• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2010)

Drewsky

On another forum I saw some guy make a thread about how he was going to read a book for each week of the new year. I might try to do this. I seriously doubt I'll stick to it, but it's worth a shot.

kinn

MagniHarvald said:
For 2011, so far on the bookshelf I've got Banks' The Algebraist and Matter (we'll see about Surface Detail later, got to change authors a bit :lol ), Simmons' four Hyperion books, Reynold's five Revelation Space books, The curious incident of the dog in the night-time, by Mark Haddon, Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, and La Sombra del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

2011 should be the opposite of 2010 though, I should have more time to read during the first half than during the second.

Currently half way thrugh Matter. So far so good.

Reynolds Revelation Space books are IMHO freaking amazing. One of my fav authors. If you can, read the spinoff Chasm City and standalone book Pushing ice.

Salazar

kinn said:
I plan to use that Goodreads website to keep track of what I read for 2011.

I should pay more attention to my Librarything account. I did, after all, pay for it - even if I did so for research purposes.

Mifune said:
Homicide is so fucking good. I wish David Simon would write another book.
the-corner.jpg

Glad to hear the good word on Homicide though, I bought it for my sister for Christmas without having read it myself, sounds like she'll enjoy it.

faridmon

Monsters of Men which is the third book in the trilogy of Chaos Walking. The first book (which was the Knife of Never letting go'' ) is the best one, but enjyoable read so far. Too bad its predictable.

Monsters%20front%20cover%20jpeg.jpg

faridmon

Are we making a book club now? Let me know if anything is decided, I will gladly join (never joined a Book Club before, its gonna be exciting).

I don't want to reccomend anything because I am not the sort of person that likes to read books twice but I'll get along on what ever you guys decide:D

Cyan said:
Started the first one a month or two ago, never made it more than a few chapters in. The dialect in the narrative was too irritating.
Actually, I was like you when I first started
Have you gone past when the main boy, Todd, discovers the silence?
But it got better and better. Trust me, I would reccomend putt up with it as it hits points of great surprises and intense moments.

Too bad the 2nd and the 3rd aren't as good.

Narag

Cyan said:
Is there any point to it? I already keep track of what I read with a spreadsheet (I know, I know); does Goodreads add anything?

Some social tools so you can see what your friends have read and are reading, different discussion groups you can join, giveaways you can sign up for, author blogs. Stuff like that. I really enjoy the site though. There's a NeoGAF group on there albeit rather dead nowadays.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
BruceLeeRoy said:
9780575081406.jpg

About 400 pages in and though it might be premature I am already feeling like this will be one of my favorite fantasy series of all time. The writing is truly excellent and Patrick does a skillfull job of introducing you to this world and all its wonder without resorting to boring explanations. You are just a fly on a wall throughout the book and each scene is painted with perfect detail. I love the characters and the story I just hope beyond all hope that the rest of the books can keep up this pace.
just finished this last night. awesome awesome book. can't wait for parts 1 and 2.

highly recommended to any fans of fantasy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
kinn said:
Reynolds Revelation Space books are IMHO freaking amazing. One of my fav authors. If you can, read the spinoff Chasm City and standalone book Pushing ice.
I assume he has Chasm City, it's one of the five novels written in the universe. The short story collections have some cool stuff too.

Nymerio

Quick question: I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and loving every single line of it. I usually try to avoid vampire stuff because I tend to associate them with stuff like Twilight. What other good vampire novels can gaf recommend? And please no stuff where the vampires are some angsty teenagers. I want something creepy/scary!

Salazar

Nymerio said:
Quick question: I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and loving every single line of it. I usually try to avoid vampire stuff because I tend to associate them with stuff like Twilight. What other good vampire novels can gaf recommend? And please no stuff where the vampires are some angsty teenagers. I want something creepy/scary!

The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers is really quite good. I'll have a think, but that is what springs to mind.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nymerio said:

George RR Martin - Fevre Dream
Stephen King - 'Salem's Lot
Kim Newman - Anno Dracula
Dan Simmons - Children of the Night
Nancy A Collins - Sunglasses after Dark

charsace

kruis said:
George RR Martin - Fevre Dream
Stephen King - 'Salem's Lot
Kim Newman - Anno Dracula
Dan Simmons - Children of the Night
Nancy A Collins - Sunglasses after Dark
The only book I haven't read on that list is the martin one. Anno is my favorite vampire book.

eznark

Banned
Scrow said:
just finished this last night. awesome awesome book. can't wait for parts 1 and 2.

highly recommended to any fans of fantasy.

Anyone know if part 2 is still slated for March?

Nymerio said:

Like what previous posters have recommended:

Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

One of the best vampire books I've read so far. I think it's supposed to be horror, but it was a grand ol' adventure. It's as if Mark Twain wrote a vampire story.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Nymerio said:
I don't think it's famous, but I thought the "Diaries of the Family Dracul" series was pretty good for popcorn fun. Although, I thought the overall ending to the series was pretty bad and nonsensical.

Top Bottom