• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are those games so hard on Normal Mode that grown men justify turning down the difficulty to Easy?

Knightime_X

To anyone who criticizes my gaming leisure preference.

You can tell who lives with mom, works part-time low level position, has minimal responsibilities, and lots of free time. Or any combination.

I used to be an absolute BEAST at games. But instead I'm now a boss and have my priorities straight.

Sucks that I'm not as good as I used to be, but that's fine.
A video game is an investment to you.
It's a candy purchase to me.

So know your role and stfu.

Banned
To anyone who criticizes my gaming leisure preference.

You can tell who lives with mom, works part-time low level position, has minimal responsibilities, and lots of free time. Or any combination.

I used to be an absolute BEAST at games. But instead I'm now a boss and have my priorities straight.

Sucks that I'm not as good as I used to be, but that's fine.
A video game is an investment to you.
It's a candy purchase to me.

So know your role and stfu.

that is a very elaborate way to say you suck at video games that's for sure lol

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
No one needs to justify the difficulty they play at. It’s not only about time constraints, it’s about enjoying the content. Who cares how hard normal mode is? If someone wants to play through a game on “tell me a story” let them do it.

Banned
Right?
How irresponsible of me to put more important things in life first.

🤪🥳🤓

yeah, totally. but there's being bad at games, and then theres being so bad that you have to play modern games on easy, which is literally designed for people who basically never played a game before 😉 while normal usually already provides basically no challenge anymore as to not upset the casuals

Last edited:

radewagon

My question is, what game is so hard on Normal Mode that you cannot just breeze through it?
I don't recall it having an easy mode... This game is evil. It hates you. It wants you to suffer. It is stupidly challenging and unforgiving. I bought it at launch. I have never beat it. No regrets, though... I made the right choice.

iso0wJJ.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol, this fucking thread. As if playing on Normal Mode in modern games required anything more than knowing how to hold a controller.

Noxxera

Half Life 1 (Original) is pretty hard compared to todays shooters on Normal. Half lifes normal is definitely Hard in todays shooters at least. Grown men justifying lowering the difficulty to easy tho that's another question, prolly not.

Banjo64

cumsessed
yeah, totally. but there's being bad at games, and then theres being so bad that you have to play modern games on easy, which is literally designed for people who basically never played a game before 😉 while normal usually already provides basically no challenge anymore as to not upset the casuals
You’d only know that if you yourself have played several modern games on easy…

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
First gears of war got huge jump in difficulty from easy to normal. With normal really feeling harder than it should.

Noxxera

I would have turned Elden Ring down to easy for the final boss, if such an option existed.

But it didn't, so I did what I do every single time any game hands me my arse - rage quit, uninstall, never go back.
Farm, level up, respecc, continue explore stuff you haven't yet, that's what I did. But yeah it definitely wasn't a breeze first time. You need to have a decent level or stats for sure.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I would have turned Elden Ring down to easy for the final boss, if such an option existed.

But it didn't, so I did what I do every single time any game hands me my arse - rage quit, uninstall, never go back.
It surprises me that you could get all the way to Elden Beast but could not overcome Elden Beast. It took me about 2 hours to be fair, which I wasn’t prepared for because all of the hype was around Malenia.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Those Beserkers in Ragnarok kicked my fucking ass on Normal, had to drop it down to Easy

Superbean

Neo Member
I beat malenia during the tutorial encounter in elden ring. The game just wasn't fun for me, so I promptly uninstalled and steam refunded. I play the vast majority of games on easy, I don't have the free time to git gud, and by that I mean learn the finer mechanics of a dozen games every month.

Superbean

Neo Member
I beat malenia during the tutorial encounter in elden ring. The game just wasn't fun for me, so I promptly uninstalled and steam refunded. I play the vast majority of games on easy, I don't have the free time to git gud, and by that I mean learn the finer mechanics of a dozen games every month.
Oops it was Margit I guess

Banned
You’d only know that if you yourself have played several modern games on easy…

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

I did, I wanted to know. I'm a curious guy you know?
also I tried a few on normal, and normal is so unbelievably braindead in most games, that I inferred from that that easy must be like... literally just a walking sim at that point.

every time I dare to try a game on normal I am almost falling asleep basically. I usually start on the highest mode these days, unless there is none to chose from of course, or if the highest one is meant to be some special different thing (basically adding replay value)

nikos

It’s not necessarily that games are too difficult on Normal, it’s that I don’t care at all for difficulty in single player games. I usually play them for the story or experience, and “difficulty” vs AI doesn’t usually require more skill to overcome, just more time and/or effort. I’d rather spend that time on other games. I say that as someone who has plenty of time to play.

