• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2010)

Az987

all good things
I got a few books for Christmas.

Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War
Tokyo Vice
A Game of Thrones
The Walking Dead book 3

and my favorite, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Naturally I started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter right away.

Mifune

Mehmber
6819.jpg

David Mitchell is some kind of writer. It's no mystery that I love Cloud Atlas. This is no Cloud Atlas but it's not really meant to be. It's Mitchell's first book, and although the strain at times shows, holy hell it's still good.

Here Mitchell tackles Eastern myth and history, everything from the Tokyo subway attacks to Buddhist spirit journeys, in short self-contained tales. At least they seem self-contained until their characters cross paths in unexpected ways.

The pleasant aimlessness of some of the Japanese stories recalls Murakami; the larger-than-life myth-making and storytelling remind me of Gaiman at his best; the unfolding religious history owes a little something to Umberto Eco. The book is a smorgasbord of different styles and genres, but somehow holds together.

I can't even imagine the amount of research and traveling Mitchell must have done to exercise such control of this material. But the writing feels both uniquely his and belonging to everyone, a vivid retelling and re-imagining of some of the stories and legends that have shaped the literary world.

Mifune

Mehmber
nakedsushi said:
It's funny that you compare him to Murakami because I love Mitchell's writing, but I can't stand Murakami's.

Well, it's hard to read a story about a twenty-something jazz lover who drifts aimlessly around Tokyo without thinking of Murakami. I know Mitchell is a big fan but his work is compared to Murakami's a lot and, this obviously intentional homage aside, I just don't see it.

Mitchell's writing has matured a lot since Ghostwritten though. I mean, CA's prose is just on another planet.

Which Murakami books have you read? I'm curious why you don't like him.

Mully

Just got into Jon Stewart's Earth. Seems alright right now. The jokes and the sarcasm are the only things that are keeping me going.

Mifune said:
Which Murakami books have you read? I'm curious why you don't like him.

I read Norwegian Wood twice on accident. I read it the first time, didn't like it and forgot about it. Then I read it a second time and didn't realize I had read it till the end. I still didn't like it.

I also read After Dark.

Considering Norwegian Wood is one of his more "normal" books that people say is a good Murakami newb book and I didn't like it, I didn't bother reading the rest. I think I started Wind Up Bird Chronicles, but obviously didn't finish and don't remember much of what I read.

I guess my problem with him is that he just writes and writes and the prose DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE. Also, it seems like he's always writing about the same person: an aimless twenty-something. I always end up hating his characters.

coldvein

Banned
got phillip dick's four novels of the 1960's (man in the high castle, three stigmata of somebody, do androids dream of electric sheep, ubik) for christmas! library of america edition. such a beautiful volume. lordy. you people should check these things out..such nice books. anyway, won't be able to get started on it for a while, still reading winter's tale by mark helprin.

Mifune

Mehmber
nakedsushi said:
I read Norwegian Wood twice on accident. I read it the first time, didn't like it and forgot about it. Then I read it a second time and didn't realize I had read it till the end. I still didn't like it.

I also read After Dark.

Considering Norwegian Wood is one of his more "normal" books that people say is a good Murakami newb book and I didn't like it, I didn't bother reading the rest. I think I started Wind Up Bird Chronicles, but obviously didn't finish and don't remember much of what I read.

I guess my problem with him is that he just writes and writes and the prose DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE. Also, it seems like he's always writing about the same person: an aimless twenty-something. I always end up hating his characters.

I dunno, considering you read a fair amount of sci-fi/fantasy, I would recommend Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. That is, if you are willing to give him another shot. It's easily his tightest, most pointed narrative. It actually goes somewhere!

I like the sort of rambling stream-of-consciousness nature of his books, but I can see how you could be annoyed by his characters. I love the sad aimless loner types (I could relate for a while) but he could mix things up a bit.

Anyway, try Hard-Boiled and if you hate it, we will never speak of him again.

Drewsky

Maklershed said:
Recommendation request: Books that are reminiscent of Mass Effect - exploration of unknown planets/space being the key.
Did you finish up Forever War? What'd you think?

And as far as the recommendation, Ship of Fools might be something you'd like. It's a lot more like Dead Space than ME, but it's a really good book either way.

Drewsky said:
Did you finish up Forever War? What'd you think?

And as far as the recommendation, Ship of Fools might be something you'd like. It's a lot more like Dead Space than ME, but it's a really good book either way.

Close. I got 60 pages left and I love it. It kind of reminds me of Mass Effect in a way and now I hunger for more stories along the same line. And I already read Ship of Fools and thought it was fantastic. One of my favorites of the year.

Bii

nakedsushi said:
Now that it's so close to the end of the year, I looked at my book stats and realized I read a lot of books this year! I'm disappointed that I didn't make it to 100 books, but I certainly read more than I did last year:

29,603 pages total

That's a pretty neat site to catalog the books you've read. Did you create a category for 2010 so that all your books read in that year go there?

Bii said:
That's a pretty neat site to catalog the books you've read. Did you create a category for 2010 so that all your books read in that year go there?

