• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the three oldest games in your current rotation?

poodaddy

I don't know about what qualifies as a rotation, but my daughter and I play Third Strike and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo just about every night to every other night, and I play MegaMan X 1 through 4 randomly all the time. Not sure about the dates on those, but most of them are about 30 years old or more.

Macross for Sega Saturn (love the way the anime cutscenes are integrated into the game)
s-l1600.jpg

Super Mario RPG SNES (finally reached the "Power Rangers" boss LOL)
s-l500.jpg

Grandia 2 Dreamcast (so thankful for Fast Forward on ReDream cuz those magic spell animations are too long man damn!)
20220228_204959_1024x1024.jpg

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure RIP Toriyama (incredible animation, and fun combos all while following the manga story this is a hidden gem for Dragon ball fans)
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

poodaddy

Macross for Sega Saturn (love the way the anime cutscenes are integrated into the game)
s-l1600.jpg

Super Mario RPG SNES (finally reached the "Power Rangers" boss LOL)
s-l500.jpg

Grandia 2 Dreamcast (so thankful for Fast Forward on ReDream cuz those magic spell animations are too long man damn!)
20220228_204959_1024x1024.jpg
Dreamcast and SNES love?

Regular Season Basketball GIF by NBA

PanzerCute

My best friend offered me a Retroid Pocket 4 pro for my birthday last week and I am replaying one of my BGE: Skies of Arcadia (year 2000)

And I am also playing some Power Stone 1&2, same era.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Quake 2 - although technically it's new.
Supreme Commander - Still sublime, still has an online community.
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - Dolphin on mobile has single handedly saved mobile gaming.

PanzerCute

RP4P is how I'm playing my old games too, cheers.
This was a wonderful surprise from my best friend (I am 38, I am not used to get presents anymore). I knew about these consoles but never understood how insane they are.
I have the impression to play a remastered version on Switch when I play PS2-DC and GC games. It is also lovely to have so many systems and games available in one very well made handheld.
I am really impressed.

Denton

I don't have a "rotation", only play one game at a time.

But the oldest games I have installed are:

Quake
Quake 2 RTX and Night Dive
Fallout
Fallout 2
Mafia
Deus Ex
Metal Gear Solid

Don't know about rotation, but I always have some Sierra stuff installed. I usually replay at least one of their games a year. Just something to scratch that P'n'C itch.
Ken sent me.

AndrewRyan

In order of how often they're played..

Permanently installed on my SteamDeck's m2:
2017, Nex Machina
2014, Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved

Play these every 6mo to a year:
2012, Ridge Racer Unbounded (deck)
2013, Grid 2 (deck)
2014, MetaGear Rising (deck)
2013, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm
2019, Trials Rising (switch)

violence

Ninja Gaiden Black (2005)
Quake 2 (1997) - It's the enhanced version and I'm playing the new campaign by machine games, so may not count
Red Dead Redeption (2010)
Zelda OoT (1998) pc port

Last edited:
Bubble Bobble for the Sega Master System
Golden Axe for the Sega Mega Drive
Streets of Rage for the Sega Mega Drive

I play them regularly with my girlfriend, always a good time. On original hardware and a CRT TV, of course.

Last edited:

Fredrik

1. Ori and the Blind Forrest is the oldest of the ones I’m currently playing. Kids wanted me to play it so we’re doing a playthrough now, going through Ginso Tree right now. Fantastic game! 👌

But I regularly go through Super Metroid just to see if it’s still worthy of my #1 spot. Haven’t played it since Microsoft ripped out retail Retroarch though, need to install it on the new PC.

Edit: oh three it was.
2. Hollow Knight
3. Red Dead Redemption 2

(X). Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade. Is that considered new or old? I’m going through that as well.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Doom, Shogo MAD, UT99/UT2004.

Staples that get installed on every PC I’ve ever owned (and about the only things that still run on my current PC).

Last edited:
I play older games almost exclusively these days, to the point where I'm pretty sure the newest game I've played this year was Anachronox, which released in 2001. The oldest one was The Dark Heart of Uukrul from 1989.

Billbofet

I am on vacation with my family and have been playing or beaten:
Super Mario Land 1
Super Mario Land 2
Final Fantasy Legends 1

These are on my retro handheld system that plays up to and through Dreamcast, but I am really in to Gameboy stuff lately

Audiophile

Only one really... Superstardust HD/Ultra (2007/2015) was in my rotation til I sold my PS5 and will be straight back in the second I get my Pro.

Trunx81

I’m also replaying Persona 4 Golden right now, OP. Played it on release on my Vita back in the day and dusted the old lady off to give it another go. It’s funny how many things I missed during my first playthrough and how Persona 5 changed my whole approach. For example, I didn’t know that you could clear the dungeons as fast as possible. I waited for the last days before the fog to solve them, because I feared that the game would just make a time jump after that.

I also missed a lot of Social Links because I concentrated purely on the main cast. And even for them I didn’t discover all the possibilities (like riding scooter together).

Feels like discovering the game for the first time, which is great!

Top Bottom