• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? |OT|

Cyberpunkd

I noticed some threads regarding books read, but nothing in the last couple of years. People sometimes post about books they bought in "What did you buy?", so I thought we need a dedicated thread.

I got back to my periodical "W40K hole":

Eisenhorn - Xenos + Malleus (part of Eisenhorn Omnibus)

812ajJ5QA5L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Since my daughter is not sleeping I got a chance to progress a bit on the Eisenhorn trilogy, finishing the first two books. They are interesting but I wouldn't say they are "great introduction to the world of 40K" - there is not enough exposition, and they are not bleak enough (which as I understand the next trilogy - Ravenor - corrects). They read like good detective novels in the 40K universe. As a result of "not bleak enough" some scenes are sometimes silly - Eisenhorn meeting friends for drinks and food ; assisting at the wedding ; thinking about romantic relationship and complementing a woman "she looks nice". This coming from a person that has a right to order complete planetary annihilation (Exterminatus). Although I don't think I should judge it too harshly given it was released in early 2000s...

James Corey - Leviathan Wakes (Audiobook)

51Y8QPmaGoL.jpg

Now this is a PoS I dropped half-way. It's just so batshit incredibly generic, with the same tropes about Earth, Mars, Belters (people living on asteroids), tensions between them, etc. The dialogue is incredibly simplistic which is even exemplified by the narration. 99% of the exchanges are like this:

"Something", Holden said.
"Something else", Miller said.

The characters are incredibly generic as well - Miller is your typical down-to-earth cop that fell on hard times, bla bla bla.

I went on Wikipedia and apparently the book gets better towards the end, however (I think at this point I was listening for 7-8 hours) I don't even want to get to this point, everything before is just so painfully dull.

Top Bottom