• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2010)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
nn1qn5.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Online Book Stores

http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books

http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads

What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

If you have some good links post them and i will put them in.

J-Roderton

Just bringing this over from the last thread. I posted in it a little too late.

4sflfa.jpg

Pretty cool book. Not a story or anything to it. Just like a lesson about marriage and how it changed from hundreds and hundreds of years.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Tokyo Doesn't Love Us Anymore by Ray Loriga
34e5o55.jpg

It is a first-person account of a travelling drug salesman. He goes to different places around the world, peddling a memory erasing drug. Various minor characters act as outlets for the authors musings on memory. Told through a mental haze of pretty much every drug ever invented and smattered with promiscuous sexual encounters of all varieties, the protagonist eventually begins sampling his own product.

My friend insisted I read this book and I'm glad he did. Ray Loriga is definitely author worth reading. Tokyo Doesn't love Us Anymore is my first novel by him and I absolutely love it. Hooked me up right from the start and I only have 50p to go and pile of other Loriga's book are waiting for me already :) Brutal story of an happy global chemical trader is more real than you would believe. Fuzz Rez says: Read it!

edit: If you like Philip K. Dick you might like this :)

Micius

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I be reading this

7689126.jpg

Would you recommend the Rain Wild Chronicles? I've read and enjoyed Hobb's FitzChivalry Farseer books and the Soldier Son trilogy, I guess I need to go through the Liveship Traders series first before I move on to this?

I'm about half-way through 'The Man in the High Castle' by Phillip K. Dick;

man_in_the_high_castlelarge.jpg

And I just re-read 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S. Thompson yesterday;

rum-diary.jpg

J-Roderton

Fuzz Rez said:
Tokyo Doesn't Love Us Anymore by Ray Loriga
34e5o55.jpg

My friend insisted I read this book and I'm glad he did. Ray Loriga is definitely author worth reading. Tokyo Doesn't love Us Anymore is my first novel by him and I absolutely love it. Hooked me up right from the start and I only have 50p to go and pile of other Loriga's book are waiting for me already :) Brutal story of an happy global chemical trader is more real than you would believe. Fuzz Rez says: Read it!

You've convinced me.

Salazar

I am reading the following for work and a little pleasure.
John Carey's The Intellectuals and the Masses
Donald Sassoon's The Culture of the Europeans
A.L. Rowse's All Souls and Appeasement
Dominic Sandbrook's Never Had it So Good - this is, despite the fine reviews, a bad book.
Robert Shoemaker's The London Mob: Violence and Disorder in Eighteenth-Century England

And this is exclusively for pleasure.

72adkg.jpg

Debut novelist Tregillis breathes new life into alternate military history with this fun take on WWII. In this version of 1939 Germany, the insane Dr. von Westarp has given WWI orphans superpowers, such as fire-starting, intangibility, and invisibility. As they use their abilities to aid German expansion, young mutant Klaus starts to suspect that he and the other soldiers are being manipulated by his precognitive sister, Gretel. Meanwhile, British secret agent Raybould Marsh recruits his old college buddy, magic-wielding aristocrat Will Beauclerk, to the British cause. Tregillis has trouble fleshing out characters and is overly fond of worn-out plot devices—a disastrous raid survived only by the protagonists, an urchin destined for greatness—but the action sequences are exciting and intense, and the clash of magic and (mad) science meshes perfectly with the tumultuous setting.

Tregillis is a Los Alamos physicist and a member of G.R.R. Martin's writing collective. It's good.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Micius said:
Would you recommend the Rain Wild Chronicles? I've read and enjoyed Hobb's FitzChivalry Farseer books and the Soldier Son trilogy, I guess I need to go through the Liveship Traders series first before I move on to this?

Unless your a hard core Hobb fan, probably not. That may depend on how the last 3/4 of this book turns out though :D

Salazar said:
Bitter Seeds

Tregillis is a Los Alamos physicist and a member of G.R.R. Martin's writing collective. It's good.

Got that on my to watch list.

thomaser

Finished Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" last night. I have almost zero knowledge of American politic history, so the more technical aspects of f.ex. how the democratic convention in Miami developed went far above my head. Apart from that, though, I really liked it. I love Thompson's wild style.

Now, about to start Ibsen's "A Doll's House". Should be a quick read, might finish it later today. After that, "Measuring the World" by Daniel Kehlmann. Read Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon" earlier this year, so I have the measuring-jargon down pat:

51vicFFQg4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Monocle

The New Oxford Book of Light Verse selected by Kingsley Amis
The Portable Atheist selected by Christopher Hitchens

And I'm revisiting some Mark Twain. The Portable Atheist will probably take me forever to get through, as anthologies tend to do.

Cohsae

Bout halfway through Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which has been keeping me entertained during my lunchtime breaks from studying for trimester 1 exams.
Once
my one week of
holidays start and I can read again I have a few books lined up but I think I'm going to sink my teeth into 2666 by Roberto Bolano.

Ruuppa

Just finished Daemon, now reading this:

FREEDOM.jpg

So far not as good as Daemon, but still worth buying it immediately after reading the prequel.

Tralfamadore64 said:
How is that?
I want to know this too. Got interested after the horrifying thread about NK.

Lirlond

Plan on reading Foundations by Isaac Asimov

foundation_lg.jpg

after that, Non-Stop, by Brian Aldiss.

n2578.jpg

and i'm gonna try and squeeze in In the Country of Last Things, by Paul Auster.

