• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2010)

FnordChan

Howdy, folks. It's a new month, and thus time for a new book thread.

I just finished reading Farthing by Jo Walton, which takes place in an alternate history where England signed a peace treaty with Germany in 1941 and America never entered the war. The novel takes place in 1949, where the Reich is firmly in control of Europe, America is heavily isolationist, Japan is uncontested in Asia, and the man who brokered the peace treaty with Germany has been found murdered in a countryside estate a couple of hours outside of London. Stylistically, Farthing alternates between a first person diary by a woman who was at the estate and a third person proceedural viewpoint by a Scotland Yard detective who's trying to sort out whether the motivations for the murder were political, Semetic, or both. It was a great read and I'm pleased to see that Walton has written two sequels set in the same world, which I'm looking forward to tracking down in the near future.

32554310fca0fa01d3ea9010.L.jpg

I'm about to head off to lunch where I'll start reading The Secret Pilgrim by John LeCarre, a post-Cold War look back at the career of Le Carre's celebrated spy George Smiley. I'll report back once I have some of the book under my belt.

FnordChan

9db281b0c8a0a5b8f757a110.L.jpg

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume 1

I never read but I found these in my house so I thought, why not!

I'm going on a Ayn Rand kick this month. I just finished The Fountainhead, I am on maybe page 200 of Atlas Shrugged, and I have We the Living on hold from the library. I can't say I agree with all of her theories, but I find her prose exceedingly beautifull. I can;t figure out why people say that she is a dull writer.

nemesun

I posted it in the Feb pickup thread. I'm quite busy with those two at the moment, going to take me a week or two to finish 'em both.
20i77nb.jpg

nemesun

Lion Heart said:
9db281b0c8a0a5b8f757a110.L.jpg

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume 1

I never read but I found these in my house so I thought, why not!
You gonna love it, My favorites are "A study in Scarlet,The red-head league, and the naval treaty" so far thoroughly enjoyed it.

AeroGod

Probably going to re-read Shutter Island sometime this week to prepare for the movie, I also need to start A Feast for Crows STILL. Ive been hesitating because i know once its finished that will be it for awhile in ASoIaF. :( After that, who knows.:D

The-Dark-Tower-2-The-Drawing-Of-The-Three.jpg

I find myself really into it, and then not so much. Don't like the Odetta
/Detta
character but I will keep forging ahead.

ronito

12Kingdoms.jpg

Surprisingly light and enjoyable. Really love the symbolism in this.

apoc1.gif

Just started. we'll see how it goes.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Survey of Economics
2. Organizational Behavior
3. The Discipline of Teams

I've all but given up on that fantasy novel I was reading last month. I'll have to come back to it.

eznark

Banned
Cyan said:
The only book that ever made you laugh aloud?

Hmm. Ever read Catch 22? There's a dialogue exchange in the first chapter that made me laugh out loud. That was when I knew I was in for a treat. :) One of my favorite books.
Pretty sure I laughed out loud during every Discworld book, and constantly during Gravity's Rainbow.

Mass Effect has it's hooks in me. I read the two mostly-crappy novels and am looking for something similar, i.e. many species, galactic intrigue/politics, a well realized universe...any suggestions? It also has to be in ebook form.

Salazar

Three books I picked up second-hand yesterday.

DJ Enright's Academic Year
Charles Glass' Money For Old Rope, collected journalism principally about the Middle East.
Mark Kurlansky's 1968

I'm also planning to read Alexander the Corrector, the biography of a savant who annotated the Bible (2.5 million words of commentary) and was oddly, somewhat unjustly locked away in a London asylum - which, in those times, was a sentence for torture direct and environmental and eventual death.

AnkitT

Finished reading:
95zsq0.jpg

Why so stupid? How the human Race never really learned to think - De Bono
It read too much like an advertisement, didnt enjoy it really.

Gonna start with:
9sdm49.jpg

The big questions - Steven Landsburg
I love these freakonomics style dissection of life books!

Also reading for a test starting in a few hours :( :
4t2hrk.jpg

Just got around to finshing the Hyperion cantos. Next up is WeaveWorld followed by Imajica. Both by Clive Barker. After that I may sink my teeth into either Dune or start ASOIAF and join the ranks of those praying to whatevee diety that George RR Martin stays alive.

Speaking of epic fantasy series, does anyone have anything to say about the Mazalan: Book of the Fallen series? It seems intriguing, but I'm aware that the book divides people.

FnordChan

eznark said:
Mass Effect has it's hooks in me. I read the two mostly-crappy novels and am looking for something similar, i.e. many species, galactic intrigue/politics, a well realized universe...any suggestions? It also has to be in ebook form.

In last month's reading thread I recommended Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series to someone in a similar situation. Bujold's universe doesn't have many species, but it does have the galactic politics and well realized universe down pat. Ebook versions are available cheaply from Baen Books. There are two omnibuses you can start with, either Cordelia's Honor (the two novel backstory to the series proper) or Young Miles; I generally recommend publication order, but in this case it's things go back and forth a bit, so pick which ever one you like the look of.