I play competitive games angainst other people for a challenge. I’ve even cut out most games with aim assist because that’s how little I care about competing vs AI.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I did, I wanted to know. I'm a curious guy you know?
also I tried a few on normal, and normal is so unbelievably braindead in most games, that I inferred from that that easy must be like... literally just a walking sim at that point.

every time I dare to try a game on normal I am almost falling asleep basically. I usually start on the highest mode these days, unless there is none to chose from of course, or if the highest one is meant to be some special different thing (basically adding replay value)
It’s funny, because I actually think the higher difficulties are brain dead because 90% of devs think increasing the enemies health pool and lowering your own = difficult. Then there’s some that think they can just make the enemies hyper aggressive to the point of ludicrousness. Having to kill a single Locust with 2 full Lancer clips felt like a challenge for me in high school but now I think it’s an absurd waste of time.

It’s fine if you like difficult, we all like what we like. Personally I like balanced games like From’s stuff, or setting my own challenges like 3 heart runs in Zelda.

I feel increased difficulty in a lot of games today often mean that enemies have more health or are bullet sponges.

That’s not worth the time to me.
This is my feeling as well. If a harder difficulty involves using new tactics/strategies, great. If it means using the same tactics/strategies as normal difficulty, but having to do more of it, then it's a boring and lazy implementation of a difficulty.

In general though, I start all games on the highest difficulty and adjust downward if needed.

Last edited:

yurinka

Maybe are grown men who aren't masochists and don't have enough time to play, so prefer to enjoy games without having to repeat moderately difficult stuff or don't want a challenge but instead to be enternained with fun and discovery.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I wasn't always bad and never implied I was extremely bad. I still chuckle when people say getting coins in mario sunshine was hard.
Ultra voilence on doom 2 is my easy mode.

I still think nes games are easy.

As for spiderman and god of war, I play those on easy because it's retarded for spiderman or kratos to get bodied by the janitor.
Not canon.

Last edited:
Hey OP, what about grown women? Are you saying it’s OK for females to turn the difficulty down?

Also, why do you care? How does this affect you? This kind of thread reminds me of the old gamefaqs posts about how if you leveled up your character or used certain builds or weapons in Dark Souls “you didn’t really beat it” some people just have this weird innate desire to police how other people play and enjoy games. Is it some kind of superiority complex stemming from an unfulfilling life? The need to exert control over some facet of a hobby that’s important to you?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I play on Normal because easy games get more boring for me after a while. When every thing goes down with one hit shit can get boring. I like a challenge even if it is unfair

People who play on Easy though are totatlly justified in doing so, thats why difficulty options exist. So long as they don't go into a game where the whole point is being hard and complain about how there needs to be a difficulty select *cough cough* Elden Ring *cough hack*

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There is something called time constraints. Not everyone is free like you.

"Time constraints". Playing on Easy completely trivializes 99% of most games mechanics. At that point, why even play the game if you aren't going to engage with its systems? I said this in the other thread as well, but this also goes to the other extreme with super difficult modes that basically require you to make very specific builds/ignore many mechanics to even survive. Neither are fun or interesting and both defeat the entire purpose of playing video games.

feynoob

Banned
"Time constraints". Playing on Easy completely trivializes 99% of most games mechanics. At that point, why even play the game if you aren't going to engage with its systems? I said this in the other thread as well, but this also goes to the other extreme with super difficult modes that basically require you to make very specific builds/ignore many mechanics to even survive. Neither are fun or interesting and both defeat the entire purpose of playing video games.
Because not everyone is like you.

People have other things to take care of and want to enjoy whatever little time that they have. They don't want stressful gaming.

At some point in life, certain things are hard to do, because of other stuff.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

People have other things to take care of and want to enjoy whatever little time that they have. They don't want stressful gaming.

If having to put the bare-minimum though and basic critical thinking into understanding a game's mechanics is "Stressful gaming", then maybe gaming isn't for you anymore. There are people with serious neurological disorders who can still knock out games like Sekiro in no hit runs. There comes a point where "things are hard to do" is not much of an excuse anymore.

Gaiff

This. Normal Mode is meant to be beaten by the vast majority of people, therefore, it's very easy most of the time. I have no idea what some people mean with time constraints. Easy Mode is going to save you what, 10 minutes? You barely die or take longer than 2-3 minutes to crush most games bosses and enemies don't even pose a challenge.

As I said, some shit like Contra III The Alien Wars where Normal requires you to be good, I understand. Modern games? Normal Mode is turning your brain off already. How much easier do you want things to be? Might as well not bother with the game at that point if the basic mechanics are beyond your time and patience.

Gaiff

Stressful gaming on Normal Mode? WTF is this? I get not turning up the difficulty 100% but turning it down from the insultingly easy default mode? I don't get it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This. Normal Mode is meant to be beaten by the vast majority of people, therefore, it's very easy most of the time. I have no idea what some people mean with time constraints. Easy Mode is going to save you what, 10 minutes? You barely die or take longer than 2-3 minutes to crush most games bosses and enemies don't even pose a challenge.

As I said, some shit like Contra III The Alien Wars where Normal requires you to be good, I understand. Modern games? Normal Mode is turning your brain off already. How much easier do you want things to be? Might as well not bother with the game at that point if the basic mechanics are beyond your time and patience.

Yep. Classical/retro games are another discussion entirely. Games like MegaMan, Contra, or Castlevania - I could see using things like Rewind/save states/easy mode as they are vastly different kinds of games.

