• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2010)

Dresden

n271760.jpg

What a goddamn abortion of a novel. I usually love his books, but his latest novels are usually bloated and way too damn long. Drood felt like Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, but worse, which is saying something.

The Chef said:
This is my first Clancy book and dear god this book is terrrrrible. :lol but extremely entertaining in parts.

Clancy totally went to shit after Clear and Present Danger. That was at the point where he stopped being edited. Just start with Red October, work your way forward, and stop there.

Max

I am not Max
Do%20androids%20dream%20of%20electric%20sheep.jpg

Having some trouble getting into it because I thought Blade Runner was boring and I just mirror that onto the book it's loosely based on, expecting more boring.

Having some trouble getting into it because I thought Blade Runner was boring and I just mirror that onto the book it's loosely based on, expecting more boring.
Then go somewhere else with your weak ass shit :lol

I'm just kidding. Maybe science fiction isn't for you? Maybe read Man in the High Castle instead of Androids?

Max

I am not Max
afternoon delight said:
Then go somewhere else with your weak ass shit :lol

I'm just kidding. Maybe science fiction isn't for you? Maybe read Man in the High Castle instead of Androids?
Nah sci-fi is all I'm into. I'm sure I'll finish Androids if I keep reminding myself that the book is always better than the film adaptation.

Just finished up The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and loved it. I will be getting some more of Murakami's books in the future.

For now I am starting The Founding by Dan Abnett. I have been in a Warhammer 40k mood after playing Dawn of War 2. I have heard good things and look forward to starting it this week.

theFounding.jpg

Yasser

SoulPlaya said:
Read the book last year, felt like a drudge, but some of the characters are really interesting.
yeah i'm only about 130 pages in but the characters and dialogue/interaction between them have been great
Karakand said:
I once had Shane Bettenhausen described to me as Genghis Cohen, but for Japanese video games.
whoever made that comparison sounds like an amazing and cool guy

<3

Numpt3

Max said:
You sir are a heathen. I kid :p

ngower

Vox-Pop said:
LSriU.jpg

Hopefully I finish it today if time allows.

I started it and breezed through it reading about 20 minutes a night until about a month ago when I was about thirty pages from the end and just stopped reading....I'm still on the last "chapter" if you will:lol

X26

Banned
Finished:
The Children of Hurin - just terrible

Almost finished:
Foundation - just got to "traders", have really enjoyed it sofar

Starting:
I, Robot
The elephant vanishes

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Salazar said:
Just finished Asterios Polyp and Logicomix.

Two of the best graphic novels I've ever come across. My word.

I have Logicomix on order, that's good to hear.

I read Good Man Jesus and Scoundrel Christ last night. Very quick read. Meh.

Finished A Clash of Kings and on to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. But something tells me I'll be wishing I just moved right on to A Storm of Swords.

finowns

51C0BETFZkL._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I really like this series. Sci-fi military space opera; tech wise its pretty believable.

Pure entertainment with lots of action, a lot of military jargon that adds a surprising amount of realism to the book. You get a good feel for the governments and bureaucracy of the day.

Main character is likable but the series main focus is him kicking ass and taking home medals.

For some reason the book cover makes it seem like army/marine type but the main character is a ship officer.

Salazar

Musashi Wins! said:
I have Logicomix on order, that's good to hear.

It is glorious, and the glossary at the back is a fine thing.

It makes me crave more graphic novel biographies of philosophers and mathematicians - a faintly melancholy craving, really, given that a glut of such is hardly likely.

Asterios Polyp was a surprise. I had heard good things (and Pantheon does not publish rubbish comics, by and large), but it stunned me.

movie_club

Bah! I wanted to read so much this summer, but I only made it a little bit into Huck Finn before getting distracted by the awesomeness of Scott Pilgrim! I think I will go and start Animal Farm right now......

KidDork

Fourman said:
Just finished up The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and loved it. I will be getting some more of Murakami's books in the future.

For now I am starting The Founding by Dan Abnett. I have been in a Warhammer 40k mood after playing Dawn of War 2. I have heard good things and look forward to starting it this week.

theFounding.jpg

Abnett is always a solid writer, and even though I have never played Warhammer, it was the fact that he wrote some of the books that got me into them. Sometimes, spin off books can read like bad fanfic, but Abnett brings the class. His comic book work--especially on NOVA and GUARIDANS OF THE GALAXY--is also very, very enjoyable.

Stealth

Maklershed said:
Finished A Clash of Kings and on to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. But something tells me I'll be wishing I just moved right on to A Storm of Swords.

I read those in the opposite order, but trust me... hold out on the Martin. At least you can finish the Larsson trilogy before catching up to the end of ASOIAF, which I what I plan to do. I read all of the comments from the anxious fans in the OT and it makes me glad I'm only letting myself read one of the books every few months. :lol

The Chef

sparky2112 said:
Clancy totally went to shit after Clear and Present Danger. That was at the point where he stopped being edited. Just start with Red October, work your way forward, and stop there.

Man were you right. I just finished it and I immediately tossed it. What a bunch of garbage. I have, though, been wanting to read Hunt for Red October so I'm sure I'll check that out.

Kuraudo

Banned
So I'm looking to start reading Vonnegut, Dick and Murakami. I'm planning to pick up Slaughterhouse 5, Ubik and Wind-up Bird Chronicles.

Are these good entry points for their respective authors or does anyone recommend something else?