PaulAusterCountryOfTheLastThings.jpg

When I'm done with those I'll be re-reading the SOIAF series.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Shouldn't Amazon's book store be in the OP ? Kindle books, new and used books, first editions and etc. ? Amazon has it all.

yonder

the-brief-wondrous-life-of-oscar-wao.jpg

Haven't finished a book that quickly in ages. I loved just about everything about it. I'm definitely gonna have to get a hold of Díaz's collection of short stories, but in the meantime I'm moving on to No Country For Old Men.

Kola

Hunter S. Thomson, Philip K. Dick, Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy and The Forever War. Great taste GAF. I'm impressed.

Currently reading alot of Greene, right now:
9780099282587.jpg

Kuraudo

Banned
Still working my way through these:

2yv8i7m.jpg

Endymion is virtually on hold for crimes against interest.

Perdido Street Station is pretty damn good, but I'm halfway through and getting a little tired of Mieville's city building. I've got a feel of it now, don't really need another three page description of the city scape, thank you. So yeah, good but dull in place.

Boredom of my modern speculative fiction has done wonders for my classic reading. Discovered the Wordsworth Classics and Penguin Popular Classics in a bookstore near work and immediately bowed to their prices.

nx7r6p.png

Really not sure what to make of them. The Wordsworth edition of Hamlet is fantastic, but I wish they'd gone for a more modern translation of Homer. As for the Penguins... they're hideous little books.

Loving the Shakespeares. Haven't read any since A-Level (when I probably would have balked at the idea of reading him for entertainment), but I'm finding the iambic pentameter really relaxing.

Struglling with the Odyssey. Made two attempts at the first book so far, but I'm finding it hard to focus and keep track of what's going on. I'll try again when I'm not tired, but I really wish I'd gotten the Fagle's translation instead.

giri

Forsete said:
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
41Qd2xG0hfL._SS500_.jpg
Currently reading this too. It's................ eye opening. I'm only about 60 pages in and it centres aroudn the life of one or 2 familys so far and the short history i've gotten. It paints an unfavorably portrait of communist life in North Korea for sure. It might not be the most descriptive retelling you read, but the pace of the book so far is good, Demick keeps the stories going to the point that it seems a very light read, whilst it is a very solid retelling.

I'd reccomend it if you were interested in the topic matter at all, but as i said, i'm only 60 pages in. It might get worse/better as i go.

It was how ever, completely sold out at my local borders, had to go to 2 other book stores, so it's proving popular.

ThroneOfJade.jpg

Been reading this lately. It's definitely better than the first, but it can get a bit tedious at time. The majority of the book takes place on a long voyage, which means there's a lot of Laurence wandering around the ship talking to people. Oddly enough, that is what makes the book fun to me, as I've yet to actually get into Novik's action scenes.

41JozJwDt7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just started climbing Mount IJ again after reading the Lipsky book. Sure, it's not the Everest of reading, nor even the K2...it's more like the Kilimonjaro. Anyway, I had one re-read stall out about a year ago, but then it hit me that it's been 8 YEARS since my first read, so it's time, and it's clicking again, unlike my last attempt.

Sneaking in Girlfriend in a Coma: A Novel (P.S.) by Douglas Coupland as well. Pretty good. She just woke up.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
og9xu8.jpg

Been reading it for like 3 months now. I only have time to read it on the bus, so it's a slow process. Almost done though! :)

Yonn said:
I'm definitely gonna have to get a hold of Díaz's collection of short stories, but in the meantime I'm moving on to No Country For Old Men.

Drown is good, but I fully support the move to McCarthy first!

Reading (in text form, 'cause I hate linking images):

Going After Cacciato, Tim O'Brien
The Girl on the Fridge, by Etgar Keret (met him at AWP; he is amazing <3)
various lit mags, too; just got in the latest Black Warrior Review. Huzzah!

Yasser

Falch said:
http://a1.vox.com/6a00c22528f9988e1d01240b738541860e-500pi[IMG]

75 pages in, my first book by Joyce. Quite good so far.[/QUOTE]

check out the love letters he wrote to his wife too

a-thousnad-splendid-suns.jpg

A thousand splendid suns.

Really good but also depressing story. Very easy to read, too. It's a book I'd like to see made into a movie, also.

S. L.

Logos said:
Halfway through this.Plan is to finish every foundation book by end of summer.

*prelude to foundation*
read this last month and thought it's genuinely bloated, boring and bad

Tacitus_ said:
Just finished
*the forever war*
this on the other hand is excellent

anyways, recently finished:
0060934913.jpg

great read and that guy sure had a crazy fucked up life :lol

and
200px-TheStranger_BookCover3.jpg

:O :O

not sure what to read next, looked a bit into Dawkins God Delusion, but it doesn't seem that interesting

image-5F42_4BDDC402.jpg

In the last chapter. A prefect combination of great characters, great mood,
and an awesome story:D .

image-3F05_4BDDC402.jpg

got the Catcher in the Rye couple of days from amazon.
I'll read it as soon as I'm done with Norwegian Wood.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
From the other thread:

The Insulted and Humiliated-Dostoevsky
Twenty Years After-Dumas
A Lion's Tale-Jericho
Have a Nice Day-Mick Foley
To Be The Man-Ric Flair
The Name of the Wind-Rothfuss
The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing-Dawkins (and multiple others)
The Private Life of Chairman Mao-Dr. Li
Oblomov-Gacharov

And I'm trying to read some Kierkegaard, but I have enough on my plate right now. This summer will be filled with reading.

Kuraudo

Banned
41LHomor7lL._SS500_.jpg

A copy of this ended up in my house and I figured that, with all the bashing of Meyer I do, I should really read the book so I can do it with some authority.

God help me.

It's not too bad so far. Meyer's far from being a good writer, but she's competent enough and I've seen a lot worse writers get published. Her main crime is being so damn popular despite a distinct lack of talent. Stop being successful damn it :p

Top Bottom