming number of enemies, I don't think that game would be that hard (at least the main game, the DLCs were pretty tough and the high point of that game).

bender

What time is it?
I'm pretty shocked how much people are saying sekiro. I thought it was one of, if not the easiest out of all the FROM games. I say this as someone who is completely ass at these games too and has beat all of them outside of ER which is just boring. Maybe because it doesnt really allow for different build types and is just different from the other games? Just did not expect that.

Anyway, it's BB and DS3 for me. BB was by far the hardest for me. One, it was my first souls experience. Two, even without that being the case, I still feel like it would be the hardest as you have no shield fallback. I could also be misremembering since it's been a good bit since I played it, but I feel like the parrying was most difficult on there compared to the other souls games.

I picked DS3 as runner up really just for one reason, the nameless king. By far the hardest boss for me in any souls games. My jaw hit the floor after I beat his first phase and found out he had another. Just his first phase was hard af. DS2 would be close but I only played SoTFS, which was a shitty design just to the hoard of enemies. Without the overwhelming number of enemies, I don't think that game would be that hard (at least the main game, the DLCs were pretty tough and the high point of that game).

The first mini boss in Sekiro destroys me. I'm just pants at parrying. I've restarted the game a half dozen times or so and can never even make a dent in it.

The first mini boss in Sekiro destroys me. I'm just pants at parrying. I've restarted the game a half dozen times or so and can never even make a dent in it.
Yea I can get that. I do remember sekiro being rough in the beginning, but once I understood what the game wanted from me, it became pretty easy. Easy in FROM standards at least

Mortisfacio

Isshin is widely considered the hardest From boss, so there's that. BB I felt like was the easiest From game until the DLC came and finally made some difficult fights.

Bartski

Gold Member
IMO Armored Core 6 - S ranking all missions is the hardest thing they ever did and it's mandatory for a platinum trophy. Mortal Journey in Sekiro was way more stressful but fully optional with no reward other than the joy of achieving the impossible. So I'd say those two.

Soodanim

Of the games I've played, the 2nd answer is either Demon's or Dark 2.

Demon's has a certain amount of brutality that the other games toned down. Dark 1 fixed some of the annoyances, but those annoyances also fed into the difficulty (things like weight limits). But the game itself is harder, I find. Maybe it's because I didn't replay it the way I did 1/3/ER and get really good against most enemies. 3-1's first enemies alone strike fear into the minds of many.

Dark 2 is difficult because it's the anti-DS1. It goes out of its way to be different. From the high enemy tracking to the janky everything to even the sound design, it all feeds into the game purposely throwing you off your game if you're a DS1 fan. Again, I haven't learned it like the rest but this time it's because I don't like it.

3 was for the most part fair in its difficulty, and ER has so many options that after the beginning where you have low health and heals you're basically choosing your own difficulty with all the assistance and options you can have.

Everyone that says Sekiro is easy (it is) needs to play Sekiro: Resurrection (mod). Very fun overhaul and adds refreshing amounts of challenge and difficulty.

AC6 gets my #1 vote.

Duchess

I never even made it to the first boss in Sekiro.

I think it's the design, since it's all based on parrying, which I'm really bad at.

drotahorror

I didn't feel like putting together a list of nearly 30 games. The votes would have been too scattered. Moreover, far fewer people have played the previous games, and the results would have been even more biased.
Yeah I was kidding as I was quoting someone that also mentioned a PS1 game.

Yonyx

Update:

1- Sekiro. Shadows Die Twice - 162 votes
2- Bloodborne - 57
3- Demon's Souls - 29
4- Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon - 27
5- Dark Souls - 24
6- Dark Souls II - 23
6- Dark Souls III - 23
6- Elden Ring - 23

I've read this before and didn't know... Is Demon's Souls on PS5 significantly less difficult than its PS3 version?
To me, Demon's Souls PS3 is slightly more challenging because the controls feel stiff and the visuals can get very muddy.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I love Elden Ring, but it's definitely one of the easiest just by that nature of the wide breath of options you have to approach combat.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
DS3 and ER.

Bullshit no-stagger enemies with infinite stamina and Killer Instinct-like combos that can be shortened or extended on a whim, plus the most shameful input reading since the glory days of arcade fighting games.
The previous Souls games were hard, but honest. I never had to restart from scratch so much as in DS3 and ER, because some builds are just not viable in those games and the amount of bullshit there beggars belief.

Sekiro is hard, but it rewards you for getting good, to the point that you can effectively lead bosses to do what you want (to some extent).
DS3 and ER just keep coming up with new ways to troll whatever no-cheese strategy you may have settled upon. When so many videos are dedicated to show people how to cheese a game big time, it may be a sign that the game isn’t really balanced, you know.

Demon’s Souls was my first Souls game and it broke me, but now I’d rather replay it than DS3 or ER.

DS3 and ER.

Bullshit no-stagger enemies with infinite stamina and Killer Instinct-like combos that can be shortened or extended on a whim, plus the most shameful input reading since the glory days of arcade fighting games.
The previous Souls games were hard, but honest. I never had to restart from scratch so much as in DS3 and ER, because some builds are just not viable in those games and the amount of bullshit there beggars belief.

Sekiro is hard, but it rewards you for getting good, to the point that you can effectively lead bosses to do what you want (to some extent).
DS3 and ER just keep coming up with new ways to troll whatever no-cheese strategy you may have settled upon. When so many videos are dedicated to show people how to cheese a game big time, it may be a sign that the game isn’t really balanced, you know.

