• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September)

Mau ®

Currently: Crime & Punishment

I will resume reading "The Dagger" (from His Dark Materials trilogy) and will start reading the Zohar soon.

I just finished Into The Wild a couple minutes ago. I really enjoyed it.

I'm also finishing up this:

2004-8-2-2004-8-2-1421-cover.jpg

Very interesting.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just finished a book and am in the mood to read another Hunter S Thompson book. I've read Fear and Loathing in LV and The Rum Diary. What are his best books besides those?

Oreoleo

Ender's Game. Really awesome.

edit: I love how every month there's someone new reading Arthur C Clarke for the first time :)

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Matt_09 said:
about 20 pages left... fucked up. But very good.

200px-AmericanPsychoNovel.jpg
Agreed.
Currently this:
51J9D25ZMGL._SS500_.jpg

Then this if I can find the time:
41xRQnvIjwL._SS500_.jpg

Threads like this make me realize how much Gaf can be like Twitter sometimes. Mind you, this is where I find interesting books.

road_narrowweb__300x485,0.jpg

Got the book 7 hours ago and I am about 200 pages in, absolutely gripping stuff.
Aside from the fact that I am looking up a new word in my dictionary every 30 seconds
its one of the most atmospheric books I have read in a while.

MIMIC said:
Just finished last night:

0425188809.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ahh man I love that damn dog. One of the few Koontz books that delivers from beginning to
end.

Flynn

Mifune said:
Motherfuckin' Anathem by Neal Stephenson.

So far it's like learning a new language.

Need to grab this, the new Cul De Sac collection and that new book The Terror, by Dan Simmons.

Danielsan

I finished Kafka on the Shore last week.
The whole thing was a crazy experience. I loved the Nakata storyline, Hoshino and Nakata are such appealing characters. The Kafka storyline was a bit fucked up with all the implied incest, still a great read though.

Next up:
n54ls5.jpg

BruceLeeRoy said:
Aside from the fact that I am looking up a new word in my dictionary every 30 seconds
Man I always felt ashamed for doing that despite being pretty good at English (not my native language). Some writers really love to flaunt their insane vocabulary. :lol

demon said:
I just finished a book and am in the mood to read another Hunter S Thompson book. I've read Fear and Loathing in LV and The Rum Diary. What are his best books besides those?

Hell's Angels, or Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail (if you want to brush up on american political studies haha, it's a hard read, with plenty to research, but the amount of knowledge I gained afterward was priceless). I find his writing style almost hypnotic in those. :)

FnordChan

demon said:

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is the best thing the man ever wrote and there's no better time to read it than in the midst of the current campaign. For more choice early Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt collects a lot of his early writings. While the pre-gonzo material is mostly of academic interest, once Thompson really gets rolling (particularly with "Fear and Loathing at the Kentucky Derby") it's all ass kicking from then on. I also second Hell's Angels.

FnordChan

BruceLeeRoy said:
Got the book 7 hours ago and I am about 200 pages in, absolutely gripping stuff.

:lol

I try to read his books next to a computer. It's much easier to look up words that way.

The Road is probably the most accessible of his books, too.

Macam

Banned
title.jpg

Courtesy of lawblob's recommendation. Excellent stuff. If anyone else has any similar political recommendations, I'm all ears.

Well now that I read through this thread obviously I am going to hunt down Pratchets new book and read it asap. :D

Otherwise I am reading through the Dexter books. Disappointed though, I liked the tv series. I ordered all three at once online but the books are not as good or even that similar as the tv series. They are not terrible but not that good or that long for that matter so I am glad I got a good price for them.

Orellio said:
Ender's Game. Really awesome.

edit: I love how every month there's someone new reading Arthur C Clarke for the first time :)

Be sure to get Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Shadow books straight after you finish it.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
41QPWQtjfbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

it's supposed to be horrifying, but being the guy that expects one to go off in my lifetime. Some absolute information about it and the market is calming.

So I just finished the Lovely Bones. Fantastic read up to about the last 20 pages. I hate when that happens, nothing worse than getting really wrapped up in a book and let down by a shitty ending. Ah well.