Aegus

First Murakami book I read was Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

Wind-up Bird is considered his best, although I have a soft spot for Norwegian Wood.

charsace

Max said:
Do%20androids%20dream%20of%20electric%20sheep.jpg

DAMN. Blade Runner is my favorite movie. You read, "I have no mouth, and I must scream?"

thomaser

Kuraudo said:
So I'm looking to start reading Vonnegut, Dick and Murakami. I'm planning to pick up Slaughterhouse 5, Ubik and Wind-up Bird Chronicles.

Are these good entry points for their respective authors or does anyone recommend something else?

I might have chosen another Murakami-book. Wind-up is my favourite, but it is his longest, and has a few passages that some people find too long. I'd read The Wild Sheep Chase first. It's shorter, and a great introduction to his special brand of surrealism.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
The finest novel I have ever read:
hesse_steppenwolf.jpg

zaxor0

CHEEZMO™ said:
Just got started on this:

1719-1.jpg

Wish me luck!
Are you reading this for fun? I had to read sections of it for a history course, its not something most people pick up. I liked it, but not something I would venture to read unless I wanted to use it for a paper of some sort.

Im going to finish the last half of this today:
9780312424053.jpg

Will have finished this sometime thursday before my class:
9780809096619.jpg

And the last book I'll be reading in June is:
9781859842973.jpg

thomaser

41adOkkXUzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath". Took a while to read, mostly because I dreaded that something terrible would happen by the end of it, and I didn't want to get overwhelmed by it. Well, it was a downer all right, but not as bad as I thought. Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" is similar in many ways, but even harsher and more depressing. I still loved reading TGoW... the language is wonderful, in true Steinbeck style, and it has many, many moments of great beauty and hope. Makes me grateful to live in this time and place...

517Vefn%2BGLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now, on to another Ibsen play, "The Wild Duck". Often regarded as his best.

41683QNEDwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

After that, "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell. His books are always fascinating.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
city-of-ruin-by-mark-charan-newton.jpg

City of Ruin by Mark Charan Newton. A follow-up to a good, but unpolished debut, <strong>Nights of Villjamur</strong>, it's supposed to be an improvement in almost every category. Despite the cartoonish cover, it's a dark, <em>Dying Sun</em>-style Fantasy with a lot of inspiration drawn from China Mieville, Jack Vance, Raymond Chandler and Gene Wolfe. Worth a shot, if you're bored of stereotypical fantasy.

BenjaminBirdie said:
511InGtz1EL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

VERY funny.
VERY sad.
VERY good.

Highly recommended to anyone who likes good things.

Ha! Just read this too. Ditto.

Now go read his previous novel, The Zero. It's even better. Promise. :D

Lear

Read
9780199540341.jpg
and
resized_9780747560593_224_297_FitSq.jpg
yesterday.

The rest are on my pile for the next few weeks or so. Probably starting with
wisechildren.jpg

then re-reading
6a00e398a2919a000100e398cb71ab0004-.jpg
and these two are my long term projects for the summer. The last time I attempted Ulysses I lasted about 3 pages in, so I thought I'd give it another try.
9780140449099L.jpg

9780141182803.jpg

Halcyon

I'm in the middle of
6a00c2251c536cf2190110166a08e7860c-500pi

I'm really enjoying the series so far. I like the mixture of fantasy and reality with the story and characters.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
It_cover.jpg

I'm two hundred pages into It by Stephen King. Considering that it's around 1300 pages all in all there's still a lot to read. Good read so far, though.

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now, and I finally got it delivered from Amazon yesterday.

It's considered one of the very best Disney biographies.

eznark

Banned
Yasser said:

I haven't started it yet, sadly. I fired up The Blade Itself while downloading The Overton Window and been reading that when I've had the time. Should be done with that tonight though so I will start Beck's dangerous work tomorrow.

The Blade Itself, by the way, is excellent. I always feel bad when I read fantasy though, seems childish in some way...maybe because it's what I read exclusively as a tike.

itsinmyveins said:
It_cover.jpg

I'm two hundred pages into It by Stephen King. Considering that it's around 1300 pages all in all there's still a lot to read. Good read so far, though.

Book is amazing.

I'm on to part two, might move to something else before reading the third and fourth.

51BDYDWFHXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Judge

zero margin said:
Book is amazing.

I'm on to part two, might move to something else before reading the third and fourth.

Move to something else after the third. You can read the fourth when the fifth comes out, but you must not stop before the third.

finowns

51wdtUoxIML._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Best urban fantasy book I have read besides Dresden Files; A lot more grittier and darker.

Its surprisingly well written considering its the authors first book (better than Storm Front). The next book in the series comes out Aug 31. Its definitely going to help with the wait for the next Dresden book.

Fnord I'm thinking you will really like this.

Salazar

BertramCooper said:
I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now, and I finally got it delivered from Amazon yesterday.

It's considered one of the very best Disney biographies.

Well, Gabler got access and authorisation, whereas the other biographers - a number of whom have shown the full detail of Disney's nastiness - were locked out. There's an upside and a downside to authorised biographies.

This is quite a good podcast (as indeed are all the Philadelphia Library's recordings) of Gabler talking about the book, his research, and so on.

http://libwww.library.phila.gov/podcast/?podcastID=169

The Judge said:
Move to something else after the third. You can read the fourth when the fifth comes out, but you must not stop before the third.

Yeah, I read the first three all at once, but never got around to the fourth. I figure I'll just wait for something definite about the fifth book to stop procrastinating. And I'm not sure how you could have the third available to you and just wait on it after finishing the second.

Top Bottom