Meanwhile games like FarCry? Uncharted? Witcher 3? Moving to Easy from Normal isn't saving you much time. It also removes most of the point of the game's mechanics. At that point, just watch a video on Youtube.

feynoob

Banned
If having to put the bare-minimum though and basic critical thinking into understanding a game's mechanics is "Stressful gaming", then maybe gaming isn't for you anymore. There are people with serious neurological disorders who can still knock out games like Sekiro in no hit runs. There comes a point where "things are hard to do" is not much of an excuse anymore.
Stressful gaming on Normal Mode? WTF is this? I get not turning up the difficulty 100% but turning it down from the insultingly easy default mode? I don't get it.
I see you guys are the cool guys, who think everyone needs to play games the way it was set up.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I see you guys are the cool guys, who think everyone needs to play games the way it was set up.

No, I just don't see the point in playing a game if you refuse to engage in its mechanics. That is the whole point of video games, by the way. To engage with its unique systems and mechanics.

I am not telling you to play on Hard, just that playing on "easy" for modern games doesn't save you time and actively detracts from the experience. So that excuse of yours is completely hollow. Same for games being "harder" as you get older for the reasons I stated earlier.

Of course, not all games are made equal. There are some modern games whose normal modes are genuinely difficult and playing on easy allows you to still engage with the mechanics of the game. Those are very few and far between. Hence why I am referring to the majority of modern games.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I mean at that point, doesn't it have the adverse effect? Easy Mode doesn't even require you to engage the game mechanics in any meaningful way anymore. Do you just set it to Easy right away? Or do you give Normal a go and turn it down if it's too annoying?
12 kids? You know what causes that right?
A weak pullout game. Got no shame to admit I can't even beat very easy mode in that one.

Last edited:

westman

For me it was Catherine, where I switched to easy difficulty a fair bit into the game. I like puzzles in games, but not doing them under significant time pressure, and Catherine on Normal eventually got less than enjoyable in that sense.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Ninja Gaiden 2 was my first Ninja Gaiden and it made me its bitch.

I'll take the flower loading screen on easy mode, thanks, and still got my ass handed to me.

Esca

I'm pretty horrible at parrying nowadays and if a boss fight where parrying is the only way to defeat it then fuck yeah easy incoming. After I turn it back, it doesn't register as anything to me to do that and I have absolutely not even the crumbs of a fuck to give for what difficulty some one else plays at

Bridges

I play normal or hard in most games, but I did play Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus all the way through on Easy and don't regret it. I still died quite a bit in the courtroom level.

Otherwise, easy is just for scraping up achievements on a second playthrough.

feynoob

Banned
I mean at that point, doesn't it have the adverse effect? Easy Mode doesn't even require you to engage the game mechanics in any meaningful way anymore. Do you just set it to Easy right away? Or do you give Normal a go and turn it down if it's too annoying?

No, I just don't see the point in playing a game if you refuse to engage in its mechanics. That is the whole point of video games, by the way. To engage with its unique systems and mechanics.

I am not telling you to play on Hard, just that playing on "easy" for modern games doesn't save you time and actively detracts from the experience. So that excuse of yours is completely hollow. Same for games being "harder" as you get older for the reasons I stated earlier.

Of course, not all games are made equal. There are some modern games whose normal modes are genuinely difficult and playing on easy allows you to still engage with the mechanics of the game. Those are very few and far between. Hence why I am referring to the majority of modern games.
Because people have other things to do. It's not really that hard to understand.

Easy option is the way for them to experience gaming and mind their business. Just like how people only like hard/hell/nightmare mode.

While games have their own mechanics and certain way to play them, it's not a must for you as a gamer to play that way. There is a reason why developers add easy option. It allows people to experience their games without any stress.

Gaiff

Because people have other things to do. It's not really that hard to understand.
For you it evidently is. Playing on Normal Mode is stressful and a waste of time apparently.
There is a reason why developers add easy option. It allows people to experience their games without any stress.
Yes, for new players who are unfamiliar with the game or gaming in general. Normal is for normal play but my bad, I didn't know it was so bad that it stresses you out.

feynoob

Banned
For you it evidently is. Playing on Normal Mode is stressful and a waste of time apparently.

Yes, for new players who are unfamiliar with the game or gaming in general. Normal is for normal play but my bad, I didn't know it was so bad that it stresses you out.
If you can't understand that, then you won't understand why people like easy mode.

I tried my best here.

calistan

It surprises me that you could get all the way to Elden Beast but could not overcome Elden Beast. It took me about 2 hours to be fair, which I wasn’t prepared for because all of the hype was around Malenia.
That thing ripped me a new one maybe 7 or 8 times. I was massively overlevelled because I'd spent ages farmng the giant dinosaur chicken but I just couldn't beat it, I had nothing left by the time it transformed to the final stage. Eventually I just realised I'd be happier without it. Would have loved to have finished the game, but it was a boss too far.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Easy, not because it was hard on Normal, but because combat felt incredibly tedious on Normal.

Top Bottom