Next up: going to try to finish American Gods, stopped right as the climax was heating up, not sure why. After that it's The Time Traveler's Wife, Middlesex or possibly The Once and Future King for the second time.

I'd really like to read Veronika Decides to Die or An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England, but I can't justify buying more books until I clear my shelf queue out a bit. :(

Oh, and Jennifer Government! Shit, I need to read that, too...I've obsessed about it ever since the hardback came out and now that it's on my shelf I never seem to get around to reading it. Too much to read right now!

Deku

Banned
I'm reading Collapse. You don't have to be an environmentalist to appreciate his case studies or the broad arguments Professor Diamond makes. And I don't believe his arguments are about saving trees or the environment for the sake of saving them, which is a position many environmentalist take. It's a more pragmatic argument of survability of our own civilizatiom. One of his strongest points was that our modern affluent societies fit well within the zenith of many past societies which did collapse and the collapse of our own societies, if we don't learn from history is not impossible, but rather quite probable. Certainly the point about fossil fuels is relevant. Oil is to to us like the trees and fertile top soil past societies cut down/destroyed in their push for growth and development, never to be replaced.

Collapse_book.jpg

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Reading this as I play the game. Only read up to how far I've played in the game. Pretty cool actually.

ForceUnleashed_novel.jpg

Need to throw out a recommendation for this book:

41QC2KGBDVL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

You will find it among the science fiction books, but there are no traditional sci-fi elements to speak of. This is a satire of a completely deregulated market, consumer addiction, and a powerless government. It is a bit predictable and even silly at times but a fun, fun read. I don't want to give anything away; if you've enjoyed the traditional dystopias - 1984, Brave New World, etc. - this is a fresh spin in that field.

Or, also, if you hate libertarians, you'll probably like this.

Rexaur

Finished reading this series

211937-19255-115540-1-marvel-zombies-2_super.jpg

and

batman-the-dark-knight-returns.jpg

Both were awesome stuff, especially The Dark Knight Returns. Kind of makes me wish they'd do a full out animated version of it.

Flynn

Futureman said:

Awesome, awesome collection. Banana Fish may be my favorite.

Just cracked Anathem and this:

51OO5EcTOiL._SS500_.jpg

It's a non-fiction account of Aleister Crowley's involvement with British intelligence -- apparently he was involved with cloak and dagger stuff during WWII. Sounds like the kind of thing Alan Moore would make up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
27wvnd2.jpg

Amy Hempel's Reasons To Live and Ross Macdonald's Zebra-Striped Hearse. The Hempel stories aren't really doing anything for me so far, but Macdonald's novel is very enjoyable. I love the Archer character, although I keep picturing him as Paul Newman's Harper.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Keen said:

was thinking about getting this. How is it?

As for me

51FXfcf7mpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

reading the 3rd book. Black Powder War

Fun reads. Light and interesting.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Blackace said:

As for me

51FXfcf7mpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

reading the 3rd book. Black Powder War

Fun reads. Light and interesting.

I really like it, so pick it =)

Gozan

Blackace said:

You haven't read The Black Company? Well, it's like the Malazan series. Only good. Cook uses a paragraph where Erikson wastes a chapter.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Glad to see a recommendation for The Happiness Hypothesis. Tis very good.

Lately I've been juggling these:

51MHHT608ML._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

A bit Oprah-esque, but I found it very good. If you could actually concieve of the world as it suggests, it would be very powerful. I'm still trying :)

1591841038.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Listening to this mostly when working out. It's a hodge-podge of essays, some good.

14999902.JPG

Just started this one..convincing opening, at least.

473891643_fa9783b45b.jpg

Read it before, but dipping back into it again. Pretty motivational.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
pjberri said:
006050740301lzzzzzzz.jpg

417tDPAWUOL.jpg

And a few books on On Kawara, Lawrence Weiner and Christopher Wool.

Good choices. I had to read the cheese monkeys for an intro class back in school, I should reread it sometime.

Top Bottom