I also highly recommend Vernor Vinge's two singularity novels A Fire Upon the Deep and the (way way) prequel A Deepness in the Sky, both of which have galactic civilizations, wonderfully realized aliens, exploration of interesting concepts, and all manner of drama and intrigue. Both novels won the Hugo and you absolutely want to read them. Fictionwise has you covered for ebook versions.

FnordChan

Kotick

Los+idus+de+marzo+de+Valerio+Massimo+Manfredi.jpg

Title: Ides of March
Historic novel about the conspiracy to take Julius Caesar down. I love historic novels x)

Over the past week or so I read Scott Pilgrim volumes 1, 2, and 3. I just put my order into Amazon for volumes 4 and 5. They'll be here tomorrow! I can't wait! Instantly fell in love with this series. I don't even read comics / manga to begin with, but constant recommendations from friends pushed me to pick up volume 1 on Amazon and I was instantly hooked. It's going to suck waiting for the final volume is going to kill me. Each book is somehow better than the last. Volume 2's whole River City Ransom bit at the start killed me.

scottpilgrimvol04.jpg

scottpilgrim5cover.jpg

Canti

Just finished reading:

9780099512752.jpg

The Last Dickens

Amazing book, I'll certainly be picking up more by Matthew Pearl in the future. Definitely a must have for anyone remotely interested in the final days of Charles Dickens and The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Started yesterday:

bourne-ultimatum-book.jpg

The Bourne Ultimatum

The first Bourne I read was actually Sanction; I saw this on the cheap and thought I'd give it a go. Hasn't disappointed yet.

nemesun said:
You gonna love it, My favorites are "A study in Scarlet,The red-head league, and the naval treaty" so far thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm on Study in Scarlet right now. So far its really awesome, I'm surprised how true it is to the movie :p. The movie is actually the reason I'm reading the books since I really enjoyed it and it dispelled a lot of the misconceptions I had which kept me from reading it earlier.

I have both volumes so I plan on reading both, should be done by 2015 or so :lol

Fanboydestroyer said:
Speaking of epic fantasy series, does anyone have anything to say about the Mazalan: Book of the Fallen series? It seems intriguing, but I'm aware that the book divides people.

Reading it right now. It's interesting, some really cool world building if you're into that. First three books were great, the fourth book's ending was so bad that I almost stopped reading but I decided to give it another chance. It isn't helping that book 5 (which i'm reading now) basically abandons the story of the first 4 books and covers some entirely unrelated stuff, but I hear it all comes together in the rest of the series.

The ending to book 4 left a really bad taste in my mouth.

finowns

vareon said:
51bA0cSazKL._SS500_.jpg

Very average so far.

You should stop while your ahead it only gets worse.

I finished Swans' War bk 1 - ended in the middle of the action which I found weird.

Almost done with Fall of Thanes - by Brain Ruckley.

wayward archer said:
Reading it right now. It's interesting, some really cool world building if you're into that. First three books were great, the fourth book's ending was so bad that I almost stopped reading but I decided to give it another chance. It isn't helping that book 5 (which i'm reading now) basically abandons the story of the first 4 books and covers some entirely unrelated stuff, but I hear it all comes together in the rest of the series.

The ending to book 4 left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I do like world building quite a bit. Sucks to hear about the ending of the 4th book. I think I'll give this series a shot though. Not sure when I'll get around to it though

I also found A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky (I had lost them for a few months) maybe I'll read them after WeaveWorld and Imajica. I wish I didn't have a psychology final to study for, this is taking away from valuable reading for enjoyment time. XD

eznark

Banned
FnordChan said:
In last month's reading thread I recommended Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series to someone in a similar situation. Bujold's universe doesn't have many species, but it does have the galactic politics and well realized universe down pat. Ebook versions are available cheaply from Baen Books. There are two omnibuses you can start with, either Cordelia's Honor (the two novel backstory to the series proper) or Young Miles; I generally recommend publication order, but in this case it's things go back and forth a bit, so pick which ever one you like the look of.

I also highly recommend Vernor Vinge's two singularity novels A Fire Upon the Deep and the (way way) prequel A Deepness in the Sky, both of which have galactic civilizations, wonderfully realized aliens, exploration of interesting concepts, and all manner of drama and intrigue. Both novels won the Hugo and you absolutely want to read them. Fictionwise has you covered for ebook versions.

FnordChan
Thanks, I will definitely check them out. Man those Bjold covers are atrocious!

Trying to get back into the swing of things so

5180pGb1lmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51qUhqfgCbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I am reading it again but this book basically has become my gospel in terms of how Paul used his Jewishness in his writings and the influence on how the present day Church views the gospel.

Top Bottom