• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2010)

sparky2112 said:
410fnArnheL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Did someone mention a golden age? Don't forget this one. Currie does about as good a job of channeling David Foster Wallace (without looking at all like he's mimmicking) as anyone I've read. Just a brilliant performance. He slides in and out of various voices with a sickening degree of ease. This book deserves to be every bit as big as some of the recent heavy-hitters.

High praise indeed. I'll put it in the queue behind Freedom.

sikkinixx

julian

Very well written, amusing dialog between Libanius and Priscus, though I do think Vidal makes Libanius out to be a bit more whiny than I sensed from his writing.

Having just done a lengthy paper on Julian, it's interesting to see what he decides to focus on and how he tried to portray the emperor (a bit too favourably I think, but then so was I according to my supervisors)

eznark

Banned
Salazar said:
Pleasure, I assume, and (literally) business. Nice.
:lol

Reminded me of the time my father-in-law saw me reading one of Victor Davis Hanson's books on Democracy: "they make you read that stuff in grad school....or is that pleasure readin'?"

He said it with such distaste! I've never met such a successful person who so hated reading.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
GAF, where should I start with Dostoevsky? Crime and Punishment? I am finally getting a Kindle this week, too.

Top Bottom