No, I didn't create year categories. It just sorts them that way based on your "finished reading at" date for a book.

coldvein said:
got phillip dick's four novels of the 1960's (man in the high castle, three stigmata of somebody, do androids dream of electric sheep, ubik) for christmas! library of america edition. such a beautiful volume. lordy. you people should check these things out..such nice books.
Yes, they are awesome. I have the first two PKD collections and have quite a few more from LoA on my wish list.

coldvein

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Yes, they are awesome. I have the first two PKD collections and have quite a few more from LoA on my wish list.

glad somebody else knows of these guys. they are pricey, but so nice. the pages. the sturdiness. the compactness. the handsome covers. i've now got the PKD one and h.p. lovecraft's Tales. kerouac's road novels is next on my list.. i hope to collect these things forever.

Salazar

Allusion to the Poets by Christopher Ricks.

Bought it largely because I was so startled to find it available on Kindle. I was a fool not to have read it earlier.

coldvein said:
glad somebody else knows of these guys. they are pricey, but so nice. the pages. the sturdiness. the compactness. the handsome covers. i've now got the PKD one and h.p. lovecraft's Tales. kerouac's road novels is next on my list.. i hope to collect these things forever.
I've never even thought of them as pricey at all, going by the dollar-to-novel ratio. And yep, the Kerovac and Lovecraft collections are ones I have my eyes on as well. I want to also finish up my PKD collection, get the Crime Novels of the 1930-40s one, maybe check out some of the historical ones (Debate on the Constitution, WWII Reporting). Can see myself getting the Raymond Carver collection, as I'm reading Where I'm Calling From right now and it's fantastic.
I've got the Lovecraft LoA collection in my Amazon cart, very tempted to pull the trigger.
Do it.

Bananakin

Got a Kindle for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. Such an awesome little device. So cool to be able to decide I want a book, and then have it pretty much instantly. And it took like zero time to adjust to reading with it. Anyway, downloaded Full Dark, No Stars as my first book. Pretty good so far, on the second story.

KidDork

Lard said:
Michael Moorcock - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles.

I'm curious to see what you think of it. I was tempted to pick it up because it's Moorcock, but the price tag and the size of the text made me (reluctantly) put it back on the shelf.

kinn

nakedsushi said:
Now that it's so close to the end of the year, I looked at my book stats and realized I read a lot of books this year! I'm disappointed that I didn't make it to 100 books, but I certainly read more than I did last year:

29,603 pages total

Holly Molly! 81 books in 1 year?! Where do you get the time!

I just about managed 28 (well I'm still on 28). You must be a fast reader? Just curious but your a gamer as well right?

What about the rest of you gaffers? How many books did you guys read?

Alucrid

Banned
kinn said:

I just about managed 28 (well I'm still on 28). You must be a fast reader? Just curious but your a gamer as well right?

...do books for school count? :lol

Probably about 4-5 for school, 2 for pleasure. Hope to get in the double digits this year. Er, next year.

coldvein

Banned
i probably read.. ehh.. fifteen - twenty books this year. im trying to actually keep track of them with this goodreads thing now, so that by the end of next year i'll be able to have an actual number.

speaking of goodreads, gaf needs a new book-club book. come on people.

? for nakedsushi: how do you get your books to display by rating like that? i can only see a single column table or a bunch of covers. durrrr.

kinn said:

I guess I'm a pretty fast reader. The speed at which I go through books drastically increased after I got a Kindle. It's just so easy to pick something up and read with it. I read in the bath, on breaks at work, even on my commute to and from work thanks to the text-to-speech function.

Yeah, I game too, but I think on a day to day basis, I read more than I game. I game for maybe 1-2 hour at most a day, and then I'll probably read about 2-hours total a day.

coldvein said:
? for nakedsushi: how do you get your books to display by rating like that? i can only see a single column table or a bunch of covers. durrrr.

Are you on your review/stats page? What happens when you click the "details" button on the right? That's how I got to that page.

Guileless said:
I got the collected works of Charles Dickens on my Kindle. All I've ever read by him is A Tale of Two Cities and that was way back in high school. I have started Bleak House twice but couldn't get more than 1/4 of the way through it. Any suggestions? Great Expectations maybe? I watched Little Dorritt on Masterpiece Theater and it was excellent.

A lot of folks consider Bleak House his best (including me), so you're screwed. :D

speaking of goodreads, gaf needs a new book-club book. come on people.
Can I makes suggestions?

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith
The Great War for Civilization by Robert Fisk
Blood Meridian by McCarthy
Franny and Zooey by Salinger

Edit:
A lot of folks consider Bleak House his best (including me), so you're screwed.
Bleak House is magnificent.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Has anyone read MetaGame by Sam Landstrom? Kindle version on sale for $3 and I bought it.

I'm half-way into Feed
Just shortly after they investigated the ranch to find needles under the haystack (ha!) and the group of bloggies are discussing what was seen and draw some ideas who might have done it
but I took a small break to start on Ex-Heroes

5155IUUtSwL.jpg

survivor said:
0PQAm.png

I'm ready for this. Gonna try to finish it before school next Wednesday otherwise it will take me months to finish.

