• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading-June ?

mr stroke

didn't see anything for June so....

Just started this because of a GAF recomendation and its amazing so far :)

0156007754_01_LZZZZZZZ-799193.jpg

Flynn

This month has been productive.

The Queen's Gambit -- Walter Tevis
A very matter-of-fact exploration of addiction as told through the life of an orphaned child chess prodigy. Very effective and dramatic. Was to be Heath Ledger's directorial debut.
414CFVT7NSL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

World War Z -- Max Brooks
I wasn't buying this book at first. I thought the format, much like Murakami's Underground, but entirely faked, was cheap -- every person the guy interviewed had an amazing story. But once I got over that I loved the sci-fi, what-if angle. Nobody has explored the zombie story this thoroughly and this modernly.
51OihQuDeWL._SS500_.jpg

Wild Wives -- Charles Willeford
Willeford is one hell of a writer. This is straight-up period crime pulp, but it's so damn good. If you like the modern crime guys like Hiaasin or Leonard I'd argue that Willeford kicks both of their asses.
512E739BMFL._SS500_.jpg

WedgeX

Banned
ulysses.jpg

Ulysses - Joyce

Trucking along with this now, about a third of the way through. Not sure what's next on the agenda (my last three, by Weiner, Tolstoy and Coffin were fairly amazing [life altering, I guess], but didn't really point me towards any new books).

I've recently discovered Arturo Pérez-Reverte and after reading

41XDFK7MZBL._SS500_.jpg

I've been completely sucked in the splendid saga of Captain Diego Alatriste. Now I'm currently reading

0399153209.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and put

n139527.jpg

0297852477.jpg

in the backlog, cannot wait to read more

elseanio

Recently got Golden Compass on Blu-Ray and loved the idea. Felt like they missed a whole lot out, so started this

Northern_lights.jpg

Hootie

Quazar said:
I want to pick up some Michio Kaku books but I'm not positive if I'll understand them.

:lol We're on the same boat. I'm really interested in his writings but I wouldn't know how to approach/understand any of it.

Tamanon

Banned
51MBGfOSbnL._SS500_.jpg

Really sets the blood to boiling when you look at how shoddy the intelligence used for the Iraq war was.

51tvu53eeFL._SS500_.jpg

Goddamn hilarious and insightful. About a man who basically entered Hagee's church, joined a 9/11 Truther group and others.

And.....sadly....

51JFSpfiT9L._SS500_.jpg

I AM WEAK SOMETIMES!

I just quickly re-read the Narnia series after seeing Prince Caspian, and found it surprisingly enjoyable, even to this day. I just started Douglas Adam's "A Salmon of Doubt." Not sure what to think of that yet.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Still reading

51JDhp9birL._SS500_.jpg

But I recieved this last week so that gout put on the back burner.

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Good so far, even if Erikson is a better writer. Nice action, and lots of familiar names and some familiar faces.

His Dark Materials.

I hope to finish it, before Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out.

Dark FaZe said:
book_harry7.jpg

I'm a little late, but so far its a good read and I'm enjoying it much more than I did book 6.
Man, I'm probably going to be the last person on Earth to read this.

Still reading

2zdsl91.jpg

Been reading this one for months and I'm only half-way through.

Just started

watchmen-cover.jpg

I am not a fan of comics and I never will be, but this is pretty good so far. I have read the first 5 chapters and I can't wait for the big catalyst in the dystopian world that Alan Moore has created.

Dagon

Until Wednesday I'll be reading this:

41%2BV3nL8ahL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

And once that exam is done I can start going through my Amazon wishlist again. I haven't allowed myself to read for fun in a while.

thomaser

41I5gwnl3CL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Still inching slowly through The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu. Have been at it for well over a month, and I'm not even half-way. It's big.

Can't read only that book, so I've been going through a few others at the same time:
- Right now, volume 3 of the 4-volume complete stories by Alexander Kielland, one of the best Norwegian authors. Currently reading "Fortuna".
- Before that, The Drawing of the Three, second book in the Dark Tower-series by Stephen King.
- Before that, The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Wow, what a strange book! Recommended for all fans of surrealism.
- And before that, The Gunslinger, the first Dark Tower-book.
- Next will be The Wastelands, Dark Tower no. 3.

41HTD056KWL._SS500_.jpg

First time. Had no idea what it was about (at all) prior to picking it up but it's fantastic - genuine laugh out loud moments and quite unique to anything I've read before.

Gattsu25

Banned
2pzib9u.jpg

Was recommended to me in the last 'What are you reading" thread and I really enjoy it. Around 3/4 done with it so far...I should just finish the book off tonight

Top Bottom