Demon’s Souls was my first Souls game and it broke me, but now I’d rather replay it than DS3 or ER.

Same. I fell off the series after Dark 1. I've played the rest, but I really don't care for em as much. Sekiro being a major exception. The other souls games focused on throwing the player into tanky bosses where the focus was dodging and parrying bosses that love to delay their hits my a few milliseconds to throw you off. Rinse repeat.
Back in the day with Demon's souls, Miyazaki stated his focus for the game was never to be difficult, but to give the feeling of accomplishment. Something I definitely felt going from Demon's souls up to the latest entries. Much of that sentiment is lost now. Finishing a beast of a boss isn't a rewarding feeling anymore, its more of a "finally I can continue my game" feeling. As opposed to the feeling I got during demon's when I figured out a small mechanic that was hidden to overcome a boss.
I could ramble on and on about this, but I'll just point my finger to the Matthewmatosis video "The Lost Soul Arts of Demon's Souls", as it really just matches mostly with how I feel.

That said after all that rambling.
Sekiro and ER are easily the most difficult. Sekiro for the obvious challenge of learning such an awesome combat system. Really pushes you to learn the game if you want to survive. Isshin being one of the most difficult fights I've ever had to do in a game. Was absolutely worth the learning curve though.
Where as Elden ring becomes difficult because health bars are a suggestion and not taken into consideration. Single scratches from enemies or bosses nearly wipe you out in a single hit or two, leaving very little room to work with. Some of my fastest deaths from bosses come from this game. "Walk in, get hit with a single attack in the first few seconds. Die, repeat". Plenty of areas where enemies will just ambush you in groups, catching you off guard. Or bosses that are hours of progress ahead of you out in the lower level zones. Leaving you completely unprepared for their presence. I'm all for surprises and ambushes, but not when its the #1 go to trick to play on players.

Tg89

I think Sekiro is the hardest.

Otherwise, it really comes down to what one you played first. The Soulsborne games all end up being easier than the last one you played. The same would be true if we ever get a Sekiro sequel though, so a lot of the difficulty with that is attributed to the fact that it's the unique one.

Dr_Ifto

I put Demons Souls as one of mine, only because it was the first one. It was the one where you see a good review, buy it, get home and start playing. Only to get the shit knocked out of you constantly. Not knowing any strategy, and having to make it up as you go. Such a fun time.

Where is Kings field 1-4, Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring, Ninja Blade?

Those games exist, I played some of them, and Kings field was brutal too.

From what i heard seikero is the most, and I refuse to play it, the lack of builds, leveling and different weapons etc, really turns me off. I don't play From games for the difficulty but for the atmosphere and aesthetics.

Barakov

The hardest is obviously Sekiro. 2nd hardest is probably Bloodborne. Those two are kinda different from the souls games. In the Souls games and to an extent ER you can hack and slash your way to the end even if your bad.

Sekiro and to a lesser extent Bloodborne it's harder to do that. You'll have a much easier time if you learn the combat mechanics in both those games. Still, even if you do that, both of those games, especially Sekiro, have some pretty big hurdles that they throw at you.

Codes 208

Bloodborne has Orphan of Kos, the first Vicard and ludwig, three of some the hardest bosses in any game.

But sekiro has sword saint isshin and the demon of hatred. These two bosses likely took years of my actual life from how damn hard they were lol

Hohenheim

The worst boss in a modern from soft game is by far the duo out in the frozen wilds in DS2. That boss run... holy shit, that was insane. Getting to thst boss was harder than most bosses.
That alone makes DS2 a clear contender,although most of the game is less hard then most of their modern games.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Sekiro for sure, it's the only one that I actually straight quit on... that game was so frustrating lol.

After that I picked Demons Souls just cause I dunno... but yeah Sekiro was fuckin hard.

But I also never really played Bloodborne, I feel like that might have been my number 2. I suck at parry mechanics, Im a shield or dodge roll guy.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Sekiro and Bloodborne are the easiest answers, Bloodborne not having a block made me completely change my style of play, Gascoigne was incredibly difficult for me until i got used to it.

ER is the easiest souls game by a mile, Malenia was hard but everything else in the game was basically a one shot.

Buggy Loop

Everyone will vote based on their own made-up rules/preferences.

IMO Sekiro is the hardest due to the fact it has no Co-op/Online.

And no build variety so it's all the gameplay is tight around a very specific style, very balanced.

Anything from "Souls" is typically broken with certain builds, all of them.

I voted Armored Core 6 too but that too is broken by certain builds. But I loved the boss difficulties and I played them in a variety of builds just for fun, not to have it easy.

FeralEcho

Sekiro and Dark Souls 2 are the only answers here.

Sekiro for requiring actial skill to master and DS2 cuz it's full of jank,the others are piss easy.

I was genuinely surprised at how easy Elden Ring was after all the talk about it needing an easy mode and all that stupid shit... Outside of Malenia and Mohg which I died to for about 10-15 times each,every other boss I beat either 1st or 5th try max.The game is piss easy once you realise how exploitable the bosses elemental weakneses are.

What I was even more surprised by after playing ER is how easy Dark Souls 3 is in comparisson.Game might be the easiest souls game.

Top Bottom