Geeze, so many people reading Way of Kings. I *want* to join the party, but after the heartbreak of Song of Ice and Fire STILL NOT BEING FINISHED I don't think I can do another epic fantasy that's not complete yet. Maybe I'll finish the Mistborn trilogy first.

KidDork

kinn said:

I checked out my stats on GoodReads and felt so proud when I saw I'd read 27 books. Then I noticed 20 of those were manga collections.

Seven books in a year? Good God. I blame Red Dead and Dragon Quest IX.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm about halfway into The Way of Kings. The going is slow because I'm reading another doorstop simultaneously, Drood by Dan Simmons.

Bananakin

kinn said:

I have a document going back three years or so listing all the books I've read, their length in pages, and how long it took me to read each. Really cool to go back and look at it, and I love seeing random stats (average book length, average time to finish a book, average # of pages read per day, etc). And of course at the end of each year I do a little year-end "summary", compiling my stats for the year and comparing them to previous years. Anyway, I don't have the document with me right now, but I remember that two years ago I read 49 books (I was shooting for 52, so close), last year it was something like 35, and this year I think it'll be 32 or 33. Having a Kindle now I hope to get back into the forty's at least this year.

I really recommend keeping track of the books you read in some form or another though. I think it's the kind of thing you really appreciate ten years down the road.

KidDork said:
I checked out my stats on GoodReads and felt so proud when I saw I'd read 27 books. Then I noticed 20 of those were manga collections.

Seven books in a year? Good God. I blame Red Dead and Dragon Quest IX.

I have the opposite problem. I'm not even past the beginning of DQ9 thanks to all the books that keep distracting me.

Flek

Banned
kinn said:

:lol i read a total of 3 books this year…

norwegian wood > loved it

39,90 > loved it even more

into the misosoup > uh … ok … 

Masamune

Bananakin said:
I have a document going back three years or so listing all the books I've read, their length in pages, and how long it took me to read each. Really cool to go back and look at it, and I love seeing random stats (average book length, average time to finish a book, average # of pages read per day, etc).

On that note, here are all the books Art Garfunkel has read since 1968:

http://www.artgarfunkel.com/library/list1.html

Kind of ridiculous. :lol

Drewsky

I read quite a few books this year (not 81 or anything like that) but these were the best ones:

Homicide by David Simon
Into the Silent Land by Paul Broks
Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

I usually supernatural books (mostly for teens and alot of vampire books, sometimes I read romance novels, other I read totally dark books. I sometimes read adult novels but stick to teen supernatural thriller novels mostly for some reason. Im seventeen btw)

Anywayz I only recently got into reading books this year and I usually read 3 at a time. Just got a kindle so some of these are just free books I found.

Just read:
Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake Book 7) By Laurell K. Hamilton
House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings Series Book 1) by Robert  Liparulo
Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery Series Book 1) by Lorena McCourtney - Not a teen book but got it for free and when I start reading a book I usually get into it nomater what its about.
The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks - A very sickly take on Vampires. Liked it alot.
To Die For / Slumber Party Christopher Pike

Currently Reading:
Wish by Alexandra Bullen
Aphrodite's Kiss by Julie Kenner
To Die For / Weekend by Christopher Pike - Christopher Pike is my favorite author. Already read the Last Vampire, Alosha, and Remember Me Series and they are all awsome. Just got alot of his books and I plan to buy them all if I can sooner or later.

Magni

kinn said:

14 this year, but I didn't read much (didn't read at all actually :eek:) from Jan to June. So this year, I read..

The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
Dune - Frank Herbert
La Fortune des Rougon - Émile Zola
1984 - George Orwell
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Ringworld - Larry Niven
Consider Phlebas - Iain M. Banks
The Player of Games - Iain M. Banks
Use of Weapons - Iain M. Banks
The State of the Art - Iain M. Banks
Against a Dark Background - Iain M. Banks
Feersum Endjinn - Iain M. Banks
Excession - Iain M. Banks
Inversions - Iain M. Banks

My favorite was Use of Weapons, but I enjoyed them all. Can't believe it took me a decade to get to 1984 after reading Animal Farm.

Currently halfway through Look to Windward by Banks.

For 2011, so far on the bookshelf I've got Banks' The Algebraist and Matter (we'll see about Surface Detail later, got to change authors a bit :lol ), Simmons' four Hyperion books, Reynold's five Revelation Space books, The curious incident of the dog in the night-time, by Mark Haddon, Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, and La Sombra del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

2011 should be the opposite of 2010 though, I should have more time to read during the first half than during the second.

kinn

Bananakin said:
Having a Kindle now I hope to get back into the forty's at least this year.

I really recommend keeping track of the books you read in some form or another though. I think it's the kind of thing you really appreciate ten years down the road.

Same here. Got a kindle now so the amount I read should go up. Just think its so bloomin cool to be able to read a book on the kindle and then carry on from where you left off from on your iPhone (or other device with Kindle software on).

I plan to use that Goodreads website to keep track of what I read for 2011. Its a good time to start since its the new year almost anyway. I think we all should and see how we do this time next year. Should be good to see how we all do.

Top Bottom